• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 296 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
on3m@n@rmy said:
I am not a big fan of the franchise tag. Rumors are floating that Redskins may use it on Cousins.

Rumor also is a Romo trade will likely happen in next 30 days.

Projected #1 overall pick Myles Garrett lobbies for Dallas' Jerry Jones to trade up to pick him. Not a bad wish for Myles. But that is like a little kid asking for an ice cream cone the size of Jupiter, considering the number of picks Dallas would have to give up to get him. Who knows? If Myles keeps stroking Jones ego, Jerry just might bite.

If he is the number one pick which is probable,the Browns will take him and if they don't then the 49ers would. Both have the need for that sort of player. If they don't both will be looking to draft a QB as their needs are across so many positions. Last year some of the highly rated QBs dropped down the list and there is always a lot of hype about them and also a lot criticism like "it's not a good year for QBs" type talk. I think last year's batch of QBs was probably better so will the 49ers go all in on a high QB draft pick ? I have doubts at least as their number one pick. But this type of behavior could also backfire on Garrett. He should probably tone it down and the Cowboys are too far down the list to realistically pick him up at the expense of other good picks they would have to give up. I think the Goff situation last year won't be forgotten any time soon. Be interested to see where Romo ends up. I would say probably Houston or Denver.

Re:

movingtarget said:
This is the same helmet made by Vicis that I posted about here last summer (Vicis Pro) and again a month or so ago. They have obviously made improvements in their marketing seen on their website to explain how the helmet can reduce forces of impact from ALL angles of impact. But they only demonstrate direct impact to the top of the helmet. And they have obviously made improvements in their design, which went back to the drawing board last fall after the universities of Washington and Oregon pulled the helmets from their planned college debut because of fit and comfort issues (that update I posted about a month ago). The newer model is the ZERO1. So it is encouraging to see they have made progress in the design. Also encouraging to see that the product (from the Vicis startup company) has not yet flamed out.

The opening demonstration video (4:26 duration) on the company's website has been revamped with support from former and current NFL stars (Roger Staubach, Tony Dorsett, and Doug Baldwin). Nice touch. But the demo video fails to demonstrate forces to the helmet from ALL angles. The video only demonstrates (shows) impact to the top of the helmet. From the explanation preceding the demo, it LEADS one to believe the same protection benefit is provided against impacts from ALL angles (e.g. helmet crown, temple/ear hole, and rear angles). The design idea is still a great one, but they really, really need to prove and show by demonstration that the helmet has greater protection benefit from ALL angles.

Why am I so critical and hung up on proving the helmet for ALL angles of impact? After viewing the company website video, some young kids and young adults will see the demonstration and possibly come away thinking "I can now strike with the top of the helmet". That is the WRONG impression to give! So I am critical of the video makers for that. Anyone who's been around football from youth hopefully knows and has been taught not to tackle by striking with the top of the helmet by dropping the head because why? It could break your neck. If lucky, you just have a strained or broken neck. If not so lucky, you could end up paralyzed, or worse yet dead.

Check out the company website and video yourself here: http://vicis.co/

The other reason why I am critical of the Vicis progress is that if significant additional benefit is not gained from sideways or rear hits, then while the helmet may be better, it would not be good enough because many concussions come from those different angles.

Right now, Vicis is still a startup company, and you pay startup prices for new technology. $1500 per helmet compared to a typical Schutt or Riddell for $500. So if I am a high school AD, the company better do a better job of showing me why I should spend 120 times $1500 ($180,000 total because a good sized high school may have around 120 players in the program from freshmen to seniors) instead of 1/3 for new helmets. And Vicis needs to get the price way down. Which is where the NFL and college programs with the money can help by getting the company's cash flow moving.

But there is hope in technology, right? Hold on. Maybe, maybe not. There are naysayers who think technology will not save the NFL. Read that argument here: http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2014/01/01/Why-High-Tech-Helmets-Won-t-Save-NFL
To me, that article is speculative. It is far too early to believe the NFL, and college, and youth football will vanish. But it does explain why the leagues and owners should be concerned now if player safety is not reason enough to be concerned.

Re: Re:

Thanks for the good post. In case anyone wants a fast forward and to just see the slick 4 minute video here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bMOMf3S_EA

I find it interesting that Dave Marver, the CEO, mentions in the video that the helmet is designed to absorb impact from all angles in a superior way. Co Founder Sam Browd also mentions this clearly in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hEbl1QhizA

So they are well aware this is a problem. But they don't really show any testing in this way, and I think that's because of what Omy@3m says, they haven't refined the helmet enough yet. It's an enormous challenge, and while I do believe in these guys, I think the passion and potential is there, it still looks to me like we're a couple years from seeing a refined enough helmet that it's adopted by every team in the NFL, major college teams, and smaller schools as well. Maybe a decade. And in order to do that, the cost is obviously going to have to drop. Even then, if the company gets a massive influx of revenue to continue, it's going to still need refining, and redevelopment. And even then, we're still going to see concussions, though I do believe we'll see less, for certain.

I still say what I did before, change is going to come four ways. Technology, like this. Medical evaluation and awareness, which the league deserves credit for. Also in rule changes, the way the game is officiated, which the league deserves credit for as well. And finally, in the way players are taught, from the early days they pick up a football. That's going to take time. All of this will.

I also say what I did before, Pop Warner football needs to be stopped. I would even go as far to say that no one under the age of 16 should be able to play organized tackle football in the country. Yes, kids will only get 2 years of football in high school before heading to college, so be it.

Good post likewise. And the first YouTube link is the video I was referring to.

Some might think 16 years of age is too old to start hitting. Note I said hitting, not learning. The game could still be played under the age of 16, but without the serious hitting. OFC, how the game would be played at the younger ages would have to be given serious thought and standardized/governed across the country (e.g. by the American or National Youth Football Organizations). My teacher wifey tells me the human brain does not stop developing until a bit after age 20. So, from that perspective restricting serious hitting until after age 16 makes sense.

Jeez. Found it.
movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
Pete Carroll should have kept his mouth full of gum !

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/1/19/14328858/seahawks-docked-draft-pick-richard-sherman-injury

It also explains Sherman's recent performances.
Pete did not need to say anything, so I don't understand why he did. The only possible explanation why he spoke of Sherman's injury is he did not think it was a big deal. The facts are that Sherman practiced all week and was able to play, so this could be why Pete thought it was no big deal to mention it. Players play in pain and with minor injury all the time. But because of the facts this revelation should not result in disciplinary action. But its no stretch to see why the report in the ninersnation would think differently.

An MCL injury probably stood out but like you said many players play with injuries. Look at the Packers this week. Sherman did seem to be struggling a bit in the Falcons game though. Could be a media beat up who knows ? i wonder if Sherman himself has made a comment ?
Sherm did not have to say anything publicly. And I don't think he did say anything public. But the League's decision is finally out. The NFL warned Seattle for violating a league rule for failing to disclose an injury to Sherman during the 2016 season. The NFL will not issue any additional punishment to Seattle, but the infraction will factor into any future violations. Common sense by the League office prevails! It's a miracle!

But ever wonder why it took so long for the League to make the decision? Well, if not a Hawk fan, probably not, right? I think had the League taken a draft pick away from Seattle or imposed some other unwarranted discipline it would have opened up a can of worms where the League to be fair would have to evaluate the injury reporting by all other teams. That would have take forever. And for what? This was as stupid a power move by the League as Brady's deflategate suspension was, and the League probably just wanted to rattle their sabers for all the verbal abuse Sherman has spewed about Roger in particular. On top of that, the rule intrudes into such a gray area. I mean, it happens all the time that players get a little nicked, yet don't miss a practice or play. That is where the League would have had their hands full if they had chosen differently.

However, this should be a lesson for Pete Carroll. Do NOT say anything in a presser about a player having played with injury. Report it in the first place. Not reporting may have been deliberate, and by not disclosing the injury could have been tactics to prevent Sherman from getting picked on in a game. But if Pete had not said Sherman played with injury nobody would have known differently.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Jeez. Found it.
movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
Pete Carroll should have kept his mouth full of gum !

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/1/19/14328858/seahawks-docked-draft-pick-richard-sherman-injury

It also explains Sherman's recent performances.
Pete did not need to say anything, so I don't understand why he did. The only possible explanation why he spoke of Sherman's injury is he did not think it was a big deal. The facts are that Sherman practiced all week and was able to play, so this could be why Pete thought it was no big deal to mention it. Players play in pain and with minor injury all the time. But because of the facts this revelation should not result in disciplinary action. But its no stretch to see why the report in the ninersnation would think differently.

An MCL injury probably stood out but like you said many players play with injuries. Look at the Packers this week. Sherman did seem to be struggling a bit in the Falcons game though. Could be a media beat up who knows ? i wonder if Sherman himself has made a comment ?
Sherm did not have to say anything publicly. And I don't think he did say anything public. But the League's decision is finally out. The NFL warned Seattle for violating a league rule for failing to disclose an injury to Sherman during the 2016 season. The NFL will not issue any additional punishment to Seattle, but the infraction will factor into any future violations. Common sense by the League office prevails! It's a miracle!

But ever wonder why it took so long for the League to make the decision? Well, if not a Hawk fan, probably not, right? I think had the League taken a draft pick away from Seattle or imposed some other unwarranted discipline it would have opened up a can of worms where the League to be fair would have to evaluate the injury reporting by all other teams. That would have take forever. And for what? This was as stupid a power move by the League as Brady's deflategate suspension was, and the League probably just wanted to rattle their sabers for all the verbal abuse Sherman has spewed about Roger in particular. On top of that, the rule intrudes into such a gray area. I mean, it happens all the time that players get a little nicked, yet don't miss a practice or play. That is where the League would have had their hands full if they had chosen differently.

However, this should be a lesson for Pete Carroll. Do NOT say anything in a presser about a player having played with injury. Report it in the first place. Not reporting may have been deliberate, and by not disclosing the injury could have been tactics to prevent Sherman from getting picked on in a game. But if Pete had not said Sherman played with injury nobody would have known differently.

Yeah Pete had no reason to do that and the NFL decision was a fair one.

Another player and team the League would have needed to evaluate was the situation with the Steelers Le’Veon Bell. The quote from HC Tomlin looks similar to Pete Carroll's:
Tomlin: [Bell] was doing a great job of managing it. It didn’t cause him to miss any practice time, let alone game time. It was something to manage.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...y-wasnt-significant-prior-to-sunday-flare-up/

Carroll: I don't even remember what game it was. It was somewhere in the middle -- I don't know. He was fine about it. He didn't miss anything.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...econd-half-mcl-injury-coach-pete-carroll-says

Carroll fessed up to messing up not reporting the injury. Maybe that swayed the decision to give only a warning.
_____

Where will Tyrod Taylor end up? Some think the Browns. Here's why: http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-...owns-hire-tyrod-taylors-qb-coach-from-buffalo

on3m@n@rmy said:
Another player and team the League would have needed to evaluate was the situation with the Steelers Le’Veon Bell. The quote from HC Tomlin looks similar to Pete Carroll's:
Tomlin: [Bell] was doing a great job of managing it. It didn’t cause him to miss any practice time, let alone game time. It was something to manage.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...y-wasnt-significant-prior-to-sunday-flare-up/

Carroll: I don't even remember what game it was. It was somewhere in the middle -- I don't know. He was fine about it. He didn't miss anything.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...econd-half-mcl-injury-coach-pete-carroll-says

Carroll fessed up to messing up not reporting the injury. Maybe that swayed the decision to give only a warning.
_____

Where will Tyrod Taylor end up? Some think the Browns. Here's why: http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-...owns-hire-tyrod-taylors-qb-coach-from-buffalo

I wonder if the 49ers would be interested in Taylor if they can't get Cousins. I think Shanahan would prefer a better pocket passer although he is much more accurate than Kaep even though they are both similar in their ability to run the ball. If Taylor leaves the Bills that doesn't leave them much at the QB position. This is going to be the problem for some of the teams that are looking to trade QBs or seem them becoming free agents. The Browns still have RGIII but if Kaep leaves the 49ers which is probable, I can't see them using a first round pick for Jimmy G or signing Romo, the Redskins will keep Cousins probably, Cutler probably won't be signed by the 49ers and most of the other free agents are really back ups. Bradford might have been a possibility but not with Bridgewater still out possibly long term. Hoyer and Foles are not much good, Keenum is worse. I have a feeling that in the next draft with not much quality floating around at the QB position with free agents, quite a few teams will be tempted to take a QB in the first round or the second round. Browns, 49ers would be the obvious ones and maybe even the Cardinals with Palmer in his twilight years. I heard that Chicago is expected to make a move for Jimmy G so it seems that the Patriots are confident that Brady will be around at least for another two years.

But I still think Jimmy G may not be worth a first round pick as he has only played two games and is still an unknown quantity, a lot more unknown than Ostweiler was when he was signed by Houston ! Be interesting to see whether the new Rams coach can develop Goff also. He has a good reputation for getting the best out of QBs and the Rams, 49ers rivalry could develop even more with two first time head coaches seeing a lot of each other and both with similar issues with their teams.

I think Romo is playing with fire going to any of the basket-case teams, life after football beckons and he should aim to be physically fit enough to enjoy it.

a year with a team like the browns could see him with a walking stick not long after retirement.

Re:

leftover pie said:
I think Romo is playing with fire going to any of the basket-case teams, life after football beckons and he should aim to be physically fit enough to enjoy it.

a year with a team like the browns could see him with a walking stick not long after retirement.

Most people seem to think he should retire or stay put but the Cowboys will try to trade him for sure and he won't want to stay on the sideline for much longer. Brady has been been injury free for the most part compared to Palmer, Ben and Romo. Of course a better offensive line helps. Rodgers has also done quite well with injuries.

movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

_____

I wonder if the 49ers would be interested in Taylor if they can't get Cousins. I think Shanahan would prefer a better pocket passer although he is much more accurate than Kaep even though they are both similar in their ability to run the ball. If Taylor leaves the Bills that doesn't leave them much at the QB position. This is going to be the problem for some of the teams that are looking to trade QBs or seem them becoming free agents. The Browns still have RGIII but if Kaep leaves the 49ers which is probable, I can't see them using a first round pick for Jimmy G or signing Romo, the Redskins will keep Cousins probably, Cutler probably won't be signed by the 49ers and most of the other free agents are really back ups. Bradford might have been a possibility but not with Bridgewater still out possibly long term. Hoyer and Foles are not much good, Keenum is worse. I have a feeling that in the next draft with not much quality floating around at the QB position with free agents, quite a few teams will be tempted to take a QB in the first round or the second round. Browns, 49ers would be the obvious ones and maybe even the Cardinals with Palmer in his twilight years. I heard that Chicago is expected to make a move for Jimmy G so it seems that the Patriots are confident that Brady will be around at least for another two years.

But I still think Jimmy G may not be worth a first round pick as he has only played two games and is still an unknown quantity, a lot more unknown than Ostweiler was when he was signed by Houston ! Be interesting to see whether the new Rams coach can develop Goff also. He has a good reputation for getting the best out of QBs and the Rams, 49ers rivalry could develop even more with two first time head coaches seeing a lot of each other and both with similar issues with their teams.
Mel Kiper, Jr., in his mock draft has the 49ers drafting Mitch Trubisky (UNC) with their 2nd OA pick. He thinks Shanahan would want to start fresh with a new QB, as he's demonstrated success with Cousins. Trubisky has really jumped lately in draft status and is now projected by many as the #1 QB prospect. I never saw him play at UNC as most of the attention last year seem to be on Watson & Kizer. The reports say Trubisky has great size, a canon for an arm and good accuracy. We'll have see how he looks at the Combine next month and what his evaluation will be.

Interestingly, Kiper has Watson going to the Bills with the 10th OA pick. If that's the case, IMO, Taylor's gone. I don't think either one of these guys would want to sit the bench, and I doubt Watson coming off a National Championship season is going to want to sit and "wait his time" behind Taylor. Taylor is also coming off of groin surgery.

Just some interesting preliminary stuff with Kiper, who historically is pretty accurate with his insight on draft predictions:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/2/15/14598642/mel-kiper-nfl-mock-draft-2017-mitch-trubisky-deshaun-watson-quarterbacks-49ers-pick

Nomad said:
movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

_____

Mel Kiper, Jr., in his mock draft has the 49ers drafting Mitch Trubisky (UNC) with their 2nd OA pick. He thinks Shanahan would want to start fresh with a new QB, as he's demonstrated success with Cousins. Trubisky has really jumped lately in draft status and is now projected by many as the #1 QB prospect. I never saw him play at UNC as most of the attention last year seem to be on Watson & Kizer. The reports say Trubisky has great size, a canon for an arm and good accuracy. We'll have see how he looks at the Combine next month and what his evaluation will be.

Interestingly, Kiper has Watson going to the Bills with the 10th OA pick. If that's the case, IMO, Taylor's gone. I don't think either one of these guys would want to sit the bench, and I doubt Watson coming off a National Championship season is going to want to sit and "wait his time" behind Taylor. Taylor is also coming off of groin surgery.

Just some interesting preliminary stuff with Kiper, who historically is pretty accurate with his insight on draft predictions:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/2/15/14598642/mel-kiper-nfl-mock-draft-2017-mitch-trubisky-deshaun-watson-quarterbacks-49ers-pick

Mahomes is getting some good reports but I agree maybe not in the first round as for Watson I would be surprised if he lasted till 10. I still think he will be higher up the list than Trubisky based on the way the media is talking about him. I think Watson will go early based on his stats and his big game performances. Some commentators already have him ahead of Jimmy G as far as talent goes. If the Browns take Garrett I think the 49ers will take one of the two QBs but if the Browns don't take Garrett the 49ers may take him. But if the number one in the draft is one of the QBs I think the Browns will be tempted to take the QB then it will be interesting to see what the 49ers do but the fact is that both teams have so many needs that they will have some hard decisions to make. I would be surprised if any team do what the Rams did last year especially for a QB.

Watson is vacillating all over the place...some have him a few picks higher than Kiper's while others have him way back in the 2nd round. The situation with Watson was when Clemson lost to lowly Pittsburgh earlier last season, and Watson played poorly in that game, his draft stock dropped considerably and scouts were concerned. Only when they beat Alabama in the championship game, and he played very well, did his draft status soar back up. Personally, I don’t see anything that great in him right now - another great athlete who's an excellent dual-threat QB...like we haven't seen that blueprint before that sometimes doesn't pan out to expectations, or takes quite a while to develop in the pro system. All in all, it's not a great draft class for QBs this year and that's why we're seeing a guy like Trubisky move up pretty high on draft board. I want to see what they do in the Combine with some of the throwing accuracy drills, footwork, arm release, etc.

Well, the Bills do have Cardale Jones, who may be a project, but he has size and potential. I just don't think he's going to be ready to start, or better than Taylor next year. Considering what they have, or could get stuck with, if I were Buffalo I'd pick up Taylor's contract for next season, and roll the dice.

I agree that Shanahan will want to start with a clean slate, and likely dump Kaep, and probably Gabbert, who seems like a career backup at this point.

I'll say what I did before, I would not trade to get Garafollo, no way. He did play well, but for the best team and coach in the NFL. No one in their right mind sees him doing that in Cleveland or SF.

Agree on Hoyer, Foles and Keenum. These guys are in the same fold as Gabbert.

I still think the Bears best shot is Barkley. He's had huge talent going back to high school, and an all-American kid, but didn't finally play well in the NFL until last season, though he was sketchy at times. We'll see though.

Watson looks like the next Cardale Jones to me. Had he not won a national championship over Alabama, he'd go in the third round and sit a year or two. He needs work. Yes, he could be the next Roethlesberger or Newton, or the next Vince Young.

There are a lot of indications the Browns will take Myles Garrett with the top pick, as he is the best athlete in the draft. But how often is a DE/LB pass rush guy taken first in the draft overall? How well did Mario Williams pan out for example? He had a solid career, but worthy of the top overall pick? I wouldn't compare Jadeveon Clowney, as injuries slowed his start into the NFL. The Browns could take Trubisky as he has a quick release and seems accurate, which may remind Hue Jackson of Andy Dalton.

Combine starts next week, and in the following weeks after that Pro Days. We'll know more then.

Nomad said:
Watson is vacillating all over the place...some have him a few picks higher than Kiper's while others have him way back in the 2nd round. The situation with Watson was when Clemson lost to lowly Pittsburgh earlier last season, and Watson played poorly in that game, his draft stock dropped considerably and scouts were concerned. Only when they beat Alabama in the championship game, and he played very well, did his draft status soar back up. Personally, I don’t see anything that great in him right now - another great athlete who's an excellent dual-threat QB...like we haven't seen that blueprint before that sometimes doesn't pan out to expectations, or takes quite a while to develop in the pro system. All in all, it's not a great draft class for QBs this year and that's why we're seeing a guy like Trubisky move up pretty high on draft board. I want to see what they do in the Combine with some of the throwing accuracy drills, footwork, arm release, etc.

You might be right. Some of the QBs in last years draft took a tumble down the list. To be honest I don't watch any college football apart from a few highlights. The number one pick might a lot more open than last year when Goff was getting so much hype.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Well, the Bills do have Cardale Jones, who may be a project, but he has size and potential. I just don't think he's going to be ready to start, or better than Taylor next year. Considering what they have, or could get stuck with, if I were Buffalo I'd pick up Taylor's contract for next season, and roll the dice.

I agree that Shanahan will want to start with a clean slate, and likely dump Kaep, and probably Gabbert, who seems like a career backup at this point.

I'll say what I did before, I would not trade to get Garafollo, no way. He did play well, but for the best team and coach in the NFL. No one in their right mind sees him doing that in Cleveland or SF.

Agree on Hoyer, Foles and Keenum. These guys are in the same fold as Gabbert.

I still think the Bears best shot is Barkley. He's had huge talent going back to high school, and an all-American kid, but didn't finally play well in the NFL until last season, though he was sketchy at times. We'll see though.

Watson looks like the next Cardale Jones to me. Had he not won a national championship over Alabama, he'd go in the third round and sit a year or two. He needs work. Yes, he could be the next Roethlesberger or Newton, or the next Vince Young.

There are a lot of indications the Browns will take Myles Garrett with the top pick, as he is the best athlete in the draft. But how often is a DE/LB pass rush guy taken first in the draft overall? How well did Mario Williams pan out for example? He had a solid career, but worthy of the top overall pick? I wouldn't compare Jadeveon Clowney, as injuries slowed his start into the NFL. The Browns could take Trubisky as he has a quick release and seems accurate, which may remind Hue Jackson of Andy Dalton.

Combine starts next week, and in the following weeks after that Pro Days. We'll know more then.

Maybe the Patriots also see Jimmy G having less potential than their other QB who's name escapes me, that's why they are happy to trade him but of course the Bills don't have a Brady or anything like him. I see Taylor to be in a similar position to Cousins. The team don't want to franchise him but they will offer him a long term contract for less money. Many people seem to be split on Watson just as they are on Jimmy G and the naysayers of course think that if Bill B wants to trade him then that's good enough for them !

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2694947-nick-mangold-released-by-new-york-jets
With 1 year and 9 million left on his contract, in a cap space move, the Jets release 11 year veteran and 7 Time pro bowler Nick Mangold. The 33-year old will probably land somewhere as he still has ball in him.

Several tackles will likely be available in free agency. The Jets Clady, the Jags Beachum, some kid from Miami who I think they will resign or trade, the Broncos Okung, maybe the Jets Giacomini, & maybe the Vikes Matt Kalil. Because of age or injury history, Most yeams won't likely touch them for a starting role. Teams would be more likely to bring one in for depth or insurance policy, like Seattle did last year with J'Marcus Webb, who was cut by mid-season.

The NFL combine starts Tuesday. Anyone interested?

on3m@n@rmy said:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2694947-nick-mangold-released-by-new-york-jets
With 1 year and 9 million left on his contract, in a cap space move, the Jets release 11 year veteran and 7 Time pro bowler Nick Mangold. The 33-year old will probably land somewhere as he still has ball in him.

Several tackles will likely be available in free agency. The Jets Clady, the Jags Beachum, some kid from Miami who I think they will resign or trade, the Broncos Okung, maybe the Jets Giacomini, & maybe the Vikes Matt Kalil. Because of age or injury history, Most yeams won't likely touch them for a starting role. Teams would be more likely to bring one in for depth or insurance policy, like Seattle did last year with J'Marcus Webb, who was cut by mid-season.

Can't say I get very interested in the combine. As for the Jets I think there will be a QB on the way to them.

movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

Can't say I get very interested in the combine. As for the Jets I think there will be a QB on the way to them.
Are you thinking the Jets try to pick up a free agent QB (e.g. maybe Romo, or Cousins if Wash is nuts enough to let him escape), or draft one?

Jaguars acquire OT Branden Albert (that kid whose name I could not recall above) from Dolphins for conditional 2018 late-round pick.

2017 NFL Draft QB Prospects
Below is a list of QBs I gleaned off some scouting reports with the round in the draft some think they may be drafted in (e.g. Watson: some think he could go in round 1, others in the 4th). IMO, there are only two QBs who should go in the first round of the draft (Trubisky and Kiser). Some scouts rate Trubisky ahead of Kiser, some rate Kiser higher. But most agree, as do I, that none of the QBs in this draft are top-10 or even top-15 overall prospects. That is partly because this draft is loaded with quality defensive players. Maybe it is partly because of results of rookies like Goff last year scaring teams off this year. But film never lies. And that is mainly why there are not as many higher rated QBs as in the past, and why they are rated lower this year. After watching film of Trubisky and Kiser, and having watched Watson in the NCAA Championship game against Bama, they all have similar strengths (arm strength, can make all the throws, decision making, accuracy, footwork). But guess what, they also have similar weaknesses:
-Inconsistent decision-making
-Needs more consistency working through progressions
-Needs more consistent accuracy
-Needs to improve footwork (throws some off the back foot)
Hey. Didn’t I just say those were strengths. Well, they do show those traits, but not consistently.

I think in Trubisky’s case, he was hindered by having one great WR (forget the name) that he used in clutch situations as his go-to guy. It is as though Trubisky played with blinders on throwing to his go-to guy instead of the open guy.

In Kiser’s case, he will be hindered entering the NFL by his experience at ND where he was the featured RB. ND ran a lot of read options and designed QB runs, so he’s going to have a big adjustment to the NFL. Remember RGIII?

Now, Watson played well vs Alabama in the National Championship game. He has a decent arm & athleticism. But in the regular season he made a ton of bad decisions etc. Hence, some NFL execs think of him as no more than a 4th rounder.

1. Mitch Trubisky (North Carolina). Height: 6-3. Weight: 220. Projected Round: 1.
2. DeShone Kizer (Notre Dame). Height: 6-4. Weight: 230. Projected Round: 1-2.
3. Pat Mahomes (Texas Tech). Projected Round: 1-3.
4. Deshaun Watson (Clemson). Projected Round: 1-4.
5. Davis Webb (Cal). Projected Round: 2-4.
6. Brad Kaaya (Miami). Projected Round: 4-6.
7. Chad Kelly (son of ex-Bills QB Jim Kelly, Ole Miss). Saw him play 2 seasons ago and he looked very promising. But a torn ACL ended Kelly's 2016 season early. That sucks. Due to the timing of the injury he probably will not be able to work out much for teams before the draft. Projected Round: 4-6.

So any team intending to get better at QB in the draft, or free agency, does not have much to pick from. Unless there is some diamond in the rough like Dak Prescott.

on3m@n@rmy said:

I've usually watched bits & pieces of the combine over the years. The QB drills are always interesting to watch, but I realize they're not throwing with mean & nasty defensive players in their face. What looks nice & impressive with their throws doesn't always translate into success when the preseason starts and players are trying to take their head off.

What blows me away at the combine is some of the 40 yd times being run with big players. Seeing "Megatron" type receivers (e.g., 6-3, 225 lb guys) running 4.4's is unbelievable. Thirty years ago the average TE was about that size and might on a good day run 4.6's. Now TEs go 6-6, 250, and can easily run 4.6's with some getting into the 4.5 range...simply amazing.

Also, some scouts are saying that RB Leonard Fournette of LSU (potentially the first RB to be chosen) could challenge Chris Johnson's 40 yd record time of 4.24. Some reports say that Fournette has gone 4.35 on a hand-held timer. This coming from a 6-1, 235 lb powerhouse (imagine the impact trying to tackle him head on when he's at full-speed. Lol).

Even some of the big 300 lb defensive lineman are going under 5.0 these days. No wonder the collision forces have gone up exponentially...speed x mass = destruction.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Jaguars acquire OT Branden Albert (that kid whose name I could not recall above) from Dolphins for conditional 2018 late-round pick.

Below is a list of QBs I gleaned off some scouting reports with the round in the draft some think they may be drafted in (e.g. Watson: some think he could go in round 1, others in the 4th). IMO, there are only two QBs who should go in the first round of the draft (Trubisky and Kiser). Some scouts rate Trubisky ahead of Kiser, some rate Kiser higher. But most agree, as do I, that none of the QBs in this draft are top-10 or even top-15 overall prospects. That is partly because this draft is loaded with quality defensive players. Maybe it is partly because of results of rookies like Goff last year scaring teams off this year. But film never lies. And that is mainly why there are not as many higher rated QBs as in the past, and why they are rated lower this year. After watching film of Trubisky and Kiser, and having watched Watson in the NCAA Championship game against Bama, they all have similar strengths (arm strength, can make all the throws, decision making, accuracy, footwork). But guess what, they also have similar weaknesses:
Hey. Didn’t I just say those were strengths. Well, they do show those traits, but not consistently.

I think in Trubisky’s case, he was hindered by having one great WR (forget the name) that he used in clutch situations as his go-to guy. It is as though Trubisky played with blinders on throwing to his go-to guy instead of the open guy.

In Kiser’s case, he will be hindered entering the NFL by his experience at ND where he was the featured RB. ND ran a lot of read options and designed QB runs, so he’s going to have a big adjustment to the NFL. Remember RGIII?

Now, Watson played well vs Alabama in the National Championship game. He has a decent arm & athleticism. But in the regular season he made a ton of bad decisions etc. Hence, some NFL execs think of him as no more than a 4th rounder.

1. Mitch Trubisky (North Carolina). Height: 6-3. Weight: 220. Projected Round: 1.
7. Chad Kelly (son of ex-Bills QB Jim Kelly, Ole Miss). Saw him play 2 seasons ago and he looked very promising. But a torn ACL ended Kelly's 2016 season early. That sucks. Due to the timing of the injury he probably will not be able to work out much for teams before the draft. Projected Round: 4-6.

So any team intending to get better at QB in the draft, or free agency, does not have much to pick from. Unless there is some diamond in the rough like Dak Prescott.
No kidding about Prescott - remember the 7 QBs drafted ahead of him last year:

1) Goff
2)Wentz
3)Lynch
4)Hackenburg
5)Brissett
6)Kessler
7)Cook

Only one, Wentz, was worth anything for the first year out of that group. Goff looks like a project for development and Lynch is on the ropes at Denver. The others may end up being journeymen backups. Granted, Prescott came into arguably the best O-line in the NFL and the surprise performance of Elliott help tremendously, but he still exceeded expectations and showed impressive maturity for a rookie QB (I wonder how many GMs are thinking how in the heck did I miss out with this guy. Lol). With Prescott as the bright future for Dallas, I think it's hasta la vista for Romo (retirement?). It's also worth mentioning that Siemian, only a 7th rd pick in 2015, performed quite well given that the Broncos lost 4 out of 5 starting offensive lineman from their SB year, and C.J. Anderson missed the 2nd half of the season with a knee injury. I think Siemian will beat out Lynch for the starting job...once again.

And I wonder who's going to be behind center on the season opener for Frisco? Shanahan inherited such a mess over there when he took the job that there's not much to work with. The once proud 49ers that were the envy of so many teams have become the laughing stock of the league...right up there with the Brownies. Good luck John & Kyle with that mess (better keep an open line with your dad Kyle, Lol).

on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

Are you thinking the Jets try to pick up a free agent QB (e.g. maybe Romo, or Cousins if Wash is nuts enough to let him escape), or draft one?

I think they might pick up a free agent and may even draft one as well, like the 49ers it's a position that always seems to be a problem. I thought Romo might end up in Houston but I now think their is more chance he ends up at Denver and Houston persevere with Ostweiler for the moment. If Kaep lands anywhere if the 49ers are not interested I think he has some chance of going to the Jets. Chicago is supposedly chasing Jimmy G so it sounds like Cutler will be on the move. If Cousins does not get the deal he is after at the Redskins I think the 49ers will be the obvious team to chase him with the Shanahan connection. Tyrod Taylor is another one that won't get paid what he wants so his days at the Bills seem numbered. So there will be a few decent QBs as free agents but the majority it seems will be back ups and there doesn't seem to be a lot of enthusiasm about the draft QBs either except for one or two. Doesn't look quite as good as the previous draft. There is some talk of Cutler at the 49ers possibly if Cousins stays as most people expect him to. I don't really think that Washington have a choice but to keep him. Chicago and Cutler is in a similar situation to the 49ers with Kaep, both players have talent but they don't produce good performances often enough. Kaep also got rid of his agent which probably means that he isn't getting the interest he thinks he deserves and the 49ers will want to restructure his contract to keep him even for a short term deal which Kaep won't want. I would be surprised if he remains at the 49ers, now is the obvious time for the 49ers to look elsewhere with all new coaches, a new GM and roster that will probably be taken apart.

Nomad said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

No kidding about Prescott - remember the 7 QBs drafted ahead of him last year:

1) Goff
2)Wentz
3)Lynch
4)Hackenburg
5)Brissett
6)Kessler
7)Cook

Only one, Wentz, was worth anything for the first year out of that group. Goff looks like a project for development and Lynch is on the ropes at Denver. The others may end up being journeymen backups. Granted, Prescott came into arguably the best O-line in the NFL and the surprise performance of Elliott help tremendously, but he still exceeded expectations and showed impressive maturity for a rookie QB (I wonder how many GMs are thinking how in the heck did I miss out with this guy. Lol). With Prescott as the bright future for Dallas, I think it's hasta la vista for Romo (retirement?). It's also worth mentioning that Siemian, only a 7th rd pick in 2015, performed quite well given that the Broncos lost 4 out of 5 starting offensive lineman from their SB year, and C.J. Anderson missed the 2nd half of the season with a knee injury. I think Siemian will beat out Lynch for the starting job...once again.

And I wonder who's going to be behind center on the season opener for Frisco? Shanahan inherited such a mess over there when he took the job that there's not much to work with. The once proud 49ers that were the envy of so many teams have become the laughing stock of the league...right up there with the Brownies. Good luck John & Kyle with that mess (better keep an open line with your dad Kyle, Lol).

Wentz looks good and looked comfortable early on unlike Goff who just looked out of his depth but it's much too early to write him off. Prescott had the advantage of a better team than the others of course but it seems he was underrated by the scouts anyway. No one much had a high opinion of Brady either before the draft and the 49ers famously took Smith over Rodgers !

TRENDING THREADS