• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Music! What are you listening to now?

Page 38 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I wasn't necessarily meaning musically, but content-wise.

Xiu Xiu are generally more disturbed, full of moodswing outbursts, and some very open and detailed descriptions of mental health problems. The Red House Painters are full of melancholic stories, often to the point of being so personal and honest that it's frankly uncomfortable, especially earlier on in their career ("Katy Song", "Michael", "Mother", "Evil", "Medicine Bottle"). Another possible point of comparison would be Smog, which is full of melancholic stories, but often with a bitterness or a black humour, whether it be sarcastic (cf. "Dress Sexy At My Funeral"), or downright disturbing (such as when he makes a doll out of an ex's underwear in "All Your Women Things" or when he interrupts a very bleak, monotone, droning song about a Hannibal Lecter-esque female character in "Real Live Dress" to sing a few lines of "Baby Got Back" and you can almost see the sick smile on his face).

For me, the RHPs are one of the best bands of all time, but then I absolutely adore most "slowcore" bands like them, Codeine, Slint, Low...

Libertine Seguros said:
For me, the RHPs are one of the best bands of all time, but then I absolutely adore most "slowcore" bands like them, Codeine, Slint, Low...
Ditto. Well, to be honest, I'm not all that thrilled about Codeine, although they've got their moments. I like the 'Barely Real' EP the most - songs like 'Realize' and 'Jr' are terrific, but overall they haven't really crawled under my skin.

Red House Painters and Low, though, rank among my top 5-10 bands. Is Slint considered slowcore? I've always thought of them more as an inspiration to post-rock (the Young Team-era Mogwai version) than to the slowcore movement. Well, it's kinda tough to distinguish between these overlapping genres, I suppose.

Here's five slowcore or whatever favorites:

Early Day Miners - Offshore
Spokane - Minor Careers
Songs: Ohia - Being In Love
Arab Strap - The Long Sea (unfortunately missing the last two minutes, but it's awesome anyway)
Sophia - The River Song (one of the best songs I've ever heard live)

mortand said:
Ditto. Well, to be honest, I'm not all that thrilled about Codeine, although they've got their moments. I like the 'Barely Real' EP the most - songs like 'Realize' and 'Jr' are terrific, but overall they haven't really crawled under my skin.

Red House Painters and Low, though, rank among my top 5-10 bands. Is Slint considered slowcore? I've always thought of them more as an inspiration to post-rock (the Young Team-era Mogwai version) than to the slowcore movement. Well, it's kinda tough to distinguish between these overlapping genres, I suppose.

Here's five slowcore or whatever favorites:

Early Day Miners - Offshore
Spokane - Minor Careers
Songs: Ohia - Being In Love
Arab Strap - The Long Sea (unfortunately missing the last two minutes, but it's awesome anyway)
Sophia - The River Song (one of the best songs I've ever heard live)

Tweez isn't slowcore in the slightest. Tweez is straight out of the Steve Albini playbook. But Spiderland? Well, yes, they were a huge influence on post-rock, but songs like Washer are definitely slowcore, you can see a lot of Slint in Codeine too, and Idaho to a lesser extent.

Arab Strap, yes, now there's a band I love... though I sometimes have trouble with the lyrics. And of course with Stuart Braithwaite on "New Birds" and with Aidan Moffatt on Mogwai's "R U Still In2 It?" you can see massive overlap between postrock and slowcore; most of Mogwai's vocal tracks would fit in the genre, songs like Cody especially. I'm also enjoying an Argentine band called Jaime Sin Tierra at the moment who have a bit of a slowcore tinge to them (and also a bit of a Radiohead influence):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3EDQ33GosU

Boeing said:
Can't stop listening to this Canadian band Black Mountain

and Cake's new album

I was on Cake's website yesterday and I never noticed a "new" album on there, but of course I look again now and I find you're right (and I'm obviously blind)!

So is it as good as all the others? :)

Cake album titles always make me laugh. We've got:

Motorcade of Generosity
Fashion Nugget
Prolonging the Magic
Comfort Eagle
Pressure Chief

and now

Showroom of Compassion

How long now until they finally use "Suitcase of Courage"? :D

TRENDING THREADS