• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most overambitious rider?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Magnus said:
Fuglsang has finished 3rd and 4th in TdS, 6th in Dauphine, 11th in Vuelta Espana.
Won several minor stageraces.

How is a top-10 in TdF overambitious?
Rather pathetic, i understand. Overly ambitious? Not so much.
Yeah, I agree. If anything he's probably actually unambitious, though I'd say he's quite realistic in his ambitions.

Magnus said:
Fuglsang has finished 3rd and 4th in TdS, 6th in Dauphine, 11th in Vuelta Espana.
Won several minor stageraces.

How is a top-10 in TdF overambitious?
Rather pathetic, i understand. Overly ambitious? Not so much.

Fuglsang climbed at a good level in that Dauphine, but hasn't been able to replicate that. His TT has improved to the detriment of his climbing. That's how he got those results in the Tour of Switzerland, by relying on his TT. It helps that that race doesn't have grueling mountain stages.

He was sort of consistent in the Vuelta, but other than that... he didn'tt impress in the mountain stages, let's put it that way.

El Pistolero said:
Well, he's been second and third already and he actually didn't wheelsuck all the time in Roubaix 2011 like some people are claiming. Plus he had a team-mate up front.

If he didn't have a team-mate up front he would've ridden away with Ballan and Cancellara. Cancellara wouldn't be able to surprise attack them in a small group like that, so Hushovd would've had a great shot at winning Roubaix there.
Might add that he also attacked in 2009 just before Flecha etc fell. Obviously he was passed by Boonen and crashed right afterwards though (either because he was exhausted or just being a genius), but can't blame him for not trying at least.

I also find it weird that Netserk both says that Hushovd is overambitious at the same time as he says Hushovd never has tried to win P-R. Since he obviously thinks that it's "overambitious" for Hushovd to aim for winning P-R, then obviously riding for second would be the right tactic, no? :p

velosiped said:
Danes always have a morbide big-brother complex towards norwegians when it gets to sports they consider to be their own domene - soccer and cycling.

They will always be much better in the former, but the fact is that right now the norwegians OWN them on the road. Boy, they hate it when the "mountain-apes" win big races when their own useless slobs stinks at everything. And there seems to be no relief in sight ...

Now we just need Rolf Sörensen to admit 15 years of forbidden chemicals, and then everything the oath farmers ever achieved on the road is proved to be fraud.

Lol wut:confused:

It has *nothing* to do with him being Norwegian and me being Dane. In cobble races I cheer for Boonen (and have done so since I started watching them) even though he was the rival of Canc and CSC/Saxo. Likewise I also hate Fuglsang, and the only Danish rider I like is CAS, but that's only because he makes a funny face when racing. In the same way I like EBH as a stage hunter or in light hilly races.

And about football I could care any less. BOTH the Danish team as well as the Norwegian is total sh!t and play ugly.

maltiv said:
Might add that he also attacked in 2009 just before Flecha etc fell. Obviously he was passed by Boonen and crashed right afterwards though (either because he was exhausted or just being a genius), but can't blame him for not trying at least.

I also find it weird that Netserk both says that Hushovd is overambitious at the same time as he says Hushovd never has tried to win P-R. Since he obviously thinks that it's "overambitious" for Hushovd to aim for winning P-R, then obviously riding for second would be the right tactic, no? :p
Overambitious for being (sole)captain as long as he still has a loser's attitude ;)

/mod mode on

velosiped's post has been deleted and the user has been warned for his insulting post towards a member and his country

/mod mode off

only sticking his nose at the front for 50 meters on the velodrome to outsprint flecha didn't do hushovd any favours and i am not even going into the whole let's follow boonen until he is exhausted part because every other loser did it that year

i still think he will never win roubaix tho and that he is a bit overrated there. also i don't particularly like him but i do admire the way he changed his riding style after his speed dropped.

also waterloo why do fans hyping machado makes the him overambitious? if anything, according to his last interviews, his only ambition is riding a GT without any crashes or illness to see how far he can go so that's the opposite of being overambitious

The Hitch said:
Sergio Henao said he would like to win Paris Roubaix. However i dont think he ever suggested that he thought it a possibility, just that it would be his dream win.

One of his fans on here though thinks it is possible ;)
Yes... if it were a pure climber from, say, the Netherlands who had said it, this particular fan would be ROFLOL'ing us to death.

Intxausti was 7th in the Giro with about four days left but was ill. I think he'd have dropped out of the top 10 on Pampeago and Stelvio stages anyway, but not by as much as he did. He finished in the top 10 of the Vuelta, and when you bear in mind he lost nearly 4 minutes when he was sacrificed from the front group for Valverde on Valdezcaray he could have been among the bigger names there. I'm sure with the benefit of hindsight they may have preferred to leave him in the front group and have had Cobo do the pacing job for Valverde, but you simply don't call a defending GT winner back to assist a teammate on stage 4 of a GT he's still seemingly very much in contention for. It's just not on.

The problem with these is differentiating the most overambitious riders from the riders with the most overambitious expectations of them. Until last year I'd have said Simon Gerrans, owing to his tendency to give up on the race smarts that had won him some big victories in his Crédit Agricole and Cervélo days to instead back himself in the uphill sprint against the likes of Purito and Gilbert and finish in about 7th, but he seems to have rediscovered the knack of actually winning things. A lot of the people who came into the sport with seemingly vastly inflated expectations (either on their own part or those of their fans) appear to have readjusted in line with reality now - Devolder, Gerdemann, Machado, Karpets, Löfkvist and so on.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
I thought this would be easy when i learned that Fuglsang would be aiming for a top-10 in this year's TDF, but then Intxausti announced that he would target a top-3 at the Giro. Course, I'd still pick Fuglsang as the most overambitious between the two of them. :D
Fuglsang by far. Can't think of anyone else who fits the bill.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The lack of cobbled stages at the tdf ranks among aso's greatest crimes.

Of course the one time they did add them we still have to hear how Cadel Evans and other GT riders could win the Ronde van Vlaanderen or Paris-Roubaix if they rode them.

Because you know, crashing after 500 meters of easy cobbles which eliminated 95% of the peloton is a total indication of how well you ride over cobbles.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
Lol wut:confused:

It has *nothing* to do with him being Norwegian and me being Dane. In cobble races I cheer for Boonen (and have done so since I started watching them) even though he was the rival of Canc and CSC/Saxo. Likewise I also hate Fuglsang, and the only Danish rider I like is CAS, but that's only because he makes a funny face when racing. In the same way I like EBH as a stage hunter or in light hilly races.

And about football I could care any less. BOTH the Danish team as well as the Norwegian is total sh!t and play ugly.

I don't know what Hushovd had to say about it, but Boonen said he took a lot of risks taking that corner in the hope Hushovd would crash or leave a gap. He knew Hushovd was on the limit.

edit: oops, meant to quote Maltiv.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Siriuscat said:
Anyone mentioned the Schleck boys yet......:rolleyes:

Just the usual pathetic Contador fan at it again, the Schlecks don't belong in this thread at all. Andy wants to do well in the Ardennes and the Tour. That's hardly too ambitious, but you are just looking for more ways to ridicule him. Wasn't Contador trying to do the impossible Giro-Tour double in 2011 btw? :p

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
The lack of cobbled stages at the tdf ranks among aso's greatest crimes.
They've (aso) seen in 2010. that cobbles make controversy, and thought it's better to leave them out than to explain to fans why they (cobbles) were included in the first place.
Especially when the cobbles do their job.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Just the usual pathetic Contador fan at it again, the Schlecks don't belong in this thread at all. Andy wants to do well in the Ardennes and the Tour. That's hardly too ambitious, but you are just looking for more ways to ridicule him. Wasn't Contador trying to do the impossible Giro-Tour double in 2011 btw? :p

Oh no a scary Contador fan spoke again oh mummy!!

No Andy wants to win the in the Ardennes and the Tour, he's never going to win a GT on the road ergo he's being overly ambitious.

Yeah he did and looking at his placings a little more luck he might have pulled it off but in the end he didn't....at least he's willing to try!

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Siriuscat said:

No Andy wants to win the in the Ardennes and the Tour, he's never going to win a GT on the road ergo he's being overly ambitious.

Yeah he did and looking at his placings a little more luck he might have pulled it off but in the end he didn't....at least he's willing to try!

Andy will win a real GT on the road for sure, that would be just insane if not :eek:

Unless if he always starts riding the tour, then maybe but otherwise no.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Siriuscat said:

I know you've already made up your mind about Schleck, and that's what's bothering me.
He's lazy, and I didn't like him very much either until recently. But seeing that he comes back from a serious injury and that he's very motivated for 2013 I'll support him this year. And someone who won LBL at 24 years, and finished 2nd in the TdF three times in row when he was 26 has imo the right to aspire taking yellow home, even with a horrible 2012 behind him.(and even with horrible TT skills :D)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Siriuscat said:

Winning a GT and the Ardennes are in no way outside of Andy's abilities, he's proved time and time again he has what it takes to compete in a GT and in the Ardennes. Therefore he is not being overambitious.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone think Cancellara's ambition to win LBL and Lombardia is overambitious? He mentioned these goals couple of times.
Several years ago I thought it wasn't unfounded if he starts riding and studying them, but now I think it's overambitious.

TRENDING THREADS