• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Morkov - king of breakaways in 2012

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Froome19 said:
And this wasnt?

Fair enough, but the word king in this sentence implies being the best at something. What's better than spending a lot of time in a breakaway? Spending a lot of time in a breakaway and winning!

LaFlorecita said:
Oleg Tinkov ‏@olegtinkov
I like Morkov's attitude from @saxobanktinkoff , no surprise he has a Russian last name) #TdF #tour #letour

Hmmm --- I think Oleg needs to learn some Danish ;)

Morkov's surname is Mørkøv with two Danish Ø's.

The 'Ø' is pronounced almost like the 'E' in 'THE'
The 'V' is pronounced as 'V' in 'VIDEO'.

Guy's just crazy!

But he won't be allowed to attack tomorrow, unless Riis is going have to bring him in himself:

http://drupal-sporten.tv2.dk/tour/2012-07-03-riis-trussel-til-mørkøv-henter-dig-selv

---

Oleg Tinkov thinks Mørkøv might have Russian ancestry somewhere. The Norwegians apparently found out he's got a Norwegian grandmother (or great-grandmother) and are trying to nationalize him. They can all just forget it! He's Danish!

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
jyhjyh said:
Hmmm --- I think Oleg needs to learn some Danish ;)

Morkov's surname is Mørkøv with two Danish Ø's.

The 'Ø' is pronounced almost like the 'E' in 'THE'
The 'V' is pronounced as 'V' in 'VIDEO'.

Oh, no. What's next, someone's gonna tell me that Alexander Kristoff's last name actually is NOT Russian?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
Doesn't the most kms spent in a breakaway make you the best breakaway rider?

What's harder: going into a breakaway that everyone knows is doomed(like on a flat stage) or going into a breakaway that almost always will succeed to the end(like on a transition stage)?

Quality > Quantity.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
The king of breakaways is the guy that goes in a breakaway and actually wins the race or at the very least sometimes. Just sayin'

Well his primary goals has been the polka dot and he has obtained what he came for. Might not be a win but its surely a result. The best part is that before the Tour, his first btw, he said he wanted to try to take the Polka dot on the 1st stage, and he did. Not bad in his first Tour.

Now I just hope he relaxes a bit and then he can go in some breakaways that actually stands a chance later on in the race

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Cimber said:
Well his primary goals has been the polka dot and he has obtained what he came for. Might not be a win but its surely a result. The best part is that before the Tour, his first btw, he said he wanted to try to take the Polka dot on the 1st stage, and he did. Not bad in his first Tour.

Now I just hope he relaxes a bit and then he can go in some breakaways that actually stands a chance later on in the race

Morkov is having a great Tour, but does that make him the best in this category? Not in my opinion.

Well, Riis was pretty adamantant, that tomorrow he'll have to work for JJ. I.e. no break away :(

Re: Being "best" break away rider.
His objective with these 3 break aways, were all to get and hold the polka dot jersey. So, he set himself a goal, and he obtained that. Deserves respect for that IMHO. But to call him king of break aways, or break away king.... Nah, not yet... Maybe when he gets stage win from one ;)

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
We don't have to call him anything. He is just awesome. I mean, have you seen how he catched Grivko after he attacked? And he is actually a sprinter! Don't be afraid, he will win a stage from a breakaway. Maybe not in this Tour, but he has got already the Polka dot. I think it's something to mention. Name for him, name for the team, money for him, money for the team. I just want to see that attitude from the other team members, and I will be happy. Yes, a stage win could be good too, but he at least tries something to reach it.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Mørkøv is one of the most diligent, thorough and dedicated riders on the pro tour, he leaves nothing to chance in either his training or his lifestyle.

He is a textbook example of a Proffessionel rider and he is deeply respected for his professionalism in everything he does.
He is a former world champion in indidviduel Pursuit and tandem pursuit with Alex Rasmussen, and have won several 6-day races.
He knows what he's doing, he always has a plan with the things he does.
And this is far from the last we will hear from Mørkøv, both in this tour but also in the future, the man has a will and an ability to achieve the goals he has set for himself, and he always managed to archieve these goals.
One of his greatest talent is that he knows his limitations.

And besides that, he is just a very nice person with both feet on the ground and I don´t think you could wish for a better team mate, he´s loyal and very hard working for the team and team mates.

And to those who says he won´t win a stage or a race even he is in a breakaway should get their facts straight, the guy is extremely fast and not many can beat him unless your a pure sprinter.

Catwhoorg said:
I read on the Sky tracker, that he is part of the Olympics track (team pursuit) squad.

Rather unusual preparation, so have little doubt he will drop at some point for final tuning on the track.
He said that the Tour had first priorities and he'd ride until the end before thinking about the Olympic Games. Contract talks are also on the table so I imagine he'd want to improve and impress.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
bjaelkesex said:
He said that the Tour had first priorities and he'd ride until the end before thinking about the Olympic Games. Contract talks are also on the table so I imagine he'd want to improve and impress.

Ofcourse it is, like it is for everybody else in the peloton without contracts for next season.

And I´m sure Riis got him cheap when he came from team GLS back in 2009 as Neo pro, and Riis is unfortunately not the person who gives huge increase in riders salary, even when they deserve it, just ask Goss...I bet he´s still banging his head for missing that one...

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Saw him say that he has tired himself out and that 3 consecutive days in the break is amazing for his first Tour and now he will try to consolidate.. will try to find the interview later.

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Well it's clever riding. Get in some breakaways on stages where Saxo is going to do absolutely **** all anyway, and for his efforts he's managed to secure polka dots all the way till Saturday, giving Saxo-Tinkoff some kind of exposure/results, which they're unlikely to have much of by the end of the tour. That and he's helped made dreary flat stages more exciting.

And of course it helps him look good for his ongoing contract negotiations with Riis. And possibly made other teams take note.

Side note, the name is Mørkøv, not Morkov, though most people don't seem to care.

TRENDING THREADS