• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 363 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As a Chiefs fan, I'm licking my chops. When they moved up and drafted him, I YouTubed my self and saw something that was special. The Gruden QB camp was an eye-opener (see the vid on YouTube). Mahomes was the best QB of his class. The week 17 game last year was a confirmation.

Pat Mahomes spent one year learning from Andy R. and Alex, a seasoned veteran, not a bum, and he learned a lot. Now it's showtime.

There will be bumps, but he's the real thing. Defense sucks, at some point it will catch up. My Superbowl dream may wait...but I feel it's coming.

Yep, easy win for NE even though Indy pulled within 7 points in 2nd half.

As for wanting to win as a team, players first have to want to be great on an individual level. So, how many players in the professional NFL truely want to be great? According to former NFL tight end Tony Gonzalez, you be shocked at how many players don't care about being great & are content just collecting a paycheck. This is prolly a bit exaggerated, but how about only 3% of players caring? The point is, per TG, many don't care. Hear for yourself on Colin Cowherd, hosting Deangelo Hall, starting at the 4:10 mark of the video, discussing what made Hall upset with players:
https://youtu.be/Vm4avifpjS4
[Lots of other intetesting discussion in that link]
Ironic that NFL players may not be as professional as we might believe.

on3m@n@rmy said:
Yep, easy win for NE even though Indy pulled within 7 points in 2nd half.

As for wanting to win as a team, players first have to want to be great on an individual level. So, how many players in the professional NFL truely want to be great? According to former NFL tight end Tony Gonzalez, you be shocked at how many players don't care about being great & are content just collecting a paycheck. This is prolly a bit exaggerated, but how about only 3% of players caring? The point is, per TG, many don't care. Hear for yourself on Colin Cowherd, hosting Deangelo Hall, starting at the 4:10 mark of the video, discussing what made Hall upset with players:
https://youtu.be/Vm4avifpjS4
[Lots of other intetesting discussion in that link]
Ironic that NFL players may not be as professional as we might believe.
Thanks for the link...lots of good stuff in that one! I've frequently said that half of the players are doing everything they can to win, and the other half are playing to make money. The thing is, the guys playing to win are the ones who end up making the most money. Maybe I've way over estimated the number of guys playing to win. I think that the genetic freaks can make a great living on talent alone. I wonder if the increase in injuries is due to guys not doing what it takes in the off season?

"You can't get money chasing girls, but you can get girls chasing money." :)

I'll go hang out in NOLA with Drew if he calls! :)

Not sure I'll be able to post again by Sunday, so here goes:

TEN@BUF
ATL@PIT - Home win.
DEN@NYJ - Home win too.
JAX@KC - Should be fun to watch, all offense against all defense!
GB@DET
BAL@CLE - Have a feeling Browns will lose another very close one.
NYG@CAR
MIA@CIN
OAK@SD - Chargers slowly improving.
ARI@SF
MIN@PHI - Both good teams need a win, went with home.
LAR@SEA
DAL@HOU

WAS@NO - Record breaking night for Brees.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Not sure I'll be able to post again by Sunday, so here goes:

TEN@BUF
ATL@PIT - Home win.
DEN@NYJ - Home win too.
JAX@KC - Should be fun to watch, all offense against all defense!
GB@DET
BAL@CLE - Have a feeling Browns will lose another very close one.
NYG@CAR
MIA@CIN
OAK@SD - Chargers slowly improving.
ARI@SF
MIN@PHI - Both good teams need a win, went with home.
LAR@SEA
DAL@HOU

WAS@NO - Record breaking night for Brees.
So as usual, hard to argue...I actually agree with you 100%, but since SEA is my team I have to take them!

Yes indeed!...Browns win!...taking down the Ravens nonetheless. Victory speech in the Browns's locker room:

https://youtu.be/jZTglZXHc5M

And KC dismantles the Jags...5-0! The Gunslinger has really lit it up - Mahomes' stats thru five games:

1,513 yds passing, 63.6 completion %, 14 TDs/2 Int and 66 yds rushing & 2 TDs.

What a dimension he adds to that offense. Defenses have got to respect that cannon of his and if any pass rush is established, he's too athletic escaping from the pocket and making things happen downfield. A real playmaker! I think if KC can stay relatively injury free and improve on defense - watch out, this could be the team of the conference. Big showdown coming up with NE on SNF.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
I think at this point KC is the top team in the league. However, next Sunday they play at a well rested New England, which should be interesting. Not trying to be a killjoy, but it's also only October.

Awesome to see the Browns actually take out the Ravens.
Definitely, the Rams D seems to have gone a bit awol in the past two weeks (although against the Vikings you'd expect, but not against seattle), while KC's has stood up nicely.
Really interested to see how they go against NE too.

Brees having a good night out!

Barkley is an absolute stud, but this workload will lead to a short career. Eli looks horrible. Tanney? I'm with their decision to get Barkley, but why didn't they also get a QB either in the draft or off of the trade board?

How about Kaep? I say that t-n-c, but at the same time would love to see him go into NY, of all places, and go big. Realistically though, his time away has been too long so it would take him some time on a practice squad to get ready.

Re:

jmdirt said:
Barkley is an absolute stud, but this workload will lead to a short career. Eli looks horrible. Tanney? I'm with their decision to get Barkley, but why didn't they also get a QB either in the draft or off of the trade board?

How about Kaep? I say that t-n-c, but at the same time would love to see him go into NY, of all places, and go big. Realistically though, his time away has been too long so it would take him some time on a practice squad to get ready.

Eli looked horrible last year. They needed to draft a QB at least. Hindsight is easy but Kaep will regret not taking the Denver offer for less money in 2016. With all of the trouble they have had with QBs he might still be there or he also may have been another of their casualties. It will take a brave GM to sign him. He probably would have had the job at Miami without the Castro comments and the Ravens option was ruined by his girlfriend and a fan backlash. Almost been out now for one and a half seasons.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Eli looked horrible last year. They needed to draft a QB at least. Hindsight is easy but Kaep will regret not taking the Denver offer for less money in 2016. With all of the trouble they have had with QBs he might still be there or he also may have been another of their casualties. It will take a brave GM to sign him. He probably would have had the job at Miami without the Castro comments and the Ravens option was ruined by his girlfriend and a fan backlash. Almost been out now for one and a half seasons.
I've mentioned this before, but the notion that his girlfriend played any role in the decision (other than useful pretext after the fact) is risible.

djpbaltimore said:
movingtarget said:
I've mentioned this before, but the notion that his girlfriend played any role in the decision (other than useful pretext after the fact) is risible.

Maybe but it certainly added fuel to a fire that was already burning quite nicely.........

djpbaltimore said:
movingtarget said:
IMO, they were 50/50 about him so his gf posting a charged illustration just pushed it past the line for them. Risible maybe, but if you own a team, aren't too sure if you want to take on baggage, and then see that...

Risible? Dang man, you must be older than me! :)

That's interesting about Kaep even being snubbed in a history photo by the 49ers and their "apology". But I agree with you guys, he'd need to get signed as a backup, and he would be a lightening rod, a distraction. Granted, it's a distraction you know is coming, but it may be so much so that it overcomes focus on the team. This is why, if he plays anywhere, it will be in the forthcoming AAF, even though it looks fairly small, or XFL in 2019, which looks bigger...if it happens.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2018/05/30/is-the-alliance-of-american-football-really-an-option-for-colin-kaepernick/

In the past couple months Skip Bayless has been ripping on Kirk Cousins, calling him the most overpaid player in the NFL. Really? Skip complains that Kirk "pads his stats", but with some searching I could only find one game where his numbers were askew to the positive, a wildcard playoff loss to the Packers two seasons back, where they were continually behind and threw all the time when the Packers played fairly loose, but mostly kept them out of the end zone. Maybe Skip's been sitting in his own overpaid ESPN office for too long, because the obvious most overpaid player in the NFL over the past several years is Eli Manning, who is in year 3 of a 4 year $84m deal, making $22m this year, and $23 next year. In fact, his career earnings will total over $250m when he's done. And how well has Eli played? Well, he did win two SB MVP awards...in games where the Giant defense held Tom Brady and the Patriots to 17, and 14 points. His numbers in both games were marginally lower than Tom Brady's even. But let's look at his record since then, the last six seasons, a total of 40 wins, and 54 losses. He's thrown 134 TD's, to 88 Interceptions. His passer rating has been between 69 and 93.

In that same time frame, Cousins has been 29-27-1 as a starter. He has thrown 110 TD's, and just 57 Ints (less action his first 3 seasons). His passer rating was a low of 58 in his second season, but in the last four years has been between 93, and 105.1, which happens to be this season. Cousins also throws the ball deeper down the field,with more pass attempts, and more completions over 20 and over 40 yards. Cousins currently makes $24m a year, which rises to $27 next season, and $29 in 2020. He made $23m a year his last two seasons in Washington, because they refused to sign him, or trade him, and just franchise tagged him.

Finally, this season Cousins ranks 7th in passer rating (105.1) and QBR 77.1.
Eli ranks 20th in passer rating (90.9), and 25th in QBR at 40.7.

Arguably the most important QBR stat is what ESPN calls "points added", which is a number showing what was expected of the QB, and how much better he performed than that, which is adjusted each week before each game. This is somewhat akin to WAR in MLB sabermetrics. Cousins is at 17.1, fourth in the NFL, while Eli is at -5.6, yes, minus 5.6, which is 27th.

Picks in a moment.

JMDirt - That's great you are waiting for my picks, but some weeks I've been wildly off!

TB@ATL - Despite their injuries, and this could be all offense, I like the Falcons.
CAR@WAS - I only went with the more consistent team.
SEA@OAK - Seattle coming off one of their best games, and I see a no-Earl Thomas letdown.
IND@NYJ - Home team.
ARI@MIN - Vikings still one of the league's best. This will not be like the Vikings Bills game.
PIT@CIN - Steelers must win, and Cincy while playing surprisingly well, and at home, I think loses.
LAC@CLE - I've said before the Chargers are the 3rd best team in the AFC (Chiefs, Pats). This game could be tough, low scoring. Bosa not back yet though.
BUF@HOU - Home team, while inconsistent, and sketchy OL, Texans pull it together.
CHI@MIA - Fins fall continues against stellar defense of Bears.
LAR@DEN - Rams D didn't look great last week, but Broncos have looked worse.
BAL@TEN - Ravens have tools, especially on D, but Titans are solid across the board, if not superb, enough to win at home.
JAX@DAL - Bumpy days for the Cowboys. But at home, this should be close. Fournette still out for Jacksonville, so this was a tough pick for me.
KC@NE - Here's the game to watch, obviously. Erase last year's KC win, erase all of this year's games. To me this game will look a lot like last year's Patriots win over the Texans 36-33, when Watson was red hot, but Brady found a way to keep up, and win in the 4th quarter when it mattered most. While everyone talks about how Belicheck has plans to stop young QBs, I don't fully buy it here. Why? Because Mahomes has been very adaptive in games, and because of Andy Reid, while only 1-5 against Belicheck, has always played him well, is nearly as saavy, inventive, and one of the top 5 coaches in the NFL. Maybe top 2 (Sean Payton? Pete Carroll? Mike Tomlin?) In fact, Belicheck was heaping praise on him early this week. This score could easily be flipped, the Chiefs winning a 36-33 game.

SF@GB - Bethard played as good if not better than expected, but Rogers is obviously still hurting. The bye week can't come fast enough for him. Luckily, it's after this game. Then, they return to face the Rams, in LA.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
JMDirt - That's great you are waiting for my picks, but some weeks I've been wildly off!

TB@ATL - Despite their injuries, and this could be all offense, I like the Falcons.
CAR@WAS - I only went with the more consistent team.
SEA@OAK - Seattle coming off one of their best games, and I see a no-Earl Thomas letdown.
IND@NYJ - Home team.
ARI@MIN - Vikings still one of the league's best. This will not be like the Vikings Bills game.
PIT@CIN - Steelers must win, and Cincy while playing surprisingly well, and at home, I think loses.
LAC@CLE - I've said before the Chargers are the 3rd best team in the AFC (Chiefs, Pats). This game could be tough, low scoring. Bosa not back yet though.
BUF@HOU - Home team, while inconsistent, and sketchy OL, Texans pull it together.
CHI@MIA - Fins fall continues against stellar defense of Bears.
LAR@DEN - Rams D didn't look great last week, but Broncos have looked worse.
BAL@TEN - Ravens have tools, especially on D, but Titans are solid across the board, if not superb, enough to win at home.
JAX@DAL - Bumpy days for the Cowboys. But at home, this should be close. Fournette still out for Jacksonville, so this was a tough pick for me.
KC@NE - Here's the game to watch, obviously. Erase last year's KC win, erase all of this year's games. To me this game will look a lot like last year's Patriots win over the Texans 36-33, when Watson was red hot, but Brady found a way to keep up, and win in the 4th quarter when it mattered most. While everyone talks about how Belicheck has plans to stop young QBs, I don't fully buy it here. Why? Because Mahomes has been very adaptive in games, and because of Andy Reid, while only 1-5 against Belicheck, has always played him well, is nearly as saavy, inventive, and one of the top 5 coaches in the NFL. Maybe top 2 (Sean Payton? Pete Carroll? Mike Tomlin?) In fact, Belicheck was heaping praise on him early this week. This score could easily be flipped, the Chiefs winning a 36-33 game.

SF@GB - Bethard played as good if not better than expected, but Rogers is obviously still hurting. The bye week can't come fast enough for him. Luckily, it's after this game. Then, they return to face the Rams, in LA.
...and I'm always 100%! :rolleyes: :lol:

Well, let's go out on a limb there JMD. :)

Not sure about my team Seattle, if it comes down to it kicker Sebas is iffy. So I have no warm fuzzy feelings in the kicking game. Plus Seattle's special team kickoff coverage is awful giving opponents too good starting field position. But no Earl Thomas, no problem. I'll take Seattle. ;)

The real interesting games to me are KC @ NE, LAC @ CLE, and LAR @ DEN. As good as KC is is offensively, I'll go with home team NE. And, you know, historically bad results in September for NE, well, Sept is history.

My upset picks for this week are CLE over Chargers, and Denver over Rams. 100% correct right?