• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mollema - Rider Safety

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/ba...n-in-rider-safety-ahead-of-the-tour-de-france

Personally I think he's spot on.

When I saw the title I thought... oh god no! Mollema has become a whiner as well. Guess staying close to Cancellara effects you, but then I read it and first he starts about safe courses and he is actually quite reasonable regarding safe courses. So I'm not going to complain about that at all.

He suggests smaller teams, no race radios and changing the 3k rule to 5 or 10km.

For all these matters I 100% agree.

I hope he can get a lot of attention with this.

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Good to read the views of a WT pro. There's no doubt that before team radio there were fewer crashes, however I fear they're here to stay. The DS wants control even if he's an idiot. The bizarre scenes we witnessed in the Giro bear witness to that.

Re:

Billie said:
https://youtu.be/NauEIFAYDBc?t=37

The guy not braking and crashing full speed into the Lampre rider on the left is Mollema. :rolleyes:

He was even proud of what he did there later that day.. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kwibus is spot on.

Regarding what he did and his attitude... he HAS to keep racing in that situation or lose overall time. Change the rules so he doesn't at the end of a flat stage and he'd have just waited until it was clear.

I agree about the radios and the team size (although there's the issue of how many riders would lose their jobs in that case; it's a real concern that needs to be addressed). I agree that the way everybody rides for a top 10 is part of the problem, although it seems he accepts that as a fact of life that makes perfect sense and that shouldn't be changed. I don't agree with extending the safe zone to 5 or 10 km to go.

Still though, even if he said things I disagree with, it's nice to see a pro saying them, instead of falling back on the same old platitudes about radios and the need of teams to have everything under control.

Re:

hrotha said:
I don't agree with extending the safe zone to 5 or 10 km to go.

Still though, even if he said things I disagree with, it's nice to see a pro saying them, instead of falling back on the same old platitudes about radios and the need of teams to have everything under control.

I don't agree with that either, I think the rule needs to change as it is reactive and not proactive. It does nothing to actually help rider saftey, it just means if they can carry on they haven't been penalised for it.

Fully agree with you about him speaking out, very good to hear.

TRENDING THREADS