• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Favorite Genre

• Other...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
So what are your favorite musical genres, artists, concerts etc...
I like almost everything from classical to punk to metal to trance. Just don't really like Jump and stuff, nor elektro...
fav artists must be the Stones, Beatles, Iron Maiden, MJ and Rise Against
Let's not forget Bob marley :)

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
So what are your favorite musical genres, artists, concerts etc...
I like almost everything from classical to punk to metal to trance. Just don't really like Jump and stuff, nor elektro...
fav artists must be the Stones, Beatles, Iron Maiden, MJ and Rise Against

The Stones and Beatles, not bad taste at all their mate ill add The Who , Pink Floyd , Early Bruce Sprinsteen and i like a lot of Aussie bands , namely YOU AM I , The Drones , Hoodoo Gurus and all the obvious ones ACDC ,INXS etc etc etc

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Depends on my mood. Rock in general, but I also like classical, blues, jazz, Spanish guitar, and some pop, but rarely rap.

Favourites include:
Older rock: Queen, Cold Chisel, AC/DC, Talking Heads, Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, The Doors, The Angels, INXS (early), Midnight Oil, Hoodoo Gurus, Beatles, Jimmy Barnes, Billy Joel, Black Sorrows, Creedence, U2, The Clash, The Corrs, David Bowie, Dire Straits, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Guns'n'Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Van Morrison.
Newer rock: Hedley, Faber Drive, Social Code, Arkells, Ben Harper, Jason Mraz, City and Colour, Butch Walker, Cold Play, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, The Decemberists, The Killers, Mumford & Sons, Neko Case, Paolo Nutini, Serena Ryder, Theory of a Deadman
Jazz: Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Harry Connick Jr
Country/Blues: Blue Rodeo, Carolyn Wonderland, Dixie Chicks, Johnny Cash
Blues: George Thorogood & The Destroyers, Chris Isaak, Gary Moore, John Lee Hooker, Ry Cooder
Spanish guitar: Rodrigo y Gabriela, John Williams
Pop: Black Eyed Peas, Beyonce, Dido, Missy Higgins, Norah Jones, Tristan Pettyman
Singer/song writers: Paul Kelly, Ben Lee, Bob Dylan, Jack Johnson, Joshua Kadison, Marc Cohen

May 5, 2010
Visit site
elapid said:
Depends on my mood. Rock in general, but I also like classical, blues, jazz, Spanish guitar, and some pop, but rarely rap.

Favourites include:
Older rock: Queen, Cold Chisel, AC/DC, Talking Heads, Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, The Doors, The Angels, INXS (early), Midnight Oil, Hoodoo Gurus, Beatles, Jimmy Barnes, Billy Joel, Black Sorrows, Creedence, U2, The Clash, The Corrs, David Bowie, Dire Straits, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, Pearl Jam, Guns'n'Roses, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Van Morrison.
Newer rock: Hedley, Faber Drive, Social Code, Arkells, Ben Harper, Jason Mraz, City and Colour, Butch Walker, Cold Play, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, The Decemberists, The Killers, Mumford & Sons, Neko Case, Paolo Nutini, Serena Ryder, Theory of a Deadman
Blues: George Thorogood & The Destroyers, Chris Isaak, Gary Moore, John Lee Hooker, Ry Cooder
Pop: Black Eyed Peas, Beyonce, Dido, Missy Higgins, Norah Jones, Tristan Pettyman
Singer/song writers: Paul Kelly, Ben Lee, Bob Dylan, Jack Johnson, Joshua Kadison, Marc Cohen

Very impressive list , well some i wouldnt personally listen too but in the main very very impresive taste ,

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Sydney Sider said:
The Stones and Beatles, not bad taste at all their mate ill add The Who , Pink Floyd , Early Bruce Sprinsteen and i like a lot of Aussie bands , namely YOU AM I , The Drones , Hoodoo Gurus and all the obvious ones ACDC ,INXS etc etc etc

heh thanks ;) Yup Pink Floyd The Who Bruce and ACDC are the bomb :) and let's not forget about the Smiths and Ramones :D couldn't of course name all things I like would take too much space and work :p Also really like Eminem, best rap music in the world

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
from the 60's not in order

1. The Beatles
2. James Brown
3. The Supremes
4. The Beach Boys
5. The Rolling Stones
6. Bob Dylan
7. Aretha Franklin
8. Sam Cooke
9. Jimi Hendrix
10. Ray Charles
11. Elvis Presley
12. Otis Redding
13. Marvin Gaye
14. The Byrds
15. The Who
16. The Four Seasons
17. The Temptations
20. Stevie Wonder
21. The Kinks
22. Roy Orbison
24. The Four Tops
26. The Doors
27. Martha & The Vandellas
30. Jefferson Airplane
32. The Mamas & The Papas
34. Cream
36. Creedence Clearwater Revival
37. Booker T. & The MG's
38. Sly & The Family Stone
39. The Yardbirds
43. The Animals
44. Buffalo Springfield
45. Etta James
46. Del Shannon
48. Jan & Dean
49. The Velvet Underground
51. The Lovin' Spoonful
52. Janis Joplin/Big Brother & Holding Company
54. The Ventures
56. The Band
58. Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention
60. Ike & Tina Turner
61. The Monkees
62. Gary "US" Bonds
63. Canned Heat
64. D!ck Dale
65. The Isley Brothers
66. Ben E. King
67. Paul Butterfield Blues Band
68. Gladys Knight & The Pips
69. Chuck Berry
70. Sam The Sham & The Pharoahs
72. The Righteous Brothers
73. The Turtles
75. The Hollies
78. The Grateful Dead
79. The Everly Brothers
81. The Dave Clark Five
82. Van Morrison/Them
4. Moby Grape
89. Love
91. Rick Nelson
95. Paul Revere & The Raiders
97. Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels
99. Donovan
101. Blood, Sweat & Tears
104. Steppenwolf
105. John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
107. The Troggs
110. Pink Floyd
112. Manfred Mann
115. The Kingsmen
117. Quicksilver Messenger Service
119. The Spencer Davis Group
121. Bo Diddley
122. The Surfaris
123. Country Joe & The Fish
129. Captain Beefheart
131. Little Anthony & The Imperials
136. The Youngbloods
138. The Coasters
139. The Velvelettes
141. The Box Tops
144. Hank Ballard & Midnighters
147. Edwin Starr
148. Cannibal & The Headhunters
149. The Moody Blues
151. The Shangri-Las
152. ? & The Mysterions
154. The Pretty Things
158. The Guess Who
159. The Steve Miller Band
161. Dr. John
162. The Electric Flag
163. The Platters
165. Procol Harum
167. Strawberry Alarm Clock
169. Duane Eddy
174. The Seeds
177. Traffic
178. The Zombies
179. Ronny & The Daytonas
181. Joe South
182. Fontella Bass
183. The Buckinghams
185. Small Faces
189. Iron Butterfly
190. The Chambers Brothers
196. Ten Years After
199. Blue Cheer

it is my job so i try not to play favorites. most of what has been named so far i like. i will add all Classical, from old to now. Indian classical.
also The Sub Atomic Barnacles,The John Trollmann Band, Sinizen, The Rusty
Pickens Band, Face To Face, The Midnight Screening,Nate Weiner,Robert Earl Keen, and NQ Arbuckle.

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Joris Voorn
Eric Prydz/Pryda/Cirez D.
Sebastien Leger
Reboot
Riva Starr
Chris Lake/Lake and Lys
Radio Slave
Mendo
Lutzenkirchen
Josh Wink
Jimpster

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:

Favourites include:

Ben lee is terrible! Ugh!

A

Anonymous

the jesus lizard
dinosaur jr
Metric
Grateful Dead
Dead Kennedys
fIREHOSE
Minute Men
Velvet Underground
Feelies
REM
The Replacements
Chemical Brothers
Paul Oakenfold
Orbital
Radiohead
U2
Parliament Funkadellic
Metallica
Butthole Surfers
Ministry
The Church
Steve Earle
Emmylou Harris
Mudhuney
Jon Specner Blues Explosion
Beck
Bob Dylan
The Band
Sonic Youth
Superchunk
Molly Hatchet
Marshall Tucker Band
Vic Chesnutt
Miles Davis
Dave Brubeck
Edith Piaf
Jeff Buckley
Fear
Death-For the whole world to see
Iron Maiden
Ozzy
Kiss
Accept
Megadeath
Exploited
Sun Kil Moon
James McMurtry
Mule/PW Long
The Carpenters
Jackson 5
Marvin Gaye
Isaac Hayes
Gap Band
Prince
The Melvins
Pylon
The Othermothers
Foo Fighters
Endless Boogie
Phish
Acoustic Syndicate
Audioslave
Beastie Boys
Public Enemy
LL Cool J
Onyx
Erica Badu
Cypress Hill
Big Black
Camper Van Beethoven
The Cult
The Flaming Lips
Fugazi
David Allen Coe
Merle Haggard
Johnny Cash
Husker Du
Killing Joke
Kristen Hersh
Everything But The Girl
Led Zeppelin
Psychadelic Furs
Ratt
Motley Crue
Motorhead
The Smiths
The Cure
Peter Gabriel
Sam Bush
Shudder to Think
Slint
Stormtroopers of Death
Soundgarden
Steely Dan
Sugar
Thin Lizzy
Throwing Muses
L7
Unknown Hinson
Violent Femmes
ZZ Top
WASP

Some great stuff there, Thoughtforfood!

Top-10 artists or something:

Teenage Fanclub
Yo La Tengo
Red House Painters (Mark Kozelek in general, but the RHP stuff are his best in my opinion)
Low
The Jayhawks
Piano Magic
U2
Neil Young
Cowboy Junkies
Damien Jurado

Don't make me rank these further - I can't.

I'm mostly into sad-baaastard singer/songwriters and americana with pretty vocal harmonies and acoustic guitars, but try to branch out. I love shoegazey stuff like Slowdive, Lush and Mahogany, late 80's/early 90's indie rock (Dinosaur Jr, Sebadoh, The Lemonheads, Velvet Crush, The Posies, etc), angry-but-sensitive women (PJ Harvey, Scout Niblett, Julie Doiron), Icelandic too-beautiful-for-its-own-good glacier music - in lack of better terms (Sigur Ros, Johann Johannsson, Olafur Arnalds), and more straightforward pop with a twist (The Go-Betweens, The Lucksmiths). And giants like Radiohead, R.E.M - yeah, even Coldplay - too.

Oh, I want to marry the voices of country-goddesses like Emmylou Harris, Paula Frazer and Carla Torgerson (from The Walkabouts), by the way.

Whoa - namedropping galore!

Country/folk/country-rock
Progressive rock
Classical/Film scores

Country folk artists:

The Byrds and the original members' later groups: Flying Burrito Brothers (+ Gram Parsons solo), Manassas, Crosby Stills Nash (& Young), Souther Hillman Furay Band, Desert Rose Band, Dillard & Clark (and obviously Gene Clark solo).
Nashville West
Buffalo Springfield
Neil Young
The Band
Eagles (until Hotel California not included)
Donovan
Jerry Jeff Walker
Waylon Jennings (+ Highwaymen)
Riverbilly
Brad Paisley
Kris Kristofferson
Hugues Aufray
Everly Brothers
Pete Seeger
Woody Guthrie
Creedence Clearwater Revival (+ John Fogerty solo)
Brooks & Dunn
Confederate Railroad
Alan Jackson
Don Williams
Joan Baez
John Denver
Bellamy Brothers
Whitey Morgan
Earl Scruggs
Johnny Cash
Boudewijn De Groot

And every Irish folk groups almost: Dubliners, Johnny McEvoy, Chieftains, ...

Prog rock:

Pink Floyd
Dire Straits (ok not really prog but I assimilate:p)
Triana
Jethro Tull
Emerson Lake & Palmer
King Crimson
Electric Light Orchestra
Rick Wakeman
Moody Blues
Premiata Forneria Marconi
Le Orme
Godspeed You Black Emperor
Ash Ra Tempel
Tangerine Dream
Supertramp
Camel

Classical:

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Fred Chopin
Georges Bizet
Antonin Dvorak
Johann Strauss dad
Johann Strauss son
Eduard Strauss
Jozef Strauss
Gioaccino Rossini

Soundtrack:

Ennio Morricone (and his great guitarist Alessandro Alessandroni)
Maurice Jarre
John Barry
Ry Cooder
Vangelis

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised at how many people like U2. I can't stand to listen to them live, once Bono starts singing its terrible. He doesn't have a very delightful voice live. Far to much work done by the sound engineers in the studio.

A

Anonymous

mortand said:
Some great stuff there, Thoughtforfood!

Top-10 artists or something:

Teenage Fanclub
Yo La Tengo
Red House Painters (Mark Kozelek in general, but the RHP stuff are his best in my opinion)
Low
The Jayhawks
Piano Magic
U2
Neil Young
Cowboy Junkies
Damien Jurado

Don't make me rank these further - I can't.

I'm mostly into sad-baaastard singer/songwriters and americana with pretty vocal harmonies and acoustic guitars, but try to branch out. I love shoegazey stuff like Slowdive, Lush and Mahogany, late 80's/early 90's indie rock (Dinosaur Jr, Sebadoh, The Lemonheads, Velvet Crush, The Posies, etc), angry-but-sensitive women (PJ Harvey, Scout Niblett, Julie Doiron), Icelandic too-beautiful-for-its-own-good glacier music - in lack of better terms (Sigur Ros, Johann Johannsson, Olafur Arnalds), and more straightforward pop with a twist (The Go-Betweens, The Lucksmiths). And giants like Radiohead, R.E.M - yeah, even Coldplay - too.

Oh, I want to marry the voices of country-goddesses like Emmylou Harris, Paula Frazer and Carla Torgerson (from The Walkabouts), by the way.

Whoa - namedropping galore!

I will get some RHP at some point. Ghosts of the Great Highway is one of my very favorite cd's.

As to Emmylou, Frazer, and Torgerson, I couldn't agree more.

Thoughtforfood said:
I will get some RHP at some point. Ghosts of the Great Highway is one of my very favorite cd's.
In that case you should give Songs for a Blue Guitar and Old Ramon a shot. The two final releases under the Red House Painters moniker, they have the same traditional folk rock vibe as the Sun Kil Moon albums, whereas earlier RHP is more gloomy sadcore. The first four RHP albums were 4AD releases, and the label bosses probably wouldn't have enjoyed the more traditional leanings of SKM. Actually, I think Kozelek was dumped from 4AD, because he wanted to make a more Neil Young/Crazy Horse'ish album. All that said, I love just about all of the RHP albums - the monstruous Rollercoaster is one of my all-time favorites, and Katy Song is one of the most beautiful songs ever written IMO.

By the way, I love Ghosts of the Great Highway, too - at least the first seven songs. I always lose interest halfway through Duk Koo Kim, and although the two tracks toward the end is fine in their own rights, the album sort of loses its momentum there. A shame, really, but it's a mighty fine album nevertheless.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
titan_90 said:
I can listen to anything except country and rap which I can't stand.

You just need to find the right stuff. ;)

I spent about 3 years working in a music store when I was a wee lad and got great exposure to all kinds of music. If it's good music, then I like it.

There are worthwhile artists/bands in ALL genres.
Search them out.

TRENDING THREADS