• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mtb in CX

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I have a local clubs CX race meeting going ahead on the 14th. And member has said they are expecting 60 - 65% of the riders turning up and riding MTB bikes in the races.

I am missing something?????

I suppose it depends on the riders ability and the course, but I'd say if a course requires an MTB, even for good riders, then the organisers aren't doing their job properly.

However, it could be lots of people trying it out but only have an MTB so that's what they are using.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I see MTBs used in local CX races but I have yet to see one win. A lot of these riders are young kids but fail when they can't carry their bikes up stairs and ramps (in my area kids under a certain age ride for free).

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm all the more the merrier all get along guy too but reality is the wide flat bars are dangerous in a group cornering or bike carry on runups.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
Boeing said:
I'm all the more the merrier all get along guy too but reality is the wide flat bars are dangerous in a group cornering or bike carry on runups.

And what is wrong with my 780mm bars exactly?!?! :p

If you show up this season on your enduro bike you win

Re: Re:

Boeing said:
King Boonen said:
Boeing said:

180mm travel at both ends so I can carve those grassy turns just right :D

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I was marshalling a kids CX event run by our CC last weekend and all but 2 of the under 8s were on MTBs.The winner by a country mile was on a CX bike but she is Yorkshire under 8 champion.
The under 12s was won by a lad on a Surly Fat bike with those strange sideways drop bars.He won it by about 200m despite only using a tiny front ring.Not sure what size but it had a double set up and the "big" ring was only about 25t.Had he been on his CX bike he'd have lapped everyone.It was just a bit of Hallowe'en fun.
All but 2 adults were on CX bikes and the 2 on MTBs were lapped.

My son is starting CX racing in the under 10s and there's plenty on MTBs but the "serious" racers are on CX bikes even at that age.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
Boeing said:
King Boonen said:
Boeing said:

180mm travel at both ends so I can carve those grassy turns just right :D
and manual those barriers and sand pits

Mar 17, 2017
Visit site
I think that was very different! Genia and I drove up to Helwith Bridge near Settle in the Yorkshire Dales on Friday. What a Beautiful scenery in the evening sun! Genia looks up at the craggy peak on our left and exclaims “Wow look at that!” That’s Pen Y Chent I say. We will be riding up that tomorrow.

TRENDING THREADS