• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 364 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
on3m@n@rmy said:
My upset picks for this week are CLE over Chargers, and Denver over Rams. 100% correct right?
Way off on Cleveland (I probably would have picked them also) but pretty darn close on the Broncos (I was anticipating an upset...dang). It's seems like it's impossible this season to try and predict outcomes with any consistency - too much parity. Who would have thought Dallas destroys Jacksonville & Tennessee get shut out at home by Baltimore. Crazy & unpredictable league. But we did see a good performance by a back-up for once; Osweiler filling in for the injured Tannehill throws for 380 yds & 3 TDs in the squeaker over Chicago. :)

Entertaining nightcap!
-Two good teams
-KC left at least 12 points out there (PM took too long to settle down)
-I agree with CC that the kid let go of TB to be sure not to get a flag
--fortunately overall, the "protect the QB at all costs rules" won't have a massive effect, but in this case...

SEA won.

Nomad said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
My upset picks for this week are CLE over Chargers, and Denver over Rams. 100% correct right?
Way off on Cleveland (I probably would have picked them also) but pretty darn close on the Broncos (I was anticipating an upset...dang). It's seems like it's impossible this season to try and predict outcomes with any consistency - too much parity. Who would have thought Dallas destroys Jacksonville & Tennessee get shut out at home by Baltimore. Crazy & unpredictable league. But we did see a good performance by a back-up for once; Osweiler filling in for the injured Tannehill throws for 380 yds & 3 TDs in the squeaker over Chicago. :)
For sure right re:CLE? Well, that's why I called it an upset pick. Never expect to get them right as much of the time. At least the Denver game was closer.

Re:

jmdirt said:
Entertaining nightcap!
-Two good teams
-KC left at least 12 points out there (PM took too long to settle down)
-I agree with CC that the kid let go of TB to be sure not to get a flag
--fortunately overall, the "protect the QB at all costs rules" won't have a massive effect, but in this case...

SEA won.
Okay. How do I say this. The nightcap was exciting. Kind of. I mean, this was a perfect storm of two teams that play a seemingly exciting game, but there was zero defense against dangerous offenses. So, it appeared to be the team who had the ball last wins. I hate that more than anything. I won't go so far as to blame it on the rule changes that favor offenses, because it was more about the matchups between both teams. It is what it is I guess. Not my favorite type of game to watch.

I agree the Brady sack that shoulda been was, well, I bet Packers LB Clay Matthews was going "yup, I told ya that was gonna happen".

Did not expect SEA to dominate OAK like that. But the SEA OL is starting to play better together. I mean, with a new OC, new OL coach, several new players (Sweezy in for injured Pocic, & Fluker), this OLine's ceiling for improvement is higher than many teams right now, meaning the SEA OL stands to improve more than other teams OLines as the season goes on. Now, even tho QB Wilson is nursing a hammy, he's not having to run for his life like he was all last season and some of the first two game this season. Contrast that with the awful OAK OL. OK, the OAK OL is dealing with lots of injuries ATM. So is SEA to some extent. BUT THIS, the Oakland OL coach is Tom Cable, who was the SEA OL coach last season. Just sayin'.

Good call on Tom Cable. Right now the Raiders are probably the worst team in the NFL, and despite Carr still looking like he can throw all right, their offense is just terrible overall. I doubt they could beat the Giants or Colts. Maybe the Cardinals or 49ers. It's astounding how sloppy and weak they look. Still, give Seattle some credit, two good weeks in a row.

I told you guys the Chargers are for real. They lost two close games early in the season against KC and the Rams, and this was without Joey Bosa, their best defensive player. This team is a sleeper, and dangerous.

We can only hope KC and NE meet up again in January and we see another game like this. History has shown though that the Patriots slowly and continually adapt better than any team in football, and the Chiefs do not. One thing I noticed was that the Patriots were able to disrupt and rattle Mahomes, and he made a couple bad throws when out of the pocket or looking at 3rd, 4th options. But he also made some great throws in those same exact pressure situations.

Anyone catch the end of the Pittsburgh-Cincy game? It's astounding how creative the Bengals get at blowing games against the Steelers. Let's pretend you're Marvin Lewis or Teryl Austin (DC) of Cincy. First, your team makes another dumb penalty to help the Steelers out. Now, the Steelers are driving and close to FG range. What do you do? You play a soft zone, as if you were ahead by 2 scores, leaving a receiver wide open for a 20 yard gain. Then, with the Steelers now in long range of a FG, and you still have a chance to win, who is the ONE receiver you absolutely MUST cover? Antonio Brown. So what do you do when Brown and another WR line up bunched up just off the line? You allow one CB up close opposite of the other WR, and the other CB covering the far wide side 15 yards away and off the line, plus blitz the safety with NO inside help to cover Brown, who on a rub play catches an easy quick throw (the most obvious place Ben is going to look for when he sees a blitz) for a TD to seal the win. I mean, wow, really? Props to Ben and Brown for seeing and playing catch and win, but this was just one in a long line of ugly losses for the Bengals to the Steelers.

Great win for Miami. Brock Osweiller's best game in a few years. He's now 4-0 against Chicago. Great game by Frank Gore as well. Miami needed this win, at home, and gritted it out and got it.

Similar goes for Dak Prescott, who played his best game since his rookie year. Cowboys maddeningly inconsistent.

Ravens defense just devoured the Titans OL, in an ugly way.

Big win for the Cowboys but the Jaguars were overrated even last year as the playoffs showed. About time to stop with the Jaguars great defense commentary ! Patriots game would have been fun to attend. Raiders season looking dire maybe the 49ers will be marginally better if they can stop getting injured and if Beathard cuts out the turnovers. Good to see Osweiler doing well. He needed it.

Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
A true good person. RIP Paul Allen.

Wrong thread? Or was he involved in the NFL?
Seattle Seahawks owner, & Portland Trailblazers owner. It's all over NFL news, but move it if in wrong thread.
Pete Carroll talking about it now on 710ESPN-Seattle. A few sound bites:
- Paul Allen felt there was space in the world for people to be unique and different
- a hands-off guy, but tuned in
- a problem solver in everything, including medical field
- philanthropist (e.g. funded building of homeless shelter in Seattle that houses ~94 families)
- former LT Walter Jones saying he was very caring person

As for the game in Wembley Stadium last Sunday, Seattle players saying felt like home game due in part to all the European fans, & want to go back to London.

He was certainly one of the best owners in all of sports, if not sports history. Early on after purchasing the Trailblazers he poured money into the franchise like no one before, not just with contracts, not just facilities, but many creature comforts to help the players, and the full staff. He was one of the very first owners to buy a jet just for the team to travel on, and had it customized as such, and not a small jet, a full Boeing 757. Allen also was very color blind, and believed in actively crossing race barriers. In fact, he didn't like being referred to as an owner in either the NBA or NFL, instead preferring the title of "Chairman", the opposite of someone such as Donald Sterling, who the generally quiet Allen openly chastised, calling him abhorrent, and one of the first team owners to call for his ousting. He was also the opposite of someone like Jerry Jones or Daniel Snyder in that he was very hand's off in managerial decisions. Just hiring the best people he could, and letting them do their job, while being friendly and supportive of the players.

He was also one of the first people to sign the Gifting Pledge, saying,

“I believe that those fortunate to achieve great wealth should put it to work for the good of humanity.”

Which he actively did. Allen eventually gave away hundreds of millions of dollars, as fast as he reasonably could actually. In 2012, the Chronicle of Philanthropy named him the most generous living donor in America, after he gave away $372.6m in the previous year. I'm sure when his will is read we'll find that's likely to continue in perpetuity with Vulcan funneling hundreds of millions of dollars or billions to charities and non-profits, through the Gates foundation, and elsewhere.

Sticking on point, the facts. Allen's passing turns the ownership into a complex that we won't fully understand until his full trust is revealed, and sorted out, which could take months.

Allen was a consensus builder and a listener. A lot of decisions "he" made, were also made by Vulcan's staff, whom he was close to. Bill Hilf is the CEO of Vulcan, and ran it even when Allen was alive, Chris McGowan was the CEO of Vulcan Sports, a sub division. There are others at their executive level that routinely helped shape decisions and likely will continue to have input. Bill Kolde is the vice chairman and director at Vulcan, who basically dealt with many of the nitty gritty business decisions with the Seahwaks and Trailblazers, and has been friends with Allen for decades. He's reported to be "wealthy" and could possibly buy the Trailbalzers from Vulcan, presuming Vulcan focuses on tech, and philanthropy, moving away from the fickle world of sports over time. It's believed he's a bit more of an NBA guy than NFL guy. Chuck Arnold is the President of the Seahawks, and while probably well off, doesn't likely have the cash or connections to purchase even a part of the either franchise the way Kolde perhaps can.

It also stands to reason that Paul's sister, Jody, whom he was very close to, will inherit a great deal, or at least be very well taken care of. Jody is known to be a huge Seahawk fan, and huge football fan, but has only passing interest in the NBA and Trailblazers. One might assume she may take over at least majority ownership of the Seahawks over time, but who knows.

http://www.vulcan.com/About/Leadership

https://www.seahawks.com/team/front-office-roster/

https://www.nba.com/blazers/contact/frontoffice

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2018/10/canzano_paul_allen_is_dead.html

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Sticking on point, the facts. Allen's passing turns the ownership into a complex that we won't fully understand until his full trust is revealed, and sorted out, which could take months.

Allen was a consensus builder and a listener. A lot of decisions "he" made, were also made by Vulcan's staff, whom he was close to. Bill Hilf is the CEO of Vulcan, and ran it even when Allen was alive, Chris McGowan was the CEO of Vulcan Sports, a sub division. There are others at their executive level that routinely helped shape decisions and likely will continue to have input. Bill Kolde is the vice chairman and director at Vulcan, who basically dealt with many of the nitty gritty business decisions with the Seahwaks and Trailblazers, and has been friends with Allen for decades. He's reported to be "wealthy" and could possibly buy the Trailbalzers from Vulcan, presuming Vulcan focuses on tech, and philanthropy, moving away from the fickle world of sports over time. It's believed he's a bit more of an NBA guy than NFL guy. Chuck Arnold is the President of the Seahawks, and while probably well off, doesn't likely have the cash or connections to purchase even a part of the either franchise the way Kolde perhaps can.

It also stands to reason that Paul's sister, Jody, whom he was very close to, will inherit a great deal, or at least be very well taken care of. Jody is known to be a huge Seahawk fan, and huge football fan, but has only passing interest in the NBA and Trailblazers. One might assume she may take over at least majority ownership of the Seahawks over time, but who knows.

http://www.vulcan.com/About/Leadership

https://www.seahawks.com/team/front-office-roster/

https://www.nba.com/blazers/contact/frontoffice

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2018/10/canzano_paul_allen_is_dead.html
Thanks Alpe! I wonder if Arnold will inherit the Seahawks? Or maybe sis might let him continue to run the show?

Re: Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
King Boonen said:
on3m@n@rmy said:
A true good person. RIP Paul Allen.

Wrong thread? Or was he involved in the NFL?
Seattle Seahawks owner, & Portland Trailblazers owner. It's all over NFL news, but move it if in wrong thread.

No worries, was just a question as I know you post in this thread a lot and didn't know his connections. The lack of context made me think you'd maybe thought you were in a different thread. Thanks for the info.

Re:

Unchained said:
Alpe..in a situation like this do the NFL owners have anything to say about the Seahawks disposition?
The short answer is, yes, they do. But don't expect them to do much of anything until the cards start to settle. I'm sure over the next couple weeks it will be business as usual with the team, running the way it has been. Recall that Allen was very hand's off as an owner, letting the experts do the work. If Paul did anything hand's on, it was mostly in helping evaluate talent and giving input into the draft, which interested him most. But I'll be surprised if there was any sort of direct transfer in Allen's trust. My gut tells me the thrust of his will and trust will be that Vulcan will continue on in tech, with a large focus on philanthropy, and a nice chunk going to his extended family, mostly Jody. We think of him as a sports team owner, and ex-Microsoft guy, but in reality the Trailblazers and Seahawks were mostly fun hobbies to Paul in a sense, his true focus and life passion was in tech, medicine, philanthropy, as posted earlier, everywhere.

The issue with ownership transfer is this isn't a case where Al Davis dies, and his son Mark, who's been around the team for decades with dad, and inherited most of dad's wealth, just takes the team over. Same with the Spanos family and the Chargers. This also isn't a case like the Jets, where Woody Johnson ran the team, but has slowly turned it over to his younger brother Christopher. Kraft and the Patriots will be like that in the future. This will be more like the long, somewhat drawn out process, when Eddie DeBartolo sold the 49ers to his family - regardless if Jody takes over any ownership of the Seahawks or not. I'd be really surprised if Paul Allen gave a huge chunk of cash to Arnold, expecting him to take over the ownership of the Seahawks. Stranger things have happened though.

When it comes time to a change of ownership, the NFL's executive committee, and Roger Goodell, will have something to say about who is allowed to take over ownership or buy a team. Here's a link that talks some about the governance of the league, and how incredibly detailed they are about keeping things running on track and smooth, protecting the shield.

https://operations.nfl.com/football-ops/league-governance/

Re:

movingtarget said:
49ers sign Tom Savage.....mmmmm
And the Bills sign Derek Anderson (Derek who?). Josh Allen luckily dodges a bullet with his elbow injury (it was initially feared it might be a torn UCL requiring Tommy John surgery).

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/10/17/bills-derek-anderson-josh-allen-elbow-injury-status

And Peterman is so bad they had to sign some journeyman who hasn't played since 2016. Lol. Why don't they just cut and part ways? So what happens to Peterman when Allen comes back? Keep a 3rd QB at 2.6 mil/4 yrs who if you play, according to the HC, risk "losing the locker room." The crazy NFL at times.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/bills-losing-the-locker-room-with-nathan-peterman-josh-allen-reportedly-facing-tommy-john-like-injury/

Nice game from Denver, though the Cards also handed it to them. Those early picks by Rosen just killed them, and being sacked 6 times didn't help.

Regarding Nate Peterman, I decided to look a little into him, doing my best to not bash the guy, just stick to the facts as much as I can. First, he's only 24, so who knows what will happen in the future, but right now, he looks like, at best, a career backup. He gained notice first at Tennessee, then in the Senior Bowl. He was one of 15 QBs at the Combine, and threw okay, with just okay numbers. The Bills took him in the 5th round. Last year he was named the starter in week 11 against the Chargers, and threw 5 interceptions, an NFL rookie record. He played again in week 14, in the snow, and was 5-10, for 57 yards. He played some in the playoff game against the Jags, and threw another pick. With those kinds of numbers, it was almost surprising they invited him back to camp.

Somehow, some way, Peterman really stepped up in camp, and during the preseason, where he had a passer rating of 124.7, which is just superb, 3TDs to only one pick and an 80% completion percentage, with the longest average throws in the league at over 10 yards per attempt. These are Drew Brees type numbers. After this, the Bills said he earned the right to be their starter over Allen, and McCarron, who they even traded away. But the preseason is really not the regular season. Coaches try some things, don't try others, are mostly evaluating, and often playing 2nd, 3rd, 4th string guys. For example, EJ Manuel also had a preseason passer rating of 120.9, but if you saw him play you realized he wasn't that good, and the Raiders cut him. Kyle Sloter had a passer rating of 114.1, Joshua Dobbs 112.0.

Fast forward to the regular season, and Peterman has gone back to 2017, playing in just over two games, his passer rating is 16.7. He's thrown 1 TD, and 4 INTs. His average throw has been 2.8 yards. His numbers are so bad, he's the worst QB in the league with over 30 pass attempts, out over 40 QBs with a QBR of 6.6. Granted, the Bills OL is a mess, and they don't have many playmakers. But even Josh Allen, who everyone knew would take time and needed to develop has been significantly better, and his numbers aren't good either. 61.8 passer rating (29.2 QBR), and this after they basically threw Allen to the wolves.

So, if the Bills signed Derek Anderson as their backup, why don't they just cut Peterman? My guess is because he's only making $550,000 this year, and having him on roster means they can choose a time if they want to release him when it's least likely he'd be picked up by someone else, and push him to the practice squad, and maybe, since again he's only 24, he'll somehow learn and be a competent backup in the future.

Definitely a nice game for the Broncos - I expected a win but not that big of a blowout on the road for a Thursday night game with a short week of practice. Great win for Joseph who's been on the hot seat. On the other side Chosen Rosen looked terrible, Bradford is hurt (imagine that) and that leaves Glennon as maybe the next man up. Sad times in Arizona at 1-6...season over.

The Broncos have 10 days to prepare for the rematch with KC. Listening to Orlando Franklin here in Denver on one of the post-game radio programs - he thinks with a win at KC the Broncos could turn their season around and be in contention in the division. It would be a big task on the road at KC though, but the Broncos did play them tough and were in the game right to the end. We shall see.

And just like that, the Cardinals fire offensive coordinator Mike McCoy. Well, after a game like that, someone's head was bound to roll. Byron Leftwich is promoted to the job, for now at least. Good luck Byron, you're going to need it.

It's strange that we're less than halfway into the season, and I read some comments where people, fans of the Cardinals (but likely the Raiders, Giants, 49ers, Colts, Bills too) are looking ahead to next year's draft! Problem is, most of these teams listed need OL help, but every look says next season's early rounds will be loaded with defensive linemen.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019.php

TRENDING THREADS