National Football League

Page 205 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apparently I was wrong. Enemkpali just got picked up by the coach who drafted him, Buffalo Bills head coach Rex Ryan.

I don't understand this. I thought this guy would become a pariah in the league, but I was wrong.
 
Jan 24, 2012
1,169
0
0
He would've been perfect for the Philadelphia "16-0 Superbowl Sweep" Eagles. We need someone to knock Sanchez out so Tebow* can take over in the Superbowl when Bradford gets maliciously injured by Jets** in the first quarter.

*Is Barkley still on the roster? I'm assuming not or that Tebow will surpass him.
**I had to look up which teams are in the AFC and pick the likeliest to reach the Superbowl. I'm about 82% sure.
 
Re:

Berzin said:
Apparently I was wrong. Enemkpali just got picked up by the coach who drafted him, Buffalo Bills head coach Rex Ryan.

I don't understand this. I thought this guy would become a pariah in the league, but I was wrong.
Turns out from all the reports I have heard that he was rather provoked by Geno Smith, who is by all accounts a fairly un-inspiring "leader" at best and a massive douche at worst. No one is leaping to his defense, and this is for the "starting" QB of a team vs. a second-year special teams guy. Telling.
 
Jun 22, 2009
4,991
0
0
Good Lord, is it that time of year again?

Lots of new faces here. I suppose I'm approaching the coming season with the hope that we'll win more than four or five games. Hope, no confidence at all.
 
Re:

Amsterhammer said:
Good Lord, is it that time of year again?

Lots of new faces here. I suppose I'm approaching the coming season with the hope that we'll win more than four or five games. Hope, no confidence at all.
Redskins probably won't make the playoffs, but they have more talent than many of the teams around them at the 4 win spot. Good wr core, good running back, ok offensive line, its up to RG3 to step up and maybe he's been quietly good in the offseason.

Defense will have a good pass rush with Gallete added to Kerrigan.

Could be a surprise team.
 
After all the talk and hype, and taking nearly all the first-team snaps in camp, it turns out Sam Bradford won't even suit up for the first pre-season game for the Eagles. Kelly was coy about it, saying Sam wasn't hurting, and the Eagles are just ecstatic about how great he's played.

http://tinyurl.com/q86uafz

Speaking about playing great in training camp, after one perfect throw after another in camp, with zero picks in 187 passes, Marcus Mariota threw a pick, and fumbled away a ball returned for a TD, and was sacked, all within his first nine snaps. He did however recover well after that, showing poise. Even Zach Mettenberger, who apparently gets along well with Mariota, said the entire team gets a laugh about all the hype of players like Mariota playing great in training camp.

After all the talk that Brady would start and play with the first team in the New England game, and people wonder what was going on inside Belicheck's brain, instead it was Garrappolo who played most of the game, going 20-30, and 1 pick, mostly typical short Patriots style passes. He was however sacked 7 times, which has been a knock on him. On one hand he gets praise for continually looking down field, and on another he often doesn't feel the pocket the way a vet like Tom does (the real masters if you ask me are Romo and Roethlesberger at this, though Wilson may come close to this as well).

Speaking of Brady, the judge overseeing the ruling is putting a lot of pressure on both sides to come to a more amicable agreement about deflategate. Some of the inside talk is he's bored with the thing and finds it pathetic that should have been resolved within a few weeks after it happened, If not during or right after the game itself, and if they do not come to a better agreement, he's basically going to embarrass them as he best can for being petulant children. It's reported he kept asking the NFL attorneys where the direct evidence was that Tom told his guys to deflate the balls for the game, and the NFL couldn't answer. But he also felt Brady and the Pats were overly deceptive and combative. My gut still tells me this is going to get reduced to two games, and Tom won't have to admit he did any wrong, though the team or NFLPA may issue some sort of response of "poor judgement" or "poor choice of wording" on Tom's part, and the NFL saying they wished they had acted in a more expedient manner. Something like that.
 
Wow, that is a surprise. Especially considering I'd say his prime was maybe a year or two ago. He's still good, quite good, but that's just too much money.

Jamis Winston didn't play so well in his pro debut either, but it's early pre-season.
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,771
3
0
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Wow, that is a surprise. Especially considering I'd say his prime was maybe a year or two ago. He's still good, quite good, but that's just too much money.

Jamis Winston didn't play so well in his pro debut either, but it's early pre-season.
He is not worth that money but his actions as a redneck are worth some good quotes and fashion sense. :D

The Texans should have tried to lure him out of San Diego. Texans continue to play the fools when it comes to getting a QB. They never even tried to get Forehead when he was on his way out of Indy.
 
Re: Re:

Glenn_Wilson said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Wow, that is a surprise. Especially considering I'd say his prime was maybe a year or two ago. He's still good, quite good, but that's just too much money.

Jamis Winston didn't play so well in his pro debut either, but it's early pre-season.
He is not worth that money but his actions as a redneck are worth some good quotes and fashion sense. :D

The Texans should have tried to lure him out of San Diego. Texans continue to play the fools when it comes to getting a QB. They never even tried to get Forehead when he was on his way out of Indy.
I though Manning didn't want to go to an AFC South team. Hence why he didn't go 'home' to Tennessee..?
 
The hype continues. And he played, well average. Still couldn't read defenses quick enough, still locked in on receivers, and ran better than threw. But he still did get a string of completions at least. But the bottom line is, he won't make the team unless there is dramatic improvement. It all looks like a lot of hype from the mind of Chip Kelly.

Tebow: 6-12 for 69 yards (5.8 per pass), no TD or INT, sacked 3 times for a loss of 28 yards, two of those on third down.

Barkley: 12-20 for 192 yards (9.6 per pass), no TD, one INT (on a tipped ball), no sacks.

Barkley also looked more like he could step in and lead the offense with much less of an issue. Considering how far he fell going back to his junior year at USC, this was nice to see, despite the side show that is Tebow.
 
I wish that TT would have come into the NFL as a slot/H/TE/gadget guy because he would have had a solid impact. I don't blame him for wanting to stay at the QB position, but he could have had a better career running reverses, crossing patterns, and options (not like option style offense, options like catch it in the flat, and run or throw).

EDIT: Alpe, you know that you can't compare stats in preseason because they aren't playing with the same guys. TT's line was a whose who of used car salesman, and speaking of who?, who were those receivers?
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,771
3
0
Re: Re:

Billie said:
Glenn_Wilson said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Wow, that is a surprise. Especially considering I'd say his prime was maybe a year or two ago. He's still good, quite good, but that's just too much money.

Jamis Winston didn't play so well in his pro debut either, but it's early pre-season.
He is not worth that money but his actions as a redneck are worth some good quotes and fashion sense. :D

The Texans should have tried to lure him out of San Diego. Texans continue to play the fools when it comes to getting a QB. They never even tried to get Forehead when he was on his way out of Indy.
I though Manning didn't want to go to an AFC South team. Hence why he didn't go 'home' to Tennessee..?
Well I don't think or should have worded my post better,,,,, The Texans should have made an effort. Not that they would have gotten anywhere with it, but the team shows no interest in getting a real QB even when one is available.
 
Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
Alpe, you know that you can't compare stats in preseason because they aren't playing with the same guys. TT's line was a whose who of used car salesman, and speaking of who?, who were those receivers?
I know, I know. And I was the guy just posting about the nonsense of Mariota throwing 184 passes without a pick, in practice, like that means anything either. But anyone who even watched the highlights from this (yes, meaningless game) would see that Barkley looked much more comfortable and refined than Tim.

Glenn_Wilson said:
The Texans should have made an effort. Not that they would have gotten anywhere with it, but the team shows no interest in getting a real QB even when one is available.
While it may seem like a long time ago, I have to wonder if this has anything to do with how down some of the years were with David Carr. Even though Carr was sacked a mind-boggling 249 times during those years, they dumped him to get Matt Schaub (not much better, or worse, really) even after picking up Carr's option (a 7 year, $46m deal, of which he received about $35m - a lot for that time), which made it a costly few years. So I have to wonder if McNair and Rick Smith are still haunted by that. Recall that Gary Kubiak, in addition to dumping Carr for Schaub, was enamored with Sage Rosenfels. All adding to the bleak history for the team at the QB position. But I do think it's the disaster of Carr's time there and how costly it was, that shies them away. Even if it was, maybe mostly because it was, their own damned fault.

Here is a good, short article on the Texans mistakes with Carr. This is from five years ago when Carr was still in the league, but at the end of his career, and it's a very insightful read:

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/The-Texans-never-gave-David-Carr-a-chance-3196632.php
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,771
3
0
Re: Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
jmdirt said:
Alpe, you know that you can't compare stats in preseason because they aren't playing with the same guys. TT's line was a whose who of used car salesman, and speaking of who?, who were those receivers?
I know, I know. And I was the guy just posting about the nonsense of Mariota throwing 184 passes without a pick, in practice, like that means anything either. But anyone who even watched the highlights from this (yes, meaningless game) would see that Barkley looked much more comfortable and refined than Tim.

Glenn_Wilson said:
The Texans should have made an effort. Not that they would have gotten anywhere with it, but the team shows no interest in getting a real QB even when one is available.
While it may seem like a long time ago, I have to wonder if this has anything to do with how down some of the years were with David Carr. Even though Carr was sacked a mind-boggling 249 times during those years, they dumped him to get Matt Schaub (not much better, or worse, really) even after picking up Carr's option (a 7 year, $46m deal, of which he received about $35m - a lot for that time), which made it a costly few years. So I have to wonder if McNair and Rick Smith are still haunted by that. Recall that Gary Kubiak, in addition to dumping Carr for Schaub, was enamored with Sage Rosenfels. All adding to the bleak history for the team at the QB position. But I do think it's the disaster of Carr's time there and how costly it was, that shies them away. Even if it was, maybe mostly because it was, their own damned fault.

Here is a good, short article on the Texans mistakes with Carr. This is from five years ago when Carr was still in the league, but at the end of his career, and it's a very insightful read:

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/The-Texans-never-gave-David-Carr-a-chance-3196632.php
Yeah that is a good read.

The Texans had a chance to get little brother and that would have been a bargain but they were scared of the name by that time. Now they are all excited that Clowney made it to the field for the first time in forever. I think that pick will haunt them. If they did not have JJwatt then it would be a different story. Everyone in Houston seems to be OK with Mr. Injury Clowney.
 
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Jamis Winston didn't play so well in his pro debut either, but it's early pre-season.
I hear the knock on Jamis' first pre-season game is the same knock he had in college: and that be not looking off the primary receiver. A bad habit he will have to fix if he wants to be a starter in NFL.

After seeing Tebow's game I thought he made some really nice passes, some with touch over the defense in a spot only the WR could get. But then there were some terrible balls. Consistency needs improving.

I was impressed with the SD RBs of Melvin Gordon (the rookie 1st round pick from Wisconsin), Woodhead, and Oliver. Gordon is the deal and the other two 5'8" tall play bigger than height. The other noteworthy point from the SD game was 2nd-year TE Kyle Miller from Mount Union. Mount Who??? That's the D3 Mount Union, who are a perennial D3 powerhouse and play better than some D1 teams. Pretty cool a D3 guy is getting a shot. And he made some nice plays so his shot is for real.

Bridgewater looked really good for MIN.

Dallas might break through this year. Even without McFadden out with the hammy. Some ppl like to watch the ball, the WRs, the QBs and RBs. Sometimes I just watch linemen. Undrafted FA tackle La'el Collins, who would have been a first round pick in the 2015 draft had he not be summoned for questioning back home for a murder, is a feisty, scrappy type. But he did not show good balance. Often got back on his heels, but used hands well and was effective with some of that. (BTW - it was just questioning, and there are no charges against him).

Eli highest paid QB is a joke OFC, even if that's just agent posturing. More than ARod or Brady? :eek: Can't wait for the rants here.

Geno, Geno, Geno! Anonymous Jets players saying they are rallying around...... bdbing.... Fitzpatrick. That says something.

Percy, Percy, Percy! I really don't think anybody in Buffalo cares what happened 2 years ago in SEA, true or not. They just care about is he going to be a player, and is he going to be disruptive like he was in MIN and SEA. Get over it Percy.

NFC West prediction: SEA does not win division IF they don't get the O-Line figured out. RT Britt was a disaster vs Broncos Von Miller. He let Miller blow by almost untouched every rush and caused one Wilson fumble as a result. This week, OL coach Cable is experimenting with Britt at LG and putting backup LT Garry Gilliam at RT. Gilliam is a 2nd-year converted TE from Penn State who has filled in at times for normal LT Russell Okung when he has been out with injury. That could be a good fit if Gilliam can adjust from LT to RT. Britt is better suited to the G position, but ex-DL Sweezy has the RG spot locked. Okung is a lock at LT, and if he goes down Bailey has filled in there. The big question still is filling the Center spot vacated when SEA sent Max Unger and a #1 pick to NO for TE Jimmy Graham. I don't care how many star skill position players you have on offense, still have to block. Too much reliance on OL coach Tom Cable's majic for my liking. Arizona and the Rams should be smelling blood.
 
Re:

leftover pie said:
In today's news....

Eli wants to be the highest paid QB in the NFL

Foxxxy, could you give us your considered opinion on Eli's worth?

Thats just lolworthy.


In the salary cap era, star QBs who want to win Superbowls are going to made more modest demands.
An extra million here or there on the salary isn't going to mean much to them, but could make a huge difference in their pass protection.

Then they will make up more than that money through endorsements etc.


Paying Eli that amount, would doom his team to mediocrity for the length of the contract.
 
It's like prestige and CEO pay. Who has the fatter wallet means more to them. You guys should hear NY talk radio on this. Some are saying Eli deserves it, for winning two Superbowls for them (recall, he was the MVP in both games), and he's coming off maybe his best season, and melding with new OC McAdoo. That's the sales pitch.

Me, I'm not buying. I still think he's average, durable, and had had some excellent drives in key games. But also blown too many, and thrown way too many poor balls. He's also been overpaid for years, and another huge contract would bind the team's future even worse. But he has a lot of supporters in NY, and in the NY media (where most of the media is centered) who buy all he has to sell and will gladly tell you he's almost, almost as good as Brady, and has two Superbowls to Aaron Rodgers one, etc.

Agree on Seattle's line issues. As we've discussed before, much of the game is won and lost in the trenches. I'm not too sure on the Rams, as their OL is of concern. But their DL is a wrecking crew. Arizona has a some unknowns on their OL and DL, but are a deep team overall, reminds me of Seattle two years ago. This is also why I like Green Bay and Baltimore. But Dallas and NE too. Solid OL and front 7 on defense. People underrate the Patriots lines. They aren't flawless, but like all Belicheck teams work well together, and cover weaker links very well.

Strangely enough, the Jets and Bills and Dolphins look like they have some great lines, but few positions players. I mean, is Ryan Fitzpatrick going to win big games for the Jets? Matt Cassell for the Bills?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY