• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most durable derailleur pulley?

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
A simple question: Which derailleur pulley (original or aftermarket) is the most durable?

A lot of the ones I have used over the years have durable aluminum or stainless steel cogs, whereas the single sealed ball bearing never lasts for long. Probably because the single bearing is subject to sidewards twisting, destroying the bearing fast.

Back in the 1970es, a small Danish manufacturer made pulleys with t w o minute sealed ball bearings side by side. Like in a bicycle hub. The Danish pros at the time used them season after season. The bearings never wore out, and only the cog material needed renewing.

Is anything like this still available?

Is ceramic bearings the answer?

Let me hear your experiences!:)

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ulrikmm said:
A simple question: Which derailleur pulley (original or aftermarket) is the most durable?

A lot of the ones I have used over the years have durable aluminum or stainless steel cogs, whereas the single sealed ball bearing never lasts for long. Probably because the single bearing is subject to sidewards twisting, destroying the bearing fast.

Back in the 1970es, a small Danish manufacturer made pulleys with t w o minute sealed ball bearings side by side. Like in a bicycle hub. The Danish pros at the time used them season after season. The bearings never wore out, and only the cog material needed renewing.

Is anything like this still available?

Is ceramic bearings the answer?

Let me hear your experiences!:)

Depends what derailleur you're riding? I usually replace the jockey wheel on my ultegra derailleurs with the the DA one. The ultegra is a sleeve bearing with a craptastic rubber seal what often half way comes out and starts creating drag. The DA jockey wheel is a cartridge bearing.