• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Music! What are you listening to now?

Page 72 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Just bought the new Kasabian and The jezabels. oh and the best of pink floyd because i really am too old to be listening to kids music.

evening of new music to listen too

cigs & alcohol and rocknroll star are my oasis faves. in retrospect, they kinda lost it after morning glory. but then again the peak was huge.

as for "britpop" records, to me pulp's different class, oasis' definitely maybe and super furries' radiator seem to have aged best. radiohead's bends and ok computer not so well.

now listening to the minutemen - two beads at the end

jkvfwijpg.gif

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
FAITH NO MORE - CAFFEINE LIVE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRFPs7L9Vgw&feature=bf_next&list=PLD7E6282CF09EA2C4&lf=results_main
Pour shame all over us
Harden into a crust
- - - cement - - -
Forget the glamor and
Mumble a jackhammer
- - - under your breath - - -
Hide your face in the curtains
Better unsaid, so close
And it rolls off the tongue
ALMOST
The world expects the pose
Perfectly natural
- - - loosen up - - -
Smearing wet concrete
And swearing you'll never be
- - - caught - - -
At your weakest, etched in stone
And we're frozen here, peeking
ALMOST
sweet talk
CAFFEINE
Make contact
Up to my neck
I confess in quicksand
"But it's so easy for you"
"There's always one thing"
"Do you have something to tell me?"
"Say something"
"Anything"
I'm warning you
I'm warning you
I'm f**king you
I'm warning you
"Relax"
"It's just a phase"
"You'll grow out of it"
Believe anything anyone ever tells you
It's not funny anymore
It's the thing you hate the most
The thing you hate the most
The thing you hate ALMOST

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Oasis have aged better than Radiohead? That's... not the most common of viewpoints.

Personally I think Oasis have aged terribly, it's all well and good if you were the right age at the right time for nostalgic purposes, but there were far better British bands throughout the 90s.

+1,000,000

I used to frequent a restaurant where this young Englishwoman worked as a server. She was a Londoner but had been living in Manchester for a few years before her move to the U.S. One night we had a discussion about the varying appeal of different English accents. I have always preferred the Liverpool accent to the Manchester accent (she felt the opposite), but I couldn't quite explain my preference. Some time later, it dawned on me- when I hear a Liverpudlian accent I'm reminded of John, Paul, George, and Ringo; that Manc accent just makes me think of those loutish Gallagher brothers. :mad:

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
meat puppet said:
cigs & alcohol and rocknroll star are my oasis faves. in retrospect, they kinda lost it after morning glory. but then again the peak was huge.

as for "britpop" records, to me pulp's different class, oasis' definitely maybe and super furries' radiator seem to have aged best. radiohead's bends and ok computer not so well.

now listening to the minutemen - two beads at the end

jkvfwijpg.gif

Strangely enough, I believe I saw the minutemen's last concert. They opened for REM at the last stop of their '85 concert tour in Charlotte, NC. About 10 days later guitarist D. Boon was killed in an auto wreck.

Jump ahead to 2008 and I catch Iggy and the Stooges at the Virgin Mobile music festival in Baltimore. Minutemen bassist Mike Watt is now a part of this version of the Stooges. The following January Stooges guitarist Ron Ashcroft dies of a heart attack, IIRC. Soooo..... it would seem that each time I appear in the life of poor old Mike Watt, I bring death to someone close to him. :eek: Sounds like the next sequel in the "Final Destination" series. :D

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
FAO Dutch/Belgian/German/Austrian lovers of seriously good guitar music! Please do yourselves a big favor and check Ryan McGarvey out if he's anywhere near you. He is a major talent (I have previously posted quite a few links for him.) I will be at Mol for the first show and intend to catch at least three others too!:p

04.11.11 BE-Mol, De Gompelhof
05.11.11 NL-Schaijk, Café-Feesterij De Potter
06.11.11 TBA
07.11.11 D-Köln, Yard Club
08.11.11 TBA
09.11.11 D-Schwerborn, Gute Quelle
10.11.11 OFF DAY
11.11.11 NL-Eibergen, Cafe de Stier
12.11.11 D-Wegberg, Zur Alten Post
13.11.11 NL-Enschede, Nix BBBluesclub
14.11.11 NL-Winterswijk, Blues in Schools
15.11.11 NL-Leiden, Muziekhuis QBus
16.11.11 D-Bremen, Meisenfrei
17.11.11 OFF DAY
18.11.11 D-Singwitz, Kesselhauslager
19.11.11 D-Hannover, Blues Garage
20.11.11 NL-Eindhoven, Wilhelmina
21.11.11 BE-Verviers, Spirit 66
22.11.11 D-München, Backstage
23.11.11 A-Frauental, Bluegarage
24.11.11 A-Wien, Reigen
25.11.11 OFF DAY
26.11.11 NL-Wijk, Calypso Theatre early show
26.11.11 NL-Mook, Vof de Port evening show
27.11.11 D-Rhede, Blues Rhede

ParfaitAmour said:
Laura Marling

Her new LP is sublime, great talent that lass

Looking forward to getting that one. Also ordered: some old King Crimson, the new Kate Bush, Bjork, Radiohead, King Creosote, and the one and only Thomas Waits.

Last week went to see the Villagers (a Dublin based band/project). You can check out "Becoming a Jackal" at

http://www.myspace.com/villagers

dark, disturbing, poetic and tuneful

Merritt is a Great pop songwriter.

He's no match for Joe Pernice, though:
Pernice Brothers - She Heightened Everything
Pernice Brothers - Saddest Quo

Or Gerard Love:
Teenage Fanclub - Shock and Awe
Teenage Fanclub - Sparky's Dream
Teenage Fanclub - Going Places

Or Robert Forster:
The Go-Betweens - Caroline and I

Or Grant McLennan:
The Go-Betweens - Was There Anything I Could Do?

But he sure knows how to write an intelligent, baroque pop song, Merritt. The Nun's Litany is one of my favorites. He's quite a lyricist.

And that was quite a number of YouTube links, sorry 'bout that.