• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Championships

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The jury is still out on the course. You got to remember that Rabo CT completely dominates the U23 race and have most (but not all) of the best riders. Constantly attacking untill the other strong men in the race can't close the gaps anymore. The pro race will be much closer with two other strong teams, especially Skill could decide to ride tempo and set up van Hummel for the sprint.

THere are lots of other favorites depending on the race. Bos would probably be Rabo's man for a sprint (van Hummel for Skill Traksel for Vacansoleil). Dekker, Kroon or Terpstra could run away with it by riding a smart race and letting the big teams do all the work (not really Terpstra's style but it can happen). Riders like Clement, Weening and Moerenhout can profit if Boom and Gesink are heavily marked and I'm a fan of Lieuwe Westra (vacansoleil) who is a very attacking and strong rider.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Amsterhammer said:
It should be a good race between Gesink and Boom. I think anyone else would be a surprise.
Imagine both Boom and Albert becoming national champion. That would be awesome, all the road pros getting their butts kicked by two young cyclocross dudes that have only recently picked up road racing :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
he did an ok ster elektrotour and will be doing austria next month. Domestique for tomorrow i guess.

Thanks, he had been flying under the radar, so I was wondering what his chances were for tomorrow

just have to endure maarten ducrot for one afternoon :(

I wish I COULD listen to Maarten. Unfortunately, US broadcasters decided not to air the NK :rolleyes:, and on top of that most commentary is very painful. Uitleggen wat een waaier is...

I have frantically been checking the NOS site, but I can't find any section that mentions a live report of the NK 2009.

eric_vv said:
The jury is still out on the course. You got to remember that Rabo CT completely dominates the U23 race and have most (but not all) of the best riders. Constantly attacking untill the other strong men in the race can't close the gaps anymore. The pro race will be much closer with two other strong teams, especially Skill could decide to ride tempo and set up van Hummel for the sprint.

THere are lots of other favorites depending on the race. Bos would probably be Rabo's man for a sprint (van Hummel for Skill Traksel for Vacansoleil). Dekker, Kroon or Terpstra could run away with it by riding a smart race and letting the big teams do all the work (not really Terpstra's style but it can happen). Riders like Clement, Weening and Moerenhout can profit if Boom and Gesink are heavily marked and I'm a fan of Lieuwe Westra (vacansoleil) who is a very attacking and strong rider.

I like the analysis, and I think you have summed it up pretty nicely!

Jasper said:
Imagine both Boom and Albert becoming national champion. That would be awesome, all the road pros getting their butts kicked by two young cyclocross dudes that have only recently picked up road racing :D

What would that say about the status of cycling ;)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
I wish I COULD listen to Maarten. Unfortunately, US broadcasters decided not to air the NK :rolleyes:, and on top of that most commentary is very painful. Uitleggen wat een waaier is...

I have frantically been checking the NOS site, but I can't find any section that mentions a live report of the NK 2009.

I don't know if you're Dutch, or how good your Dutch is - you spelled the sentence above perfectly! - but you should at least be able to get regular reports on Radio 1 live from 3 pm CET (9 am Eastern) by clicking on the button on the right hand side here - http://www.nos.nl/nos/voorpagina/

There may even be a live stream, if you're lucky. ;)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
KazakhNeRider said:
Kazakhstan, Road race
1. Dmitriy Fofonov (Elite)
2. Maxim Gourov (Carmioro-A-Style)
3. Dmitriy Gruzdev (Elite)

isn't fofonov suspended?

/edit: nm
Rider Comment

Dmitriy FOFONOV tested positive for heptaminol in the 18th stage of the Tour de France 2008. He was suspended for 3 months by the Kazakh federation, until April 1, 2009.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
He was suspended but not by the Kazakh federation, he has got license of the French Federation.
I can't remember exactly but his ban finished a bit earlier than 1st April, because start of 3 months ban was moved after his appeal. Now he rides with Kazakh national team and hopes to sign with some team for next season

Kurt Asle Arvesen wins that Norwegian Road Race Championships. He attacked with 9 kms to go and managed to stay away with just 3 seconds ahead of a chasing group it seems.

1 Kurt Asle Arvesen
2 Alexander Kristoff
3 Thor Hushovd

6 Edvald Boasson Hagen
10 Gabriel Rasch

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Outsprinted said:
Well the National Championships are coming up, and many riders are using these as a preparation for the Tour.
Who do you think will take the jerseys?
Who uses them just for preparation?

Discuss...

August 29th for the US. Is the US the only country that allows non US pros into the race? Think so..silly but it IS in the US.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
If anyone at all still has any doubt that race radios make the racing mind-bendingly dull, I point you toward the french championships that are being run without radios.

What a race so far!

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
If anyone at all still has any doubt that race radios make the racing mind-bendingly dull, I point you toward the french championships that are being run without radios.

What a race so far!
So is the belgian, with radios

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
I just tuned in. Am I seeing this right? Just Boonen and Devolder (?) together in front? :eek:

EDIT: It's Devenyns and De Weert apparentely. Guess I saw what I wanted to see :D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
I don't know if you're Dutch, or how good your Dutch is - you spelled the sentence above perfectly! - but you should at least be able to get regular reports on Radio 1 live from 3 pm CET (9 am Eastern) by clicking on the button on the right hand side here - http://www.nos.nl/nos/voorpagina/

There may even be a live stream, if you're lucky. ;)

I am dutch, so I am supposed to know the language a little ;) I WAS lucky, because studio sport had a live stream. I just saw Koos cross the finish first...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
It would prove, once again, that quality of cylco-cross is as high as that of road racing.

Thijs Al made an attempt (and failed) in the dutch Championship... Love to see that guy do well coming winter.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
eric_vv said:
Rabobank really lost control over the race and were lucky to still win it. Great race incredible attacking riding all over the place. It's not the radio's it's the occassion.

Ha did you see them trying to safe the race, putting the whole team (what, 18 man?) at the front of the peloton, to get back to an 'amateur', Tjalingii, a dead Curvers and van Hummel... That was golden!:)