• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Movie Thread

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The "snow" game was insane.

The Bulls minor league team was there for decades before the movie. I think the movie just uses them as a backdrop. I saw the movie once, but like you don't really care for the movie. Just googled it and apparently the team was founded in the early 1900's.

On the other hand, of older sports movies, I do still enjoy Hoosiers. The basketball movie about an Indiana high school coach and team.
I haven't seen Hoosiers in ages, can't remember much of it. But I'm always up for a Gene Hackman movie, so will have to put it on my viewing list.

Have you seen Big Fan with Patton Oswalt? It's kinda bittersweet, but I like it. There's also The Fan (1996) with Wesley Snipes and Robert De Niro, for the life of me I can't remember whether I've seen it. Despite poor reviews I might give it a try, though.

I haven't seen Hoosiers in ages, can't remember much of it. But I'm always up for a Gene Hackman movie, so will have to put it on my viewing list.

Have you seen Big Fan with Patton Oswalt? It's kinda bittersweet, but I like it. There's also The Fan (1996) with Wesley Snipes and Robert De Niro, for the life of me I can't remember whether I've seen it. Despite poor reviews I might give it a try, though.

Never say Big Fan. I know I've seen The Fan at some point or other. I don't remember it leaving any impression though.

Never say Big Fan. I know I've seen The Fan at some point or other. I don't remember it leaving any impression though.
I just watched The Fan, turns out I had already seen it but had happily forgotten all about it. It was a rough spot for De Niro, not so much for Wesley Snipes because he is known to be an action movie star more than anything. It's basically 120 minutes of melodrama and sappiness, at times I had to laugh because of how stupid it was. The script was just all over the place and tried to take itself too seriously, at least it was nice seeing Benicio del Toro and Ellen Barkin in small roles, though.

Big Fan is almost a parody of The Fan, that one I definitely would recommend. I'm sure some parts of the movie all sports fans can relate to.

I just watched The Fan, turns out I had already seen it but had happily forgotten all about it. It was a rough spot for De Niro, not so much for Wesley Snipes because he is known to be an action movie star more than anything. It's basically 120 minutes of melodrama and sappiness, at times I had to laugh because of how stupid it was. The script was just all over the place and tried to take itself too seriously, at least it was nice seeing Benicio del Toro and Ellen Barkin in small roles, though.

Big Fan is almost a parody of The Fan, that one I definitely would recommend. I'm sure some parts of the movie all sports fans can relate to.

That must be why I can't remember The Fan. I will continue to ignore it. LOL.

Reactions: Tricycle Rider

Yes The Fan was a B grader with a big budget. Don't think De Niro would put it in his top 10 !

The Little Things.this movie is a mash up of every old cop's career gone wrong movie ever made. Denzel Washington and everyone in this movie should feel artistic shame.
Fat Man..Mel Gibson is another version of Bad Santa and the boy villian is worth watching. When Mel made The Beaver I was worried but these movies may be his thing.
Promising Young Woman. If rape revenge movies are your thing,you probably will still find this film pretty predictable and stinky,that is my review after a difficult @20-25 minutes.
The Amulet ..you should watch this movie, it's very hard to explain. Not sure how German really weaves into the script, but it does. Strange is not a strong enough word for this film.
Justine Timberlake in Palmer is Ok. A little over the top w what is an ex con who returns to a sleepy home town..prison got Palmer..woke..and in a big way. Decent
from reading above you see that most of my movie picks should have stayed in the litter box, some real stinkers.
I plan to watch..A Year of Living Dangerously..and Gallipoli again just for a reset reference.I am sure that Semi Pro is a movie in the near future..

Terminator : Dark Fate (2019) continues the mediocrity of the Terminator franchise. As usual some good stunt work and effects but not much else. Reasonably entertaining but could have lost 20 minutes and been just as entertaining. A franchise that started really well with the first two movies and not a bad third one but downhill for the next three. In a way a lot like the Alien franchise with two great movies, a decent third one then a drop in quality. But I guess if there is money to be made they will keep making them.

I'm still working on rewatching The Wrestler (2008), it's kinda gloomy and dark, so I'd have to be in the mood for it. So in the meantime I rewatched The Pelican Brief (1993) - meh, about halfway through it starts to drag, this legal thriller is a little too long for what it's offering. At least the scenery was nice (nice shots of New Orleans' French Quarter), and it was nice seeing some actors whose names aren't Julia Roberts and Denzel Washington.

Interesting trivia tidbit - in the Grisham novel Denzel's character is white and he and Julia Roberts' character become romantically involved (yawn), but in the movie Denzel did not want to kiss Julia Roberts because he didn't want to upset his black female fanbase. Interesting, but for 1993 I think it's also understandable. I think some black women even nowadays frown when they see a white woman on a black man's arm, they feel like white women are stealing their black men. So I'm not faulting Denzel's reasoning.

Finally got around to re-watching The Wrestler, it is as good as I remember it being. Dark and gritty it reminded me of Raging Bull, 8 Mile, and Rocky all rolled into one. Having been a boxer in real life Mickey Rourke's mangled face and beaten up old body fit the role of an over the hill pro wrestler perfectly, and Marisa Tomei played an aging stripper convincingly. The only person who didn't seem to fit was Evan Rachel Wood, but her role was small, so that's a minor quibble. The Wrestler is not the typical Hollywood feel-good sports movie, but with its great acting from the leads it is definitely worth a looky. (I shouldn't forget to mention the soundtrack kicks ass if you're into 80s hairbands.)

On a side note - I did some reading up on 80's pro wrestlers after watching the movie, that was a blast from the past from when I followed pro wrestling as a young'un. There was Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, The Iron Sheik, Randy Savage, Andre the Giant, and my personal fave Roddy Piper. Good times, good times. Of course pro wrestling is scripted and choreographed, but it was fun to watch if you didn't think about it too much. (Kinda like a dumb but entertaining movie.)

Death Wish (2018) a lousy remake of the 1974 Charles Bronson movie. Thank God for the fast forward button....................

The Predator (2018) another terrible sequel, prequel, re-imagining. A waste of time............
Looks like you've been a sucker for punishment with these remakes recently, what inspired you to pursue such a course in your life?

Underwater (2020) starts off okay but it all seems so familiar. Like a B grade version of Alien mixed with The Abyss. Some good visuals and one or two jump scares were not enough to maintain interest. Terribly average.
I saw this recently, all I can remember is that it was pretty forgettable and I don't need to see it again. I also recall and agree that it's reminiscent of Alien and The Abyss, now that you mention it.

On my end I watched The Fourth War (1990), it's memorable because it's just so awful. I had such high hopes for this Cold War "thriller" with the leads being Roy Scheider and Jürgen Prochnow and with it taking place on the West German and Czechoslovakian border (I had lived in both countries during the Cold War), but the plot was so absurd I'm not sure why Prochnow and Scheider ever agreed to star in this dud. (Probably needed the paycheck.) The score also didn't fit, it's as if the composer had been watching an entirely different movie while composing the music.

Anyhoo, The Fourth War is just a silly, silly movie memorable for all the wrong reasons.

Ad Astra (2019) one of the better sc fi movies of recent years. Visually impressive with a good performance by Brad Pitt. Slow moving but not boring.
Lots of people are disappointed by this film. It's no exciting action packed space movie, for sure. Personally, I found it quite impressive. The overall feeling of loneliness and the incredible vastness of outer space were quite overwhelming.