• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

MotoGP doping

Hi All - long time Clinic lurker, first time poster. I did a bit of a search around and couldn't find anything so just thought I'd ask in a new thread. If there is a thread around I apologise.

Was curious to know what opinions there are here about the benefits of doping or using PEDs in MotoGP and also whether if the general consensus is that it is likely that there is widespread usage.

There was an interesting interview with Ben Spies in the wake of Wonder-boy's non-contest of the reasoned decision.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/ben-spies-doping-motogp-interview/

I was having a chat with a mate about it who has been a massive fan of motorcycle racing for many many years, and I thought that it would be a bit naiive to think that there weren't some of them getting some help. We were discussing the merits of what would be useful and what wouldn't be in motogp and I'm also curious if what Ben says in this article is on the money or hyperbole. I posited that there could be a number of benefits in much the same way as any single-day race. Also, I found it coincidental and curious that there are so many Spanish riders in the upper echelons. And that I'd be very surprised in a sport where .01's matter if there wasn't a search for whatever performance improvements could be found...

Would welcome and constructive input.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
A mate persuaded a road racer (motorbikes) mate of his, similar to Ilse of Man but riders start together, to take 'speed' an amphetamine for a race thinking it would help. It had the opposite effect of making him totally misjudge braking points and corners. Incredibly stupid considering the speeds and no run off areas on country roads that these races are held on.

I see no reason to think that MotoGp ridrs would not be using PEDs to improve their physical performance but would they use stuff for races? I doubt it. The lighter the riders are the better and they need to be fit.

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Anti-anxiety meds would be very useful. That's a very general description though, some make you sleepy and others act more like caffiene and inspire aggression.

I doubt you'd need that if you've gotten to MotoGP. You've probably already spent more than half your life on a fast machines, effectively weeding out the anxious ones.

You could do with something that would sharpen your senses without impairing your driving abilities. Not sure if there's such a substance out there, but that's what I'd be looking for.

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
arjanh said:
And, of course, the usual mix to build muscle mass. Them machines are damn powerful!

But extra mass = extra weight, which makes you slower.. I think if there is any doping, it would probably be the kind that would help you concentrate or make you more on edge, if that excists.. But traditional doping that makes you stronger and more durable will have little effect in MotoGP, the races are intense, but quite short, and at the end of the day, there is no kind of doping that makes you a better rider in the technical sense. So if there is any kind of doping, it probably wouldn't influence the results as much as it does in cycling.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
A little testosterone here and there in the fitness training stages, before the season. I would assume its quite common everywhere in motor sports, where a lot of fitness is required. Same goes for F1. Just not enough to get caught.

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
This article downplays doping in F1 but does point out there are areas that a driver would have an advantage if doping.

http://en.espnf1.com/fia/motorsport/story/94597.html

Potential useful drugs include:
- drugs that increase muscle strength, particularly the neck muscle to withstand G-force
- drugs that aid weight loss
- drugs that can help you focus attention or improve reaction time.

The last one is interesting as it is an in competition drug.

"In-competition testing is designed to pick up on drugs that could improve a driver's performance over the shorter-term, perhaps improving his focus or reaction time for the race. We have some drugs in medicine that can help you focus attention," Piette reveals. "…Legal and illegal drugs. Some of the former are employed for rare brain disorders where you find you sleep abnormally to help make people alert. This is also used in the Army, by commandos, to stay awake for consecutive days. So that's part of it. And these kinds of drugs are tested for."

Two different sports but there might be some doping cross over between F1 and MotoGP.

northstar said:
This article downplays doping in F1 but does point out there are areas that a driver would have an advantage if doping.

That was kind of my point to my mate - in a sport where 0.01 matters, I couldn't imagine that they wouldn't be trying to find whatever they could as far as getting an edge over competitors goes... Agree about the crossover between F1 and MotoGP.

Wasn't one of the potential OP guys an F1 driver?

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
northstar said:
Potential useful drugs (for F1) include:
- drugs that increase muscle strength, particularly the neck muscle to withstand G-force
- drugs that aid weight loss
- drugs that can help you focus attention or improve reaction time.

Two different sports but there might be some doping cross over between F1 and MotoGP.

That sounds about right to me. You'd need muscle strength in your arms and shoulders for MotoGP just to stay on the bike when hitting the brakes...

TRENDING THREADS