• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Most Underwhelming Giro d'Italia Performance

What rider had the most underwhelming/non-existent 2019 Giro?

• Ben O'Connor

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Ion Izagirre

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Sepp Kuss

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Antwan Tolhoek

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alexis Vuillermoz

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Iván Ramiro Sosa

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Bob Jungels

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • Other

Votes: 14 18.7%

• Total voters
Where is Simon Yates? Given the expectations and his own assessment of his level he's surely the biggest disappointment of the Giro.

Among the options available I'll go with O'Connor as well. Dropped for good on the very first mountain of the Giro, kept saying he would get in a break but never managed. Terrible performance, which is perfectly in line with his previous 4 months of racing and almost everything done by DD this season.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Where is Simon Yates? Given the expectations and his own assessment of his level he's surely the biggest disappointment of the Giro.

Among the options available I'll go with O'Connor as well. Dropped for good on the very first mountain of the Giro, kept saying he would get in a break but never managed. Terrible performance, which is perfectly in line with his previous 4 months of racing and almost everything done by DD this season.

Yeah both disappointing probably more so for Yates after he won the Vuelta. O'Connor was unlucky last year but this year he had no form. i was a bit disappointed with Zakarin as well. At his best he is near the podium but he is just too inconsistent though his stage wins are always good to watch.

DropBob Jungels
Because he literally could not make any impact even when realized (too late perhaps) that he had to pursue breakaways. Now, I did not expect him to make the top 10 beforehand, but he was so far from achieving it, that his performance can only be seen as a massive disappointment.

Ion Izagirre is probably the biggest name of any of the riders on the poll, but we all knew that his role would be supportive before the Giro, so he obviously did save himself at times. He underperformed relative to Hirt and Bilbao, but that is not a massive surprise.

Re:

SafeBet said:

Agree with all this. Especially the Yates part. Most underwhelming by far. (Dis)honourable mention to Jungels, as well.

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
DropBob Jungels
Because he literally could not make any impact even when realized (too late perhaps) that he had to pursue breakaways. Now, I did not expect him to make the top 10 beforehand, but he was so far from achieving it, that his performance can only be seen as a massive disappointment.

Ion Izagirre is probably the biggest name of any of the riders on the poll, but we all knew that his role would be supportive before the Giro, so he obviously did save himself at times. He underperformed relative to Hirt and Bilbao, but that is not a massive surprise.
I think that at some point Bob just started to use it as a prep race for the Tour.
He had the worst possible schedule to ride for the gc at the Giro, cobbled classics and a long break after the RVV with no racing before the Giro.

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
SafeBet said:

Yeah both disappointing probably more so for Yates after he won the Vuelta. O'Connor was unlucky last year but this year he had no form. i was a bit disappointed with Zakarin as well. At his best he is near the podium but he is just too inconsistent though his stage wins are always good to watch.

Well, you at least knew Yates was in the race, with 3 stage podiums. Everyone who doesn't win is generally disappointed, so I was going for more of the no-show riders.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Good mentions. I'd pick Sosa - I know, its his first GT, but before Bernal crashed I had expected him to deliver Porte 2013 performances based on his high mountain climbing. For sure had him as a better climber than Sivakov.
Does he get a pass since he was a replacement and hence maybe not at the right point in his training cycle for his first GT?

It's Sosa's first GT, he's only 21. Let's give him some time. He's no Bernal after all.
O'Connor got dropped by Grossschartner, Evenepoel, Kudus and Conti in Turkey on the only MTF, didn't race since and hasn't been great all year. Didn't expect more of him.
Tolhoek, about what i expected. If he has a good day, he can go far, but i don't think he's the type to be on edge 3 weeks as part of a GT train.
Vuillermoz, Izagirre, Jungels ... i guess i expexted more, but they are also riders i don't have a big interest in.

Voted for Kuss, who was originally riding California as a bigger goal this season. So when he was appointed to replace Gesink in the Giro, i expected to see some of the magic he is supposedly able to produce. If he was supposed to be in shape for california, he should have been in shape for the first week(s) of the Giro as well, maybe able to further grow into the climbing stages. But the opening (climbing) prologue was already abysmal, and his form didnt really improve. In stage 14 he rode a halfway decent result, but this was a stage of only 130km (perhaps this is key to judging his performances... the stages in Utah 2018 were also short). Perhaps what's even more unsettling, is the fact that he seems to be lower in the pecking order than Tolhoek and Bouwman, who are good guys, but hardly worldclass climbers themselves. He turns 25 in 3 months so he should be entering the stage where he is physically ready for this.

That said, had Yates been an option, i would have picked him. Not bad enough to drop GC and go for stage victories, but not good enough to compete for GC. No fun to watch, anonymous, underwhelming. Maybe expectations were too high after last year.

Alternatively, maybe we should also pick a guy that did surprise in a good way? Ciccone, Sivakov, Carapaz, even Haga. Or Carthy or Madouas...

Yates by far. After his performances in the Giro and Vuelta last year and his pre-race statements I expected him to obliterate the field or atleast make the podium, especially after Dumoulin and Bernal didn't participate.

Otherwise Jungels or O'Connor, probably O'Connor.

TRENDING THREADS