• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 140 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
@Alpe: good point on Jadaveon in Houston. Also, I think Houston could still be really tempted to take him #1, not just on talent, but as another weapon to give divisional threat Indy & Luck fits. Pretty much agree on everything else, especially on AJ McCarron & Garoppolo, who played well when I watched him this year.

On it being a crap shoot... for sure. But compared to last year this one coming is a REAL crap shoot. For instance, last year Mayock predicted correctly something like 4 or 5 of the first five round 1 selections.

@Hitch: I do not think Houston will announce early who their #1 will be, simply because I think it a real possibility they may want to trade down. The uncertainty might give teams wanting to trade up to their spot a bit more reason to sweeten the offer, and if the offer is good enough, who knows, they might be tempted enough to take it.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
10250182_495542113880205_7108552910606461109_n.jpg

While the strength and consistency of quite a few kickers have made them almost irrelevant (infact I'd like to see even more returns), I'd hate to see the game without kickoffs, it's such a great aspect of the game that can throw anything up, long return, fumble, it can really change the whole momentum of a game too.

Without them the start of the game would be such an anti-climax.

I foresee the Cowboys perhaps finishing last this season, so that's a pretty good poster!

As to the draft, this is dragging out too damned long, though less than a week to go. Greedy mistake moving the thing to May if you ask me. Really wide mix of predictions from pundits. Here's another grab bag of experts who don't agree on anything beyond Clowney, this one on NFL.com.

As to the kickoffs, I still want to know what the NFL sees in it's danger? If Goodell repeatedly won't admit that playing in the NFL causes long-term damage saying he's not a physician, and he wants a longer playoff as soon as he can get it, plus a longer season. So, how can he lead the charge for eliminating the kickoff without saying why or showing the numbers?

We also came up with more than a few suggestions earlier on changing it here that I thought weren't bad.

Ouch! Poor Pete Rose being associated with that crew. hehe.

I agree. Way too much talk focused on the draft, or way too much time to hash it over and over.

Ian Rappaport reports Rams may draft a QB. NFL.COM LINK. Actually not a bad idea to get a backup who would possibly be capable of starting someday like 3-4 years down the road. Ahhhhh, half this stuff is smoke screens anyway.

There was a pretty good video on ESPN featuring Todd McShay and (forget get his name) QB-fixing guru. Todd was just the set up man, pointing out problems with each QB (they covered Manziel, Bortles, Garappolo, and a couple others that did not include Bridgewater). I'm sure Todd was well coached by the guru. The thing I came away with is Manziel really has some terrible mechanics passing. If it wasn't for his athletic creativity I'd say he was a project. Bortles had some less severe issues. Garappolo's issues... small 9" hands and does not secure the ball well, making him susceptible for getting strip sacked.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Since we talk scandals, what happened to "Mr. Bounty". Was/is he allowed back like the other offenders (Payton, Vilma, etc.)?
Bonus: Look at the tits of this ugly basterd. Opinions?

620x523x02270101-1024x865.jpg.pagespeed.ic.HPi8udD2eb.jpg

The 49ers exercised their option on Aldon Smith, thereby announcing to the world that yes, winning is everything. Of course they said they are going to work with Smith to make sure he doesn't get in any more trouble with the law, but that's what they said last year after the party at his home in which someone was shot. He went through five weeks of rehab at that time, and we've seen how much good that did.

Reminds me of the woman who sticks with her alcoholic husband because "this time he really, really, really is gonna change".

If Bill Walsh were still around Aldon Smith would likely be cut. Not just no exercising of his option, cut.

As to Greg Williams, he fully admitted his wrongdoing to the NFL and cooperated. After his suspension he was hired by the St. Louis Rams. They fired him for whatever the reason, he went to Tennessee as an assistant. And I believe this off season the Rams have hired him back. Not sure what his job is, too lazy to look it up.

As to QB's, I'm surprised and disappointed they didn't look at Bridgewater. Why? Because I still don't understand why so much emphasis has been put on his mediocre Pro Day (and a few private workouts) with his stellar in-game performances last season almost entirely forgotten. I'd also like to see more analysis on Tom Savage. I want to know why the Patriots quietly keep watching him.

Gregg Williams becomes the defensive coordinator for the Rams. ESPN LINK.

I was VERY surprised the ESPN crew did not include Bridgewater in that segment. I forgot to mention when I posted about that segment earlier that the guru's role in the segment was to explain what training techniques he would use to correct the problems for each QB as presented by Todd McShay. This guru was a football guy who knows what he is doing, and has a reason for everything. SO, by Bridgewater's omission from discussion in that segment, is that an endorsement for Bridgewater? (e.g. maybe they did not find many significant problems with him that were worth talking about... at least compared to the other QBs). If that is the case, the ESPN boys did not say. Bridgewater looked great in the post season, and so the pro day seems like an aberration, but I cannot say that for sure b/c I have not watched enough film. Pro scouts will have watched enough film, so I won't be surprised if Teddy gets drafted above the other QBs.

I cannot question the 9ers decision to exercise their option on Aldon Smith. It is possible that this will provide him professional stability for the moment that could help him get things in order personally. It could even be said the 9ers decision is a humanitarian move, like a family helping out one of their own. And this can work for Aldon if he's a guy who only requires little hammers (consequences) to readjust, as opposed to requiring bigger hammers before being willing to make changes. I only hope the best for Aldon, and that whatever issues he's got he can successfully turn them around.

I forgot to mention Seattle opted to not pick up the 5th-year contract option on former 1st round pick James Carpenter (OL). This means he will be a free agent after the 2014 season. Carp started out at ROT for Seattle before getting injured. Then he was moved to the RG, then LG positions, where he continued to struggle with injury, and has not really developed. Not surprised by the move, which signals to other Hawk backup OLinemen (including Carp) and other draftees the roster spot is up for grabs.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
The 49ers exercised their option on Aldon Smith, thereby announcing to the world that yes, winning is everything. Of course they said they are going to work with Smith to make sure he doesn't get in any more trouble with the law, but that's what they said last year after the party at his home in which someone was shot. He went through five weeks of rehab at that time, and we've seen how much good that did.

Reminds me of the woman who sticks with her alcoholic husband because "this time he really, really, really is gonna change".

This could be a long term team-wide problem for them. I can't see morale and discipline being sustainable through a tough season with this kind of message to players and fans. If Smith f*cks up again and team performance suffers whose head will be on the block? GM or Coach?

Two days until the draft. Here are rumblings I'm reading, and watching when I bother to glance at the NFL network.

Talk of Kalil Mack moving up every day. Could even jump to 1st. I still think Houston takes Clowney. He's the most talented player in the draft, and Houston a perfect fit for him.

All talk now that Bridgewater has fallen to the 2nd round, maybe further. Why? The key seems to be a lack of deep field accuracy. His arm is average, and his throws outside the hash marks and across the field have not been sharp, which translates into interceptions, less deep throws, and more pressure defenses to deal with.

Derek Carr's stock has risen however. Only one team won't take him, Houston, and that's because of his name.

My guess tells me the 2nd round this year is the round all the QB's will be taken. Maybe more than 5. Bridgewater, Savage, Garrapolo, McCarron, Mettenberger. Bortles and Manziel could even slip that far. Maybe. Teams that aren't thinking QB early (Cincy, Arizona, St. Louis, Chicago, KC) may take one if a guy they like is there.

All the talk about the Redskins shopping Kirk Cousins by having him play late in the season seems for naught. The team hardly appears to be even discussing him with other clubs. Do they expect RGIII to get hurt? Or is this a ruse and he'll be dealt on draft day?

The Bucs however are shopping Mike Glennon. Though he didn't play great by the numbers, he looked like a leader with some upside in a bad situation on a bad team last year. After the team hired Lovie Smith, Glennon was all but kicked to the curb. Now, word is they are shopping him for a draft pick. Maybe the 2nd round. Who would take him instead of a 2nd round QB in the draft? I might.

KC may be looking for a QB in the draft. They don't want to give Alex Smith an extension, even though he practically carried them last year, especially in that playoff game their defense lost. Rumblings that Reid and GM Dorsey are at odds on this.

My gut tells me Smith's former team will be active draft day. The Niners are already loaded with talent, and a whopping 11 draft picks. Six of those picks are in the top 100 slots. That's almost double what other teams have. So look for some wheeling and dealing by them to get the guys they want. (Another reason I think the 49ers are going to win the Superbowl this year).

The Rams also have plenty to play around with and I won't be at all surprised if they trade out of the 2nd pick. Rams have a pretty bright future, if the offense and Bradford can stay healthy (or will they replace him?).

Curious what Arizona does. Palmer is getting old, Fitzgerald too. But they can still play and the Cardinals look like a team on the upside too.

The NFC West is going to be brutal. Sea, SF, Ari and StL. Four teams that will either pummel the rest of the league, or each other.

I thought 49ers would win the superbowl this year as well.

But since Seattle, its all gone crashing down over there.

The heart of that team is the LB's. Bowman had a major injury he might need a long time to work his way back from, Willis isn't getting younger and their number 1 player, i can't even say his name goes and tells LAX he has a bomb:rolleyes:

Now some of those picks that they were going to use on CB and WR's for Kaep, are going to have to be spent adressing their strength too.

Their top cb has been in trouble with the law. Their coach and gm despise eachother.

Rams have a good day tomorrow, and I can see the 49 ers finish last in the West. :eek:

I have also heard statements that there may not be any QBs taken in the first round. I don’t know if I would go that far, but for my picks here, I am only taking one QB in the top ten. Why not? Well,
1. How many of the top QBs prospects in this draft are we confident will end up as Pro Bowlers? Not one that I would hang my hat on.
2. How many players are there at other positions that have good chance of becoming Pro Bowlers? Lots. Like Clowney, Mack, Watkins, Evans, Matthews, Robinson, Lewan, Ebron, Mosley, Barr, Lee, Gilbert, or Dennard, to name a few.
3. There is such a temptation for team’s desperate for a QB to reach for one. Some teams might reach because any team needs a good one to have a good shot at going deep in the playoffs. But they’d be nuts to reach for any of these QBs and pass up on any one of those Pro Bowlers. Especially when a QB can be picked up later in round 1 or in the second round. Yeah, reaching for QBs in round 1, passing up future for sure Pro Bowlers; that’s the stuff that fuels talk of failed drafts.

My Picks:
1. HOU- Jadaveon Clowney (DE, South Carolina): OLB is a bigger need, but JC gives HOU that extra punch to harass division rival Luck. And I give an edge to the competition proven SEC player JC over BufaWHAT.
2. STL – Greg Robinson (LOT, Auburn): I’ve been hearing they covet Jake Matthews and at #2 overall they probably don’t need to create a smoke screen. Still, I’m going with who I would pick, the more athletic Robinson.
3. JAX – Khalil Mack (OLB, Bufalo): They have bigger needs than OLB, but this is more about drafting the best athlete at a position of lesser need. For instance, I don’t have WR (e.g. Watkins) as a major position on their radar screen.
4. CLE – Sammy Watkins (WR, Clemson): QB is also a need, WR is a need. Take the future Pro Bowler!
5. OAK – Jake Matthews (LOT, T A&M): OAK had an offseason net loss on the OLine and need to make up for that.
6. ATL – Taylor Lewan (LOT, Michigan): ATL may trade up, but trying guess who would trade down for them is too tough for me. My guess would be HOU or STL. And it makes sense for them to trade up with HOU b/c ATL has bigger need at DE or OLB. Problem is ATL only has 7 picks, has numerous other needs, and HOU may ask too much.
7. TAM – Mike Evans (WR, T A&M): biggest need is DE, but they are like ATL with only 6 picks and plenty of other needs like QB, TE, MLB, OLB, and OL.
8. MIN – Blake Bortles (QB, UCF): MIN has plenty of other needs, but QB is far and away their #1 need.
9. BUF – Eric Ebron (TE, NC): They may go for a LB (Mosley, Barr) or RT, but TE is big need and Ebron is the only real stud TE in the draft. They can pick a good OLman in later rounds.
10. DET – Justin Gilbert (CB, OSU): I go with the bigger Gilbert over Dennard.

there. now I'm an official pundit.:eek:

The Hitch said:
I thought 49ers would win the superbowl this year as well. But since Seattle...
Yee of little faith!
Novarro Bowman is ahead of schedule and while he thinks he'll be ready for the start of the season, both he and the coaching staff say it's more important he's ready for the end of the season.

As to Willis age, he's only 29!

As to Aldon Smith and his stupidity, well, the team is keeping him. Why? All indication is that his teammates really like and support him. The guy is an idiot, but he is a very good player.

As to Harbaugh and GM Baalke, don't believe all the talk. Both say they will get in heated discussions, but it's blown way out of proportion in the media and blogosphere.

Yes, they need help in the secondary, and don't be surprised if they pick up a WR. Plus, Justin Smith isn't getting younger, and a stud DT would help.

But the 49ers are deep, very deep. Plus they should have a fire in their belly to get over the hump.

The distractions of Aldon Smith, and Kaepernick in Miami would have been a real problem mid-season. But they're buried deep in the off season, and will only be a footnote come January.

Having said all that...

Rams have a good day tomorrow, and I can see the 49 ers finish last in the West. :eek:

The NFC West is so stacked, if the 49ers stumble, we could see a division that looks something like this:

Seattle 12-4
Arizona 11-5
St. Louis 9-7
San Francisco 8-8

:eek:

My draft predictions:D

1 Atlanta Falcons - Jadeveon Clowney
2 Houston Texans - Khalil Mack
3 Jacksonville Jaguars - Teddy Bridgewater
4 Cleveland Browns- Greg Robinson
5 Oakland Raiders - Sammy Watkins
6 St Louis Rams - Jake Matthews

8 Minnesota Vikings - Blake Bortles

20- Arizona Cardinals - Derrek Carr

26 - Cleveland Bronws - Johnny Manziel

32 - Houston Texans - Jimmy Garropolo.

Jags ****ed it up imo.

Bills traded up. I was sure for Mack who is from Buffalo:eek: Watkins afterall

Browns look like they are being smart and trading down for picks. I told Alpe and On3 a few weeks ago Browns were on the up, yall disagreed with me;);)

#1 was expected afterall. Watt and Clowney, is going to be so exciting to watch. Them terrorizing RG3 is probably the game ill be watching on the first Sunday.

Edit: Good pick for you guys Alpe. Raiders have a very hard schedule as well so they can spend another year improving while still getting good draft position for next year and being contenders going forward a few years.

The Hitch said:
Jags ****ed it up imo.

Browns look like they are being smart and trading down for picks. I told Alpe and On3 a few weeks ago Browns were on the up, yall disagreed with me;);)

#1 was expected afterall. Watt and Clowney, is going to be so exciting to watch. Them terrorizing RG3 is probably the game ill be watching on the first Sunday.

Wow, the Bills are idiotic. That's just way too much to trade to move 5.

Raiders!! Great pick.

red_flanders said:
Wow, the Bills are idiotic. That's just way too much to trade to move 5.

Raiders!! Great pick.
Yep. Its essentially what Atlanta paid for Julio Jones minus a 2nd. (Edit: and 2 4ths )

But Atlanta was moving up from late 20's. Buffalo from 9th. :eek: Which means that 1st could potentially be another top 10 first as well

I thought it kinda made sense if they were taking Mack because as the hometown hero that might energize the fanbase.

But Watkins, there are other WR's out there they could have taken.

The Hitch said:
Jags ****ed it up imo.

Clowney and Watt will be terrorizing luck in Indianapolis in their division also

on3m@n@rmy said:
Clowney and Watt will be terrorizing luck in Indianapolis in their division also

You can breathe a sigh of relief. If Bridgewater hype didn't suddenly plunge last month, Houston may have taken him and then Wilson would be being terrorized by Quinn and Clowney ;)

NFC South hardest to predict next year. Any team could come 1st or 4th.

Are Browns going to **** up the praise i threw their way for being smart and take Manziel

Really happy with the Raiders. Awesome that Mack dropped in their lap and they weren't so stupid to pass him by. I was really concerned they were going to take Manziel at that point. Whew! :)

A little surprised that the Jags took Bortles at 3. They must have seen something they really liked, or were thinking the Texans would pass on Clowney, or they didn't want Mack?

The Bills, wow. I think everyone in the room thought they moved up to take Mack, after talk all week that Mack could even go #1. Not that Watkins is bad, but...

Two years ago Cleveland had two first round picks. They took Trent Richardson and Brendon Weeden. Both never produced much and neither are still on the team. This year with two picks they trade down, still get the best DB in the draft in Gilbert, and Manziel, who will sit behind Hoyer, at first.

At 17 the Ravens took Alabama star linebacker CJ Mosley. No one is saying he's the next Ray Lewis, but he has big potential and that's a team with a storied defense.

at 21 the Packers got Clinton-Dix, this may turn out to be a superb pick, as Dix has cover speed for a safety, and has a reputation of reading offensive schemes extremely well, which is paramount moving from college to the NFL.

At 29 the Patriots took Dominque Easley. This guy is a talent whose stock dropped because of past ACL tears to both knees. The Pats took a risk, I presume thinking he'll be a situational player, not an every down player, and they'll get his best out of him.

Finally, Seattle didn't see all they liked, and dumped their pick to Minnesota who took Bridgewater. This is interesting because the Vikings already have two QBs who don't have great arm strength in Ponder and Cassell. But it also tells me they didn't want Derek Carr. And assumed the Texans would take Bridgewater before their next pick.

Curious who the Texans take today right up front? Will they actually draft someone named Carr again?? Curious about Jax and Oak too.

Agree Hitch, the NFC South will be interesting. Logic tells me the Panthers will continue to win. But that division, it's hard to say.

Some 2nd and 3rd round thoughts.

NO Quarterbacks taken in the 3rd round! Proving me dead wrong. Savage, McCarron, Mettenberger and Aaron Murray all still available.

Happy Derek Carr fell to the Raiders. I was a little surprised he fell as far as he did since his stock has been rising, but knew that Houston wouldn't take him because of his name. Which brings up an interesting point. David may have mostly been a bust, but I heard Derek say he couldn't think of a better brother to have than one with 10 years of NFL experience. How true. Beyond that, it looks like all linemen for the Raiders.

Seattle took Paul Richardson which is interesting as there were WR's on the board supposedly much better. But Richardson can flat out fly, and though small, fights for balls. Pete Caroll and his staff know more than any pundit, so they see something in him I expect we'll soon see too.

Tennessee need a RB but took Sanky Bishop from Washington instead of Tre Mason from Auburn, who was supposedly the best overall RB in the draft. First RB taken this year.

Tampa took Charles Sims in the 3rd, and Tre Mason fell to the Rams in the 3rd, which is a good pick for him, and St. Louis.

Baltimore's pick of DT Timmy Jerigan is interesting because there was talk he could go in the 1st round. This adds another new player to the Ravens defense that could become an everyday player, and a good one. After that, the Ravens to a safety. All defense.

New England surprised me by taking not Tom Savage, but Jimmy Garappolo. I imagine they think Brady will play 16 games, they'll know what to do with Mallett by the end of the season, and they'll know if Garappolo will pan out by then. He's mentally tough, but I've never been big on QB's that play in small conferences.

As predicted, San Francisco have been wheeling and dealing, but I thought they may move up to get a higher pick than they did. They took a safety, Jimmie Ward, in the 1st, like a lot of people thought. If you watch the video of RB Carlos Hyde he's perfect for them. Not a Barry Sanders type, he basically runs through tackles and isn't afraid to hit to get an extra half yard. Plus, he can catch the ball out of the backfield. Can he block? I don't know. They also got Marcus Martin, center from USC, and a very good one who fell too far. Plus Chris Boreland from Wisconson, who is a poor man's Luke Keuchly. Meaning? He's small, but he can, and will, hit hard, every play. A perfect selection for them.

TRENDING THREADS