• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

My early observations about aero wheels vs. box rims

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been doing some mileage on a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL, 2009 edition. These are basically aluminum rims with carbon fairings.

So far, basically same tires, same tubes, I feel like I'm working harder to turn these things than I was with a set of Mavic Ksyrium elites. I know the weight of the two is nearly identical. But I'll be damned if the aero wheels don't feel like more work.

Anyone else have the same experience. Would I notice any difference at all in a higher end 50mm set of pure carbon wheels? Perhaps in a sew-up rather than clincher?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
ashpelham said:
I've been doing some mileage on a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL, 2009 edition. These are basically aluminum rims with carbon fairings.

So far, basically same tires, same tubes, I feel like I'm working harder to turn these things than I was with a set of Mavic Ksyrium elites. I know the weight of the two is nearly identical. But I'll be damned if the aero wheels don't feel like more work.

Anyone else have the same experience. Would I notice any difference at all in a higher end 50mm set of pure carbon wheels? Perhaps in a sew-up rather than clincher?

Not identical, not really close either in terms of wheel weight. Your Cosmics are about 200g heavier than the Ksyriums, that's about .5lb. The amount of force it takes to get the Cosmics spinning is going to be more, but where the deep section rims shine is at speed. A nice set of deep carbon tubulars are going to weigh about the same as your Ksyriums, or even a bit lighter.

What's the reason for amassing a bunch of wheels? You racing/training, or fitness riding?

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm planning on racing on the aero wheels in criteriums in the south this season, like every year. But now, after riding them a bit, I'm having a hard time even justifying keeping them, because all of that cornering and accelerating, then cornering, etc and so on looks a lot more tiring with half a pound more rotational weight under me.

Last weekend, with my team, I could tell it was a little better at 25-30mph with the aeros, but what effort did I expend to get them up to that speed?

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Super deep section rims aren't that great for crits, just for that reason of constant accel/decel. If you still want the aero benefits, but much lighter go with around a 38mm tubular, although you can get deeper wheels, like a 58mm that are much lighter and stiffer than those Cosmic SL's you've got, which are consumer grade wheels btw.

I suggest taking a hard look at ENVE composites.. Sizes come in 25/45/65. Consider the 45's, they'd be a world better than your Mavics.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Those enve wheels are certainly nice to look at. The weights are great too, but I'm on a little stricter budget than that. But those are some dream wheels.

Whatever consumer grade wheels means, I can tell. They are built exceptionally well, however, and they roll very smoothly. Still, the extra weight is noticeable for a guy that has rode and raced for 10 years. Just cannot commit 2G's to a wheelset.

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
ashpelham said:

I haven't been able to justify the Carbon Aero Wheels yet either. I race mostly crits as well and my concern is multifaceted:

1. Weight of the wheels in my price range (also I prefer clincher)
2. Braking performance of Carbon wheels
3. Crashability of Carbon wheels (I've had someone take out my back wheel in a road race before - it happens)
4. I don't want to change out wheels, brake pads. I want to train on what I race.
5. As near as I can tell, a good set of 50mm carbon wheels will save me about 10 watts at 25 mph. That's really not that big of a gain. I can save much more with body position or drafting.
6. Crosswind performance. I don't want to make racing anymore hairy than it already is by being blown around by the wind.

Honestly, I just can't justify the cost and I'm not convinced of an overall performance increase (considering braking, cross winds, acceleration). So for the time being my bikes have Bontrager RXL's and Mavic Ksyrium ES's which about as un Aero as a person can get.

I ended up putting my wheel money this year to a coach and have had good results in working with him so far. Anyway - it seems like a better value.

-s

TRENDING THREADS