• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 231 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There are plenty of options, and the NFL has never been one to shy away from rule changes (one thing that I think makes the league great), so you never know. This will be the second year in a row a losing team will not only make the playoffs, but have a home game in the process.

Along those lines, in case anyone is curious, below is where we were one year ago today. This graphic shows what the top team's records were, and my projected finishes next to them. I was most wrong on Philadelphia. Here is a link to play this year, for those interested:

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture/predictor

Just to be clear, the graphic below is from one year ago, 2014. I'll post a 2015 version later.

Attachments

• NFL Playoff.jpg
    NFL Playoff.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 374
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I'll take the Buccs in tonight's utterly unappealing fixture. Going back to one of foxxy's 'theories', all eyes should be focused on whomever eventually draws the short straw in the awful NFCE, as the 7-9 or 8-8 winner is likely to go far. No Skins fan ever considered a division title as even the remotest possibility at the start of the season, so essentially anything from here on in is just bonus. A few crazy optimists are getting enthused about the possibility, but us older, wiser heads know better. They will take us to the edge on luck, flukes, and a few good plays, only to disappoint at the death by conjuring up another unique way of blowing a game. I expect nothing but the usual grief. It's how they roll.

For a team that had something to play for Tampa sure didn't show it. While Winston may have padded some numbers when the game was out of reach, I have to say I was a little underwhelmed by him. He couldn't seem to move the ball with any efficiency, or convert on key plays. Granted, the Rams are a tough defense, but TB looked pretty bad.

I know it's a Thursday night, but did anyone notice just how empty the stadium was? It looked to probably be maybe 2/3 full, with huge blocks of empty seats. Here's the ugly part. Every day that goes by, I increasingly believe that Oakland and San Diego will both move to LA next year. This leave the Rams stuck in the Edward Jones Dome for maybe several more years. The city is going to have almost no motivation to spend more money if the team has nowhere else to go. But it will make easy pickins if a city like San Antonio or Portland decides to build an NFL ready stadium.

The one thing I am hoping happens is that the new LA teams have (or choose) new names, especially the Raiders. I realize all these teams played in LA before, so many fans will welcome them back. But the Raiders especially started in Oakland, and that brand seems to belong in that city. I'm not sure what rights (if any) the city of Oakland (or SD or St.L for that matter) has to the name, if they can keep the brand the way the Cleveland Browns did, but it's a hope.

Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com has listed his top 2016 NFL free agents, and most of them (no surprise) are on Denver. The best, actually only, QB on his list? Sam Bradford.

Speaking of Sam. If you look back in history, some trades seem to work great for both teams. Sort of the Clinton Portis for Champ Baily trade. Having said all that, I think the Sam Bradford for Nick Foles trade turned out to be bad for both teams. Foles has clearly disappointed in St.L, and is now benched behind Case Keenum, who has played fairly well, if inconsistent. In Philly, Chip Kelly was hoping that Sam would slice up the field and be able to run his fast paced offense. While Bradford has played fairly well, and only had minor injuries, he's really not much better than he was during most of his (average) career in St. Louis. Now, one might think what Kelly was really trying to do was load up players to trade up and get Marcus Mariotta, but the Titan's wouldn't bite.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I tuned in for the start last night. I don't think I have ever seen anything as repulsively inappropriate on a field as that all-yellow. Seriously, yellow boots are a bridge too far. The all red was only marginally less offensive. I stayed till 21-3, and left in disgust.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Amsterhammer said:
I tuned in for the start last night. I don't think I have ever seen anything as repulsively inappropriate on a field as that all-yellow. Seriously, yellow boots are a bridge too far. The all red was only marginally less offensive. I stayed till 21-3, and left in disgust.

Who in the *** came up with this color rush crap? Worst *** I've ever seen

The final score made it seem much closer of a game than it was. And yes, the colors were pretty wild. I didn't hate them, but it looked more like something from Rollerball.

img25418210.jpg

rollerball_01.jpg

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

patricknd said:
Amsterhammer said:

Who in the **** came up with this color rush crap? Worst **** I've ever seen

Awful beyond awfulness. Having started off with a loss after picking the all red awfuls, I'll double down by again going for the visitors tonight. I won't be watching, though. There's a debate on.

NYJ @ DAL

Agree. NYJ@DAL

Hope Kellen Moore gets some playing time tonight.

KC@BAL - May actually be close, but KC will win.
HOU@IND - Hard call, both teams have many problems.
TEN@NE - Easy call.
BUF@WAS - Skins at home.
CHI@MIN - Viks need to win.
CAR@NYG - Easy, and Josh Norman quietly shuts down OBJ
ATL@JAX - Who cares?
GB@OAK - Raiders tough, but Packers finding themselves again at the right time.
CLE@SEA - Blowout. Manziel in front row of Cavs game the other night. Really?
CIN@SF - QB is only one position.
DEN@PIT - Steelers on a roll.
MIA@SD Last game ever for Chargers in San Diego?
AZ@PHI - Eagles are playing better, but Cards better in every respect.
DET@NO Brees carves up this defense.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
TB @ STL - Ugly color lost to uglier color.
NYJ @ DAL - I knew I could count on the Boys to collapse at the end. :p
CHI @ MIN - Should be home banker.
ATL @ JAX - I'll go Jags but a surprise wouldn't surprise.
HOU @ IND - Had it with Luckless Colts.
CAR @ NYG - Away banker.
TEN @ NE - Home banker.
BUF @ WSH - Lord help me, I'm gonna pick 'em.
KC @ BAL - Ravens have been shocking.
CLE @ SEA - Home banker.
GB @ OAK - Never get the Raiders right, won't pick 'em now.
DEN @ PIT - Home edge.
MIA @ SD - Toss up. I'll go Fins.
CIN @ SF - Can't pick these abject Niners.
ARI @ PHI - Away banker.
DET @ NO First to 50 wins, edge to Brees.

Norman didn't exactly come off looking civil, but it was mostly Beckam. He came off looking like a piece of shiit the way he targeted Norman's head like that. I'm really surprised he wasn't tossed from the game. Especially after all the talk about the NFL cracking down on violence and head shots. And most of the ire from NFL players and vets seems directed straight at him. Shannon Sharpe, Dieon Sanders and Ron Jawarski to name a few.

The bigger concern to the Panthers was how sloppy they got, and how many big plays they gave up in the 4th quarter, even after getting a pick off a bad Eli throw. I don't know if they were mentally coasting, the whole OBJ/Norman ruckus distracted them, or they were feeling the undefeated pressure or what, but you can't play like that in the NFL.

While the Patriots won again, Belicheck genius or not, I have to wonder how long they can keep getting hurt and fielding no-name players. Chung, Amendonla and Hightower all were hurt, with the latter two coming off recent injuries. Unknown how long they'll be out, but despite the Pats about to sew up HFA, I have to wonder if they can win big games come playoff time with a banged up roster?

Will give other thoughts later.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
A game clear on 7-7, our fate entirely in our own hands. Unbelievable! Normally speaking, I wouldn't give them a snowball's chance in hell of winning a playoff game, but I keep coming back to that bizarre theory of foxxy's about how far the lowest ranked playoff teams regularly go, across all US pro sports.

Norman was not innocent but Beckham with a complete embarrassment. Lost his head as Panthers kept him out the game until the final few minutes. Delighted that he had to sulk off with a loss.

For my Panthers in a way I wouldn't mind a loss in the final 2 games, I think the pressure of an unbeaten season could take its toll, perhaps there was lots of complacency too. Good to see SuperCam come up with a play at the end to win us the game.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Norman was not innocent but Beckham with a complete embarrassment. Lost his head as Panthers kept him out the game until the final few minutes. Delighted that he had to sulk off with a loss.

For my Panthers in a way I wouldn't mind a loss in the final 2 games, I think the pressure of an unbeaten season could take its toll, perhaps there was lots of complacency too. Good to see SuperCam come up with a play at the end to win us the game.
I guess the Panthers won't be giving SCam any time off. Unless they want to have a rash of notebook computer thefts going on in the Charlotte area.

Interesting point made by some media guys today and the Monday Night Football crew of Ray Lewis, Steve Young, & Dilfer about the Beckham-Norman tiff. That being the difference of team leadership between the Panthers and Giants. A number of Panther leaders got ahold of Norman on the sideline to calm him down. Nobody on the Giants sideline, player or coach, took the lead to tell Beckham you can't do that. That says something about each team. Panthers have leadership, Giants don't. I dont have much respect for the Giants.

Lot of other trash going on by certain players in the league, actions that just do not belong in the league. Some players need to grow up.

TRENDING THREADS