• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

My attempt at a cycling game

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
The season has started but it's slow for me. Qatar starts in a couple days, so there's some time to kill I guess.

I created this for amusement and wanted to share. It's all made up.

stg1.jpg

That's a stage profile I created. Now all I need is people to predict the winner on it.
Rules are simple. You can choose any rider from any team that you want for this, or maybe a team of three whichever sounds better. Then, alls you have to do is await the results.

Again this is all for amusement. I hope I can get some people to join in on it. :D

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Startlist so far:

Quickstep:
Sylvain Chavannel

HTC Highroad:
Mark Cavendish

Omega-Pharma Lotto:
Andre Greipel

Farnese Vini-Neri Sottoli:
Andrea Guardini

I've decided I'm gonna change it a bit. Change in the way that I'll post a startlist in the next couple of hours or so

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
This reminds me of the bizarre genius that was... was it the "Grizzly Tour" thread? Gonzalo Rabunal featured heavily. Anyone remember that?

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I did get the idea from that :D

Startlist

Quick-step

1. Sylvain Chavanel
2. Marc de Maar
3. Niki Terpstra

HTC-Highroad

4. Mark Cavendish
5. Caleb Fairly
6. Leigh Howard

Omega-Pharma Lotto

7. Andre Griepel
8. Adam Hansen
9. Jurgen Roelandts

Farnese Vini-Neri Sottoli

10. Andrea Guardini
11. Giovanni Visconti
12. Otavio Bulgarelli

Leopard-Trek

13. Stuart O' Grady
14. Maxime Monfort
15. Oliver Zaugg

Radioshack

16. Robbie McEwen
17. Robbie Hunter
18. Manuel Cardoso

Garmin-Cervelo

19. Martijn Maaskant
20. Murilo Fischer
21. Brett Lancaster

Movistar

22. Jose Joaquin Rojas
23. Vasil Kiryienka
24. Ivan Gutierrez

Liquigas-Cannondale

25. Daniel Oss
26. Ted King
27. Fabio Sabatini

Katusha

28. Filippo Pozzato
29. Alexandre Pliuschin
30. Leif Hoste

BMC

31. Manuel Quinzato
32. Alexander Kristoff
33. Mathias Frank

Lampre

34. Francesco Gavazzi
35. Adriano Malori
36. Greg Bole

Rabobank

37. Tom Leezer
38. Maarten Tjallingi
39. Stef Clement

Team Sky

40. Chris Sutton
41. Michael Barry
42. Jeremy Hunt

Cofidis

43. Leonardo Duque
44. Damien Monier
45. Tony Gallopin

UnitedHealthcare

46. Robert Forster
47. Scott Zwizanski
48. Christian Meier

Saxo Bank-Sunguard

49. JJ Haedo
50. Gustav Larsson
51. Nicki Sorensen

Astana

52. Enrico Gasparotto
53. Alexander Vinokourov
54. Tomas Vaitkus

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
No SaxoBank-Sungard?? I want to put my money on JJ Haedo =D
Or
Astana?? Vino FTW! in a breakaway since Km. 60! :cool:

Alright Ryagaus, I'm putting them in just for you.

The startlist will have 6 new riders added. Check it

Eric8-A said:

Dont forget to include Contador. THis is YOUR race, dont let Mcquaid tell you who you can or can not pick. Also Valverde for Movistar. That would be a very interesting race then because he is the strongest sprinter outside sprints (if you get what im trying to get at),

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Dont forget to include Contador. THis is YOUR race, dont let Mcquaid tell you who you can or can not pick. Also Valverde for Movistar. That would be a very interesting race then because he is the strongest sprinter outside sprints (if you get what im trying to get at),

hahahaha that sounds like an slogan!!
Don't let Rat McSUX ruin your cycling season!

+1 :)

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Eric8-A said:

BTW awesome! thx!!!

Now will be hard for me to pick the winner... this situation needs the meditation hat! :cool:

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Results

1. Giovanni Visconti
2. Robbie Hunter +11
3. JJ Haedo
4. Brett Lancaster
5. Staurt O' Grady
6. Daniel Oss
7. Andrea Guardini
8. Robert Forster
9. Manuel Quinzato
10. Filippo Pozzato

The day started fairly lenient. Some riders tried to break off but were reeled in pretty quickly. It wasn't til a succesful group of riders (Pozzato, Cardoso, and Ivan Gutierrez), took off several kilometers from the only climb of the day. After going over, they had managed to get a lead of '38 seconds over the main group.

With at least 100 k's remaining, it didn't seem like the break would be able to stay away. And they didn't. Along the way, they were joined by Giovanni Visconti and UnitedHealthcare's Christian Meier.

Back in the peloton, the work of the chase was being done mostly by HTC Highroad and Lotto.

The break was reeled in with 28k's remaining and was looking like a sprint would close the stage as the teams were lining themselves up.

13k's remaining, a crash occured as Caleb Faily flatted and took down a large majority of the front group. Taking the opportunity, Visconti rode away unscathed and took another shot at getting away with the win. Although the crash did take out some big names, not all the sprinters went down as Radioshack's Robbie Hunter and Saxo Bank's JJ Haedo were trailing behind. with only a 12 kilometers to go, the chasers had hopes to catch Visconti and deliver the promised sprint finish. But Visconti was not going to let them off easy as he kept his legs spinning.

Staurt O' Grady, Brett Lancaster and Daniel Oss were doing most of the pulling while the rest benefited from their slipstream to conserve themselves for the later sprint.

1k to go, all it took was one look back for Visconti to have an early celebration as he got out of the saddle and accelerated towards the finish line with one hand on his handlebars and waving the other to the crowd cheering him on.

Robbie Hunter got second place on the day, 11 seconds behind Visconti, followed by the Argentinian, JJ Haedo. As for the rest of the field, there were no serious injuries, just some minor scrapes and bruises.