• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 592 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jimmy G done for the season: :eek:

QBs dropping like flies this year. As I predicted at the beginning of the season, it's going to be the year of the back-up.

Brock Purdy, this year's "Mr. Irrelevant," gets his chance to lead the team.

Miami starts the game with a one play drive touchdown and ends the game with not only a one play fumble recovered for a touchdown but a one play interception on the backups first play in the game. On top of Tua leaving the game injured. A total beat down was served by the Niners.

Bengals pull another close game with Chiefs making mistakes.

A huge week for Buffalo as they move back into the one seed with already the tiebreaker over KC and a game up on Miami with the chance to beat them on the rematch.

SF's defense like an absolute wall right now. Even Miami could barely move them after running off a string of impressive games by Tua. Garoppolo likely out for the season with a broken foot. What would happen if Mr. Irrelevant Brock Purdy leads the 49ers to the Super Bowl? Remember a few weeks ago I looked up when Trey Lance could play? And according to his physician it would be about January, but John Lynch said no, he was done for the year. I wonder if...?

4 wins in a row for Cincinnati. A very complete offense with Chase back, clicking at the right time. And a stiff defense. This team that beat KC looks like they could beat anyone.

Three wins in a row for the Raiders! The team a lot of people expected to see, finally shows up, after 9 games into the season. :persevere:

Eagles to 11-1. Another solid win.

Was really hoping Houston would beat Cleveland. Watson had a sub-average day. 11/22, one pick. Bothers me that it's like almost everyone is ready to just move forward from the whole mess he created.

Another steady game from Pickett in Pittsburgh. The Steelers may not end up with a winning season, but their future looks okay.

I realize Green Bay beat Chicago, but the Lions keep winning, and at 5-7 are in 2nd place in the NFC north. Detroit has won 4 out of its last 5, with the only loss coming to Buffalo. Only two games this season were they not competitive.

The Broncos couldn't even beat Baltimore lead by Tyler Huntley, who outplayed Russell Wilson...

SF's defense like an absolute wall right now. Even Miami could barely move them after running off a string of impressive games by Tua. Garoppolo likely out for the season with a broken foot. What would happen if Mr. Irrelevant Brock Purdy leads the 49ers to the Super Bowl? Remember a few weeks ago I looked up when Trey Lance could play? And according to his physician it would be about January, but John Lynch said no, he was done for the year. I wonder if...?

4 wins in a row for Cincinnati. A very complete offense with Chase back, clicking at the right time. And a stiff defense. This team that beat KC looks like they could beat anyone.

Three wins in a row for the Raiders! The team a lot of people expected to see, finally shows up, after 9 games into the season. :persevere:

Was really hoping Houston would beat Cleveland. Watson had a sub-average day. 11/22, one pick. Bothers me that it's like almost everyone is ready to just move forward from the whole mess he created.

Another steady game from Pickett in Pittsburgh. The Steelers may not end up with a winning season, but their future looks okay.

I realize Green Bay beat Chicago, but the Lions keep winning, and at 5-7 are in 2nd place in the NFC north. Detroit has won 4 out of its last 5, with the only loss coming to Buffalo. Only two games this season were they not competitive.

The Broncos couldn't even beat Baltimore lead by Tyler Huntley, who outplayed Russell Wilson...
Huntly is actually pretty good. H could start for many teams.

Good thing the NFL decided we all wanted to see Dallas vs. Indy. Game was dramatic, close the whole way, with real playoff implications. 54-19, but it could have gone either way. At least we didn't have to sit through that boring, meaningless Bengals-Chiefs game. :rolleyes:
Huntly is actually pretty good. H could start for many teams.
Denver and...who else? ;)

Let's see how he does now that DCs have a good look at him. I will say this though, he seems to have a good arm, and takes opportunities given without forcing the ball. Jeff Hostleter, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Mark Rypien all won rings playing like that.

Surprised that the Rams got so close. Stafford.
He apparently also has some sort of nerve damage. At 34, he should retire. His contract with the Rams was front and back loaded. If he walked away now, he will have made over $60m, mostly from this year's signing bonus and play. While he will make over $30m in the next two years, he really needs to stick around until he's 38 to see the other big bonus, some $44m that year. But what for? To collect more money than he'll ever need, and have his body ruined? Seems like he's already reached both of those, and has a SB ring. Why accelerate any CTE he likely already has at least to some degree?

Not sure what the Colts will do. My guess is the draft is where they'll find their next QB, but who knows? While Saturday would have the inside track to coach the team next season, he's going to have to go through a process competing against other candidates. Jim Irsay says he wants to keep GM Chris Ballard through 2023, but we'll see about that. Irsay was once a great owner, but I think he's starting to see father time chase him, and may make desperate decisions in order to win while he's still on this earth (like Al Davis, Wayne Huyzinga, . Even if he keeps Ballard, just how much input will Ballard have in selecting the next coach? QB? Draft picks?

Good win for SEA.
The D needs to get better.
The D play preparation was completely off on LA's passing game which was pretty good. They stiffened when it counted and forced some field goals which turned out to be the game difference.
The official's call giving Bobby Wagner an interception when the receiver was on the ground was total BS. It could have been the game deciding play. Wagner, for his part had an incredible game and was happy to see it....as long as Seattle got out alive. Hopefully their running backs mend up.

Reactions: jmdirt
Good thing the NFL decided we all wanted to see Dallas vs. Indy. Game was dramatic, close the whole way, with real playoff implications. 54-19, but it could have gone either way. At least we didn't have to sit through that boring, meaningless Bengals-Chiefs game. :rolleyes:

Denver and...who else? ;)

Let's see how he does now that DCs have a good look at him. I will say this though, he seems to have a good arm, and takes opportunities given without forcing the ball. Jeff Hostleter, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson and Mark Rypien all won rings playing like that.
I count 17 that he's as good or better than.

Pathetic...this Bronco team has hit some all-time lows. Lol. Certainly acquiring Wilson with huge $$$ & giving away three 1st rd picks hasn't had the desired effect that the Broncos had when they acquired Manning a decade ago.

And you're probably right - Hackett will be gone on Black Monday & he'll be the scape goat for Wilson's & the offense's poor performance. The organization isn't going to get rid of Wilson - he's stuck here for the duration of his contract unless he pulls the plug & retires or something like that. The off-season mantra will be how Hackett & Wilson were a bad fit & he just needs the right coaching staff to shine. They'll never blame Wilson or hold him accountable for this year's deplorable season - it'll be all Hackett's fault. Easier to blame a rookie HC making only 4 mil than a quarter of a Billion dollar SB winning star that has a big following. Lol

Last edited:
Surely the Colts have to think about someone like Jimmy G for next season. If Jeff Saturday didn't know the cold hard reality of the situation he has landed in already, he certainly know now.........
No kidding...Matt Ryan is absolutely terrible! He seems to get mixed up which guys are on his team when he passes. And this is a veteran QB that's been in the league a long time? He needs to retire & take a cushy job in the booth or join one of those ad nuseam talking heads shows. Lol. I quit watching the game after the 3rd quarter & called it a night. SNF needs to flex better games for that popular time slot. If they don't - their ratings are going to plummet.

As I suspected Mike White having a heck of a time with the Vikings. But he still looks better than Zach Wilson. Cousins really gritting it out. Much better player under O'Connel than he ever was under Zimmer.
I think people are being too presumptuous with White after that excellent first game he played. I wasn't impressed with his performance late in the 4th qt when the Jets just needed a score to tie. With a few mins left in the game they couldn't punch in in four tries there inside the 10 yd line turning the ball over on downs. Fortunately, the Jets had all three TOs & got the ball back around mid-field with 30 or so seconds left - doable to get a score under those conditions with the right QB. But what does he do? - throws a pick at the goal line & game over. Remember at the end of the day - it's all about W's & the Jets lost this game with White at the helm.

I think it was still the right move to make the change given the way the team had turned on Wilson, but let's wait & see how he performs over the remainder of the season to make a fair evaluation on his future & whether or not he's actually better than Wilson.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Considering how many yards the Vikings gave up to the Jets, and the fact the Jets/White could not get the ball into the end zone, does tell a lot.

I said Matthew Stafford should retire. Matt Ryan really needs to retire!

I'm not sure who would pick up Mayfield? He looks like the next Johnny Manziel at this point.

And you're probably right - Hackett will be gone on Black Monday & he'll be the scape goat for Wilson's & the offense's poor performance. The organization isn't going to get rid of Wilson - he's stuck here for the duration of his contract...
That would be exactly my guess what the team will do. They sank way too much money into Wilson to accept the humility of a horrible deal and cut him, even if that's what they really should do.

Considering how many yards the Vikings gave up to the Jets, and the fact the Jets/White could not get the ball into the end zone, does tell a lot.

I said Matthew Stafford should retire. Matt Ryan really needs to retire!

I'm not sure who would pick up Mayfield? He looks like the next Johnny Manziel at this point.

That would be exactly my guess what the team will do. They sank way too much money into Wilson to accept the humility of a horrible deal and cut him, even if that's what they really should do.
No matter what BM does he will never be the next Johnny (not) Football.

The 49ers should be thinking about him.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
The next "Johnny Manziel"...that's hilarious - I choked on my afternoon coffee when I read that. Lol

Could he end up with the Broncos? This morning the 49ers signed Josh Johnson from the Bronco's practice squad leaving them with just Wilson & Rypien.

This article mentions 4 teams likely interested in Mayfield none of which are the Broncos (though the article might have been written before the signing of Johnson).

Last edited:

49ers fans are clinging to hopes that Purdy can be adequate. He looked good in the first preseason game then got steadily worse. The next two games should tell more against the Bucs and Seattle. But I remember Nick Mullens starting like a house on fire when Jimmy got hurt . His first 6 games broke QB records alongside people like Favre, he also had a great connection with Kittle who broke his his TE receiving record that season, but it didn't last long. He became a turnover machine but he had a big win over the Raiders, and also the Hawks who the 49ers could never beat back then. The frustrating thing is that he is a good back up but something happens in his head, maybe the pressure of the situation. Last time I saw him play he played well.

Purdy did a good job in the Miami game but he also got a lot of help from the YAC brothers. I'd be very surprised if they signed Baker and it sounds like Lance won't be back this season. The odd thing about all this is that Shanahan will know more about Purdy by the end of the season than he will about Lance. It seems the 49ers never get to the playoffs the easy way at least in recent times. The sad thing is that a lot of Jimmy's injuries are caused by his own bad decision making. He simply hung onto the ball much too long on a play that was going nowhere and the frustrating thing is that he has been better at dumping the ball off this season and also making less 50/50 throws. as the intercept stats show.

10-3 with Saints leaving points off the board with two drops. Tampa is looking like their usual self with Brady missing on a third down conversion and two deep balls throwing one short and other too far when the receivers were open. Then the Saints had a great defensive call for the interception taking potential points off. Bucs just can’t do anything at home against Saints.

Reactions: jmdirt
Crazy ending to MNF. Tampa plays like crap for over 55 minutes, then Brady pulls the game out like the old days. But all the same, the way the Saints defense grew soft late killed them. I wasn't watching super close every play, but I'm all but certain they never once sent a 5th rusher after Brady late. Not one time.

A lot of 49er fans making a LOT of noise that they want Colin Kaepernick back. First, it's not going to happen. Next, he hasn't played a snap since January 1st, 2017. Over five years. I mean, I guess, I suppose it's possible, but...it's not going to happen.

I was obviously joking comparing Mayfield to Manziel. Baker was never as bad as Manziel, even at his worst. But in a few ways it's true! Both (over)drafted by the Browns with high hopes. Both had egos that got in the way. Both degraded as their short careers went on. But someone will pick Mayfield up, for certain. It just won't be SF.

Nick Mullens is the backup for the Vikings. I think he had a couple problems. First is that I don't think he had that great of an arm. Nick even admitted this I think when he left for the Eagles(?) saying he was working on his throwing motion and mechanics to zip the ball better. Maybe he's better now, haven't seen him play in a bit. I think he also had surgery on his throwing arm his last year in SF. Next, he was such a huge student of the game I think he had too great of expectations and overthought things. Then, when games weren't going right, the wheels would come off. I remember seeing a stat that he actually was more accurate and able to pile up yards far better under pressure than in a sound pocket, where he made bad throws. How do you coach and prepare for that?

Crazy ending to MNF. Tampa plays like crap for over 55 minutes, then Brady pulls the game out like the old days. But all the same, the way the Saints defense grew soft late killed them. I wasn't watching super close every play, but I'm all but certain they never once sent a 5th rusher after Brady late. Not one time.

A lot of 49er fans making a LOT of noise that they want Colin Kaepernick back. First, it's not going to happen. Next, he hasn't played a snap since January 1st, 2017. Over five years. I mean, I guess, I suppose it's possible, but...it's not going to happen.

I was obviously joking comparing Mayfield to Manziel. Baker was never as bad as Manziel, even at his worst. But in a few ways it's true! Both (over)drafted by the Browns with high hopes. Both had egos that got in the way. Both degraded as their short careers went on. But someone will pick Mayfield up, for certain. It just won't be SF.

Nick Mullens is the backup for the Vikings. I think he had a couple problems. First is that I don't think he had that great of an arm. Nick even admitted this I think when he left for the Eagles(?) saying he was working on his throwing motion and mechanics to zip the ball better. Maybe he's better now, haven't seen him play in a bit. I think he also had surgery on his throwing arm his last year in SF. Next, he was such a huge student of the game I think he had too great of expectations and overthought things. Then, when games weren't going right, the wheels would come off. I remember seeing a stat that he actually was more accurate and able to pile up yards far better under pressure than in a sound pocket, where he made bad throws. How do you coach and prepare for that?
If Shanahan wanted Kap he would have signed him after Chip Kelly left but he knew he wasn't a good scheme fit. A running QB that had an inconsistent passing game. The idea at the time was to sign Cousins but he was locked up so they got Hoyer until they could get someone better. Kap was never wanted by Kyle and after seeing Kap win two only games in 2016 with Chip Kelly I wasn't surprised. Calling for Kap now is beyond silly.

Yes Mullens had surgery, think it was Tommy John surgery and he could make some good long throws but like Jimmy, Kyle didn't use that option much as that wasn't their strength.

Be surprised if the 49ers opted for Baker as well and they are low down the waiver list anyway but Baker won't demand too much interest at the moment I don't think. I doubt the Jets would want him or the Rams as their playoff hopes look almost forlorn, having to win every remaining game to have any sort of shot. Maybe they will as the two Rams back ups are not good.

I think the Seahawks at home on a short week will be a tougher game for the 49ers than the game next week against the Buccs. As long as Purdy can hold it together reasonably, they are playing too well for the Buccs at the moment unless the Buccs can suddenly pick up their game.

TRENDING THREADS