• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most impressive riders this season so far

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Which riders have impressed you the most this season?

Obviously le incroyable Mr Gilbert
Young Russian sprinter Galimzyanov a couple of wins in De Panne
Mitchell Docker in long breakaways in RvV and P-R
J Rodriguez two 2nd places to Gilbert in Amstel and Fleche - daylight between JRod and 3rd place
Cancellara super strong in both body and ego
Dirtie still all but unbeatable in week-long stage races
The Freiburg Phantom

Honourable mentions

Scarponi looks ominously strong for Giro
Cadel Evans was strong in T-A win, winning a stage along the way
Boonen - if he didn't have bad luck in PR his presence would've definitely changed the outcome of the race
Big Johan Van Summeren in getting a win of some distinction
Jelle Vanendert a strong teammate for PG

Agree/disagree/add?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
gilbert
duarte
uran (his father had passed away and he hadn't touched his bike for a week and finished 5th in lbl 2 weeks later is f'n amazing)
duarte
cancellara
scarponi
kririyenka
tondo
sella
serpa
voeckler

Huh. Neither of you mention GOss? Hes up there no doubt.

For me its Scarponi, Gilbert, J Rod - for proving he can back up an amazing first season as leader, Contador- for continuing to just win win and win, and of course Cancellara for a RVV performance that I think surpassed even what he did last year (yes I know he didnt win).

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Nuyens made a decisive comeback.
Goss made his season success before it started, almost.
Der T-Mart has had the maximum return from his abilities.
Guardini is entering the pro ranks at the top.

oyeah
Degenkolb looks like a prospect for the classics.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
taiwan said:
Hm, I thought this season had been dissappointing compared to last year`s (winless) stormer.

You mean this spring? As the season is not over yet.
Last year they didnt have Devolder for Classics so a bit more freedom, that could be one of the reasons.

I heard he's supposed to go for the Tour and Im glad for him.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
gilbert
duarte
uran (his father had passed away and he hadn't touched his bike for a week and finished 5th in lbl 2 weeks later is f'n amazing)
duarte
cancellara
scarponi
kririyenka
tondo
sella
serpa
voeckler

With this I agree. If he focuses on European races he could be a treat to the hilly classics some day. No guarantees though.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I think he can do both classics and gt's. because he's very explosive and has big engine for the classics and he has tremendous recuperation and the guy is from urao, in antioquia which is over 2000 metres high so he's very strong in high mountains.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
I think he can do both classics and gt's. because he's very explosive and has big engine for the classics and he has tremendous recuperation and the guy is from urao, in antioquia which is over 2000 metres high so he's very strong in high mountains.

How are his bike handling skills though? :p

May 12, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

Ryo Hazuki will undoubtedly claim that Uran has the best bike handling skills any pro has ever had, but every time I see him I think back to that horrible crash he had in the Germany Tour in his first season.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

they are very good actually. not as good as they used to be I think because of his incredible crash in germany tour. before that he was a very good downhiller now he's normal. he doesn't like to force himself to the front of peloton though something a valverde has to(reason why he hasn't won amstel gold race) but he's got a whole team around him. I;m sure uran will too when they find out wiggins is not going to do it for them in a gt

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Let's see, who impressed me.

-Gilbert impressed me, on so many levels.
-Cancellara did some off the chart stuff.
-Thomas did great stuff at the ronde, he's got my blessing.
-Van Avermaet surprised me with his good and consistent performances.
-De Gendt did crazy things in PN.
-Voeckler didn't really impress me, but his amount of victories this year is impressive.
-Scarponi, stage 4 Tirreno.
-Vanmarcke, my personal favorite.
-Matthews, Guardini and Degenkolb.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Less noticeable good starts:

Ben Hermans - won trofeo inca, 6th in Sardegna, 8th in Amstel Gold. He's not a superstar, but has taken a step forward from last season.

Brad Wiggins - while not up to the standard he set in 2009... it's already the second most successful road season in his career with a Paris-Nice podium.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
jrod's season is overrated. His season was bad before a couple weeks ago, he said so himself.

And his 2 2nd place results were nothing in comparison to the way canc. took his podiums.

anyway the stand outs;

Gilbert- for obvious reasons
Sparatacus- excellent form and showing in the spring. deserved more.
Alberto Contador - Looked liked his old self.
Scarponi- been excellent in most races he has participated in.
Goss- Great early season.
Voeckler- best start to the season he has ever had, mighty impressive.
Kloden- brilliant spring.

Some honorable mentions;
tondo, kririyenka, jrod, gesink (for his results more then his performance) and some of the youngsters... degenkolb, matthews, guardini etc.

TRENDING THREADS