• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most ridiculous performances/races of the Rio Olympics

Re:

Benotti69 said:
not doping related but dont know where else to post........a mod can move if they want.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/the-rio-games-were-an-unjustifiable-human-disaster-and-so-are-the-olympics

THE RIO GAMES WERE AN UNJUSTIFIABLE HUMAN DISASTER, AND SO ARE THE OLYMPICS

I never understand this very much. The IOC is a private organisation, they can do as they dam well please along as its not illegal. It’s their Olympics, if they wish to charge countries inordinate amounts of money to participate in their games then they can do so. It’s not ethically correct but it’s not much different than a major corporate opening up a factory to produce phones or sportswear in low cost countries or offshore their revenue in Ireland to avoid tax.

Where to start....? Women's 10000m, Van Niekerk 400m, Farah (as always) in both the 10000m and 5000m, Rupp (Salazar boys back at it) in the 10000m AND then following it up with a medal in the marathon a few days later. Semenya (as always), though I do feel sorry for her and her competitors.

In swimming, pretty much every American that won gold (Phelps, Ledecky and King especially), Hoszu.

Cycling, see Brits don't dope?

Too many other things to name here...

BullsFan22 said:
Where to start....? Women's 10000m, Van Niekerk 400m, Farah (as always) in both the 10000m and 5000m, Rupp (Salazar boys back at it) in the 10000m AND then following it up with a medal in the marathon a few days later. Semenya (as always), though I do feel sorry for her and her competitors.

In swimming, pretty much every American that won gold (Phelps, Ledecky and King especially), Hoszu.

Why King? Is there something obvious about her case?
(I really don't know much about swimming but I'd like to know)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Australian swimmer Chalmers wont get any credit in this thread, but he won the blue riband event in the pool, at 18.

And at a time which threatens the old WR.

Seems if you won, p'raps the second most illustrious race in Rio. And are only 18. $hit gotta give.

does he get the credit in this thread?

like Hog says on Australia swimmers, you can breathe in the androgens in their wake if you were a fish and had gills and could parse the panem et aqua for the O2 and andrgogen

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

pnwrider said:
Cavendish, 4:16 flat out. Nothing else close, except maybe that 10,000M.

well Cav has won a few prologues under 2km. Think a Tour of Germany, maybe a Romandie. He would be my favourite to win a 1 mile prologue in Europe now, versus a good Cancellara, a good Wiggins, a good Boonen. A good Kittel. I would tip Cav.

I did sit up straight at that time. But Hansen was 2secs quicker from Denmark.

tho Hansen had won the omnium before.

Ed Clancy can do about a 1minute flat leadoff for the first km of the TP. Ed is one of my favourite riders. If he did an IP with some IP training, he would be able to go around Bobridges WR. Wiggins would beat the WR, so would G.

Brits are great in track, and would still be so dominant if everyone is clean. As it is, everyone is dirty.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
BullsFan22 said:

Why King? Is there something obvious about her case?
(I really don't know much about swimming but I'd like to know)

I don't see how King stands out either other than the likelihood of posters having a huge problem with her speaking out against Efimova. That was seen at the time around here.

She was nowhere in the 200m breaststroke.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

blackcat said:
pnwrider said:

well Cav has won a few prologues under 2km. Think a Tour of Germany, maybe a Romandie. He would be my favourite to win a 1 mile prologue in Europe now, versus a good Cancellara, a good Wiggins, a good Boonen. A good Kittel. I would tip Cav.

Ed Clancy can do about a 1minute flat leadoff for the first km of the TP. Ed is one of my favourite riders. If he did an IP with some IP training, he would be able to go around Bobridges WR. Wiggins would beat the WR, so would G.

Brits are great in track, and would still be so dominant if everyone is clean. As it is, everyone is dirty.

Uhm, Cav couldn't even win the 1km TT at the Omnium yet you believe he can beat the best cyclists on the road? Cancellara, in top form, would destroy Cavendish over one km (if they were both in seperate lanes of course).

But let's be honest here, the Omnium is just an inferior cycling version of the Decathlon in track & field. It's not a big deal. The Decathlon is for true all-round athletes and they get the unofficial title of "World's Greatest Athlete". No one in his right mind would bestow such a title to the winner of the Omnium.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

El Pistolero said:
blackcat said:
pnwrider said:

Uhm, Cav couldn't even win the 1km TT at the Omnium yet you believe he can beat the best cyclists on the road? Cancellara, in top form, would destroy Cavendish over one km (if they were both in seperate lanes of course).

But let's be honest here, the Omnium is just an inferior cycling version of the Decathlon in track & field. It's not a big deal. The Decathlon is for true all-round athletes and they get the unofficial title of "World's Greatest Athlete". No one in his right mind would bestow such a title to the winner of the Omnium.
beat Wiggins in this prologue you muppet
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Tour_de_Romandie_2012_Prologue_Lausanne

Lancaster has won a few 1km prologues. Cav can do it. His CdA is his biggest talent, he slices thru the air

you oughta know your facts before you speak cr@p

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

blackcat said:
El Pistolero said:
blackcat said:
pnwrider said:

Lancaster has won a few 1km prologues. Cav can do it. His CdA is his biggest talent, he slices thru the air

So did Bauke Mollema. :lol: :rolleyes:

El Pistolero said:
blackcat said:
El Pistolero said:
blackcat said:
pnwrider said:

So did Bauke Mollema. :lol: :rolleyes:

So? It proves that he "can beat the best cyclists on the road"

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
pnwrider said:

You're comparing Cav's performance to that 10k and saying it's even more suspicious than the 400m WR? :lol:

And Cav has been riding pursuits (off and on) since he was 18.

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
pnwrider said:

You're comparing Cav's performance to that 10k and saying it's even more suspicious than the 400m WR? :lol:

Yes, because it's glaringly obvious to me, because I know the event well. The 10,000 is obviously a little more suspect, but Cav improving 10-11 seconds in the pursuit in a month and a half, while riding the tour (which while great training, isn't pursuit training), is insane.

Hands down, it is the women's 10k. Many people thought that the record by the Chinese runners in the 90s might never be broken. And not only was it broken, it was shattered. The 400m record was outrageous too but as soon as Van Niekerk had broken 20sec in the 200, it was always on the radar. He had run 43.48 in 2015, so the signs were there. The most surprising thing for me was that he didn't look dominant in his heats leading up to the final.

pnwrider said:
PremierAndrew said:
pnwrider said:

Yes, because it's glaringly obvious to me, because I know the event well. The 10,000 is obviously a little more suspect, but Cav improving 10-11 seconds in the pursuit in a month and a half, while riding the tour (which while great training, isn't pursuit training), is insane.

If you set the benchmark to be a run at the World Championships where he paced himself badly and paid for it, sure, 10-11 seconds in FIVE months is pretty suspicious. But if you take into account why he did so badly, it's really nowhere near as suspicious as a lot of other performances, even within cycling itself at the Olympics

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
4:16 is fast. Even as aero as Cav is (and I think he's relatively less aero to others in TT position versus road. Meaning he's REALLY aero on a road bike, and of about average aero on a TT setup) you would still need to come close to 490W for that 4 km time.

I just pulled up the splits between London and Rio:

London Rio
1 km 1:07.5 1:08.0
2 km 1:03.8 1:03.5
3 km 1:06.2 1:03.1
4 km 1:09.8 1:02.1

So Cav totally rode the pursuit in London like a junior. You'll have no disagreement from me there. He clearly went out too hard. Yet, he was able to maintain nearly the same place over the first 2 km in Rio, and then he crushes the last 2km? They must have given him the rounder wheels.