• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moderators

Page 424 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:

RedheadDane said:
I'm just curious about the difference between red mods and green mods. Seniority? Amount of power? Cake?
Red Rick and King Boonen have been added to the forum administrators group which allows them to have access to the forum software administrator panel. Having this access allows them to certain tools that help make moderation a little more efficient and they can take care of forum housekeeping. They’re still moderators, as Eshnar, Susan and I am.

Re: Re:

Irondan said:
RedheadDane said:
I'm just curious about the difference between red mods and green mods. Seniority? Amount of power? Cake?
Red Rick and King Boonen have been added to the forum administrators group which allows them to have access to the forum software administrator panel. Having this access allows them to certain tools that help make moderation a little more efficient and they can take care of forum housekeeping. They’re still moderators, as Eshnar, Susan and I am.

Can I have the cake instead?

Re: Re:

Netserk said:
RedheadDane said:
Everyone knows Siths use red lightsabers ;)

As Irondan says, they have now access to the dark side of the force :O
0bhlxk2.jpg

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello. What were the two bans for? I HONESTLY have no idea.

Thansk for an answer. I hope my conlusion that this is the thread to ask such questions is right.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Kokoso said:

Thansk for an answer. I hope my conlusion that this is the thread to ask such questions is right.
Two personal attacks/ trolling posts. I believe they were also I a thread where I had specifically asked users to calm down and stop this.
So when you ask why is someone acting stupid, is that personal attack, or trolling?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
a note to king boonen or any other mod: pls note that since his comeback the dude resorted to the same lil Qs (in all of his 4 or 5 posts, mind you) with which he baited irondan earlier or other posters...

one cant avoid the impression that the answers are either obvious or the lil Qs can't be satisfied ;)

Kokoso said:
King Boonen said:
Kokoso said:

Two personal attacks/ trolling posts. I believe they were also I a thread where I had specifically asked users to calm down and stop this.
So when you ask why is someone acting stupid, is that personal attack, or trolling?
It’s both, along with flaming, baiting and being disrespectful to another forum member.

Perhaps a quick read through the forum rules will help you to not cross the line again, if that’s what you hope to avoid.

Re:

python said:
a note to king boonen or any other mod: pls note that since his comeback the dude resorted to the same lil Qs (in all of his 4 or 5 posts, mind you) with which he baited irondan earlier or other posters...

one cant avoid the impression that the answers are either obvious or the lil Qs can't be satisfied ;)

I can't actually believe that I need to say this again but here we go:

If you have a problem with a post or posts a user is making then use the report function and report them. Calling out users in any way is generally considered trolling and will be dealt as such by the moderators. If you feel the report function doesn't allow you to explain the issue fully then PM a mod/admin. We take all reports seriously and discuss them as a group.

Irondan said:
Kokoso said:
King Boonen said:
Kokoso said:

It’s both, along with flaming, baiting and being disrespectful to another forum member.

Perhaps a quick read through the forum rules will help you to not cross the line again, if that’s what you hope to avoid.

To expand a bit. Question the post, not the poster. It's fine to disagree with a post, as long as you back it up, but just accusing a poster of being stupid is always going to result in action, no matter what the circumstances.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Irondan said:
Kokoso said:
King Boonen said:
Kokoso said:

To expand a bit. Question the post, not the poster. It's fine to disagree with a post, as long as you back it up, but just accusing a poster of being stupid is always going to result in action, no matter what the circumstances.
But I was not accusing poster of being stupid.

Edit: there is a difference between saying someone is stupid and saying someone is acting stupid, isn't it?

Kokoso said:
King Boonen said:
Irondan said:
Kokoso said:
King Boonen said:

Edit: there is a difference between saying someone is stupid and saying someone is acting stupid, isn't it?
Not really, no. But there's a big difference in saying someone is acting stupid or saying that they're stupid and saying that a post is stupid. By calling a post stupid it still is a poor choice of words but it's not making the comment personal. Anytime you make a derogatory remark and you make it personal you'll run into problems. Am I saying that you should call everyone's post "stupid" when you don't agree with it? Absolutely not, you should always think about a better choice of words to describe a post that you think is stupid.

We're here to discuss each other's comments, not the poster personally. Which is exactly what King Boonen alluded to above in pointing out the "Post, Not Poster" policy.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Irondan said:
Kokoso said:
King Boonen said:
Irondan said:
Kokoso said:
[quote="

Not really, no. But there's a big difference in saying someone is acting stupid or saying that they're stupid and saying that a post is stupid. By calling a post stupid it still is a poor choice of words but it's not making the comment personal. Anytime you make a derogatory remark and you make it personal you'll run into problems. Am I saying that you should call everyone's post "stupid" when you don't agree with it? Absolutely not, you should always think about a better choice of words to describe a post that you think is stupid.

We're here to discuss each other's comments, not the poster personally. Which is exactly what King Boonen alluded to above in pointing out the "Post, Not Poster" policy.

Not really, no. But there's a big difference in saying someone is acting stupid or saying that they're stupid and saying that a post is stupid. By calling a post stupid it still is a poor choice of words but it's not making the comment personal.
I have hard time to agree. To me to call post stupid seems closer to say someone is acting stupid than to say someone is stupid. By saying someone is acting stupid you don't say he is stupid at all, you say he's manipulating things (and probably cleverly, but I admit it is not neccesary part of it). Now I know that to say someone he's manipulating things you would not like either, but what if it's spot on?

To say "someone is acting stupid" in reaction to post is not discussing poster personally, it is discussing his/her way of reaction. Still I agree it is poor choice of words, I agree, but what if it's spot on? Anyway, I disagree on the basis.

Re:

silvergrenade said:
Why are posters not receiving bans for posting Clinic stuff in the PRR Chris Froome thread? There have been multiple warnings already issued by mods/admins. Posters are choosing to ignore those and post whatever they feel like

Bans are not the only way we deal with these things, just because a user doesn't receive a ban doesn't mean there has been no moderation. In this specific case, generally this course of moderation is because the situation has made it complicated for people to work out what is acceptable and what isn't, especially as a lot of this can come down to moderator opinion. Things that might cross the line are discussing that border on speculation about whether Froome was doping, such as schedule, should Sky pull him from racing and so on. We recognise that it's very difficult to have a discussion about his schedule going forward and avoid this, so we are taking a very light touch to moderating that thread. Obvious doping talk will still be dealt with in the same way it always is, even the posts users think are sneaky, but we'd prefer to air on the side of caution when it isn't obvious.

Of course, users can be of huge help here. Reporting posts that are about doping AND not responding to them helps maintain the thread and makes it easy for us to deal with. Not furthering the conversation when a post borders on clinic stuff and steering it away from this area is also very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS