• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

most technologically sophisticated bike

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
BikeClean-thumb-550xauto-61622.jpg

Engineering students spent a year designing this bike

We set out to create a bicycle that would push the boundaries of integrated systems. The result is ALPHA, the first bicycle with a fully internal drivetrain including an electronically-controlled clutch allowing the rider to switch between fixed-gear and freewheeling configurations. All of the bike’s components, including a belt drive, brakes, and an onboard electronics suite, are housed inside the custom-machined frame. Besides protecting these fragile components from degrading environmental exposure, this integration also gives the bike a streamlined, striking appearance.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
The wheel set alone weighs more than most top level race bikes. Sturmey Archer hub laced to 36h H Plus Son Formation Face rims, front drum brakes. Ooof! Heavy! Fun school project though. :cool:

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
The wheel set alone weighs more than most top level race bikes. Sturmey Archer hub laced to 36h H Plus Son Formation Face rims, front drum brakes. Ooof! Heavy! Fun school project though. :cool:

killjoy:D.

The drivetrain is interesting to me. Belt drive according to the clutch diagram, but no belt in the graphics. I thought perhaps he had some sort of shaft design.

The switch off the freewheel mechanism seems to suggest the sturmey-archer hub has been modified. Does Sturmey Archer build their gear system without freewheel pawls?

The clutch is a school project all on its own. I never dreamed fixed gearing would capture the minds and hearts of so many. Never.

Where can one buy the pre-preg carbon used in that project?