• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

More Money for the UCI

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
It is not per se a bad thing to branch out to the non traditional countries for World Tour Level racing, if

a) races are well organised
b) have a sporting interest (not like TT 20 k'ish, and 4 sprints)

Pat

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
part b could be rephrased: b) the exact opposite of the Tour of Beijing

I'm still waiting for the UCI to diversify with something like the Tour of the Congo or the Bosaso-Mogadishu... That I would definitely watch

Swiss Francs

C'mon now you guys! The Chinese have to burn their pile of Swiss Francs somehow.

Spending a few hundred thousand is barely beer money to the Chinese. Last time I checked, they were supposed to be switching to a consumer-based economy. The regional government is leading the way!

What's most interesting to me is how much Pat and Alain are making as commission on the deal.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Roude Leiw said:
It is not per se a bad thing to branch out to the non traditional countries for World Tour Level racing, if

a) races are well organised
b) have a sporting interest (not like TT 20 k'ish, and 4 sprints)

Pat

Yes, but we all know that's not what the original poster was saying. Even with all the territory available to them in China, Pat and his merry men couldn't be bothered to make a decent race. It was a shameless moneygrab, as it this.

Isn't it funny how in world sport, expanding horizons into new territories always seems to end up meaning "this corrupt yet cash-rich state is keen to pay us (and more specifically the most important thing in he world - me!) to bring the sport here."

2022 World Cup in Qatar
Bahrain Grand Prix
Dubai Sevens (rugby sevens)
****stan playing cricket matches in Dubai
Dubai tennis tournaments

As someone above pointed out rather well, we're unlikely to see events in countries which can't afford to line the pockets of the crooks that run world sport.

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
How long before the UCI try to force a Grand Tour of China on everyone? Looks likely with the two races already there, just add another week of racing in between and there it is. I, for one, cannot wait.

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
****stan playing cricket matches in Dubai
So where do you suggest ****stan play their "home" cricket matches? At least in Dubai they can play the same time of year in similar conditions, unlike say England

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Morbius said:
So where do you suggest ****stan play their "home" cricket matches? At least in Dubai they can play the same time of year in similar conditions, unlike say England

In ****stan. And yeah, you'd have thought that someone might have said that you can say ****, as long as you have stan right after it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
orbeas said:
Looks like El Presedente and his bunch of bandits are lineing there pockets again !!!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-of-hangzou-poised-to-enter-worldtour
I know it is quite fashionable to bash Pat and the UCI but I presume you are speaking of the UCI connected organizer? I don't think Pat is on that side of the organization? That is Alain Rumpf's toy. I worry more that this new entity will burn UCI money instead of make any.
I personally prefer to see organizers make money. It motivates them to do it again.
So I take it you see this as a personal enrichment scheme by Pat and the big boys that is taking advantage of their power in the sport? is that it or is there a point to your statement?