• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Morkov - king of breakaways in 2012

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
roundabout said:
Most people don't have those weird looking "o"s

You are absolutely right its more and less a Scandinavian letter but it could also look like this for non Scandinavians Ö pronounced as in Österreich or OE / oe.

Think that this year Michael have been pressing him self to get on a other level with his many breakouts in the spring and now it starts to pay a little of, if he keeps on like this I believe that he might get a win this year but certainly next year the result of the work done the last two years.

He have won the golds on track, quite a few of the biggest 6days and what some have forgotten silver at the Olympic games (also track).

He is not bad at all hes just one of these helpers who always have fought hard for the captain and looked anonymous for the tv viewer.

We all know quite a lot of riders who started with breakaways for two or tree seasons getting stronger and getting closer to the taste of a win, this is what happens to Michael right now and probably next year also and with the right luck maybe a win in a semi classic or a stage in one of the GT, if that happens 2014 might be the year of Michael but could also be the year where his limit appears as a dark horse for a semi or as a super domestic.

As a Dane I cross my fingers for he could be a rider type as Jensie and hopefully same level... I know its a dream but everything is possible with the right attitude and will which I know he have.

Anyway I think he just made us all a favor making the first stages of the tour a little more exiting or less boring cant be a bad thing ;-)

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
Yes and Gusev is Гусев, Arashiro is 新城幸也. And God knows how many cyclists in the peloton have their name written wrongly, and we are going to care about Morkov...

It where just as a info since some where asking/talking about, if a person can complain about a info then the person probably could keep his negative thoughts for him self and let those who think okay now I know that.

This is a tread about Mørkøv and not the rest remember that if you don't like it look at any other tread then this.

The e-pen.. wont be bigger of that ;)

Madone said:
It where just as a info since some where asking/talking about, if a person can complain about a info then the person probably could keep his negative thoughts for him self and let those who think okay now I know that.

This is a tread about Mørkøv and not the rest remember that if you don't like it look at any other tread then this.

The e-pen.. wont be bigger of that ;)

I wasn't referring to your post, i appreciate that one, but someone before you complained how we don't care about him being Morkov rather than M/ork/ov, or how you write that O.

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:
I wasn't referring to your post, i appreciate that one, but someone before you complained how we don't care about him being Morkov rather than M/ork/ov, or how you write that O.

Many posts cant have everybody's interest that's why we all have the possibility to quote and post to those posts that have interest no reason to dis anybody just smile and have a grin over that the person don't know that Ø only is to find on a Nordic keyboard (in Denmark you learn that when you are 8-9 years old) :D

By the way good word again and no bad feelings :)

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
how about some love for the other trackie/6 day riders that have been going in early breaks, chasing down breaks, even winning sometimes. Alex Rasmussen and Iljo Keisse, along with Morkov have been doing an outstanding job for their teams on the road while still winning 6-days, that is old-school cycling right thur

Michael-Morkov-Tour-de-France-KOM.jpg

2012_tour_of_turkey_stage7_iljo_keisse_wins.jpg

alex_rasmussen_600.jpg

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
What did Alex win from a breakaway?

As for Keisse, well... if you're talking about his Tour of Turkey win I can tell you he's been giving his well-deserved prize for that one! :cool:

I never said all three of them have won on the road from a breakaway (but I'm sure if you dug deep enough you would find a win on some level) I just respect what those three have done this year on the road when they are trackies. that pic of Alex is from a track event. and Iljo has done way more for OPQS than just win one stage of a second level tour.
I hope Alex does get to ride the Olympics and finds a new contract next year.

Opalius said:
In other news... Oleg gives Mørkøv a platinum card to his bank as pay for his dotted troubles the last couple of days. Nobody knows how much there's on the account if anything.

http://www.sporten.dk/cykling/moerkoev-om-tinkov-gave-kraever-penge (danish)

Think Riis has gotten hold of one eccentric sponsor... Oh well, good for the sport I guess with a sponsor who's personally interested in cycling.

Lol he keeps his promise.

LaFlorecita said:
Oleg Tinkov ‏@olegtinkov
Where Morkov is getting energy from) 3 consecutive days in breakaway, solid. We will issue for him @tcsbank Platinum @saxobanktinkoff #tour

:p

I love that man :p

I think what's amazing is his ability to hit the breakaways - I mean the ones that succeed in getting free of the peloton. That's at least how I understand the comments from the other riders... He gets in the breaks not because he keeps trying and attacking anything with a pulse, but because (track experience?) he's good at sensing the right opportunities.

He'll win at some point in a break - no doubt.

Seeing him in a break is getting normal - not seeing him in one is starting to feel like he's being dropped... And the dots look good on him too...

Well, Morkov had his fun, during the first 3 stages :) From now on, I think Riis will decide when he is allowed to try to get in the break, and when he is not.

Might sound boring, but I think that he'll only join breaks when Riis gives the ok from now on.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Mørkøv update

After Mørkøv and the Danish pursuit team got 4th best time in the qualifying round yesterday Denmark ended up in the battle for fifth after loosing the semi to GB (the Russians was just 0.16 seconds faster than DK and had the advantage of pursuiting the Dutch who are considerably slower). Denmark switched in their reserve rider instead of Lasse Norman Hansen (who will be riding omnium). Even under those unmotivating circumstances Mørkøv goes to the task absolutely serious and focused and was all fist pumping and screaming after Denmark beat Spain for fifth in a far from good time (4:02:746 compared to 3:57:396 in the semi).

TRENDING THREADS