• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Championships

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 6, 2009
Visit site
Silence-Lotto will have 19 riders riding on Sunday. If they don't win, I say get on your bike and ride as fast as possible away from the DS.

craig1985 said:
I'm going for EBH to retain his Norwegian national TT crown and to win the road race as well. Is Thor riding? I know he has bigger fish to fry in July then to worry about his national champs. Take your pick out of the Schleks and Kim Kirchen for the Luxembourg RR and TT title and I think we throw in one of the young Kazahks of Astana to make a name for himself and go after the RR and TT (I'm going for Maxim Iglinsky in the RR). Tomas Vaitkas should retain his Lithuanian RR (or is for Jamaica?) title.

Hagen is definitly hot favourite to win both titles,but i will keep an eye on Stian Remme too, for the road race,he looked good in that Ringerike GP this year.:rolleyes:
Luxembourg will be again a 3-man affair,maybe with the interference of Christian Poos in the TT.
Jani Brajkovic should have no problem for the slovenian TT,just like Frantisek Rabon for the czech one.;)
Speaking of Lithuania i agree,Vaitkus wins the road race,while Konovalovas will retain his TT title.
Taaramae for the estonian tic-tac should be a 99% correct prediction.

And last but not least,how about Laszlo Bodrogi new french TT champ?:D
I think he'll be a serious challenger for Chavanel,with Coppel and Vaugrenard as outsiders.

laurentiu46 said:
My mistake.:D
Anyway,this does not seem the hilliest region in Holland,and having a look at the profile,it could come down to a reduced sprint.
It will be difficult for Gesink to win,so my pick is Karsten Kroon.:rolleyes:
It is in the hilliest region of Holland, but they chose to avoid the hills and go into the city...

If they went 15 km (10 miles) outside the city, they could have done the Eyserbosweg, or some kilometers ahead also the Keuteberg. But no. The champs had to be boring again.
By the way, it's so easy, I'm picking De Jongh. Possible even Van Hummel can survive.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
The British road championships, being held in Wales in Abergavenny can be found here: http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/ro...-Championship-Week-in-Abergavenny-This-Year-0

It's a little hilly, but Cavendish is guaranteed to start, as well as Garmin's Bradley Wiggins.

The Canadian championships are being held in Saint-Georges de Beauce, Quebec, and Garmin has confirmed that defending TT champ Svein Tuft and road race champ Christian Meire will be there. It is four laps of a 45 km circuit, found here: http://www.tourdebeauce.com/en/site.asp?page=element&nIDElement=1210

It doesn't look like Ryder Hesjedal will be in it again this year.

The profile of the british rr is not so difficult,but if Millar holds his Dauphine form,might try something on that small ascent placed a few km from the finish,and then time trial all the way to the line.:rolleyes:
After being signed by Garmin,Tuft didn't do anyhting in the TT's. But he should still be the man to beat in Canada.;)

I just read Wegmann's statement:the german race could be suited to the likes of Greipel,Haussler and Ciolek.

Rubens Bertogliati is the new swiss TT champion. He beat Mathias Frank by 2 seconds.
No,he didn't beat FC.:D Cancellara got bored of winning the world champs last year,not to mention the swiss champs.;)
I read Bodrogi must wait another year to contest the french championships.
I think it'll be Chavanel for the 4th time...:rolleyes:

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
TT Titels for:

FRA: 1) Jean-Christophe Péraud (Creusot Cyclisme) 2) Sylvain Chavanel (QST) 3) David Le Lay (Agritubel)

UKR: 1)Andriy Grivko
SLO: 1) Janez Brajkovic
LIT: 1) Ignatas Konovalovas
SUI: 1) Ruben Bertogliati

This guy Peraud really is a surprise. He's usually racing the MTB calendar.
No surprises though,Grivko and Brajkovic smashed the field,winning by 1:30.

Other TT champs: Alexander Wetterhall won in Sweden ahead of Fredrik Ericsson by some hundreths of a second.:eek:
And in Latvia,the everlasting Raivis Belohvosciks(i think this one has more titles than FC in Switzerland).

Eddie was the big favourite,no doubt about that. Let's see him in the road race.
I saw Bak won in Denmark,ahead of Alex Rasmussen and Jakob Fuglsang.
Rabon and Maciej Bodnar also kept their titles for Czech Rep and Poland respectively.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Weather you follow womens cycling or not . . . you gotta love granny Jeannie Longo winning yet again in the TT.

And what of the French men TT, beaten by a mountain biker:eek:

Maybe Hinault should suit up too:) . . . he's probably seething that the men can't beat a mountain biker.

lostintime said:
Weather you follow womens cycling or not . . . you gotta love granny Jeannie Longo winning yet again in the TT.

And what of the French men TT, beaten by a mountain biker:eek:

Maybe Hinault should suit up too:) . . . he's probably seething that the men can't beat a mountain biker.

Well, MTBers are generally very good at time trials. The main benefit the road TTers have is better aerodynamic technique and are more familiar with TT bikes but at a purely physicaly level it's never a surprise when a MTBer does well in time trials.

Other examples are Kessiakoff who came 3rd in Sweden and Fuglsang who got 3rd in Denmark.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Mountain bikers certainly are every bit as fit as road riders, but it's gotta hurt the ego to have someone show up at your race and beat you that's not even a road ricer or even trains in the TT.

Can anyone show up for these Nat'l champs or what?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
lostintime said:
Mountain bikers certainly are every bit as fit as road riders, but it's gotta hurt the ego to have someone show up at your race and beat you that's not even a road ricer or even trains in the TT.

Can anyone show up for these Nat'l champs or what?

I think the pros get an invitation from their fed.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
They say it's the flattest in several years.

Here's a link for it: Norway Road Race

There are two sort of uphillish parts but the elevation is no more than 80 meters from the lowest to the highest so it's basically flat.

Than Thor if he participates, if not... EBH might have good chances:rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS