• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mountain Classics?

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Are there any real mountain classics in the cycling calendar? I find it strange that all the classics I know about is either flat, hilly or cobbled.
The only two I can think of is San Sebastian and Lombardia.

Is there any special reason for this?

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Maybe I need to rephrase that, one-day races with mountains in it. If you understand that :) Why is there for example a one day race with a finish on top of Ventoux, or Alp d'Huez?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ChristianHA said:
Maybe I need to rephrase that, one-day races with mountains in it. If you understand that :) Why is there for example a one day race with a finish on top of Ventoux, or Alp d'Huez?

When the real classics had their first editions there weren't that many mountains that could be ridden. Let alone build a finish on top.

And the money thing of course. You don't want people waiting on a mountain the whole day. You want them were they can buy stuff while waiting.

Same with the worlds (entry fee or not), money is selling food and drinks and you won't sell al lot of that on a mountain slope.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
ChristianHA said:
Thanks for the answers. So the answer is no, there aren't any one-day races with mountains in them?

There used to be one, at least two years ago, in the Basque Country. It was called the Klasika Urkiola. And it was classified as a mountain classic. Sadly I think it dissappeared.

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
la classique des alpes was a mountain classic. a good race and the big names participated. Lance armstrong has finished two times on the podium.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Jaizkibel is just 450 m and it would be a Cat2 climb on a stage race, so there's no need to have a big climb to have a good mountain 1-day race near a reasonably populated city.

The problem as I see it is that the calendar is full of races and there is no interest from sponsors, teams and riders to attend this kind of event and to develop this type of 1-day racing into a class of its own. I prefer watching a race like San Sebastián than a 1-week stage race with a MTF on top of Alpe d'Huez which is used as a warm up for something else. :p

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
The problem as I see it is that the calendar is full of races and there is no interest from sponsors, teams and riders to attend this kind of event and to develop this type of 1-day racing into a class of its own. I prefer watching a race like San Sebastián than a 1-week stage race with a MTF on top of Alpe d'Huez which is used as a warm up for something else.

San sebastian is one of the most boring race of the year. usually the Jeizkibel is escamoté and it's a like barredo racer who win.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
think icefire has hit the nail on the head. As well as the fact that when the classics started you couldn't ride the mountains anyway the only time you can ride them now is in the summer. The Tour is on then and none of the GC contendors would really push themselves for a mountain classic. Mayke it pre-tour and it is training. Make it post tour and no one shows up

TRENDING THREADS