• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
the Chargers should quit for the rest of the season and regroup .Phil Rivers should join a pro dodge ball league, he can hit people really hard with the ball never wanting them to catch it

veganrob said:
Big game tomorrow. Should see some fireworks. Go Lions!

Me too, GO Detroit!
Niners vs Ravens should be great game too.

Why does it seem the 'Boys always play the weak teams on Thanksgiving? Historically, the Cowboys have always played a really weak Detroit team. Now that Detroit is good they are playing the 'Fins, another pretty weak team.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Sadly, the game I most want to see starts way too late for me, unless I find some sort of chemical assistance.;)

Todays' Thanksgiving Day predictions -

Packers at Lions
Fins at Cowboys
Niners at Ravens

The Fins are on a roll, plus I need them to pass us in the SFL stakes.:p

I've gone for the Ravens not because I'm convinced, but because they're my 'other' team. Hopeful prediction.

Packers - nuff said.

Amsterhammer said:
Sadly, the game I most want to see starts way too late for me, unless I find some sort of chemical assistance.;)

Todays' Thanksgiving Day predictions -

Packers at Lions
Fins at Cowboys
Niners at Ravens

The Fins are on a roll, plus I need them to pass us in the SFL stakes.:p

I've gone for the Ravens not because I'm convinced, but because they're my 'other' team. Hopeful prediction.

Packers - nuff said.

For a sec there I thought you meant the too-late game being Wash at Seattle... on Sunday. Then realized you meant the Raves, who I am pulling for also.

'Fins though, they may be on a roll and I know there are a lot of Dallas fan Romo haters out there, but still I think 6-4 Dallas beats the 3-7 'Fins. Bad for Wash in the SFL sweepstakes, but maybe we "suck-for-some QB" fans should be thinking more about the SFB (Barkley) sweepstakes. It would not be a bad thing if he fell to your or my team.

on3m@n@rmy said:
The Redskins a racist mascot? My Native American friends don't seem to mind.
The mascot, maybe. The name, yes. It's by far the most offensive Native American themed name. I agree that most Native Americans don't mind, or are even proud that their heritage and history is celebrated in most sports teams, if not with true accuracy. And I have no problem with names like Chiefs, Braves, Warriors, even the Cleveland Indians who were at least a bit inspired by a former Native American player (Louis Sockalexis). But Washington definitely needs to change the name from "Redskins" to something else. They could easily do so, honoring Native Americans, and keep the logo. But the name really should go. To quote Frank DeFord:

"It's important to understand that beloved patriot does not refer to skin color. It's not like, `Well, I'm a whiteskin and Shaquille O'Neal is a blackskin.' A `beloved patriot' was a scalp taken by (white) Americans as bounty. The red in `beloved patriot' is blood red, but the nation's capital's football team adamantly holds on to its name as we hear in the proud old team anthem "Hail to the Redskins."

There are all sorts of names they could choose. Here's a link. I think the easiest would be "Nationals" which is generic, fits with the baseball team, and the logo and theme could stay.

Unfortunately, Dan Snider has stated more than once he'll never change the name. But once he sells the team, I'm all but certain the new owner finally will.

Packers at Lions: I'm going to go out on a limb and pick the Lions to upend the Packers. After a few tough games, the Lions offense was on fire last week again. The Packers defense struggled against TB. This game is in Detroit, and I think the Lions will be psyched, while the stress to remain unbeaten is starting to wear on GB.

Miami at Dallas: Miami is on a little roll, and Dallas could definitely stumble. Romo could easily have a poor day against what may be an excellent Miami defense. I just think Dallas has more tools.

SF at Baltimore: This should be a close, charged game. I think the 49ers have a few more tools, but in Baltimore, in a must-win game for the Ravens, they win.

Will give the rest of my picks in a day or three.

As far as the SFL (SFB?) sweepstakes go, after last Saturday I'm starting to think that any team in need of a QB next season has to be very pleased with what they're seeing in the NCAA. As I said a few posts ago, Luck, Barkley, Jones, Griffin, Keenum and Weeden could all go in the first round.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Packers at Lions:

Miami at Dallas:

SF at Baltimore:

Your picks were the same as my picks were. The SF-Ravens game was a great game. Tough game, not sloppy like the other two games.

I only have one thing to say about the first two games, or first game, Nadamukong Suh needs a suspension of a few games. I've heard his explanation, but don't buy it for a second. Not with his history of being out of control. His explanation (Suh Verbatim comments) does not match what appeared to happen in the video replay (Suh stomps on Packer leading to his ejection). Driving the Packer player's head into the turf 3 times was clearly all on his own. Then Suh claims to have lost balance due to some pushing. But he was looking down at his victim while well balanced over his left leg and with the right leg recoiled and ready to stomp (image below).
Anyone see it the same of different than this?

nfl_u_suh-ejected_mb_576.jpg

All the talk going on now is that he will get a suspension. The only question seems to be how many games.

That was deplorable, and stupid. If only I could be a fly on the wall when he tries to sell his absurd excuse to the commissioner. I'm sure he'll be suspended 2-3 games. Idiot. Oh, and he cost his team any chance to win a pivotal game. Flip side - Packers looked superb. They go to NYG, then Oakland, @KC, Chicago, Detroit. 16-0 looks very possible.

Ravens looked great. 49ers shouldn't take the loss too much to heart and played well.

Dallas now quietly in 1st place, and on a roll.

Upcoming games:

Minn at Atlanta - Atl wins at home.
Carolina at Indy - Best chance for an Indy win?
Cleve at Cincy - Bengals bounce back.
Buffalo at NYJ - Bills done, Jets must win.
Houston at Jax - Only Matt Leinart could lose this.
TB at Tenn - Very tough pick. Went with home team.
Ari at Stl - Same.
Was at Seattle - Seattle defense good, pulls them to 5-6.
Chicago at Oak - No Jay Cutler. Oakland great pass rush team.
NE at Philly - Eagles still dangerous, but I'll take NE.
Denver at SD - Tebow vs. SD is in a free fall.
Pitt at KC - Steelers easy. Chiefs missing Cassel, others.
NYG at NO - Game of the week, but I like NO.

I'd agree with those picks except one. Well actually, the exception I really think you have correct... that would be Carolina at Indy. But what I mean is kind of what you wondered, is this Indy's best chance to win. I will go out on a limb and say Indy gets their first win. I will prolly be wrong, but I'll take Indy just cos I think it really is their best shot to win one. See if you agree based on Indy's remaining schedule below after this week:

13 Sun, Dec 4 @ New England
14 Sun, Dec 11 @ Baltimore
15 Sun, Dec 18 vs Tennessee
16 Thu, Dec 22 vs Houston (depending on Leinart)
17 Sun, Jan 1 @ Jacksonville

This Sunday probably is their best shot. They actually could beat any of those teams. The Patriots lay eggs from time to time. The Ravens often play to the level of their opponent. Tennessee is solid, but has had a few bad games. Houston has several injuries, and word is Schaub and Williams are not likely to be back until maybe the playoffs. This is the least likely win.

Speaking of Houston. Now that the rest of the team is getting healthy, if Schaub and Williams are back by the playoffs, look out! Houston already has the #1 defense in the league right now, without Williams who is their best player!

As an aside, Indy has now stated they expect to draft a QB with their 1st round pick, and Manning said he is aware of this and understands it. Now it's an issue of Manning's health, if they take Luck, if Luck will even play there for 1-3 years under Manning, or if they draft down 10 picks or so, knowing they can still get Barkley/Jones/Griffin/Keenum, etc. plus get something extra out of it as in another pick, or key player. And still consider this a big win for the team. Picture this: They trade away #1 (Luck) to Arizona for their pick (#9?), plus Larry Fitzgerald. With the #9 pick they take Landry Jones, who sits a year or two playing sparingly, while Manning throws to Fitzgerald. Manning retires, and Jones takes over throwing to Fitzgerald. It's a scary thought, but a distinct possibility.

Just an FYI – I swapped notes with Foxy, he’s doing okay but has a lot going on outside of here and is too busy to post for now.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
For my sins, I found a good stream, so I'm watching two poor teams struggle in the Seattle rain. The hoster is 'Jay's STereo Feed', and he's clearly a local who refers to his team as the Seachickens when he does voice-overs during the commercials.

Way to go, Grossman.:rolleyes:

Yep, we've been saying that about Norv I think since last season!

Have to admit Tebow's leadership and ability to simply pull out wins is impressive. 5-1 now as a starter. The ESPN guys were joking that the Broncos no longer drink Gatorade during the game, but holy water. And they no longer call traditional pass plays, but Tebow just states a Biblical verse in the huddle, eg. "Luke, 2:1:2, on three", and it works. :)

Seahawks desperately need a quality QB.

Texans lose Matt Leinart, maybe for the rest of the year, and still win. Down to T.J. Yates (who?) and Kellen Clemens (1 pass all last year). They blew their chance to pick up Kyle Orton, and now Matt Schaub can't get healthy fast enough. But right now it looks like the soonest he'll be back is the playoffs, maybe.

Oakland's acquisition of Carson Palmer looks smarter by the day. Three in a row, and firmly in first.

The only way the Chiefs can beat the Steelers tonight is if somehow they can pound them out, as they are a fairly big team.

Amsterhammer said:
For my sins, I found a good stream, so I'm watching two poor teams struggle in the Seattle rain. The hoster is 'Jay's STereo Feed', and he's clearly a local who refers to his team as the Seachickens when he does voice-overs during the commercials.

Way to go, Grossman.:rolleyes:

Your sins must not have been too bad as your Wash team won. Grossman did sound bad though. I say "sound" as I had to listen to it on the radio as I slogged my way over the mountain passes.

You mean you have a local Seachickens fan? I have used the Seachickens name too. And others. This week was the Seaturkeys. And on a grading scale (where C = cool, D = Damned, F = Fail or Flunkie) I have demoted the C-Hawks to the F-Hawks. But they are young and I'm optimistic for the next few years.

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:
I was at the game today.....it was horrible. The only positive is more losses = better draft and Norv gone

I'm sorry. And to think, with such a beautiful day you could have been working on your tan drinking Karl Strauss on the veranda at the Hotel Del...

You guys in SoCal must really be kickin yourself for passing up on those other options for entertainment (like sipping a brew while working on the tan) rather than watching the train derail itself.

Norv... never crossed my mind during the last offseason that he could be on the bubble by now. Won't surprise me if some coaching changes are made.

I think a lot of Charger fans would have rather changed the oil in the car today than watch the game. Be happy though, you could be fans of the "dream team".

Alas, it's not too late to see the light: ;)

r-BRONCOS-CHARGERS-large570.jpg

Seriously, though his QB rating was 95 today, and as good as he is at motivating and inspiring teammates and playing in the clutch, the Broncos defense deserves some big credit here too.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Your sins must not have been too bad as your Wash team won. Grossman did sound bad though. I say "sound" as I had to listen to it on the radio as I slogged my way over the mountain passes.

You mean you have a local Seachickens fan? I have used the Seachickens name too. And others. This week was the Seaturkeys. And on a grading scale (where C = cool, D = Damned, F = Fail or Flunkie) I have demoted the C-Hawks to the F-Hawks. But they are young and I'm optimistic for the next few years.

No, I meant that the guy hosting the stream was a Seattle local! I was as gobsmacked as anyone at the Skin's fourth quarter revival. Remember that I tipped them to lose. Four wins kills us for the SFL stakes. Maybe we can still pick up one of the other promising youngsters because we really need a decent QB!

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
San Diego certainly has lots of options for entertainment but even with the crappy team there are few things better then hanging with a few old buddies at the Murph.

Teabow was impressive. For as often as he runs he does not take many big hits. He was throwing better. His receivers dropped 2-3 easy passes so his completion percentage could have been higher. The odd thing was I did not see much interaction with his teammates. It seemed strange that he was often sitting by himself not talking to his teammates.

So who is the next Bolts head coach? My money is on Chuckie

TRENDING THREADS