• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Music! What are you listening to now?

Page 382 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Joku Iiris - Joensuu

I hadn't really sought out any new 'lo-fi music made by some rando with an acoustic guitar' since the days when I got into The Mountain Goats and the Riot Folk collective, so this kinda feels like going home. Love the lyrics

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVulMXqQ8wI
I'm afraid I don't understand the language, but the vibrato and/or lilt in the artist's voice reminds me of very early female jazz singers a bit (e.g. Billie Holiday and Josephine Baker) who were recorded on vinyl. I think it sounds very retro at any rate and I like it. :)

Reactions: hrotha
I’ve always been curious what makes an American (or UK) song a hit in non English-first countries, does anyone here have ideas?
Most music playing on Danish radio is American or British or from outside Europe. Whatever is popular there will also be played here. I just checked a list of most played songs on a commercial channel, and only 12 out of 50 were in Danish. An additional 6 were in English by Danish artists.

I'm more curious the other way around. When does a European song break through over there, and why is it only French songs that make the cut without being in English.

Most music playing on Danish radio is American or British or from outside Europe. Whatever is popular there will also be played here. I just checked a list of most played songs on a commercial channel, and only 12 out of 50 were in Danish. An additional 6 were in English by Danish artists.

I'm more curious the other way around. When does a European song break through over there, and why is it only French songs that make the cut without being in English.
Most of the English speaking European songs that are popular here seem to be pretty similar to American pop or rock, eg Scorpions, ABBA, A-Ha (Take on Me), obviously anything UK, could all pass as American. The occasional song like 99 Red Balloons or Du Hast is a bit unexpected but usually they’re magnetically catchy

Almost all the non English speaking songs I can think of off the top of my head that made it big here are Latin, like Despacito, La Bamba, anything Shakira, Enrique Iglesias. Probably the style and vibe they give off.

Stuff like Bon Jovi’s It’s My Life barely making it on the charts in the US but being #1 in Spain, Switzerland, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Austria is what perplexes me.

Been on a major Will Oldham tick recently. I wanted to just post one video but then it'd just end up being "I See A Darkness" (the album version, not the weirdly fast version from the video) and I wanted to pay homage to the awesomeness of his early Palace days because "Days in the Wake" is his starkest, bleakest, most minimal (and best overall in my opinion) album, so I ended up adding a bunch.

This is MY idea of Americana. Man, Drag City records in the late 90s and early 00s were so good. Scott Walker's late period, Will Oldham (under various alter egos), Bill Callahan (as Smog), Cat Power, Cynthia Dall (tragically underrated and much missed), Dave Pajo (as Aerial M/Papa M), Joanna Newsom, Scout Niblett and Jim O'Rourke...

Also, why anybody on earth would think anything other than Moon Pix is Chan's best work is beyond me.