• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moose is happy. New cross wheels!

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance as I don't know much about cyclocross, but is there any reason why they can't be used on the road?

That's a great price for carbon wheels...

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Reynolds DV46 Cross wheels just arrived. 1278 grams on my scale.
Price was right too. $999 at JensonUSA. Can't complain. I have a set of these and they are phenomenal.

When you say you have a set of these do you mean you already owned a set or that you now have the set that just arrived?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
flyor64 said:
Excuse my ignorance as I don't know much about cyclocross, but is there any reason why they can't be used on the road?

That's a great price for carbon wheels...
I believe that they are just a heavier rim, with a different lay up, the spokes and hubs are identical as is the rim depth.

I do not know about the width profile. As you know it is important for Tubs to have the bed in as much contact with the glue patch as possible, if the Cross is designed for (say) 32mm tyres, and the section of the rim is based on that and you put a 22mm tyre on then the edges (WHERE MOST OF THE STRENGTH IS) would be less supported and
the glue would under a degree of stress in normal use, which would be amplified when doing something like cornering
Mind you, if it is the other way, designed for 22mm tyres abd you put something bigger on this is less of an issue, because the key contact points (the edge) remains firm, the centre is pulling a way a little, but it is minor.

I believe it is a discontinued model, maybe they are satisfied that the new "UL" road one will do the job for the crossies?
Otherwise we are only talking about 100g over the "road" ones and 250 over the High Modulus CF in the UL

So in short they would be fine for the road if they tyre is appropriate for the

TRENDING THREADS