• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Monaro Cloudride 1000

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Just three days leave between Easter and Anzac Day and you can cruise this over nine days or race it and be back in three days to start work on Tuesday.:D

The Monaro Cloudride 1000 is a mountain bike endurance ride that traverses the ridgetops of the Great Dividing Range through the Monaro region of south east Australia. Constantly challenging the skills of the rider with the demands of speed, climbing, descending, endurance and bike handling skills – add the demands of navigation, limited resupply along the route, long hours in the saddle and you introduce the companions of the long distance rider, mental fatigue, loneliness and the mirror of self.

With 24,000 metres of vertical climbing over 1000 kilometres across the rooftop of Australia, riders will experience breathtaking wilderness areas of our national parks, vistas that go forever and the solitude and beauty of our high country plains. The Monaro Cloudride 1000 will demand extraordinary determination and also an acceptance that the elements can and will sometimes prevail and reshape your journey. Those who finish can cherish and remember their time on the Monaro Cloudride 1000 as a lifetime achievement.

The route for this event has been chosen to provide a demanding mix of mountain biking skills with a constant overlay of endurance and speed intensity. Slow grinding rubble strewn sections are constantly interchanged with fast flowing forest roads and open hard packed shire roads where, if favourable conditions prevail, high end average speeds can recover time lost on the more difficult sections. Challenge yourself ...
Just three days leave between Easter and Anzac Day this year and you can cruise this over nine days or race it in three and back at work Tuesday morning:D

http://www.cloudride1000.com

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Looks like you'd be better off on a cyclocross bike based on those photos.

Was thinking the same, but some of those long steep descents are on a 'road base' of fist to babyhead size rocks a foot deep. You'll want to be able to get your weight waaaaaaay back to stop your front wheel ploughing in, and want some decent volume tyres too.

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Bike Choice

Plenty of this you will be grateful for at least front suspension but there are certainly some fast sections where a cyclocross bike would be fine.

Faced with the prospect of substantial kilometres of rubble strewn, guttered fire trail, very tired arms and upper body fatigue I think a mountain bike with 2.2 tyres would [and is] my weapon of choice ... but I don't have a cyclocross bike anyway.

Getting some interesting entries from past recent year US Tour Divide riders and a few who have put their name down for June 2014. A few hoping to finish under five days, a few aiming at 8-10

rogerg

BANNED
Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
great event :)
wso.jpg

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Cloudrider said:
Plenty of this you will be grateful for at least front suspension but there are certainly some fast sections where a cyclocross bike would be fine.

Faced with the prospect of substantial kilometres of rubble strewn, guttered fire trail, very tired arms and upper body fatigue I think a mountain bike with 2.2 tyres would [and is] my weapon of choice ... but I don't have a cyclocross bike anyway.

Getting some interesting entries from past recent year US Tour Divide riders and a few who have put their name down for June 2014. A few hoping to finish under five days, a few aiming at 8-10

June? Won't some of the route potentially be a bit snowy?

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
The Cloudride starts Easter Saturday 19 April..... several Aussie riders who have entered will go on and do the Tour Divide which starts in Banff CA Friday 13 June 2014 ..... could be snow in the high country in Australia in April and sure to be some in the high peaks that the TDR trail passes through in June.

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
2014 Cloudride Start List

Rider List and extended profiles up on our website

Starts 8:00am Easter Saturday 19 April

The Cyclery
5 Lonsdale St
BRADDON

All welcome!

Arran Pearson has been a late scratching ...

Ross Hamilton M 26 Melbourne Bike: GT Zaskar 29r HT
Alistar Cowan M 27 Melbourne Bike: Niner MCR 29er HT
Ollie Whalley [NZ] M 28 Sydney Bike: Lynskey Ridgeline SL 29er Rohlff Rigid
Jackie Bernadi F 34 Melbourne Bike: Specalised Epic 26 Dual
Nathan Mawkes [NZ] M 37 Auckland Bike: Santa Cruz Highball Carbon 29er Rigid
Matt de Belin M 40 Sydney Bike: Niner S•I•R 9 29er Steel Rigid
Scott Robinson M 43 Wilberforce Bike: Giant XTC 29er HT
Nijat Imin M 44 Canberra Bike: GT Zaskar 26 HT
Neil Cowan M 56 Melbourne Bike: Salsa Fargo 2 29er Rigid
Steve Watson M 60+ Canberra Bike: Kona King Kahuna Carbon 29er HT

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
2015 Maonaro Cloudride 1000

Monaro Cloudride 1000
Easter Saturday 4 April 2015

The Monaro Cloudride website has now been revised with some changes and polish put on the rules of engagement for 2015. Entries will open on 1 January 2015.

We are expecting a significant growth in our start list for 2015 and with that will come greater scrutiny of riders route compliance and expectations of rider observance of the established protocols for self supported bikepacking. As some of you may have observed there has been a lengthy debate on bikepacking.net >>Forums>> Ultra Racing regarding the ‘spirit’ of riding in and committing to these events. With regard to the ‘rules’ for the Cloudride I have taken the view that less is better and have carefully chosen the words to reflect the intent that you are on your own out there. The decisions you make regarding navigation, resupply and distance ridden are your own and if you fail, fall short and or vary from the ride course you must take full and sole responsibility for your decisions. Your backup option is not the next rider who comes along or the nearby farmhouse. You accept, and ride on with the consequences of your decisions.

http://www.bikepacking.net

The Cloudride is a tough punishing ride interspersed with moments of joy, relief and triumph. Be prepared for it at the start, commit to finishing it and be rewarded with a great sense of personal achievement when you do finish.

I will look forward to seeing the entries come tumbling in from January 1.

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
2015 Cloudride 1000 Entries open Jan 1.

Monaro Cloudride 1000
Easter Saturday 4 April 2015

ENTRIES OPEN 1 January 2015

The Monaro Cloudride website has now been revised with some changes and polish put on the rules of engagement for 2015. Entries will open on 1 January 2015.

We are expecting a significant growth in our start list for 2015 and with that will come greater scrutiny of riders route compliance and expectations of rider observance of the established protocols for self supported bikepacking. As some of you may have observed there has been a lengthy debate on bikepacking.net >>Forums>> Ultra Racing regarding the ‘spirit’ of riding in and committing to these events. With regard to the ‘rules’ for the Cloudride I have taken the view that less is better and have carefully chosen the words to reflect the intent that you are on your own out there. The decisions you make regarding navigation, resupply and distance ridden are your own and if you fail, fall short and or vary from the ride course you must take full and sole responsibility for your decisions. Your backup option is not the next rider who comes along or the nearby farmhouse. You accept, and ride on with the consequences of your decisions.

http://www.bikepacking.net

The Cloudride is a tough punishing ride interspersed with moments of joy, relief and triumph. Be prepared for it at the start, commit to finishing it and be rewarded with a great sense of personal achievement when you do finish.

I will look forward to seeing the entries come tumbling in from January 1.