• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Greed is out of control in the US. But the NFL has the most revenue sharing and spending restrictions of all major sports (sans MLS). Compare it's structure to MLB or the NBA. While the NFL has scandals, it also has a very active commissioner who has helped the sport grow, change and move forward. As I said before, pretend Pat McQuaid were running the NFL...

As to the Chargers, I still think they are the best bet to move (back) to LA. And when that happens fans will point to Norv, Rivers, and this game will make a highlight reel.

SEA at SF - Niners bounce back in a close game.
TEN at BUF - Bills back to losing ways.
CLE at IND - Luck gets Fiesta Bowl revenge.
GB at STL - Rams not bad, but GB on the move.
ARI at MIN - Cards moving wrong way.
WSH at NYG - RGIII will struggle against stellar Giants D at home.
NO at TB - Saints playing better. TB still weak.
DAL at CAR - Which Cowboy team shows up?
BAL at HOU Went with home team, but Texas could stumble.
JAC at OAK - Crummy game of the week indeed.
NYJ at NE - Lock of the week. Jets are Pats whipping boy.
PIT at CIN - Both teams struggling some, but Steelers too many injuries.
DET at CHI- Lions playing better, but Bears better team.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Rivers did not wear pink? I did not notice. I did notice the cheerleaders wearing pink! :D

So, I don't think we have seen the end of Ray Lewis (either later this year or next year), who's a lock for a first ballot entry to the HOF in 5 years following his retirement.

He absolutely didn't. If you want to know why that annoyed me so much, go read my story in the 'How long did you support LA' topic in the Clinic. (You too, Foxxy);)

I sure hope you're right about Ray returning, he's simply part of the game, can't imagine him no longer being there.....shouldn't even have to wait the five years!:p

SEA at SF - Could easily go either way, but I expect the Niners to make up for last week with a vengeance.
TEN at BUF - BUF, I guess...just.
CLE at IND - Lots of last week's facial egg to be removed by Luck & Co.
GB at STL - Lock of the week, indeed. Watch for the home win shut out. :p
ARI at MIN - Vikings also need to atone..
WSH at NYG - Giants should be nailed on with Eli vs. Skins secondary, but I believe in miracles!
NO at TB - Nomally this would be a lock, but this season....?
DAL at CAR - Pressure on Cowboys will be immense...can they cope?
BAL at HOU - Despite decimated BAL defense, I'll go for my other team.
JAC at OAK - Meh, home advantage
NYJ at NE - NE should murder the Jets after last week.
PIT at CIN - Could totally go either way, I'll punt on home advantage.
DET at CHI - ? Despite somewhat of a Lions resurgence, I think da Bears are too good.

That was a tough game. I thought it was interesting the way the commentators were comparing the Hawks defense to the old Steelers. The way the DB's were so physical, but the run D couldn't stop Frank Gore. However, considering how young Seattle is as a team, this defense is going to spell trouble for a lot of teams in maybe years to come.

I don't know that it's Kellen Winslow, but the Seahwks need better receivers period. And a Darren Sproles type 3rd down back that can catch the ball and move. Can Wilson consistently find his guys though? That's a question as well.

I'm still not sold on the 49ers winning the SB. I still think Seattle (and maybe Arizona) have a chance to win the NFC West actually. I still think Alex Smith is mostly a serviceable, control offense QB, that's it. Their OL can't pass protect well enough, and they can't come from behind to win (witness loss to NYG). They're good. They have a very good D, and can run, but they look like an early playoff exit team to me.

Good, short article on last night's game by Michael Lombardi. He addresses Smith's passing problems, touches on SF's overconfidence (that I mentioned), and questions Russell Wilson being too short of a QB being the issue in Seattle.

Alpe d'Huez said:
That was a tough game. I thought it was interesting the way the commentators were comparing the Hawks defense to the old Steelers. The way the DB's were so physical, but the run D couldn't stop Frank Gore. However, considering how young Seattle is as a team, this defense is going to spell trouble for a lot of teams in maybe years to come.

I don't know that it's Kellen Winslow, but the Seahwks need better receivers period. ... Can Wilson consistently find his guys though? That's a question as well.

I'm still not sold on the 49ers winning the SB. I still think Seattle (and maybe Arizona) have a chance to win the NFC West actually. I still think Alex Smith is mostly a serviceable, ...

Bingo, bingo, bingo and... bingo.

After the game Jim Harbaugh was telling his team in the locker room that was the most physical 30 minutes (second half) he's ever seen his team play. This game was a real slugfest. First half, Hawks won the slugout. Second half, 9ers won the slugout. What helped the 9ers win the slugout in the second half is the adjustments they made... running more traps and dives, quick hitting runs, and short dump off passes (check downs) to back coming out of the backfield, rather than trying to force balls downfield into a stingy Hawk secondary. Going downfield was not working for the 9ers in the first half. The effect the running attack had on Seattle was that it wore them out. Backers for Hawks were mostly not hitting the gaps and were being met 3 or 4 yards downfield by pulling OLmen, etc...

What I like about 9ers & Hawks in same division, is like iron sharpening iron. If that was the most physcial the 9ers have played in 30 minutes, they showed Seattle what it will take to beat the other. Both teams will make each other better. And what's not to like about that? Hats off to 9ers for getting it done last night. But I can't wait for the rematch in Seattle!

I've been thinking, the next draft Seattle needs to focus on WRs and OL, and in that order. Seattle needs big time WR to match up with Sydney Rice, but someone who's a good route runner, not just a speed guy. Both route running ability and speed in one guy would be nice. RG and RT for Seattle are average, and 9ers really exposed RT Giacomini's weakness. And then in this league I'd pick up an extra corner and/or safety for depth, nickel, and dime.

On Wilson, my thought is he can become someone like Brees, but he's not there yet. He has all the necessary physcial tools and leadership abilities, but the mental part of his game is not close to Brees yet. But I think he can get to that level. Not this year, but by his 3rd season I think he can.

Smith is fine as long as they have a lead or are in the game. If 9ers get down by too many points I have as much confidence in him as I do Romo. Not much.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Ok, it's RG3 time.:D

His current stats are -

Pass yds 1,343 5 TDs

Rush 379 yds 6 TDs

How many and which of Cam Newton's many records does he have a serious shot at breaking?

1) First rookie in NFL history to throw for 10 touchdowns and run for 10 touchdowns in a season.

2) Most total touchdowns by a rookie NFL player: 35 (21 pass, 14 rush).

3) Most rushing yards by a rookie quarterback: 706

4) Most rushing touchdowns in a single season by a quarterback: 14

5) First player in NFL history with 4,000+ pass yards and 10+ rush TDs in a season.

6) First player in NFL history with 4,000+ pass yards and 500+ rush yards in a season.

I reckon that 1 and 3 are pretty much nailed on, maybe a shot at 4. What do you all think?

I don't see RGIII getting paydirt with is feet that much (rushing TD's). I actually see him running less as the season progresses. And to top that off, I think he's going to have his worst game this coming week against a very focused and healthy Giants team preparing for him.

Agree that games like last night's will make both teams better. Especially Seattle who is young.

I'm going to change two of my picks I think...maybe. Will reply again if I do.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I don't see RGIII getting paydirt with is feet that much (rushing TD's). I actually see him running less as the season progresses. And to top that off, I think he's going to have his worst game this coming week against a very focused and healthy Giants team preparing for him.

You sure know how to p!ss on someone's party.:rolleyes:

Let's pretend I never asked you. Next...

;)

Next? Well, okay.

I think the Ravens have a good chance at beating the Texans and may change my pick. Why? Because the Ravens defense wasn't playing well before Lewis (and Webb) got hurt. So, are they going to be that much worse? Also, Houston's long-ball pass defense was just exposed by Green Bay. Guess what? The Ravens throw the ball down the field more than any team in the NFL. They are actually now a high powered offensive team, not a defensive one.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Manning did another comeback. Yeah sure, as always. One man alone did a wonder again.
I am tired of that stuff. Tired of those "to good to be true" american hero BS. Especially after the Pharmstrong meltdown.

W/o seeing the game*, solely looking at the stats and story, it seems it was a TEAM effort by the D forcing 6 (?) turnovers, WR´s catching balls, the OL protecting the QB to throw the ball, a maybe Prevent-Defense** by SD, and so on...

* I have the feeling i am done with NFL football. I don´t know what´s wrong with me, but so far i am not infected at all by football hype this year. It just don´t feel right. Like it was back in 1990 when i stopped watching cycling for 7 years. To top it off, now the Nike gangsters & Liestrong sponsor a college game. And nobody cares. What a arrogant, decadent way of living. Don´t you US citizens feel disgusted sometimes. Is there any morality left?

** You know guys, the only thing that prevent defense does, is preventing you from winning (long ago quote by an unknown NFL-Player). ;)

So guys, hope i didn´t disturped the party too much. But i had to say those things. They are swelling inside me for long. It was time to get them out.

May i´ll be back, may not. I´ll post sometimes here, will have my beers at the sportsbar, but i don´t think i am involved much to watch games. Last week almost all the time we talked at the bar instead of watching the games, so i completely missed the RG3 injury for example...

Now I understand you. But it took me a little extra help. It's a nice change to see morality run through your every fiber. We all need some of that. I am not joking or being sarcastic.

Now, about the Nike gangsters.... at least they have fired Lance since your last post about this. As have numerous other would be gangsters (Michelob/ An.-Busch, and a few others I don't recall at the moment). Maybe that is some consolation?

Looking forward to your next post here.

If it makes you feel any better, later today I will be in a sports bar with about 10 Giants and Eli fans. I will be the lone voice cheering my heart out for RGIII and your Skins.

Lots of Eagles, Jets and Pats fans there too. So can probably guess how that bodes for me.

This week I managed to see the NFL Films A Football Life on Steve McNair. I never really knew much about the guy, but almost no one did it seems, he was so quiet and introverted. His death was so shocking and seemed so surreal at the time. And hearing about it again, three years later hasn't changed that.

But I didn't know just how tough he was, how many serious injuries he played through. And I didn't know just how much he did for others. His free camps for poor kids were attended by a young Vince Young and a young Cam Newton among many others. And despite how he died, his family and family still loved him dearly.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
If it makes you feel any better, later today I will be in a sports bar with about 10 Giants and Eli fans. I will be the lone voice cheering my heart out for RGIII and your Skins.

Lots of Eagles, Jets and Pats fans there too. So can probably guess how that bodes for me.

don't forget there's one here as well!

Been reading but not really had time to post due to work. Got to say you get value as a Giants Fan. Every game has had its twists and turns this season. They needed a win today having lost to Philly and Dallas.

If RGIII stays healthy then the Redskins have a real chance of being THE team in the NFC East in the coming years.

Alpe d'Huez said:

Hope you wore body armor! :D

Lots of great games today:
- Ten 35 Buf 34
- Ind 17 Cle 13
- NYG 27 Wsh 23
- NO 35 Tamp 28
- Dal 19 Car 14
- Oak 26 Jax 23 in OT
- NE 29 Jets 26 in OT

But Houston completely dismantled the Raves. I expected Houston to win, but not by that kind of a blowout. Ravens are a team in trouble. They are not playing great defense (even with Suggs back playing pretty well) and are not putting up points. Credit Houston's defense for really getting after Flacco.

9-2 so far even while picking Seattle, but I think some of you guys are at least 10-1.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
on3m@n@rmy said:
Hope you wore body armor! :D

Lots of great games today:
- Ten 35 Buf 34
- Ind 17 Cle 13
- NYG 27 Wsh 23
- NO 35 Tamp 28
- Dal 19 Car 14
- Oak 26 Jax 23 in OT
- NE 29 Jets 26 in OT

But Houston completely dismantled the Raves. I expected Houston to win, but not by that kind of a blowout. Ravens are a team in trouble. They are not playing great defense (even with Suggs back playing pretty well) and are not putting up points. Credit Houston's defense for really getting after Flacco.

9-2 so far even while picking Seattle, but I think some of you guys are at least 10-1.

Not those of us who went for the Skins and Ravens...and Panthers....and Bills.:eek:

But yes, lots of very exciting games. The Skins had five turnovers all season till today, but gave away four in the second half! Even so, RG3 might have pulled it out of the bag in the dying seconds if Santana Moss hadn't fumbled. Skins fans are hoping that maybe we can build a team to support this magnificent kid before he's old enough to retire. Of course, it doesn't help when every experienced receiver and safety is injured, and when your entire defense sucks. *facepalm*

Somehow I'm 11-0!

Two bad fumbles really hurt the Skins. But even with that, and Garçon out, they almost won anyway. I have to think the Giants must feel like they really escaped something today. But the Skins shouldn't feel too bad. You can almost see them being quite good in just a few short years, like, maybe next year.

My stock is back up in Houston. Last week's schelacking at the hands of the Packers may have been a one-off. I too thought they'd win, but I didn't expect them to be so dominant on both sides of the ball.

The Pats are simply not the team everyone (me) thought they'd be. Their defense is a bit better than last year, but they just aren't clicking on offense like in the past.

Luck takes the Colts to a win over the Browns, but Weeden outplayed him.

Vikings continue solid wins on Petersons legs. But Arizona now 4-3 after starting 4-0.

Speaking of legs, Chris Johnson finally earned a paycheck with his, but it took playing the defenseless Bills to do it.

Green Bay is however looking better. Two good wins in a row where their offense has played like last year, and the defense steady as well.

The Saints escaped a loss at TB as well. One can only wonder what Joe Vitt can bring upon his return. Word is that the Saints are going to appeal Sean Payton's suspension to Paul Taglibou. BTW, good call by Goddell removing himself from Bountygate and putting Paul in there.

Amsterhammer said:
Ok, it's RG3 time.:D

His current stats are -

Pass yds 1,343 5 TDs

Rush 379 yds 6 TDs

How many and which of Cam Newton's many records does he have a serious shot at breaking?

1) First rookie in NFL history to throw for 10 touchdowns and run for 10 touchdowns in a season.

2) Most total touchdowns by a rookie NFL player: 35 (21 pass, 14 rush).

3) Most rushing yards by a rookie quarterback: 706

4) Most rushing touchdowns in a single season by a quarterback: 14

5) First player in NFL history with 4,000+ pass yards and 10+ rush TDs in a season.

6) First player in NFL history with 4,000+ pass yards and 500+ rush yards in a season.

I reckon that 1 and 3 are pretty much nailed on, maybe a shot at 4. What do you all think?

Okay, I'll bite. I don't think the rushing is going to be emphasized in their offense. Not if Shanahan wants to protect his QBs future. But he will take what other teams give him, and if that's scrambling 20 yards and sliding or going out of bounds then so be it. But I don't think they will try to feature him running. We'll see what happens though. I'm not one to pay much attention to records until they are about to fall. Especially at this point of the season. But he's definately got the tools.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Somehow I'm 11-0!

Speaking of legs, Chris Johnson finally earned a paycheck with his, but it took playing the defenseless Bills to do it.

sbiting_100-1081.gif

:)

I missed the Titans game. So did Johnson hit the holes full speed finally, and not dance around in the hole (what he was doing last time I watched them a couple weeks ago)?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
And as the final chapter was written, i want to thank Alpe, Hog, and RaceRadio again, of course. It was quite a roller coaster ride since i joined this great forum. I learned a lot from you all...
I thank all the people who were honest and straight (Simeoni, Lemond, Betsy, Vaughters, and all).
And i am not as bitter as Binotti, a guy who i really like... But i have to say that McQuaid isn´t that bad of a person as everybody thinks. I believe he just wanted to save face, but he was under pressure until the end b/c of Heini.
So at the end i made my peace with Mc Quaid, b/c i just believe him. The bad power behind all that mess were LA and Heini.
AMYWAY, I AM HAPPY JUSTICE WAS MADE and the guys at the top of UCI hold Heini in check. Guys, find your peace, not everybody is rotten to the core. The men just want to save face. That is life. I think it was a brave act for McQuaid to call it what it is.
Finally i am happy.

And a special hello to Alpe, i am back to football, b/c now i can belive in the truth again.
Thank you for all, it was a long hard fight.

I found my peace finally. I am happy.

PS: I am totally drunk because of celebrating this day, to write this post took me some time. :)
I´ll post this also in the NFL thread b/c you shall all know that at least one person is really feeling great today.
So excuse me for some grammar errors...

AP Power Rankings are up.

1. Atlanta - Only unbeaten team...for now.
2. NY Giants - Eeked out a win at Wash. Are they heading up, or down?
3. Houston - Demolition of Baltimore shows they are the best in the AFC.
4. San Francisco - I question their ability to beat top teams, but they're good.
5. Chicago - Simply solid playing behind excellent D.
6. Green Bay - Two impressive wins in a row make them a mover.
7. New England - Very unsteady. I'd rank them lower.
8. Baltimore - May bounce back, but Ray Lewis absence impossible to fill.
9. Denver - Great win over SD, but they're still just 3-3
10. Minnesota - Still not enough respect, even though 5-2.

Right now I have to like where Chicago, Green Bay and Denver sit. I also like the Steelers chances. They are currently 12. But have several players out, or playing hurt. A veteran, well coached team like this could be very dangerous in late December. The Seahawks are at 11, and I have to think a lot of teams are not going to want to play them in Seattle, or in the playoffs. On the outside I like Washington, and Miami too. NO has a chance to make a late year run.

I'm selling stock in New England. I've already sold everything in Arizona and San Diego. Now might be a time to dump Philly stock, if they aren't too low already at 14. Finger on the panic button already. NYG are now a "hold" for me, along with Atlanta, and Houston.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Tampa Bay @ Minnesota – Vikings at home should be too good

Miami @ New York Jets – I'd like to see the Fins take this
San Diego @ Cleveland – Have to go for the Bolts, though without confidence
Indianapolis @ Tennessee – Titans to edge it
New England @ St. Louis – Patriots should be one of this week's locks...I say, 'should be'
Jacksonville @ Green Bay – Absolute lock of the week
Atlanta @ Philadelphia – I particularly look forward to more Vick turnovers and an Eagles loss
Washington @ Pittsburgh – Steelers are certainly favorites, but we were close to that miracle last week....
Seattle @ Detroit – Seattle, though not with complete confidence.
Carolina @ Chicago – Da Bears look too good
Oakland @ Kansas City – Two crap teams, I'll go for home advantage, no other reason
New York Giants @ Dallas – Could be a thriller, Giants for me
New Orleans @ Denver – Will be an aerial thriller with Brees vs Manning, first team to 50 wins - Denver maybe edge it on defense
San Francisco @ Arizona – I believe that the Cardinals have peaked and go for SF

(I may change one or two of these after more thought....)

TRENDING THREADS