• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Modified Specialized Roubaix

The Specialized Roubaix was developed to be a comfortable but fast long distance road bike. It is intended for going a hundred miles or more at a brisk pace, it isn't a tourer for dawdling on. It's named after a race.

However, I obtained it for riding the Paris-Brest-Paris (PBP). Despite this event from it's origins in 1893 being a race, it isn't now but a kind of endurance test. It runs every four years and five thousand riders from all over the world start the event.

So for this kind of non-competitive, self supported, long distance riding the Roubaix needs some changes. I've removed the factory wheels and replaced them, fitted lights and mudguards. Full details and pictures On my audaxing blog

titleshot said:
What is the point of this thread, telling people that you put lights on your bike, or to get people to read your blog??

The lights are not the point. The bike is set up to do long distance rides. I've tried to explain why I've altered it.

For example a 36h rear wheel is probably not necessary for most bike riding but for the sort of stuff I do, it's nice to have.

The point of the thread is, my Specialized Roubaix is better equipped for long distance riding than many other bikes out there. Anyone interested in long distance riding- and as it is PBP next year that is quite a few- might want to take a look

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
titleshot said:
What is the point of this thread, telling people that you put lights on your bike, or to get people to read your blog??

Agreed. The less that we feed the narcissism, the more chance that these posts will disappear.