• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most former winners in one Tour?

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
This year - four. Armstrong, Pererio, Contador and Sastre.

In recent years, Armstrong, Ullrich and Pantani appeared in a single edition.

Is this year a record?

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
lawhoo said:
This year - four. Armstrong, Pererio, Contador and Sastre.

In recent years, Armstrong, Ullrich and Pantani appeared in a single edition.

Is this year a record?

that's like 3 1/2, because Pererio... come on.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
I consider Rasmussen the winner of the 07 tour. He had it sewn up. People belittle Pereiro's victory for not being won on the road, but Contador's wasn't either.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Sure he was caught, but Pereiro I just don't respect the only reason he was even in second is he was in a breakaway that went away for thirty minutes, if he was even 8 minutes back then went in a move and was second then fine. Don't bring up contador because contador was battling rasmussen all through the race and the he still had to put in a great performance to hold off evans. And he has gone on to win two more grand tours what has pereiro done since.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
Sure he was caught, but Pereiro I just don't respect the only reason he was even in second is he was in a breakaway that went away for thirty minutes, if he was even 8 minutes back then went in a move and was second then fine. Don't bring up contador because contador was battling rasmussen all through the race and the he still had to put in a great performance to hold off evans. And he has gone on to win two more grand tours what has pereiro done since.

Yeah he battled with Rasmussen, and lost. Still a brilliant rider, perhaps the best in the world at GT's today, but if Landis won 06 then Rasmussen won 07.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Ibanez said:
Yeah he battled with Rasmussen, and lost. Still a brilliant rider, perhaps the best in the world at GT's today, but if Landis won 06 then Rasmussen won 07.

I don't know. That last ITT was pretty long. With Chicken's bike handling skills, or lack of, a couple of falls were likely. It would have been mighty close.

franciep10 said:
Sure he was caught, but Pereiro I just don't respect the only reason he was even in second is he was in a breakaway that went away for thirty minutes....

Hold on a minute. Go back and watch that Tour again. Oscar lost almost that same amount of time on a previous stage, which is why he was able to gain back so much time in that breakaway. The peloton let him go, knowing he was that far behind, and they'd likely eventually catch him. Oscar was a serious contender that year, and in 2005 finished in 10th, just behind Landis who was 9th. You make it sound like he was an average rider who got a 30 minute gap, and the rest of the Tour the leaders chased him down.

By your logic, I could say about Floyd, "Come on. The only reason he won is he got in a breakaway that gained 8 minutes on Stage 17."

The race was won, and lost, on the road, by both riders. Both rode great races that year. Take your pick who you believe won.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Hold on a minute. Go back and watch that Tour again. Oscar lost almost that same amount of time on a previous stage, which is why he was able to gain back so much time in that breakaway. The peloton let him go, knowing he was that far behind, and they'd likely eventually catch him. Oscar was a serious contender that year, and in 2005 finished in 10th, just behind Landis who was 9th. You make it sound like he was an average rider who got a 30 minute gap, and the rest of the Tour the leaders chased him down.

By your logic, I could say about Floyd, "Come on. The only reason he won is he got in a breakaway that gained 8 minutes on Stage 17."

The race was won, and lost, on the road, by both riders. Both rode great races that year. Take your pick who you believe won.

I don't really remember that tour as I was in germany for the world cup, but I should check out the race again. But another thing I always think of Landis as the real winner in 2006, in 2007 I really felt like contador won the tour not rasmussen, fore some reason maybe because I actually saw the great battles in 2007. By the way how did oscar lose so much time.

Oscar lost 1:40 to Floyd in the first ITT (won by Gonchar). But on Stage 11 to Pla-de-Beret won by Menchov over Floyd and Levi, he bonked and lost 24.26. The following day he lost another four minutes. I can't find details, but perhaps he was sick. The only thing I can find is after Stage 13 he said "I feel strong now".

On that stage, two days later in searing heat he attacked 200km from the finish on a sawblade stage with five category 4 climbs, with a very strong group: Voight, Chavanel, Quinziato and Grivko. They finished 29:57 ahead of the peloton.

When the stage was over, Periero had a very slim 1:29 lead on Floyd, which he almost held until the very end through some very tough stages.

As I said, the guy wasn't a nobody. Not even close. He was 10th the previous year (behind Lance, Basso, Ullrich, Mancebo and Vino, all of whom weren't here). And he won a mountain stage, and just behind Landis - and could have won another had George Hincapie not wheelsucked him the entire time.

As I said before, the 2006 Tour was won on the road. Whether you believe that means Pereiro, or Landis was the true winner, that's up to you.

A

Anonymous

Alpe d'Huez said:
Oscar lost 1:40 to Floyd in the first ITT (won by Gonchar). But on Stage 11 to Pla-de-Beret won by Menchov over Floyd and Levi, he bonked and lost 24.26. The following day he lost another four minutes. I can't find details, but perhaps he was sick. The only thing I can find is after Stage 13 he said "I feel strong now".

Refill? It had to be said, just had to......

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Ibanez said:
I consider Rasmussen the winner of the 07 tour. He had it sewn up. People belittle Pereiro's victory for not being won on the road, but Contador's wasn't either.

The difference is that Landis crossed the final line in Paris before Pereiro, whereas Rasmussen was merely in front of Contador when he was withdrawn. In other words, Landis won the tour and was stripped of his title; Rasmussen never finished...

Yeah Rasmussen was merely in front. 3:10 min to be exact.
He had become much better in TT because he actually trained doing it the first time in his life and in the Giro before tried out how he could TT.

He lost shokingly small time in the first long TT and even caught Valverde being 16 seconds slower than Leipheimer and 37 seconds slower than Contador.

Pereiro was sick in 2006. He had some kind of stomach issues in first mountain stages.
I actually remember that being mentioned on German TV just the day after he lost 25 minutes.

TRENDING THREADS