• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most different winning riders

I was looking at some team wins this year and I noticed that Orica-Greenedge has won with 15 different riders this year so that led me to compile the following statistics:

Omega Pharma 41 victories 9 different riders + 1 TTT
Sky Procycling 31 victories 8 different riders + 2 TTT
Orica Greenedge 28 victories 15 different riders + 1 TTT
NMovistar 26 victories 10 different riders
Cannondale 24 victories 8 different riders
Europcar 22 victories 11 different riders
Lotto 22 victories 7 different riders
Belkin 21 victories 11 different riders
BMC 20 victories 9 different riders + 1 TTT
FDJ 20 victories 8 different riders
Katusha 20 victories 12 different riders
Radioshack 18 victories 10 different riders
Argos-Shimano 17 victories 3 different riders
Garmin 13 victories 8 different riders
Astana 13 victories 7 different riders
Lampre 9 victories 5 different riders
Vacansoleil 7 victories 6 different riders
Ag2r 7 victories 5 different riders
Euskaltel 6 victories 4 different riders
Saxo-Tinkoff 5 victories 4 different riders

It seems it has really payed off for Orica-Greenedge to fill their teams with lots of sprinters. Another interesting team is Argos-Shimano that is very much a one-trick pony this year.

Interesting list. Its probably more stable for OGE to spread it around, perhaps they don't have the funds for a big name rider, equally, Matt Goss has not fulfilled expectations either, so maybe the numbers are indicative of them spreading the support around a bit more.

del1962 said:
I bet they would trade those wins for a monument.

Well, they won a monument last year so they're probably happy with how they are doing. The reason they are further behind in the overall rankings is because they have much fewer high GC placings than teams with more GC riders. I'm sure they are much more happy with 28 wins compared to if they traded 10 wins for 10 top 5 GC places even if that moved them up on the overall team ranking.

ingsve said:
Well, they won a monument last year so they're probably happy with how they are doing. The reason they are further behind in the overall rankings is because they have much fewer high GC placings than teams with more GC riders. I'm sure they are much more happy with 28 wins compared to if they traded 10 wins for 10 top 5 GC places even if that moved them up on the overall team ranking.

I don't know, I think a top 5 gc is better than a stage in the same race, of course a TDF stage beats wining some stage races though.

On an aside I see PK's win in the Lincoln GP is not included.

del1962 said:
I don't know, I think a top 5 gc is better than a stage in the same race, of course a TDF stage beats wining some stage races though.

On an aside I see PK's win in the Lincoln GP is not included.

I think that's only true for the GTs. Coming 5th in Tour de Med for example is very meh but a win there is still a win. One could perhaps argue that a 5th place in GC in some WT races like Dauphine or Paris-Nice might also compete with a win in those races but it's not something that is true for all WT stages races if any.

The Lincoln GP is not a UCI classified race as far as I can see and it hasn't been since 2005. The UCI doesn't recognize criteriums are proper races.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The Lincoln GP isn't a criterium but is unclassified (i.e. below 1.2)

Greenedge won't care where they are in the rankings as long as it's top 15.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I think HTC columbia at its peek had 50+ top podium positions and top spot in cqrankings. i dont think they had many GC riders in that squad. (dont say wiggins. he was a nobody then in road.)

having said that, i really like the oge strategy though. most of their victories are from riders not part of the main peloton..