• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 76 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dune (2021) - never read the book or watched any of the previous adaptations, but seems pretty good. I like sci-fi though. But I'm not a nerd. This seems like a movie better to watch in theater than at home like I'm doing.
I haven't read the book either, but I saw the 1984 version when it was out in theaters, I didn't like it very much back then. Something about sandworms and spices, I found it very muddled and confusing. I started rewatching it yesterday just to jog my memory and realized the cast was great though - Sting, Patrick Stewart, Brad Dourif, and even Das Boot's Jürgen Prochnow! Still, it's three hours worth of confusion, not sure it's worth the while.

The 2021 version is all right, it's probably not something I'll remember years from now. But I was entertained, and I will remember that I was just as confused, and that's because I didn't have access to subtitles and consequently misunderstood half the dialogue. The whole spice thing again... I thought they were fighting over a spice like curry or nutmeg or whatever. I was thinking how did they convert something like nutmeg into a fuel that would make a spaceship run? I don't understand! :tearsofjoy:

Anyway, whichever version of Dune I think (for me at least) it is one of those movies where having a little background info is helpful because the movies don't necessarily make everything clear.

I haven't read the book either, but I saw the 1984 version when it was out in theaters, I didn't like it very much back then. Something about sandworms and spices, I found it very muddled and confusing. I started rewatching it yesterday just to jog my memory and realized the cast was great though - Sting, Patrick Stewart, Brad Dourif, and even Das Boot's Jürgen Prochnow! Still, it's three hours worth of confusion, not sure it's worth the while.

The 2021 version is all right, it's probably not something I'll remember years from now. But I was entertained, and I will remember that I was just as confused, and that's because I didn't have access to subtitles and consequently misunderstood half the dialogue. The whole spice thing again... I thought they were fighting over a spice like curry or nutmeg or whatever. I was thinking how did they convert something like nutmeg into a fuel that would make a spaceship run? I don't understand! :tearsofjoy:

Anyway, whichever version of Dune I think (for me at least) it is one of those movies where having a little background info is helpful because the movies don't necessarily make everything clear.
The book is very good and makes the movies much clearer.

Prisoners (2013) Drama/thriller from Denis Villenueve and as always with him its a long one but because it was a twisty route getting to the finish it didn't drag and there was enough mystery to keep you wondering. Uniformly good performances from a high profile cast. Not as cliched as the standard police procedural and the tension was well paced. Visually good as all of his films are.

Reactions: joe_papp
The book is very good and makes the movies much clearer.
Apparently some theaters were handing out cheat sheets to moviegoers during the original Dune release in the 80s, these cheat sheets explained some of the backstory and clarified some of the vocabulary in the movie. I wish I would have at least gotten that prior to seeing the Lynch version in the theater. Speaking of David Lynch...

During the opening credits of the 1984 version I started rewatching yesterday a couple of names caught my eye - the director was Alan Smithee, and the screenwriter was listed as Judas Booth. I thought how unusual, I've never heard of Alan Smithee, I'll have to look him up. And the other name, how cruel the parents who named their kid Judas must be. Turns out they are both pseudonyms for David Lynch because he didn't want anything to do with Dune after it had wrapped. To this day he really doesn't want to talk about Dune, and he wishes he had never gotten involved with it to begin with. Given the final product I guess I can't blame him.

Apparently some theaters were handing out cheat sheets to moviegoers during the original Dune release in the 80s, these cheat sheets explained some of the backstory and clarified some of the vocabulary in the movie. I wish I would have at least gotten that prior to seeing the Lynch version in the theater. Speaking of David Lynch...

During the opening credits of the 1984 version I started rewatching yesterday a couple of names caught my eye - the director was Alan Smithee, and the screenwriter was listed as Judas Booth. I thought how unusual, I've never heard of Alan Smithee, I'll have to look him up. And the other name, how cruel the parents who named their kid Judas must be. Turns out they are both pseudonyms for David Lynch because he didn't want anything to do with Dune after it had wrapped. To this day he really doesn't want to talk about Dune, and he wishes he had never gotten involved with it to begin with. Given the final product I guess I can't blame him.
Yes that's right, Lynch's version was cut by the producer. A lot of Alan Smithee movies used to get made. I liked parts of it but it wasn't that good, it was much too compressed as the book was a long one which is why it made even less sense to the fans that didn't read it before seeing the movie. The new version made with two long movies should be better or at least more coherent. Bit of a frustrating watch for fans of the book. Still, the original looked good at the cinema and Lynch had some of his usual weirdness in there as well.

I thought they were fighting over a spice like curry or nutmeg or whatever. I was thinking how did they convert something like nutmeg into a fuel that would make a spaceship run? I don't understand! :tearsofjoy:
HAH! I had this same experience! I was like, "The spaceships are powered by spice from the desert?

Yup. I watched it at home and had to pause several times to google details. It made a lot more sense on the second viewing and I was able to just enjoy it as a movie. Super-frustrating how it ended though. I definitely would watch another 2.5hrs to get the full story. Bummer that parts 1 & 2 weren't filmed simultaneously, since it's not a sure thing that the sequel will even get made.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider

No the spice was needed by the navigators to bend space that's why it was so valuable, the guild navigators needed it for space travel. In the David Lynch version they briefly mention that when House Atreides traveled to Arrakis. At one point you see them in a tank floating inside when they visited the Duke.

House of Wax (1953) - Very old school Hollywood with big sets, luxurious wardrobe, and, of course, Vincent Price. It's not terribly scary by today's standards, but it's worth a looky.

The Torture Chamber of Dr. Sadism (1967) - A young-ish Christopher Lee, wonderful sets and scenery, but the score did not match the action at all. The setting was 18th or 19th century, but the music sounded like some kind of psychedelic 60s elevator music. It totally ruined the atmosphere, it's a glaring example of how a wrong score can mess up a potentially enjoyable movie.

HAH! I had this same experience! I was like, "The spaceships are powered by spice from the desert?

Yup. I watched it at home and had to pause several times to google details. It made a lot more sense on the second viewing and I was able to just enjoy it as a movie. Super-frustrating how it ended though. I definitely would watch another 2.5hrs to get the full story. Bummer that parts 1 & 2 weren't filmed simultaneously, since it's not a sure thing that the sequel will even get made.
Because I didn't do much research prior I was surprised to find out this was only part one, the Lynch version covers the whole book. So if you're in the mood for some punishment and can't wait for Villeneuve's part two watch the Lynch movie. Speaking of which...

Lynch's Baron Harkonnen is truly one of the most visually repulsive characters ever captured on film. Villeneuve's version is much more subtle and is actually watchable.

Any thoughts on Alec Baldwin accidentally shooting a couple of people with a prop gun on set recently? The details are still not clear, but I remember when Brandon Lee got fatally shot on set of The Crow back in the 90s. It was quite a shock because his star was just rising, and, of course, he was Bruce Lee's son.

As far as Baldwin himself it's my understanding he can be a real jerk irl, but I always enjoyed him in movies and on SNL. His brothers not so much.

Because I didn't do much research prior I was surprised to find out this was only part one, the Lynch version covers the whole book. So if you're in the mood for some punishment and can't wait for Villeneuve's part two watch the Lynch movie. Speaking of which...

Lynch's Baron Harkonnen is truly one of the most visually repulsive characters ever captured on film. Villeneuve's version is much more subtle and is actually watchable.
The David Lynch version was butchered and the producer was having problems with the budget. Lynch said he would never direct another movie where he didn't have final cut. The movie was going to be longer with better special effects but it all went pear shaped. As the producer Mel Brooks had final cut of Lynch's previous movie The Elephant Man but after being impressed with what Lynch was doing he let Lynch have final cut and it turned out fine. I think its one of Lynch's most underrated movies while being one of his most conventional and based on a true story of course. John Hurt was nominated for the Academy Award for best actor and the film looked great in black and white with a fine performance also by Anthony Hopkins as the doctor treating John Merrick.

Last edited:
The David Lynch version was butchered and the producer was having problems with the budget. Lynch said he would never direct another movie where he didn't have final cut. The movie was going to be longer with better special effects but it all went pear shaped. As the producer Mel Brooks had final cut of Lynch's previous movie the Elephant Man but after being impressed with what Lynch was doing he let Lynch have final cut and it turned out fine. I think its one of Lynch's most underrated movies while being one of his most conventional and based on a true story of course. John Hurt was nominated for the Academy Award for best actor and the film looked great in black and white with a fine performance also by Anthony Hopkins as the doctor treating John Merrick.
I had no idea The Elephant Man (1980) was a David Lynch movie! It's been a while since I've seen it and you're right, it's good and quite poignant. Something to be in the mood for though because it's rather sad.

Yes that's right, a sad story.
I did some reading up on Merrick and I think, except for the wealthy, life must have been pretty harsh in general back then. Medicine wasn't in its complete infancy, but it was a time when you still had people dying of smallpox and scarlet fever, medicine and science have thankfully come a long way since. Still, it's vexing that we'll never know Merrick's true affliction(s), attempts had been made to study what was left of his degraded remains, but the results were inconclusive. So, Merrick will always remain a medical mystery.

Reactions: movingtarget
Code of Silence (1985) - Because everyone needs a little Chuck Norris in their life (and I was overdue)... I don' think it really matters which Norris movie one watches, they're all basically the same. You know you're going to get some ball-stomping action and carnage, Chuck Norris is there to single-handedly save the day.

One thing that did strike me about this one is the soundtrack, I really liked it. It was sort of a jazzy/bluesy/electronica mix, the bass especially kicked ass. That and I always like to see Chicago in movies, so I would say this Chuck Norris action flick is a winner.

Code of Silence (1985) - Because everyone needs a little Chuck Norris in their life (and I was overdue)... I don' think it really matters which Norris movie one watches, they're all basically the same. You know you're going to get some ball-stomping action and carnage, Chuck Norris is there to single-handedly save the day.

One thing that did strike me about this one is the soundtrack, I really liked it. It was sort of a jazzy/bluesy/electronica mix, the bass especially kicked ass. That and I always like to see Chicago in movies, so I would say this Chuck Norris action flick is a winner.
Was never much of a fan of his but I liked some of his 70s chop suey movies with Bruce Lee and others..........Way of The Dragon was fun.

Any thoughts on Alec Baldwin accidentally shooting a couple of people with a prop gun on set recently? The details are still not clear, but I remember when Brandon Lee got fatally shot on set of The Crow back in the 90s. It was quite a shock because his star was just rising, and, of course, he was Bruce Lee's son.

As far as Baldwin himself it's my understanding he can be a real jerk irl, but I always enjoyed him in movies and on SNL. His brothers not so much.
It seems someone told Baldwin that the gun wasn't loaded according to the news report. It should never happen but its happened more then a few times now. Baldwin seems a little jinxed, always in the news whether right or wrong.

It seems someone told Baldwin that the gun wasn't loaded according to the news report. It should never happen but its happened more then a few times now. Baldwin seems a little jinxed, always in the news whether right or wrong.
Very interesting premise of that Rust movie...
I don't know anything about the movie itself, but apparently Rust was supposed to be a low-budget production. Problems had been on set since day one with some camera crew members eventually walking out just prior to the accident, the whole thing sounds like a total clusterfuck. It'll be interesting to see if the movie is ever finished.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...off-set?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I don't know anything about the movie itself, but apparently Rust was supposed to be a low-budget production. Problems had been on set since day one with some camera crew members eventually walking out just prior to the accident, the whole thing sounds like a total clusterfuck. It'll be interesting to see if the movie is ever finished.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...off-set?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
It seems that blanks can kill you if you are close enough which these unfortunates were. Maybe the charge in the gun was faulty or malfunctioned or too powerful .................some stuntman I saw interviewed said it sounds like amateur time with the props...........

Reactions: Tricycle Rider
It seems that blanks can kill you if you are close enough which these unfortunates were. Maybe the charge in the gun was faulty or malfunctioned or too powerful .................some stuntman I saw interviewed said it sounds like amateur time with the props...........
More details are trickling in, but I'll reserve an opinion until the investigation is thorough and all through, which could take a while. However, because of this I have finally learned the difference between a bullet, a casing, and a cartridge cause I've watched some vids on how bullets actually work, you would think I would know this because they find casings all the time in all those crime dramas I watch. :tearsofjoy:

Anyway, the investigation is ongoing... given how much guns are used in movies and TV shows it's a minor miracle more accidents haven't happened on set in the film industry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin
More details are trickling in, but I'll reserve an opinion until the investigation is thorough and all through, which could take a while. However, because of this I have finally learned the difference between a bullet, a casing, and a cartridge cause I've watched some vids on how bullets actually work, you would think I would know this because they find casings all the time in all those crime dramas I watch. :tearsofjoy:

Anyway, the investigation is ongoing... given how much guns are used in movies and TV shows it's a minor miracle more accidents haven't happened on set in the film industry.
Seems like they handed him a live gun when he was told it wasn't live and there were a few earlier incidents on the same film set.Sounds like a troubled film shoot from the get go and some of the crew walked off the set earlier in protest about how things were being done. The lawyers will probably be lining up...........

TRENDING THREADS