• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Championships

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
It was indeed a great race here in Holland and no one can begrudge Koos the win in the circumstances. He tried very hard not to sound too bitter about missing the Tour, but my impression was that he's really hurt.

I'm sure all who saw the race will agree that today's real hero is Joost van Leijen, who should have earned himself a decent contract somewhere after today's showing. ;)

edit - and as I suggested yesterday, it was indeed a really tough course, they were all totally spent at the finish.

Have the French and the Belgian races to watch. From what I've already seen, they look great and the Belgian is still running. Eddy Merckx doing commentary on RTBF Sat?
Missed the Dutch on Ned 1 and the Italian on Rai, unless Piu repeatbut had time to these, today.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Switzerland:

1. Fabian Cancellara (Saxo Bank)
2. Matthias Frank (BMC)
3. Thomas Frei (BMC)

Germany:

1. Martin Reimer (Cervélo)
2. Dominic Klemme (Saxo Bank)
3. Roger Kluge (Team Brandenburg)

Italy:

1. Filippo Pozzato (Katjoesja)
2. Damiano Cunego (Lampre)
3. Luca Paolini (Acqua e Sapona)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Amsterhammer said:
It was indeed a great race here in Holland and no one can begrudge Koos the win in the circumstances. He tried very hard not to sound too bitter about missing the Tour, but my impression was that he's really hurt.

I'm sure all who saw the race will agree that today's real hero is Joost van Leijen, who should have earned himself a decent contract somewhere after today's showing. ;)

Something similar happened to Langeveld in 2006, although I think he rode for Skil then.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Boonen!!!!

Barely wins by a whisker.
EDIT: not that close, actually now looking through a decent camera angle

So, only Ukraine, Belarus, Canada, Slovenia and Hungary missing.
All other results are accounted for. (I'd list them but they're too many :p)

A

Anonymous

issoisso said:
Barely wins by a whisker.

So, only Ukraine, Belarus, Canada, Slovenia and Hungary missing.
All other results are accounted for. (I'd list them but they're too many :p)

UK?..........

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
issoisso said:
Barely beats Gilbert by a whisker.

Looks like a full bike length to me :p

Too bad for Gilbert, but that was pretty much what he could have expected with Boonen in that group. Weird tactics by Silence though. Willems was leading the pack in the last 500 metres, with Van Avermaet in his wheel and Gilbert right behind him. All Gilbert had to do was drop a little gap, and Van Avermaet was free to sprint to victory. But instead Van Avermaet has to lead out the sprint for Gilbert, who is not as fast, certainly not against Boonen. :confused:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
I'm sure I'm not the only one, but: who the hell? :confused:

30 year old Rapha Condor rider. Doesn't even do that well in domestic british races, heh :p

as for the "Who The Hell?" award, it goes to Martin Reimer for beating the 26 Milram riders in Germany ;)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
Looks like a full bike length to me :p

Too bad for Gilbert, but that was pretty much what he could have expected with Boonen in that group. Weird tactics by Silence though. Willems was leading the pack in the last 500 metres, with Van Avermaet in his wheel and Gilbert right behind him. All Gilbert had to do was drop a little gap, and Van Avermaet was free to sprint to victory. But instead Van Avermaet has to lead out the sprint for Gilbert, who is not as fast, certainly not against Boonen. :confused:

Only heard it on the Radio... really exciting, very retro, listening to cycling on the radio!

Does this mean Boonen might get an invite to the TdF?

I am hoping Posthuma (who dropped out today) will still be replaced by Koos Moerenhout ;)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Joost dropped out of tour or the race??

surely koos has to be now (should have been in from the start), im thinking i'd rather have him in the team then posthuma... he can TT well, and has too much expierence to leave out. This is the 2nd time in 3 years he become champion (no?)'

missed the race, girlfriends birthday...

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Bala Verde said:
Does this mean Boonen might get an invite to the TdF?
I don't think this will change anything for ASO, so they won't grant him clemency. And the judges handling his case aren't supposed to be influenced by this kind of achievements :p

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Joost dropped out of tour or the race?

Posthuma dropped out of the NK today, I think 30-45m before the finish, last 2 rounds I guess. He is still on the team for the TdF, I was just expressing my preference for Koosie :D

Congrats to your gf

@ Jasper: Only tree participants in this year's LUX championship? ;)

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Joost dropped out of tour or the race??

surely koos has to be now (should have been in from the start), im thinking i'd rather have him in the team then posthuma... he can TT well, and has too much expierence to leave out. This is the 2nd time in 3 years he become champion (no?)'

missed the race, girlfriends birthday...

Even better 1st 2nd and 1st in the last 3 years. Last year he only lost because Boom hitched a ride with terpstra and jumped to Moerenhout when Terpstra wasn't coming back. (Boom was the strongest in the race but wouldn't have won without Terpstra)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
....And now the results from Ireland.

1, Nicolas Roche (Ag2r La Mondiale)
2, David O’Loughlin (An Post M. Donnelly Grant Thornton Sean Kelly)
3, Paídi O’Brien (An Post M. Donnelly Grant Thornton Sean Kelly)

TRENDING THREADS