• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 612 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
49ers were a disaster. At least CMC showed up. Early injuries didn't help. Had a feeling that Purdy would be caught eventually. He said after the game that the pain was excruciating. All the 49ers need is another long term QB injury. The Bosa injury was from another player being swung into him. Josh Johnson isn't an NFL QB, not sure why Shanahan kept bringing him back, probably just because he knew the scheme inside out. 49ers knew they were riding their luck with Purdy and it was good while it lasted but their QB situation is no clearer now for next season. 49ers stacked roster will keep getting thinned out as contracts become due and players all want to be paid. Three NFC title games in four years is good but their veteran players are getting no younger and they already lost key pieces off their O line and defense this season with Tomlinson and DJ Jones because they couldn'y pay them all. Their window won't stay open too much longer. Just ask Green Bay and the Rams or the Colts. They lost Staley and Mack to retirement. Trent Williams won't be around for too much longer.

HMM, I didn't see the lop-sided officiating that others are referring to, and honestly I didn't care which team won. There was the big flub up, but it got sorted out correctly. The hit on JB that was mentioned above was so close that it would have been a bad call either way (erroring on the side of a no call was best, IMO).

EDIT: we get to see each penalty replayed at least once, and none of them seemed 'wrong' to me.

From CIN news:
https://www.wcpo.com/sports/football/bengals/heres-why-the-chiefs-got-to-redo-their-third-down

All of those were correct calls, IMO. JB could be called for grounding more often when he throws at the back of the O line , IMO.

Jones, MVS, Mahomes, Butker, game balls.

SF playing QB4! I don't even know what to say. The PHI rush was really good, especially early, which lead to QB3's injury.

PHI and KC in 2 weeks!

Last edited:
Chiefs also had their top 3 receivers get injured during the game, while not as bad as the oline getting hurt still adds up on top of Mahomes injury. The only time it looked like his it affected him was on that roll out to the left and some hits. The biggest noncall was Kelce’s push off for a touchdown on fourth and one. They only showed that angle once but the defender was chest to chest with Kelce and Kelce full extended pushed him away. Burrows intentional grounding was a 100%, but Mahomes did the same thing a couple plays later with no call. The Bengals still had opportunities to win and couldn’t cash in with their mistakes. Just like Chiefs had some bad mistakes that almost went the other way, especially that Kelce lateral. It should be a very close game in the Super Bowl.

Mahomes and the Chiefs are on a 2001-2005 Patriot run to start their dynasty but bettering it by getting to 3 Super Bowls and 5 AFCCG vs 3 Super Bowl wins, missing playoffs, and out in the divisional round.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt
I am always happy to hear stories and see photos of 325+ pound NLF players when they were 8 or 9..Jr High and they looked like a skinny talented smiling kid.
So the best keep going.. If lucky play in college and then a teaspoon of those ultra talented find jobs as a pro..watching the 49ers and seeing a scenario were Christian Mc Caffrey started doing an emergency refresher on how to call the plays as a quarterback.. Would be curious to see when he stopped being a quarterback and started to specialize..For all the wrong reasons I was really looking forward to seeing him play QB..

KC-Bengals was a good a game as anyone could expect. The people doing commentary paid multiple compliments to Joseph Ossai on the series right before game losing penalty.. a kind of curse..
I am still going with Eagles in the end.

Reactions: jmdirt
Chiefs also had their top 3 receivers get injured during the game, while not as bad as the oline getting hurt still adds up on top of Mahomes injury. The only time it looked like his it affected him was on that roll out to the left and some hits. The biggest noncall was Kelce’s push off for a touchdown on fourth and one. They only showed that angle once but the defender was chest to chest with Kelce and Kelce full extended pushed him away. Burrows intentional grounding was a 100%, but Mahomes did the same thing a couple plays later with no call. The Bengals still had opportunities to win and couldn’t cash in with their mistakes. Just like Chiefs had some bad mistakes that almost went the other way, especially that Kelce lateral. It should be a very close game in the Super Bowl.

Mahomes and the Chiefs are on a 2001-2005 Patriot run to start their dynasty but bettering it by getting to 3 Super Bowls and 5 AFCCG vs 3 Super Bowl wins, missing playoffs, and out in the divisional round.
Not at all, they hardly brushed. The DB didn't even protest.
Start at 27 seconds.

Reactions: Oldermanish
No more or less of a personal foul than the RTP that was missed against Burrow minutes earlier. Intentional or not the refs put their thumb on the scale in this one and it made the difference.

The injury also had little impact on proceedings. Certainly not any more than the entire Bengals OL being second stringers.
RTP on Burrow? He did have a convincing flop. No, the hit on Mahomes was plain stupid and obvious. In reality Butger would have made a field goal from the pre-penalty spot IMO.

I'm having to search pretty deep in my memory to recall a game where the outcome wasn't as altered by the officiating as this one. Bad calls happen almost every game, and that last UR on Ossai penalty was valid. But the Bengals got the short end of the stick. There are past games where one very costly bad call or no-call changes the game (Rams-Saints 2019 NFC championship). But to have several questionable calls go against one team, usually at the worst possible time? That was just bad. Like Super Bowl XL bad. This is going to be talked about and discussed for some time (unless you're from KC, or a Chiefs fan).

First game was just about over when Purdy was hurt. Completely over when Jefferson was hurt. But the Eagles did play a steady game to win. And the 49ers didn't.
The Ossai penalty is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen at the level of football. Where was his head? It certainly wasn't in the game drilling Mahomes like that way out of bounds (reminds of the time Brian Bosworth drilled Elway out of bounds in a game back in 87). You would thought he never played in a big game before.
So, one play...one player...completely changed the dynamics of the game moving the ball up 15 yds & turning what would have been a difficult FG attempt to a chip-shot game winning FG.

And what can you say about the Gunslinger. Marvelous performance on that injured ankle (326 yds & 3 TDs). Clearly no way near 100% but what toughness & perseverance he again demonstrated (plus a great tape job & probably some kind of pre-game pain med). But let's face it a 80% Mahomes is probably better than 100% of most QBs in the league. He's made Reid look very good.

3 AFC championships out of the last 4 years!

Btw, that ESPN computer is looking pretty smart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldermanish
I am always happy to hear stories and see photos of 325+ pound NLF players when they were 8 or 9..Jr High and they looked like a skinny talented smiling kid.
So the best keep going.. If lucky play in college and then a teaspoon of those ultra talented find jobs as a pro..watching the 49ers and seeing a scenario were Christian Mc Caffrey started doing an emergency refresher on how to call the plays as a quarterback.. Would be curious to see when he stopped being a quarterback and started to specialize..For all the wrong reasons I was really looking forward to seeing him play QB..
Christian Mac never played QB that I'm aware of. The McCaffrey brothers all attended Valor Christian HS - a football super power located in the South metro of Denver about 15 miles from where I live. I followed the McCaffrey's throughout their HS careers.

Christian is the shortest of the brothers & the only one not over 6 ft (Eddy Mac is 6-5). Christian was a rushing machine at Valor setting all kinds of state rushing records & a 100m sprint champ - so there was never any question about his running talent (he was a 4-star who accepted a scholarship to Stanford where his dad played at).

The QBs in the family are Dylan (6-5) who was a 5-star recruit & accepted a scholarship to play for Harbaugh at Michigan. But he didn't make it as a starter there & ended up transferring to the Univ of N. Colo where he played for his dad. Luke (6-2) is the starting QB for Rice after transferring from Nebraska last year. Who knows- maybe Christian could have been a dual-threat QB. He's undersized at 5-11, but so is Murray.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
49ers...window won't stay open too much longer. Just ask Green Bay and the Rams or the Colts.
Do you feel that way about Kansas City? New England seemed to be able to do it for years. Pittsburgh hasn't had a SB in a while, but they also haven't had a losing season in aeons.

I bring this up because media pundits like to talk about that mirage of a window. Same thing about Buffalo: Oh no, their window is closing! I call BS on it. If it were true, then an inverted window would have opened for Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, NY Jets, and any number of other teams at this point. Key player losses can hurt, of course, and have to be balanced, but I don't buy the whole "window" thing. San Francisco's "window" in theory was closing 2020, when they finished 6-10. This year they had no QB, right? People were saying their season was rebuilding anyway, which is why Lance was starting. He gets hurt, they win, and Jimmy makes it all seem possible. He's hurt, it's all over. So no, I see no window. SF has a damn good org, and I expect them to be good, and even a SB contender off and on for some years, unless ownership mucks it up like so many do. There's already talk by some to get Brady there for next year "before the window closes". That's a perfect example of what I mean. I suppose that could in theory close an invisible window if the did that.
HMM, I didn't see the lop-sided officiating that others are referring to.
Numerous, numerous article today, even from legit sources, writing about it. I'm not going to bother linking, or re-listing. Don't care enough. Maybe a Bengals fan around here wants to dig it up.

Chiefs won, bad calls or non-calls. Game over. SB in two weeks.
The Ossai penalty is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen at the level of football. Where was his head?
I slightly disagree. I think he was trying to make a play at maximum effort, and got lost on his location. And he's a rookie. One NFL exec (anonymous) today said he felt Mahomes flopped. Well, players flop. Punters flop every other play. But it was still a penalty. I've definitely seen worse. How many times have we seen a team line up trying to get the other side to jump, everyone knows it, yet a defensive player bites anyway? Giving the offense a first down? Those are just incredibly dumb. But it was costly considering the timing, yes, for sure.

SI has an article about this weekend's games about penalties and rules. Two keys they brought up were there are so many 15 yard unnecessary rougness, roughing the passer, personal foul calls were implemented years ago, during the days of players like Dick Butkis, Mike Curtis, Conrad Dobler, Lyle Alzado, etc. to prevent guys from maiming someone every other play. Yet now, that same 15 yard penalty is called when someone is bumped in the head. The NFL could easily split the penalty in two. That is, some of these run of the mill, almost accidental hits, could be 5 yards and an automatic first down. Or just 5 yards. While the rough stuff would still be 15, or 15 plus an automatic first down. Not sure where that last hit by Ossai would have fit.

Brady Quinn brought something up also. Years ago there was only a 45 man roster. But the NFL voted to allow one extra player, making it 46, as long as that player was a QB. At a CBA they voted to just make rosters 46, and teams went back to just carrying two QBs almost always. SF would have lost anyway, but...

Years ago Bill Walsh said something I read Howie Long elaborate on. That is, I'm in favor of a larger roster for every team, even if most of those players have to sit on a practice squad, and/or could be signed by another team at any given time. When the pandemic hit the league bumped practice squads from 15-16 players. I think there were seasonal limits they also wiped away. This could easily be doubled. Certainly if practice squad guys are paid weekly. It's currently around $11k to $15k per player. That's it. Too much greed by owners have prevented this from happening apparently.

Btw, that ESPN computer is looking pretty smart.
Really went out on a limb didn't it? Picking the #1 seed from each conference to play one another. No one expected that. Many, in fact most, humans likely picked the same. And this was the same computer that had Dallas beating SF.

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt
Do you feel that way about Kansas City? New England seemed to be able to do it for years. Pittsburgh hasn't had a SB in a while, but they also haven't had a losing season in aeons.

I bring this up because media pundits like to talk about that mirage of a window. Same thing about Buffalo: Oh no, their window is closing! I call BS on it. If it were true, then an inverted window would have opened for Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, NY Jets, and any number of other teams at this point. Key player losses can hurt, of course, and have to be balanced, but I don't buy the whole "window" thing. San Francisco's "window" in theory was closing 2020, when they finished 6-10. This year they had no QB, right? People were saying their season was rebuilding anyway, which is why Lance was starting. He gets hurt, they win, and Jimmy makes it all seem possible. He's hurt, it's all over. So no, I see no window. SF has a damn good org, and I expect them to be good, and even a SB contender off and on for some years, unless ownership mucks it up like so many do. There's already talk by some to get Brady there for next year "before the window closes". That's a perfect example of what I mean. I suppose that could in theory close an invisible window if the did that.

Numerous, numerous article today, even from legit sources, writing about it. I'm not going to bother linking, or re-listing. Don't care enough. Maybe a Bengals fan around here wants to dig it up.

Chiefs won, bad calls or non-calls. Game over. SB in two weeks.

I slightly disagree. I think he was trying to make a play at maximum effort, and got lost on his location. And he's a rookie. One NFL exec (anonymous) today said he felt Mahomes flopped. Well, players flop. Punters flop every other play. But it was still a penalty. I've definitely seen worse. How many times have we seen a team line up trying to get the other side to jump, everyone knows it, yet a defensive player bites anyway? Giving the offense a first down? Those are just incredibly dumb. But it was costly considering the timing, yes, for sure.

SI has an article about this weekend's games about penalties and rules. Two keys they brought up were there are so many 15 yard unnecessary rougness, roughing the passer, personal foul calls were implemented years ago, during the days of players like Dick Butkis, Mike Curtis, Conrad Dobler, Lyle Alzado, etc. to prevent guys from maiming someone every other play. Yet now, that same 15 yard penalty is called when someone is bumped in the head. The NFL could easily split the penalty in two. That is, some of these run of the mill, almost accidental hits, could be 5 yards and an automatic first down. Or just 5 yards. While the rough stuff would still be 15, or 15 plus an automatic first down. Not sure where that last hit by Ossai would have fit.

Brady Quinn brought something up also. Years ago there was only a 45 man roster. But the NFL voted to allow one extra player, making it 46, as long as that player was a QB. At a CBA they voted to just make rosters 46, and teams went back to just carrying two QBs almost always. SF would have lost anyway, but...

Years ago Bill Walsh said something I read Howie Long elaborate on. That is, I'm in favor of a larger roster for every team, even if most of those players have to sit on a practice squad, and/or could be signed by another team at any given time. When the pandemic hit the league bumped practice squads from 15-16 players. I think there were seasonal limits they also wiped away. This could easily be doubled. Certainly if practice squad guys are paid weekly. It's currently around $11k to $15k per player. That's it. Too much greed by owners have prevented this from happening apparently.

Really went out on a limb didn't it? Picking the #1 seed from each conference to play one another. No one expected that. Many, in fact most, humans likely picked the same. And this was the same computer that had Dallas beating SF.
I agree, the 'window' rhetoric isn't how I view it either. It does tie in with the slow-rapid rot that we discussed just upthread though if you over pay a few players. Good organizations find ways to make it work and have a HUGE window (I think that there are several teams in the league who will have big windows). The window only gets smaller and/or closes when organizations try to sit on a roster for too long without drafting or trading well, as overpaid 35ers move on for one more payday.

As we have discussed, I'm all for adding 5+ game day roster spots and unlimited practice squad spots because it could make the game better. You are right though, the billionaires want to make as much as they can.

I will repeat myself here, but every penalty that was called in the 4th quarter (really the game) was the correct call based on the rules. The big flub up looked horrible, but was called correctly. You said it best though, it doesn't matter now...on to the SB!

If you want to talk about penalties changing, how about high stepping past another player while talking a little smack gets you 15 yards now.

Not at all, they hardly brushed. The DB didn't even protest.
Start at 27 seconds.
The corner was about to be on top of Kelce with their shoulders alongside each other, and you can even see Kelce’s left shoulder pad and the corner’s right shoulder pad move slowed down before the hands contact. Both of Kelce’s arms went from being bent and his hands up by his chin to fully extended pushing the corner away from him and moving the corner’s hands away. Were they about to hand fight and Kelce won? Yes. But Kelce then full extended his arms when they were bent up and pushed the defender away. While we didn’t see the DB complain, we do see him talking and upset with someone. We just don’t know who.
But if the corner doesn’t get pushed away a flag will probably be thrown for where his hands were.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Full tear on Purdy's UCL. He's going to either require some form of grafting repair surgery, or a full Tommy John reconstruction. The former would have him out for 5-7 months, meaning he'd be back in camp. The latter? He would likely miss all of the 2023 season.

It should be known that a few NFL players have had Tommy John surgery. In baseball, pitchers often come back with more strength than they had before, a bionic arm. Not so much in the NFL, as many passes require more finesse, and less raw power. Imagine an MLB player who is a breaking ball specialist, or someone like Jamie Moyer, who had 3 different change-ups. Could it help on deep bombs and fly patters? The health means a lot more.

Full tear on Purdy's UCL. He's going to either require some form of grafting repair surgery, or a full Tommy John reconstruction. The former would have him out for 5-7 months, meaning he'd be back in camp. The latter? He would likely miss all of the 2023 season.

It should be known that a few NFL players have had Tommy John surgery. In baseball, pitchers often come back with more strength than they had before, a bionic arm. Not so much in the NFL, as many passes require more finesse, and less raw power. Imagine an MLB player who is a breaking ball specialist, or someone like Jamie Moyer, who had 3 different change-ups. Could it help on deep bombs and fly patters? The health means a lot more.
Wow and he went back out to play. Terrible finish to the start of his career.

49ers can't take a trick with their QBs it seems. The chances of Jimmy returning now have taken a leap unless the 49ers damn the torpedoes and go full on Lance who has had three injuries in four games...........amazing how one game can change a team's strategy for an entire season. It seems that Allen got lucky with his injury unlike Purdy.And if Jimmy goes they will need a good veteran back up QB at least, a cheaper one than Jimmy. I thought the 49ers were a little quick to get rid of the rookie Eason but they can't keep five QBs on the roster after all and he has played less than Purdy and Lance. at least the 49ers will get quite a few compensatory picks in the next draft which is something, even more when they lose Demeco Ryans which is just a matter of time.

Flopping is ingrained in sports now especially sports where betting was always involved like boxing and horse racing then it became obvious in soccer as well and now you can bet on everything. It was easy for a boxer to take a dive or to pull a horse up or put it in a bad position. on purpose. It's not so prevalent in the NFL although sometimes its so obvious its comical. Tennis also now with the multiple toilet breaks and medical timeouts often the the player involved is getting beaten and miraculously improves after having a nice rest and getting some more coaching from the stands, has also become comical.The NFL rule changes have just enabled flopping as if the floppers needed more help..........now for many referees, close enough is good enough when it comes to QB hits or punter hits and the awarding of penalties and veteran defenders just roll their eyes. Still amazing to see players often late hitting on sideline plays, its a penalty just about every time. even a nudge.

He didn't get lost in his location - he simply drilled him out of bounds to send a message to Mahomes. That's a 265 lb LB with 4.6 speed coming full-throttle at you. Watch the slow mo video of this. Mahomes is clearly out of bounds by 2 to 3 yds before being drilled. An NFL exec said Mahomes "flopped?" WTH? - is he high or something? Lol. Notice there's a bench or structure of some sort that Mahomes almost crashes into - a recipe for disaster.

View: https://youtu.be/3gxSv8X9Qbg

Even though Ossai is a rookie, he should know better than to touch a QB out of bounds. He played at Texas & and I'm sure they have top LB coaches that instill in these guys not to hit the QB once they're out of bounds.

Pratt definitely not happy with Ossai:

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/ericsports/status/1619903833878188032/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1619903833878188032&currentTweetUser=ericsports

Last edited:
Reactions: movingtarget
Kellen Moore to LAC. This has the potential to be a great match with Moore and Herbert. They already know each other because they do commercials for a regional auto dealer (Vander Esch is with them in the commercials too). If Moore was born with Herbert's body, he would be the best QB in the NFL, now maybe the combo of the two can become that.

Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
The corner was about to be on top of Kelce with their shoulders alongside each other, and you can even see Kelce’s left shoulder pad and the corner’s right shoulder pad move slowed down before the hands contact. Both of Kelce’s arms went from being bent and his hands up by his chin to fully extended pushing the corner away from him and moving the corner’s hands away. Were they about to hand fight and Kelce won? Yes. But Kelce then full extended his arms when they were bent up and pushed the defender away. While we didn’t see the DB complain, we do see him talking and upset with someone. We just don’t know who.
But if the corner doesn’t get pushed away a flag will probably be thrown for where his hands were.
We are clearly talking about a different play.
TK ran past the DB, they barely touch each other as the DB came into him as TK slowed, neither arm pushes off, and one is even next to his side just before he steps right to jump and catch the ball. The DB doesn't even move back/away, he just keeps going in the direction that he was running due to his own momentum. The separation comes from TK taking a step to the right before jumping to catch the ball.

Last edited:
Flopping is ingrained in sports now especially sports where betting was always involved like boxing and horse racing then it became obvious in soccer as well and now you can bet on everything. It was easy for a boxer to take a dive or to pull a horse up or put it in a bad position. on purpose. It's not so prevalent in the NFL although sometimes its so obvious its comical. Tennis also now with the multiple toilet breaks and medical timeouts often the the player involved is getting beaten and miraculously improves after having a nice rest and getting some more coaching from the stands, has also become comical.The NFL rule changes have just enabled flopping as if the floppers needed more help..........now for many referees, close enough is good enough when it comes to QB hits or punter hits and the awarding of penalties and veteran defenders just roll their eyes. Still amazing to see players often late hitting on sideline plays, its a penalty just about every time. even a nudge.
Its called the Reggie Miller in the NBA.

TRENDING THREADS