National Football League

Page 223 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Doesn't the NFL have really limited testing periods? Maybe I'm wrong but I had heard the NFL only tests during playoffs. Anyway, however limited it is they ought to expand testing to random year-round tests.

One other thing I wish the NFL had is player weight limits. 300 pounds max would be a nice weight limit to start with, then gradually reduce it to a reasonable number. 280 pounds back in the day used to be considered really big. If players knew they would not have to juice to get big it could help reduce drug use for some positions. Not fair to only regulate the big boys? So, put a weight limit on position or body type. Just an idea.
 
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-performance-enhancing-drug-testing-will-get-tougher-ped-testing-tougher-alex-marvez-062515

After years of negotiations, the NFL and NFL Players Association finally adopted HGH testing as part of an overhaul of the league’s drug programs. About 40 players league-wide are tested during each week of the regular season and five on each playoff team. The NFL also can test for reasonable cause.

Thats IC only testing for HGH.

Steroids etc are also only IC and at training camp (no testing in the off season)
 
Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Doesn't the NFL have really limited testing periods? Maybe I'm wrong but I had heard the NFL only tests during playoffs. Anyway, however limited it is they ought to expand testing to random year-round tests.

One other thing I wish the NFL had is player weight limits. 300 pounds max would be a nice weight limit to start with, then gradually reduce it to a reasonable number. 280 pounds back in the day used to be considered really big. If players knew they would not have to juice to get big it could help reduce drug use for some positions. Not fair to only regulate the big boys? So, put a weight limit on position or body type. Just an idea.
Its not just doping for size, they are doping to be huge and fast. There's nothing more dangerous that a 320 lb monster blocking a 210 lb guy 20 yards down field.
 
As to the testing window, early camp is indeed when there's the most testing, as that's when everyone is easy to access, and in theory anyway, most likely to be jacked up. But just like cycling, I'm sure the good athletes can beat it.

As to the 50%, that probably is low for the illegal stuff. But the drug of choice for many NFL players is, or was, Toradol, which is a potent nsaid, like a super ibuprofen. It was widely discussed at length a few years ago. But some players are suing the league for damaged kidneys and other issues saying they were given too much, but just like cyclists still doing EPO after riders died from it, I'm sure Toradol is still used, and legally.

I believe recreational drugs are only tested during that short time frame in training camp. This is why it was revealed during his trial that Aaron Hernandez is a total pot head and smoked a heap of weed, but was never caught. Whether the NFL should be testing for weed is another story all together. And of course, Hernanez is in prison for murder.
 
Really solid win for the Bengals, but what stood out to me is just how good Andy Dalton is playing. His throws were spot on, his arm looked better than ever with some nice, crisp throws, and he knew his way around the pocket very well. Right now I'd say he has to be considered in the elite class of NFL quarterbacks.

As to Johnny Manziel, well, at least he didn't make a fool of himself I guess. Cleveland has more problems than him though, but it really seems like a lack of stability the issue. Brian Billick wrote a good article on NFL.com about them.
Since the Browns were reconstituted in 1999, they have had three owners, eight head coaches and half a dozen general managers and personnel directors. More recently, they have fired Eric Mangini after two years, Pat Shurmur after two years, and Rob Chudzinski after just one year. By all means, go ahead and fire Mike Pettine after just two seasons. That seems to be working real well for you. What is the definition of insanity? Repeating the same act over and over again while expecting a different outcome.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000574211/article/browns-shouldnt-look-for-other-answers-stick-with-mike-pettine
 
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Really solid win for the Bengals, but what stood out to me is just how good Andy Dalton is playing. His throws were spot on, his arm looked better than ever with some nice, crisp throws, and he knew his way around the pocket very well. Right now I'd say he has to be considered in the elite class of NFL quarterbacks.

As to Johnny Manziel, well, at least he didn't make a fool of himself I guess. Cleveland has more problems than him though, but it really seems like a lack of stability the issue. Brian Billick wrote a good article on NFL.com about them.
Since the Browns were reconstituted in 1999, they have had three owners, eight head coaches and half a dozen general managers and personnel directors. More recently, they have fired Eric Mangini after two years, Pat Shurmur after two years, and Rob Chudzinski after just one year. By all means, go ahead and fire Mike Pettine after just two seasons. That seems to be working real well for you. What is the definition of insanity? Repeating the same act over and over again while expecting a different outcome.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000574211/article/browns-shouldnt-look-for-other-answers-stick-with-mike-pettine
IMO, Dalton was a solid QB out of college, but what has brought him to the level he is this year is that the Cinci 'powers', have been very patient in letting him naturally become an elite NFL QB. Not many teams would be at the same point with him. I think that he will still get better. Obviously they have done a nice job of putting a sold roster together across the board too.
 
Aug 21, 2015
380
0
0
Need to get better at updating my picks on here but overall for the year I am 73-47. Here are my picks for the week

Bengals vs. Browns
Bills vs. Dolphins
Vikings vs. Rams
Patriots vs. Washington
Saints vs. Titans
Jets vs. Jags
Steelers vs. Raiders
Packers at Panthers
Falcons at 49ers
Giants at Bucs
Broncos at Indianapolis
Eagles at Cowboys
Chargers vs. Bears
 
Jun 22, 2009
4,991
0
0
Of course, we all had the Bengals. ;)

GB @ CAR - What a poser! I'm going to take a chance on Cam.
WSH @ NE - No brainer, won't even watch.
TEN @ NO - Can Brees throw eight?
MIA @ BUF - I keep getting the Fins wrong.
STL @ MIN - Vikes to have the edge at home.
JAX @ NYJ - Home banker.
OAK @ PIT - Can't believe the Raiders have improved enough.
NYG @ TB - Not quite a banker, but surely.....
ATL @ SF - Away banker.
DEN @ IND - Another one.
PHI @ DAL - Tough, could go either way.
CHI @ SD - Bolts should be too good for these sad Bears.
 
I guess we will see how much of an improvement Gabbert is over Kaep for the 49ers. Either way I can't see a 49ers victory even though the Falcons can be hit and miss. Based on the last two weeks and the season overall I think the 49ers only chance of a another win might be over Detroit. They seem to be a team without a rudder and not much enthusiasm. Tomsula is currently high on the list of next coach to lose his job.
 
Being a Panthers fan really is no good for my heart! Somehow we pull it off again to go 8-0. Dominated for 80% of the game but credit to GB for making a serious game of it. I Thought Cam really stepped up tonight and was backed up again by this excellent Panthers defence.
 
Antonio Brown insane? No, that's SIC! :cool:

Insane is the hit by Rams DB Lamarcus Joyner on Teddy Bridgewater, literally knocking Teddy out. Unconscious. Teddy was in mid-slide and Rams DB Joyner targeted Teddy by dropping his forearm/ shoulder into Teddy's head. The DB was flagged on the play, but my guess is he will get a fine and hopefully a suspension. Check the replay here:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14083658/teddy-bridgewater-minnesota-vikings-diagnosed-concussion
Here is a link to Viks HC Zimmer's post-game response:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/vikings-zimmer-blasts-rams-williams-for-cheap-hit-on-bridgewater/ar-CC77oI

This incident goes way deeper than this one cheap shot play. Who is the Rams DC? Gregg Williams. The same Gregg of the Bountygate NO Saints. Since joining the Rams, Williams defense has had a habit of taking cheap shots. Enough is enough. IMO this should be Gregg's last game in the NFL. The League should ban Gregg Williams from the NFL for life.
 
Aug 21, 2015
380
0
0
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Being a Panthers fan really is no good for my heart! Somehow we pull it off again to go 8-0. Dominated for 80% of the game but credit to GB for making a serious game of it. I Thought Cam really stepped up tonight and was backed up again by this excellent Panthers defence.
Congrats on the win, you guys are in firm control of that #1 seed now with 2 games on Green Bay and the head to head tie breaker. I can relate on the heart attack front, the Ravens have played every game within one possession although they have come up on the losing end on 6 of those times.
 
All in all a pretty good Sunday of NFL games. I knew that Denver wouldn't go undefeated, but I didn't expect Indy to be the one to stop them. If Indy can get rolling... The Panthers are for real, but there are still so many doubters. Super Newton has the second lowest completion percent in the NFL, low QB rating, and is low in other stats...but he is leading an 8-0 team (I love it when the numbers don't tell the entire story!). Joyner's hit on Bridgewater should draw at least a one game suspension and $25K. Joyner is saying that he had already launched when Teddy started to slide, but the video is clear that he launched after the slide. He could have easy gone over him instead of lowering his arm/shoulder into him.
 
Aug 21, 2015
380
0
0
Re:

movingtarget said:
Can't believe 49ers actually won but the Falcons are overrated. Watched the Colts against Denver. Nice win and an entertaining game. I think only two teams unbeaten now or is it three ?
Cincinnati, New England, and Carolina are all left undefeated.
 
There's a real possibility that all three of those teams could finish the season undefeated, that the AFC championship could feature two unbeaten teams, and that the SB could feature two unbeaten teams. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's not at all unrealistic. Cincy has the toughest remaining schedule, facing AZ, Pittsburgh and Denver. The Patriots face Denver (and the Giants, haha). Carolina has a really soft remaining schedule, only fading Atlanta looks like much of a potential challenge, they will be solidly favored in all their remaining games.

The odds are that at least one of these teams will have a poor game and lose to someone they're favored to beat. It's also quite possible that one or more of these teams has peaked early, and will not play nearly as well late in the season as they are now. And even if that's not the case, you have to wonder if Carolina, likely to clinch not only their division but HFA early, might rest their starters, the way Indy did back in 2009, and take a loss or two on the (unproven!) premise that that improves their chances of winning in the postseason. If Cincy and the Pats keep winning, though, they at least will not be able to do that, and the Pats have shown before that they're willing to go for the undefeated season even if they have clinched HFA.
 
Aug 21, 2015
380
0
0
Re:

Merckx index said:
There's a real possibility that all three of those teams could finish the season undefeated, that the AFC championship could feature two unbeaten teams, and that the SB could feature two unbeaten teams. I wouldn't bet on it, but it's not at all unrealistic. Cincy has the toughest remaining schedule, facing AZ, Pittsburgh and Denver. The Patriots face Denver (and the Giants, haha). Carolina has a really soft remaining schedule, only fading Atlanta looks like much of a potential challenge, they will be solidly favored in all their remaining games.

The odds are that at least one of these teams will have a poor game and lose to someone they're favored to beat. It's also quite possible that one or more of these teams has peaked early, and will not play nearly as well late in the season as they are now. And even if that's not the case, you have to wonder if Carolina, likely to clinch not only their division but HFA early, might rest their starters, the way Indy did back in 2009, and take a loss or two on the (unproven!) premise that that improves their chances of winning in the postseason. If Cincy and the Pats keep winning, though, they at least will not be able to do that, and the Pats have shown before that they're willing to go for the undefeated season even if they have clinched HFA.
Bengals and Patriots play each other so there won't be two undefeated teams in the AFC Championship game but New England matches up against them pretty well. It would not surprise me at all if the Patriots end up going undefeated and win the AFC.
 
Re: Re:

52520Andrew said:
Bengals and Patriots play each other so there won't be two undefeated teams in the AFC Championship game
No they don't, not in the regular season. One of those teams could go undefeated and have to play the championship game on the road. I'd guess it would be Cincy, because if both teams are undefeated, all the tie-breakers are even until you get to points differential, which currently favors the Pats.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY