• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Elimination; JAX, SL (to add to DEN, OAK)
Survival Loser of the week (up to now zero strikes, waiting for the updates Alpe, had Indy & KC so far); TEN
HFA-System-Picks™ ;); all home teams, except JAX (thus 1st non home pick this year goes to... IND)

Vs Amster & Alpe: 10/16
Vs Esh & Hitch: 9/15

Amsterhammer said:
TB @ ATL – What an embarrassment this was.
SD @ BUF – Rivers on a roll?
DAL @ STL – Dallas doesn’t throw much, Dallas wins.
WASH @ PHIL – I would love to believe, but I don’t. The Iggles have been pretty good.
HOU @ NYG – Another loss for these poor Giants.
MINN @ NO – Really should be a home banker, Saints have something to prove.
TEN @ CIN – Bengals must be too good at home.
Bal @ CLE - A Ravens loss would be no surprise, but I'm sticking with them.
GB @ DET – A tough one could go either way. I’ll take the cheeseheads.
IND @ JAX – Away banker
OAK @ NE – Absolute home banker.
SF @ ARI – Going for the Niners, but a home win would be no major surprise.
DEN @ SEA – Another home banker, especially if it’s bad weather.
KC @ MIA – Two Jekyll and Hyde teams, Fins to have the edge at home.
PIT @ CAR – Panthers have the edge at home.
CHI @ NYJ – Da Bears should be too good.

11/16 respectively 10/15

Alpe d'Huez said:
For tonight's game:
TB@ATL

Alpe d'Huez said:
SD@BUF - Bills aren't really a 3-0 team, are they?
DAL@StL - Close call. Cowboys defense just bad enough for Rams to win.
WASH@PHI - May be closer than people realize, but went with Eagles.
TEX@NYG - Are the Texans for real? I'm not so sure, but the Giants passing game sucks, playing a top defense.
MIN@NO - Lock of the week.
TEN@CIN - Titans improving, but Bengals for real.
BAL@CLE - Browns at home, Ravens rattled with distractions. Is this an upset pick?
GB@DET - I still think the Packers are very good, but Detroit is too, at home.
INDY@JAX - Indy will not start 0-3.
OAK@NE - So tempted to pick the Raiders, but...
SF@ARI - SF inconsistent on offense, missing key defenders. Cardinals on a roll and a great run defense.
DEN@SEA - Lot of emotions in this game. Seattle better overall team, and at home, but PM has a long history of looking great in games like this.
KC@MIA - Home team, better overall team.
PITT@CAR - Awesome Panthers defense prevails.
CHI@NYJ - I kind of like the Jets. Secondary exposed against Aaron Rodgers, but team playing well overall.

10/16 respectively 9/15

Eshnar said:
TB @ ATL – Is that still valid? :p

No :cool:

Eshnar said:
SD @ BUF
DAL @ STL
WASH @ PHIL
HOU @ NYG
MINN @ NO
TEN @ CIN
Bal @ CLE
GB @ DET
IND @ JAX
OAK @ NE
SF @ ARI
DEN @ SEA
KC @ MIA
PIT @ CAR
CHI @ NYJ

9/15

The Hitch said:
SD @ BUF- SD have history of beating the best teams and losing to the worst ones.
DAL @ STL- Dallas can pull ones like this out of the bag but STL are a very talented team. Home wins
WASH @ PHIL- Better team. Division games close though
HOU @ NYG- Close enough that home wins
MINN @ NO- Brees in the dome
TEN @ CIN - Lock of the week (aside from Pats)
Bal @ CLE- Chosen all home so far so have to pick an away team. Division game and Ravens have talent.
GB @ DET - ARod gets it going
IND @ JAX- A little better
OAK @ NE- Way better
SF @ ARI- Palmer out so will go niners
DEN @ SEA- Better team and at home
KC @ MIA- KC hitting into stride
PIT @ CAR- Better team and at home
CHI @ NYJ- Great game and total toss up. Like both these teams. Will take Geno and the Jets at home over injury riddled Bears. Cutler can step up here though.

9/15

--------------------------------------------------

Season Standings "Foxxy´s Simple Random-HFA+bigA-Fav™" :D vs well thought picks:
Me 29/48 vs Amster 28/48
Me 21/34 vs Alpe 21/34
Me 17/30 vs Esh 15/30
Me 9/15 vs Hitch 9/15

Amster 21/34 vs Alpe 21/34
Amster 17/30 vs Esh 15/30
Amster 10/15 vs Hitch 9/15

Alpe 15/26 vs Esh 13/26
Alpe 9/15 vs Hitch 9/15

Esh 9/15 vs Hitch 9/15

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Coming week picks: All home, so IND will be still alone (as away pick this season)...

Sure loser; (Survival had Indy, KC & TEN so far) PHI. Have to pick them sooner or later, so why not now...
Elimination; (DEN, OAK, JAX, SL so far) this week I go with TB & MIN not to win the SB...

@ Alpe: Still waiting for the Survival & Elimination Stats/Standings. It´s like with teeth pain. People won´t tackle them (like me, because big fear of dentists), but the longer they wait the worse it gets... IOW, sooner or later it will get real tough to sift trou all posts and get the picks together.
;) :eek:

Alpe d'Huez said:
NFL.com reporting that Tampa Bay is working out Terrerll Pryor to give him a shot there. It's not a bad idea, but they need more than a dynamic QB. I like Pryor and am surprised the Texans didn't give him a look either, as their offense this past week was pathetic. The Giants took away the short passing game, and that was it.

I like Pryor too, and he does bring a dangerous element to the game. (here comes the 'but' word) But, his passing accuracy while trying to make the Seattle squad was poor. If his accuracy had been good in Seattle this offseason he would have been a keeper. Hope it works out for him on some team.

Here are the updates. I looked through just about every post, and think I'm right. In case I missed something, please add your picks to the list. Don't send me a PM, just post it here in the open.

On Elimination Football®, you should currently show 4 teams, and before Thursday's game you should eliminate two more for a total of 6.

Alpe - NYG, Cle, Jax, StL - This week I am adding TB and Mia
Foxxy - Den, Oak, Jax, Stl, This week: TB, Minn
Glenn - Jax, Oak, TB
Amsterhammer - Wash, Dal, NYG, SD, Oak, Jax
Hitch - Jax, Cle, Oak, Stl
Merckx, - NYG, Jax, KC, Miami
Leftover Pie - NYJ, Dallas, NYG, Wash
Pricey sky - (no picks)
Torebear - Oak, Jax, NYG, TB, Tenn, KC

For Survival Football™. You should have three picks now, and pick a 4th team before Thursday's game. If you're behind, you can keep picking, but you still get strikes for missing past picks.

Alpe - Indy, KC, Minn. This week's pick: Tenn.
Foxxy - GB, KC, Tenn. This week: Phi
Glenn - Mia*, SD*, Den
Amsterhammer no pick*, SD*, Oak
Hitch - Jax, Cle, Minn
Merckx - Mia*, NYJ, Minn
Leftover Pie - SD, Tenn, Wash
Pricey sky - Buf*, no pick*, no pick*
Torebear - NYG, Chi*, Pitt*

* = Strike.

Of note, Glenn made only 1 Elimination pick in week 2, if I interpreted his post right about TB. After week 1 he made no direct Survival picks, but did say during the week he'd take anyone playing Seattle. So I added SD* and Denver.

ToneBear and Amster are ahead of the game on this week's Elimination, and don't need to pick.

Pricey Sky has been kind of off the grid on picks, but added his early pick anyway.

There were other members in the original list, but they never made any picks, so I didn't include them here.

Here is this coming week's schedule to help assist with picks.

:cool:

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I should have never fell behind. I don't know what to pick or where to pickem. :D

Elimination - Washington and Buffalo if I need 2 more teams I will add Texans and Minnesota.

I'm still in the Survival thing? I have 2 strikes. But If I'm still in I will pick an easy one ---Jacksonville will lose to Chargers.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Here are the updates. I looked through just about every post, and think I'm right.

Cool. Thanks, very nice. :)
To all those having Eli-minated the Gaints: Watch out... they are... well, the Giants. :eek: If Eli brings his (1)* game, all is possible.

* Definition:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
EM has three kinds of games (1) lucky ones (2) bad ones (3) ugly ones. And a steroid neck in a baby body. Just disgusting. A freak...

... not that people miss-interpret (1) with a A-game... Such things are not in the (play)Book-of-Eli. :D

Ok then, 2 more teams that wont win the superbowl are the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (shocker, I know)- still talented team though that I could see winning a few down the stretch though, and the Miami Dolphins. I think I'll keep it mostly in the AFC next few weeks too.

A team that will lose this week, Ill take Titans even though its less secure than TB imo, because i want to save the Bucs for the dome next week.

To update Alpe's chart then

Alpe d'Huez said:
Alpe - NYG, Cle, Jax, StL - This week I am adding TB and Mia
Foxxy - Den, Oak, Jax, Stl, This week: TB, Minn
Glenn - Jax, Oak, TB
Amsterhammer - Wash, Dal, NYG, SD, Oak, Jax
Hitch - Jax, Cle, Oak, Stl, This week: Mia, TB
Merckx, - NYG, Jax, KC, Miami
Leftover Pie - NYJ, Dallas, NYG, Wash
Pricey sky - (no picks)
Torebear - Oak, Jax, NYG, TB, Tenn, KC

For Survival Football™.

Alpe - Indy, KC, Minn. This week's pick: Tenn.
Foxxy - GB, KC, Tenn. This week: Phi
Glenn - Mia*, SD*, Den
Amsterhammer no pick*, SD*, Oak
Hitch - Jax, Jets, Minn, This week: Tenn
Merckx - Mia*, NYJ, Minn
Leftover Pie - SD, Tenn, Wash
Pricey sky - Buf*, no pick*, no pick*
Torebear - NYG, Chi*, Pitt*

Also Alpe you had me as picking Cleveland on week 2. If that had been the case I should have got a strike. Thankfully though I went back and checked I had picked the Jets.http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showpost.php?p=1573820&postcount=3794
Very lucky too in a sense since Jets should have won that game, but alas - I survived:p

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Survival football (if i am allowed to play :p :D)

Giants to lose against RedSkins.

That is a tough game to call. It is the battle of the inept teams.

I want Washington to win but can see that since last week NY might be getting Colonel reb into gear so look out. :eek:

Zam_Olyas said:
Survival football (if i am allowed to play :p :D)
Giants to lose against RedSkins.
Officially, you're out. But you can still make your picks, sure. Come one, come all.

As to the Washington NYG game, that is intriguing. Last week Eli and the NYG offense finally got their short, timed passing game in order and looked good, and a solid defense easily stopped an inept Houston offense. But that was just one game. Washington does look on the up in some ways, but still has some holes. If Kirk Cousins keeps playing the way he is, he has to be the QB of the future for Washington. He looks like a winner, and fits very well into Jay Gruden's system. But that may be a big if.

In the 2013 playoffs, after RG3 blew his knee out, Foxxy said that was it for his career. Despite an amazing rookie season and having a strong arm (Cousins seems to also), without that kind of mobility and ability to run, he would never be the same. That seemed like a drastic prediction by Foxxy, but so far he's been right. If I were the coach or GM of Washington, I'd be seriously considering a future with Kirk Cousins at QB, even when RG3 heals, unless Kirk starts to collapse under the pressure and make serious mistakes. I know that sounds a little cruel to RG3 and his fans (I like him too), but it also may be the practical answer for the franchise.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
First of all, thanks to Alpe and Foxxy for doing the boring statto work. ;)

As you can imagine, Alpe, the question you addressed above has been at the center of the debate among Skins fans. I am not convinced that 3Bob is done for good, but I am (so far) more than delighted with Cousins (despite his late choke vs. the Iggles) and look forward to seeing him keep his place until there is some compelling reason for him to lose it.

Our special teams are killing us at the moment. Even the defense has stepped up and performed beyond expectations. (Our expectations were pretty low.) :eek:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Foxxy said that was it for his career. Despite an amazing rookie season and having a strong arm (Cousins seems to also), without that kind of mobility and ability to run, he would never be the same. That seemed like a drastic prediction by Foxxy, but so far he's been right.

Thanks. In Germany they once called me the QB-Guru. I called out the Cunningham rise before it happened in Minnesota, the rise & fall of the Mirers in this world and others; that Bulg Bulger (my creation ;)) would not fare worse than Warner (in StLouis), etc....
Here, next to others, I called out the BS about Glennon being a good QB.
I know self-praise stinks, so before Merckx steps in; my other predictions fail as those of others (may even worse), that´s why I implemented the random HFA system. :D

Alpe d'Huez said:
Cousins seems to also

He has. 2012 he threw 59 mph at the combine (best). He can become a 3/3-QB (accuracy, arm strength, reading skills), thus being ahead of the butter armed 2/3-QBs.
So nothing to worry in WAS at the QB position...

Amsterhammer said:
First of all, thanks to Alpe and Foxxy for doing the boring statto work. ;)

I love to do that. Not boring for me at all. :)
Numbers don´t lie. Only those who (sometimes intentionally) interpret them wrong lie. That´s why statistics have a bad reputation.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Coming week picks: All home, so IND will be still alone (as away pick this season)...

Sure loser; (Survival had Indy, KC & TEN so far) PHI. Have to pick them sooner or later, so why not now...
Elimination; (DEN, OAK, JAX, SL so far) this week I go with TB & MIN not to win the SB...

I’m confused. Why do you have to pick Philly? If we pick one loser every week, that’s only 17 for the season. There are lots of teams you never have to pick. Am I missing something?

My survival loser this week is TEN. My elimination teams are Buffalo and St. Louis.

The Hitch said:
?

You are 3 for 3 in that case. Chargers lost to Arizona in a great mnf opener. Titans lost to Dallas week 2 and Wash to Philly week 3. Don't know why you gave yourself strikes.

Sorry, I have those in the wrong order that's why, it was actually:

Tennessee* (beat Kansas City - At Arrowhead :rolleyes:), San Diego* (beat Seattle), Washington (lost to Philly)

Score = 1

Or another way to look at it score (strikes) = 2 (and lowest score wins)

The Hitch said:
WTF. As I switched that game off I thought the Seahawks had it won. In front by 5 with a first down deep in Broncos territory inside 2 minutes. How did Broncos come back :eek:

Must really hurt to lose in overtime after that comeback.

I've been waiting for the experts to comment before I'd say anything. So here's the Bleacher Report link to their theory on making Manning look ordinary. The B/R article boiled down to this: "Seattle’s fundamental defensive approach is to swarm, hit, strip and repeat". Defensive speed allows them to do that, but that's not all. PREPARATION by Seattle defenders. However, the B/R article did not really address how the Broncs came back. Sitting in the lower deck of the south endzone at that game gives a unique view you do not often see on TV. You see everything develop across the field. So during that drive I was thinking "why are our DBs out of position?" Especially on the right defensive side (Maxwell) who they seemed to target. It came out after the game on that final drive the Broncos ran a route they had not run before... giving Seattle no preparation to get ready for it. It's atypical for Sea DBs to be so consistently out of position. Moral of the story, teams that want to beat Sea secondary ought to have a few routes up their sleeves that they have not shown on film before they play Sea. Their usual shake routes by quickies like Welker were well covered. The rub routes worked, but those are hard as he11 to stop when run well, then how often can you repeat rub routes?

Great game though, and electric. Wilson was surgical on the OT drive to win it.

I think he is being silly, you can refer to my previous listed post for the standings.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Thanks. In Germany they once called me the QB-Guru. I called out that Bulg Bulger (my creation ;)) would not fare worse than Warner (in StLouis), etc... Here, next to others, I called out the BS about Glennon being a good QB.
You have a more keen eye than I do often. And better than a lot of scouts, as we have seen!

I do recall the "greatest show on turf" and how Marc Bulger and Jamie Martin both played well in Warner's absence. Martin had some accuracy or read issues if I recall correctly, but the only guy I remember not doing well in the Rams aerial assault was Ryan Fitzpatrick, who despite his quick release, has a "noodle arm" as you like to say.

Re. Kirk Cousins

In 2012 he threw 59 mph at the combine (best). He can become a 3/3-QB (accuracy, arm strength, reading skills), thus being ahead of the butter armed 2/3-QBs.

Interesting way to break it down. Do you know what Weeden's speed was at the combine? I remember him doing quite well and having a very strong arm. But his inability to read NFL defenses, coupled with locking on receivers doomed him in the pit of despair that was Cleveland (recall they took Trent Richardson #3 that draft, expecting him to be the next Emmett Smith. Heck, Emmett would not have done well on that team!).

As to Mike Glennon, right now it's impossible to say how well he'll do in the NFL stuck in the void of Tampa. But no, he's not Kirk Cousins.

Interesting article in USA Today on the very poor success rate of rookie QBs thrust into bad situations, especially those who don't start the season. Meaning, Derek Carr's chances of long term success are higher than Blake Bortles or Terry Bridgewater, who will both start this week for the first time, for desperate teams.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Do you know what Weeden's speed was at the combine? I remember him doing quite well and having a very strong arm. But his inability to read NFL defenses

Brandon Weeden was tied with Cousins in 2012 for 1st at 59mph (3rd was Austin Davis at 58, then Foles at 57)... The best ever is still Toby Korrodi at 63 mph. If ex-team-mates & coaches can be trusted, he also had great leadership, great sport skills (not only throwing), great accuracy... One of the biggest misses (next to Kurt Warner, Clifford Madison, Rohan Davey) by scouts how care more about wonderlics, 40-y-dashes, other BS like vertical jumps (for QBs, WTF :eek:), and the size of college football programs.

Back to Weeden: Had a look at his CLE stats. Roughly the same as his back-ups. Thus not a total bust. Who knows; if he´d get 1.000 chances like other 1st rounders (for example the pampered little siz) he could finally learn to read defenses and cut off big mistakes. But what you can´t learn (or pump up with roids) is zipping the ball when needed (like this great example throw by Rivers vs SEA). Either you have it, or you don´t.
So I like the choice by DAL to sign him as a BA.

That brings us to Glennon. I come back to him since this "10.000-hour-game-film-NFL-expert" told us Glenon is a better QB than RG3 so far... Well, RG3 is still a (injured) starter (even on one leg), while Glennon couldn´t even beat a journeyman in camp. For the TB team of all that is. :eek:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Washington Redskins coach Jay Gruden admitted the obvious this week when he refused to rule out the possibility of Kirk Cousins keeping the team's starting quarterback job over Robert Griffin III when both players are healthy.

It all depends on how Cousins plays over the next five or six weeks, and NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport says the Redskins' eyes are "wide open" to Cousins taking the job.

"They do concede that Robert Griffin III is the better overall player and certainly more talented," Rapoport said on NFL Total Access Kickoff Thursday. "The thought is that Cousins might be a better fit for this system."

The biggest mistake a coach can do: Trying to fit players into a system instead of fitting the system to the players. No my original thought, but that of successful coaches, no matter the sport.
OTOH, it wouldn´t surprise me (if the rumours are true)... I mean the guy is the copy of the original Gruden. The Gruden who was the last NFL coach to not use the Shotgun for a single play during a season. Gruden original knows football, is a great detail coach, no doubt. But as many failures at the head coaching position, he got/gets lost over those details and misses the obvious. So why should the clone be any better.
Redskins? Doomed until after Gruden...

TRENDING THREADS