• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Morkov - king of breakaways in 2012

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Michael Morkov has been in the successful breakaways in these races I remember this year:

Stage Paris Nice
Waregem
San Remo
Wevelgem
Stage De Panne
Three first stages TdF

You´re free to add more, possibly I forgot races...

He is the most combative rider in 2012, that´s for sure. Extremely good instict, this rider.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
RHRH19861986 said:
He is the most combative rider in 2012, that´s for sure. Extremely good instict, this rider.

There's other point too this instinct too ;)

Did any of those break make it to the finish and fight for win ?

No ;)

He's not really picking greatest breaks to go too ;)

However, other than that. Amazing fighter !

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Gloin22 said:

No ;)

I honestly think he wouldn´t be capable of winning neither a classique nor a Tour stage. ;)

But the way he rides is better than e.g. Rojas or Van Hummel do, who don´t join breakaways, trust in their finishes and always get 5th...

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I forgot, I remember a Jörg Jaksche quote. He said, he´d bet 1000 Euros he would join every breakaway he wanted to join in each race from February to October. In the Tour, however, he statet that you could completely forget about that.

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I doubt he's been riding breakaways to win. He's making the switch from track to road and is using breakaways to improve is engine.

RHRH19861986 said:
Michael Morkov has been in the successful breakaways in these races I remember this year:

Stage Paris Nice
Waregem
San Remo
Wevelgem
Stage De Panne
Three first stages TdF

You´re free to add more, possibly I forgot races...

Is he better than Jeremy Roy? :rolleyes:

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Yes Mørkøv is part of the danish olympic track pursuit team. But he wants to be full time road racer, so he is doing what he can for the team. Also before stage 1 he said in an interview that his goal for the stage was to get the dots and try to be on the podium, and then in the followind days get in breaks if he could so he could keep the jersey until the weekend. So far he has delivered quite well.

Also as a bonus all this breakaway racing, makes him better on the road, and it makes him better at choosing the right ones. I think he has some nice victories and jersyes ahead of him in the future.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I guess now, they only real interesting thing about the stage tomorrow is whether Morkov will have recovered enough to go in the breakaway again

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Gloin22 said:

No ;)

He was very very close in TDS. Just a matter of time before he gets one right.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Geraint Too Fast said:
He might as well. There's no classified climbs on Thursday, so that's basically a rest day for him.

Well, he looked absolutely cooked today towards the end of the stage. I guess we'll find out if he recovers well

May 28, 2012
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
The king of breakaways is the guy that goes in a breakaway and actually wins the race or at the very least sometimes. Just sayin'

Absolutely right. Imo either Albasini, Rabottini or De Gendt is the Breakaway King this year.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
Those are two different things.

Breakaway King - a guy that had a major success in the break.

King of the breakaways - a guy that spends the most time in the breaks.

No, that's something you just made up.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
The king of breakaways is the guy that goes in a breakaway and actually wins the race or at the very least sometimes. Just sayin'

I'm sure a few days in the polka-dot jersey for a guy like Morkov is kinda
Charlie-Sheen-Winning1.jpg

TRENDING THREADS