• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Multiple quotes

jaylew said:
Dude, you're kidding! Haddou is much better.

Yeah, you're right. That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Haddou is a much better rider.

The original post containing who is being compared to Haddou is not here.

It's a very simplistic example, but imagine this is three different people and there are multiple posts in between. The original post doesn't show up, so unless you wade through posts you have no idea what the original argument is.

Possibly this isn't the best example, but normally in forums, when you quote something, everything is included, included what that person originally quoted. Often you don't want or need all of that so you edit it out, but many times it's necessary for full comprehension and to avoid misunderstanding. You don't seem to be able to do that here unless I'm missing something.

Because forum software that includes all the previous quotes blows big time. No one ever trims their quotes; so after a couple of exchanges, there are quotes that take the entire screen.

It is also completely unnecessary. All you need is the quote of the person you are replying to.

BroDeal said:
Because forum software that includes all the previous quotes blows big time. No one ever trims their quotes; so after a couple of exchanges, there are quotes that take the entire screen.

It is also completely unnecessary. All you need is the quote of the person you are replying to.

I don't know. I've been on forums where it worked ok. I disagree with you about it being completely unnecessary; I've definitely needed it a few times. Maybe if there was a button for it and it wasn't a default?

jaylew said:
BroDeal said:
jaylew said:
It's a very simplistic example, but imagine this is three different people and there are multiple posts in between. The original post doesn't show up, so unless you wade through posts you have no idea what the original argument is.

Possibly this isn't the best example, but normally in forums, when you quote something, everything is included, included what that person originally quoted. Often you don't want or need all of that so you edit it out, but many times it's necessary for full comprehension and to avoid misunderstanding. You don't seem to be able to do that here unless I'm missing something.

I don't know. I've been on forums where it worked ok. I disagree with you about it being completely unnecessary; I've definitely needed it a few times. Maybe if there was a button for it and it wasn't a default?
Easy enough.

It won't do it for you automatically, but it's easy enough to include and nest previous quotes if necessary for context.

TRENDING THREADS