• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 559 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Allen is not faster than Luck was - Luck ran an impressive 4.67 at the 2012 combine (4th fastest - RGIII/Wilson/Jefferson) while Allen ran 4.75 at his combine - the same as Big Ben. Size wise they're all about the same - Luck (6-4/235) Big Ben (6-5/241) & Allen (6-5/237). Don't know who's stronger since QBs don't participate in the BP at the combine & there's no other method to measure who's "stronger."

The knock against Allen is he's running the ball too much and risking injury. He put up dual-threat type rushing stats last year rushing 122 times for 763 yds - second behind dual-threat QBs Hurts (784 yds) & LJ (767 yds - though missed 5 games due to injury).

Allen was not a dual-threat QB in college (Wyoming) while Hurts & LJ ran the ball almost as much as they threw it in college - so it's instinctive to them & a hard habit to break in the NFL. Allen has already rushed 422 times in just 4 yrs since starting as a rookie. He may be a bigger QB in the league with decent speed but he's no match for some of these skull crushing LBs who are weighing in over 230 lbs & running mind-blowing 4.4's. Look at LJ - he's starting to accumulate injuries & I think it's a matter of time before the big one hits him. I'd hate to see Allen suffer a season-ending injury trying to take head on some of these stud backers & safeties (I think he's already had a concussion or two?).
All you say is true. I think his greatest impact is relatively short runs and that's where his first steps seem to have power. He has run too much to avoid injury indefinitely.

Reactions: jmdirt
You're the Browns GM (or head coach). You make the call:

It becomes increasingly likely Deshaun Watson will be suspended for multiple games, perhaps for the entire season. Do you:

A) Dump Baker Mayfield for whatever you can get in return, even if you have to eat some his salary. And) Get ready to start Jacoby Brisett, knowing that the team will likely go .500 (at best) with him at QB, though the situation will be stabile, and he'll be okay sitting when Watson can play.

B) Get ready to start Mayfield, knowing that he doesn't want to be here, quite a few teammates are likely unhappy with him, it's a total lame duck situation for him where he's likely to play selfish to pad stats knowing he'll be a FA at year's end or trade bait. However, the team may play .700 ball with him at QB, if he's truly healthy, only if the players somehow, some way, buy into him and support him.

C) Crank up the time machine, go back to June, and not trade those picks away for Watson because it's too damned risky that he'll be suspended by the league for some time, when the team is built to win now.

As to Seattle. If I were Pete Carroll, I'd try to play Lock, see what happens, see if he really has it (we know Geno is average, at best) and accept the team may tank this year, and have a high draft pick next season in a draft with potential starting QB talent (CJ Stoud, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson). It's obvious to me the Texans are going to flat out suck and could finish 1-16, and will take the best QB with that first pick. But there will be a cluster of teams with 3-5 wins, some don't need QB's (Jax), but some do, and Seattle could be in the mix.

A real conundrum is will Jody Allen be the owner of the team? Jody is both the trustee, and executor of Paul Allen's estate. But Allen's trust was expressly written that he wanted his wealth to go to a mix of scientific research and charity. If it ALL flat out were distributed that way, Jody wouldn't have the cash to buy the team. But it's also quite possible she could angle the deal knowing the profits for the team will be ongoing, and if she can use proceeds to purchase 51% (or the majority) of the team as part of a group, especially if she really pushes the rest to charity, and puts the sale of the Trail Blazers on a fast track, it's possible.

It's hard dissolving a trust. Even for people who don't have a lot of wealth, so even though Paul's been gone for over three years now, I still think it's going to be at least another year before we see real movement, especially with the Seahawks, which is the most visible "jewel" in the trust. Another part of the issue is if I were the trustee, I'd be holding onto Allen's stocks and bonds as long as possible until the market rebounds. We're talking several billion dollars here. The shift could result in a distribution amount over $1b if played right.

I may be talking out my you know what here, but I think how proactive Jody is on this issue, may give you an idea how successful she could be as the team owner. If she just sits, and waits, and sits and waits, or delays, at some point enough lawyers are going to start pecking at her, and I'm not sure the team wants an owner who is that passive, so to speak.

Paul was quietly one of the very greatest philanthropists in human history. No matter what happens, that should never be lost on people.

It becomes increasingly likely Deshaun Watson will be suspended for multiple games, perhaps for the entire season. Do you:

A) Dump Baker Mayfield for whatever you can get in return, even if you have to eat some his salary. And) Get ready to start Jacoby Brisett, knowing that the team will likely go .500 (at best) with him at QB, though the situation will be stabile, and he'll be okay sitting when Watson can play.

B) Get ready to start Mayfield, knowing that he doesn't want to be here, quite a few teammates are likely unhappy with him, it's a total lame duck situation for him where he's likely to play selfish to pad stats knowing he'll be a FA at year's end or trade bait. However, the team may play .700 ball with him at QB, if he's truly healthy, only if the players somehow, some way, buy into him and support him.

C) Crank up the time machine, go back to June, and not trade those picks away for Watson because it's too damned risky that he'll be suspended by the league for some time, when the team is built to win now.
Probably C but once the dust eventually settles on this situation, non disclosure agreements if they happen etc I don't think the Texans, Browns or the NFL is going to come out of this smelling rosy. I wonder how much of a play the Browns made for Russell Wilson as there were rumors that they were close to a deal with him, as were the Falcons, but they are looking at a rebuild and I think Russell probably wanted to go to a more competitive team at the moment. Maybe the Browns didn't want to spend what Denver spent and Denver has had QB issues forever. If anything they were probably more desperate than the Browns who have obviously seen enough of Baker but it seems many Browns fans are simply blaming injuries for Baker's play but that doesn't explain the dressing room poison talk about Mayfield and he did ask for a trade.

Ryan, Trubisky, Wentz, Winston and Mariota were also available but do any of those players get the Browns to a SB ? Probably not. Ryan is not the player he was. Their final option might be to void Watson's contract and trade for Jimmy G. It would cost them a 2nd round pick maybe.

I saw one report that Watson previously could have settled for 100K per plaintiff but he refused. That could be the worst decision Watson has ever made, financially and legally if it is actually true as it looks like Watson is going to lose a lot more than 2.2 million or thereabouts.

As to Seattle. If I were Pete Carroll, I'd try to play Lock, see what happens, see if he really has it (we know Geno is average, at best) and accept the team may tank this year, and have a high draft pick next season in a draft with potential starting QB talent (CJ Stoud, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson). It's obvious to me the Texans are going to flat out suck and could finish 1-16, and will take the best QB with that first pick. But there will be a cluster of teams with 3-5 wins, some don't need QB's (Jax), but some do, and Seattle could be in the mix.

A real conundrum is will Jody Allen be the owner of the team? Jody is both the trustee, and executor of Paul Allen's estate. But Allen's trust was expressly written that he wanted his wealth to go to a mix of scientific research and charity. If it ALL flat out were distributed that way, Jody wouldn't have the cash to buy the team. But it's also quite possible she could angle the deal knowing the profits for the team will be ongoing, and if she can use proceeds to purchase 51% (or the majority) of the team as part of a group, especially if she really pushes the rest to charity, and puts the sale of the Trail Blazers on a fast track, it's possible.

It's hard dissolving a trust. Even for people who don't have a lot of wealth, so even though Paul's been gone for over three years now, I still think it's going to be at least another year before we see real movement, especially with the Seahawks, which is the most visible "jewel" in the trust. Another part of the issue is if I were the trustee, I'd be holding onto Allen's stocks and bonds as long as possible until the market rebounds. We're talking several billion dollars here. The shift could result in a distribution amount over $1b if played right.

I may be talking out my you know what here, but I think how proactive Jody is on this issue, may give you an idea how successful she could be as the team owner. If she just sits, and waits, and sits and waits, or delays, at some point enough lawyers are going to start pecking at her, and I'm not sure the team wants an owner who is that passive, so to speak.

Paul was quietly one of the very greatest philanthropists in human history. No matter what happens, that should never be lost on people.
I'm a bit surprised that Jody has been quiet. She allowed Vulcan Real Estate to operate with the talented staff they had and capitalized on Seattle's market. Sold a ton of space to Amazon which looks like a really good play heading into a recession. Jody would know a thing or two about timing on the Seahawks and, given PA's philanthropy and love of his home town it would seem the last thing that either would want is to lose control of the franchise. The well-loved Sounders and Reign are another legacy they'd protect with it, I'd hope.

Their final option might be to void Watson's contract and trade for Jimmy G. It would cost them a 2nd round pick maybe.
Voiding Watson's contract without cutting him may be impossible. I'm not even sure they could have the trade reversed if he ends up in prison. Cutting him and voiding the contract would be one of the biggest debacles in NFL history. But they say there is no internal talk about voiding the contract. We'll see. Keep in mind, the Texans got a huge haul of draft picks to get rid of Watson.

Browns got: Watson, and a 6th round pick.

Texans got: Three 1st round picks (2022-2024), a 3rd round pick, and two 4th round picks. Oh, and they got rid of any headaches around Watson.

The Browns may end up with a great player, but what a huge, huge risk they took, assuming his problems were mostly behind him, when it looks like they might be right in the middle of them.

The Broncos probably gave up more to get Russell Wilson, but he doesn't come with any baggage. None.

You're right, that 100k per victim looks paltry by now. Absolute power...

But no one wants to trade anything to get Jimmy G either. It seems everyone is pretty much set on their starting QB for the most part.

So, if the 49ers can't get anything for Jimmy G...

It seems 99% likely to me the 49ers are going forward with Trey Lance. What if the team starts 4-7? Do they just toss the season away, even though they are built to win, now, even if Garappolo is still on the roster?

That NFC West is going to be an interesting division. Last year ended like this. But SF went deep in the playoffs, and were a handful of plays from going to the SB, which the Rams won:

LA Rams: 12-5
Arizona: 11-6
SF: 10-7
Seattle: 7-10

If I had to guess, I'd say this coming season looks more like:

LA Rams: 11-6
Arizona: 10-7
SF: 8-9
Seattle: 4-13

I won't be surprised if the Rams start hot, and the Cardinals finish hot. The opposite of last year.

But no one wants to trade anything to get Jimmy G either. It seems everyone is pretty much set on their starting QB for the most part.

It seems 99% likely to me the 49ers are going forward with Trey Lance. What if the team starts 4-7? Do they just toss the season away, even though they are built to win, now, even if Garappolo is still on the roster?

That NFC West is going to be an interesting division. Last year ended like this. But SF went deep in the playoffs, and were a handful of plays from going to the SB, which the Rams won:

LA Rams: 12-5
Arizona: 11-6
SF: 10-7
Seattle: 7-10

If I had to guess, I'd say this coming season looks more like:

LA Rams: 11-6
Arizona: 10-7
SF: 8-9
Seattle: 4-13

I won't be surprised if the Rams start hot, and the Cardinals finish hot. The opposite of last year.
Don't see the Cards winning 10 games and another season without playoffs might be the end for the coach. They have Hopkins suspended for a while and also Chandler Jones will be missed. Of course there are more questions about the 49ers than the Rams. If Jimmy doesn't get traded he will be cut, they won't pay him 27 mill as a back up. But he will pick up a back up job at least. Mayfield wants out at the Browns but God knows what is going to happen there with the QB situation.

Don't see the Cards winning 10 games and another season without playoffs might be the end for the coach. They have Hopkins suspended for a while and also Chandler Jones will be missed. Of course there are more questions about the 49ers than the Rams. If Jimmy doesn't get traded he will be cut, they won't pay him 27 mill as a back up. But he will pick up a back up job at least. Mayfield wants out at the Browns but God knows what is going to happen there with the QB situation.
What sucks for Baker is everyone knows he wants to leave and the Browns don’t want him so no one wants to give up what the Browns want for him.

Lance has to be starter and play in all games regardless of the team record. This is crazy - SF drafted him #3 overall paying him 34 mil/4 yr/22 mil signing bonus to sit the bench last year? The other 4 1st rd studs started most of their team's games last year including supposedly no way near ready Fields who even started 10 games getting valuable game experience. If they can't jettison Jimmy G then he has to bite his lip as the backup so Lance can get the playing experience as their franchise QB (Lawrence started every game last year despite the team going 3-14).

Lynch should have unloaded Jimmy G as soon as they made the decision to draft Lance. And if Jimmy G was still possibly their guy, then why in you know what did they draft a QB in the 1st rd, no less 3rd OA? What a clown show in SF - maybe they need to jettison the GM. Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Lance has to be starter and play in all games regardless of the team record. This is crazy - SF drafted him #3 overall...
Absolutely agree. They have to play him. As I noted before, I think they hoped he'd be the next RGIII, but in last year's pre-season, it was quickly apparent he wasn't ready. Then, when Jimmy got hurt, and Trey did play, despite showing physical talent, he didn't seem like he had the ability to throw the way he's needed. All of a sudden it was like, "Hmmm, maybe we shouldn't have given up so much for this guy." But now, they have him, and they simply must play him. If he loses his first 3, 4, 5 games, but shows potential for improvement, then accept that. But you don't give up what they did to get him, to draft him that high, and wait, and wait, and wait.

As bad of a mistake it was for the Packers to draft Love, this would be a far bigger mistake if Lance doesn't play, and soon.

Lynch should have unloaded Jimmy G as soon as they made the decision to draft Lance. And if Jimmy G was still possibly their guy, then why in you know what did they draft a QB in the 1st rd, no less 3rd OA? What a clown show in SF - maybe they need to jettison the GM. Lol.
This brings up a good point. Considering what they gave up to get Lance, and how high they drafted him, what were they thinking? He'd sit a few games behind Jimmy, who would be average, and Lance would come in and be RGIII? I'm guessing that's what they expected. But RGIII right from week 1 was a star in the making. Even in college (Heisman winner) it was assumed he'd be a great pro. Able to keep plays alive in the pocket, intelligent, strong arm with excellent deep field accuracy. Heck, maybe I'm wrong and that's not what Shanahan was hoping for? But then why make the trades and sign Lance to such a contract?

I will say this though, if they know now they are going to start Lance, and move forward with Lance, I'd try to trade Jimmy as soon as I reasonably can, for whatever I can get. And if no takers at all? I'd release him. Be done with it.

Reading up more on Baker. I'm now convinced he won't ever play another down in Cleveland. Even if Watson were suspended for the entire year, I think they either wouldn't play him or he'd just sit out and not even suit up. Or they'll just cut him, and eat his contract as dead money. Shame, because I think with a good coach, on a team of veterans, Mayfield could be a solid, winning QB. He's shown it at times, but he needs a complete offense, and coach that stays on top of him, because his biggest flaw is he can get drives going, make excellent throws, then make one very bad decision, or very bad throw. Typical Cleveland Brown; drive-killing, hope-killing, heart-breaking, faith-killing, QB. Their history is loaded with them! :oops:

Absolutely agree. They have to play him. As I noted before, I think they hoped he'd be the next RGIII, but in last year's pre-season, it was quickly apparent he wasn't ready. Then, when Jimmy got hurt, and Trey did play, despite showing physical talent, he didn't seem like he had the ability to throw the way he's needed. All of a sudden it was like, "Hmmm, maybe we shouldn't have given up so much for this guy." But now, they have him, and they simply must play him. If he loses his first 3, 4, 5 games, but shows potential for improvement, then accept that. But you don't give up what they did to get him, to draft him that high, and wait, and wait, and wait.

As bad of a mistake it was for the Packers to draft Love, this would be a far bigger mistake if Lance doesn't play, and soon.

This brings up a good point. Considering what they gave up to get Lance, and how high they drafted him, what were they thinking? He'd sit a few games behind Jimmy, who would be average, and Lance would come in and be RGIII? I'm guessing that's what they expected. But RGIII right from week 1 was a star in the making. Even in college (Heisman winner) it was assumed he'd be a great pro. Able to keep plays alive in the pocket, intelligent, strong arm with excellent deep field accuracy. Heck, maybe I'm wrong and that's not what Shanahan was hoping for? But then why make the trades and sign Lance to such a contract?

I will say this though, if they know now they are going to start Lance, and move forward with Lance, I'd try to trade Jimmy as soon as I reasonably can, for whatever I can get. And if no takers at all? I'd release him. Be done with it.

Reading up more on Baker. I'm now convinced he won't ever play another down in Cleveland. Even if Watson were suspended for the entire year, I think they either wouldn't play him or he'd just sit out and not even suit up. Or they'll just cut him, and eat his contract as dead money. Shame, because I think with a good coach, on a team of veterans, Mayfield could be a solid, winning QB. He's shown it at times, but he needs a complete offense, and coach that stays on top of him, because his biggest flaw is he can get drives going, make excellent throws, then make one very bad decision, or very bad throw. Typical Cleveland Brown; drive-killing, hope-killing, heart-breaking, faith-killing, QB. Their history is loaded with them! :oops:
I think they intended to slot Lance in during the season especially after their 2-5 start but then then they got a win streak going with Jimmy leading up to the playoffs but if Lance didn't get hurt in his first game that might have been the time for the changeover and then jimmy got hurt again and they still didn't play Lance. I don't think they would have made the playoffs with Lance and even with Jimmy they still had to win their final game against the Rams and Lance missed his final season of college football due to Covid. The two games he started he looked pretty raw and one of those was against the Texans. Anyway its water under the bridge now as that situation is over no matter what the talking heads on ESPN are saying. Only some sort of training disaster or something for Lance with an injury before the season starts will keep Jimmy on board because Sudfeld as a back up is a scary thought............but if everything progresses as normal, Jimmy will be gone soon one way or the other.

Last edited:

C

I've read that the CLE offense is all in with BM.

I read something around the holidays (might have shared it here) that there isn't much doubt that Jody will at least be the majority owner once everything settles out.

Several talking heads have said that "everything must be sold and money given to Paul's projects", but that is questionable based on several things that I have read. Speculated by a trust attorney: "What if Jody sells 25% (Seahawks) for $2 BIL, and puts that $2 BIL into satisfying the terms of Paul's trust?" (DISCLAIMER: I'm pretty sure that he said $2 BIL).

Florio on PFT.
Mike Florio, as well as Simms are so right in everything they said. The trade and signing of Watson definitely seems like a knee-jerk, emotional push by Jimmy Haslem. There has been absolutely nothing that the "new" staff of the Browns (Stefanski, Berry, DePodestra) ever did to indicate they operate like this. Simms implied Stefanski didn't even want Watson. What a recipe for disaster.

As they also say, this story seems to be making sports news almost ever day now. Every day it gets worse. I think the Browns (Haslem?) were gambling at most Watson would be suspended 6 games, maybe just 4. Maybe that could be reduced. Then it would be in the past, and the team would start winning. But this is sounding like wishful thinking more and more. There's already going to be an uproar of "me too" protests once the guy is allowed to play. But now, with the Texans involved in a likely lawsuit, and much more information likely to come out, it would almost surprise me at this point if Watson plays at all this coming season.
I read something around the holidays (might have shared it here) that there isn't much doubt that Jody Allen will at least be the majority owner once everything settles out.

Several talking heads have said that "everything must be sold and money given to Paul's projects", but that is questionable based on several things that I have read. Speculated by a trust attorney: "What if Jody sells 25% (Seahawks) for $2 BIL, and puts that $2 BIL into satisfying the terms of Paul's trust?" (DISCLAIMER: I'm pretty sure that he said $2 BIL).
I did some more digging. It seems Jody has been fairly active working with Vulcan to keep Paul's philanthropy going. The primary criticism of her is that she doesn't seem very transparent, or accessible. Hard to say I blame her though, especially if she's as shy as he was.

Here's the thing. As the trustee and executor of his estate, Jody only has to convince a judge that she's acting in the best interest of Paul's wishes. Judges don't want controversy, they don't want to meddle, they don't want to get bogged down in arcane legal details in such situations. If Jody and her attorneys can find a way to showcase that she is dissolving his estate, billions of dollars at the best market timing, and that a partial sale of the Seahawks more than the value of his purchase, or possibly equal to what the team was worth when last audited when he was alive, she may end up with enough cash from her "good work, smart investing, and good deeds" to walk away with enough money to be the majority owner of the team once the estate really starts to dissolve and get worked through.

But it seems to me this isn't going to happen anytime soon, and there seems no push from the NFL for her to take action.

I still think selling the Trail Blazers, which she's shown less enthusiasm about (though she apparently attended quite a few games last year), before any real push on the Seahawks happens, would likely buy her a lot of good press if that's a concern about her coming off as greedily wanting the Seahawks to herself.