• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 217 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On3M@ should get credit for that wisdom in the quote. But that's cool. And in Seattleland, Kam Chancellor saving the Seahawks (their season?) was not lost upon Michael Bennett, who got on ESPN and stately flatly to Paul Allen to "pay him". And it seems a lot of people in the area agree (maybe on3M@ can verify?). Interesting because at the start of the season fans were very angry with Kam for sitting now. Now, he's playing without agreeing to a new deal, and playing at the highest level.

I agree there has been some real sloppy play this year by many teams. I can't entirely put my finger on it. Injuries are almost always a wash, though some teams like the Cowboys have been hit harder than others. New coaches and systems can be a culprit, but look at Dan Quinn in Atlanta, or Boles in New York. Now, maybe Quinn and Boles are coaches who are both a motivator that players love, and a bit of a disciplinarian who focuses on mistakes? Hard to say.

NFL looking to expand more internationally in the future, and I expect it to happen. Maybe not full teams, but more games for certain. Germany and Mexico are most likely. Might take a while to get to Cuba. ;)

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
After further review, it appears the Seahawks again benefitted from a missed call. When KJ Wright tapped the ball out of the end zone, it should have been the Lions ball on the 1 yard line. Joking or not, I almost feel like the is karma coming back to the Hawks after losing Super Bowl XL and all the calls that went against them. .
Seattle fan or sarcastic?

Seattle been getting a lot of controversial calls lately, some of the absolutely most ridiculous ones. Not just fail mary. There was a hillarious harvin one when he stepped out of bounds in sd where the video refs basically decided to ignore the video evidence to help their favourite team win (I can't find another explanation for how they didn't overturn that td). A similar thing two weeks ago when Seattle fumbled the punt return, clear as day on the video. Bears challenged but video refs had their Seahawks caps on again. The bowman interception in the championship game wasn't as bad (since video refs weren't in on it) but another example.

As for Seattle being unlucky because of the superbowl? I wanted them to win but failing to do so was 100% on Wilson and bevell and Carroll not on some luck factor. If you want to talk luck the fact that they were even on the 1 yard line was due to the fluke kearse catch. Nevermind the fact that Arizona losing both their Qbs and half their team by the time they played Seattle is what gave the seahawks the west. They then fluked some weird tiebreaker to get home field advantage and got to play the weakest team in the history of the playoffs (7-9 carolina) at home, while the two other 12-4 teams fought out a real playoff game. Thems the breaks, you might say, but you can't then claim Seahawks have been an unlucky team.

Let's not even get into the Nfc championship game. Never in the history of sport has every fluky thing that could possibly have gone right, gone right for a team.

You've got the wrong Super Bowl. The one I was referring to, Super Bowl XL, was where the Seahawks lost to the Steelers, and had numerous calls go against them. So much so the head referee later admitted his team's blown calls changed the outcome of the game. Yes, I do realize it's none of the same players. I was mostly having fun with the notion.

As to Kaepernick, this is Karma coming to the 49ers for sticking with Kaepernick and benching Alex Smith at the end of the 2012 season. ;)

But seriously, if you look at Kaep's stats, they are just abysmal. There's been lots of talk the last two years that he's a gym rat, and doesn't pay enough attention to the playbook, and maybe it's true. 62.1 percent completion rate, but most are short passes, 727 yards, which comes to just 181 per game. He's thrown only 2 TDs, against 5 INTs, for a 67.7 passer rating. At the rate he's going, he'll finish with: 2,908 yards, 8 TDs, 20 INTs. Yikes!

IND@HOU. Meanwhile, regardless of who the Colts start tonight, I'm taking the Texans. Both teams have problems, and should be better than their record, but in Houston, I went with them. Almost as alarming as Kaepernick's numbers are Andrew Luck's. I know he's been hurt, but he's barely completing over 50% of his passes, and is on pace to throw a whopping 35 INTs.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
You've got the wrong Super Bowl. The one I was referring to, Super Bowl XL, was where the Seahawks lost to the Steelers, and had numerous calls go against them. So much so the head referee later admitted his team's blown calls changed the outcome of the game. Yes, I do realize it's none of the same players. I was mostly having fun with the notion.

As to Kaepernick, this is Karma coming to the 49ers for sticking with Kaepernick and benching Alex Smith at the end of the 2012 season. ;)

But seriously, if you look at Kaep's stats, they are just abysmal. There's been lots of talk the last two years that he's a gym rat, and doesn't pay enough attention to the playbook, and maybe it's true. 62.1 percent completion rate, but most are short passes, 727 yards, which comes to just 181 per game. He's thrown only 2 TDs, against 5 INTs, for a 67.7 passer rating. At the rate he's going, he'll finish with: 2,908 yards, 8 TDs, 20 INTs. Yikes!

Yeah there were a lot of questionable calls in that Super Bowl. Generally the refs do make mistakes but at the end of the day the stuff usually balances out. Everyone gets lucky/unlucky once in a while.

As for Kaep, I'd say Jim Harbaugh leaving has hurt him quite a bit. I think teams have figured him out and I think the hype coming off the 2012 season was certainly unjustified but I don't think he would be this bad if Harbaugh stuck around. That and Alex Smith hasn't really set the world on fire in Kansas City although they have more problems on offense besides him.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Hasselbeck starts after a virus ridden week, Luck will not play. Despite that, I'll pick the Colts tonight. I think Houston is just too disappointing. Interesting stat - Colts have won 16 consecutive division games.

IND @ HOU

Last week's Skins' win was an unfortunate blip. I am confident that normal sucking will be resumed at Atlanta.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

IND@HOU. Meanwhile, regardless of who the Colts start tonight, I'm taking the Texans. Both teams have problems, and should be better than their record, but in Houston, I went with them. Almost as alarming as Kaepernick's numbers are Andrew Luck's. I know he's been hurt, but he's barely completing over 50% of his passes, and is on pace to throw a whopping 35 INTs.

Kaep looks better when he runs instead of passes which is strange for a QB. Compare him last week to Rogers and then to BIg Ben the week before and he looks like he is playing in a different position ! No one seems to think he will be benched for Gabbert anytime soon which could be bad news for the 49ers if his bad form continues. Some of his teammates were showing signs of frustration with him during the game but of course denied it later. 49ers defence looked a lot better against the Packers but their offense is terrible. They have scored one touchdown in two games and without Hayne's good punt return they probably would not have scored any. It seems the 49ers are making changes to their O line this week but are not saying who. They did well last time against Manning and the Giants with a very different team.

Good call to those of you who took Indy. I just didn't think a sick Matt Hassleback would play as well as he did. Even against a fairly tough defense, he looked very good. It makes you wonder why he sat on the bench the last several years after leading Seattle to a SB. Though the Texans were in it until that last, fatal throw by Hoyer, who played well otherwise. I can't help but think the job is his (again) next week. We'll see.

If I was picking I would have taken Indy. And no MMQB going on here, haha. Just that I would never bet against my (ex-Hawk) man Matt "Classy Hass" Hasselbeck. And he did it sicker than a dog. So, huge props to Matt. And it was great to see cheerleading Luck having so much fun on the sideline. It's pretty obvious he plays the game b/c he loves it.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

Oops. My bad.

Re:

Amsterhammer said:
Hasselbeck starts after a virus ridden week, Luck will not play. Despite that, I'll pick the Colts tonight. I think Houston is just too disappointing. Interesting stat - Colts have won 16 consecutive division games.

IND @ HOU.

Ha good pick if you chose it after luck announced he wasn't playing.

I had this as lock of the week for Houston. Was even worried it would be a blowout. Don't understand how Houston could be that pathetic.

I have more hope for jags, browns and raiders. And 49 ers. And any team in any sport. Houston was number 1 pick just last year, in a deep draft for quarterbacks and other players. And they choked harder than scobee last week. They can't even beat this beatup Indy team at home when healthy?

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
And in Seattleland, Kam Chancellor saving the Seahawks (their season?) was not lost upon Michael Bennett, who got on ESPN and stately flatly to Paul Allen to "pay him". And it seems a lot of people in the area agree (maybe on3M@ can verify?). Interesting because at the start of the season fans were very angry with Kam for sitting now. Now, he's playing without agreeing to a new deal, and playing at the highest level.

I agree there has been some real sloppy play this year by many teams. I can't entirely put my finger on it. Injuries are almost always a wash, though some teams like the Cowboys have been hit harder than others. New coaches and systems can be a culprit, but look at Dan Quinn in Atlanta, or Boles in New York. Now, maybe Quinn and Boles are coaches who are both a motivator that players love, and a bit of a disciplinarian who focuses on mistakes? Hard to say.

NFL looking to expand more internationally in the future, and I expect it to happen. Maybe not full teams, but more games for certain. Germany and Mexico are most likely. Might take a while to get to Cuba. ;)
starting from the bottom and working backwards, could we say if the any two of the Pats, Packers, or Indy played against each other in Cuba that we'd have another Cuban missile crisis? Actually, an event there would be great. Why not help out the economies down there?

On sloppy play, sloppiness is likely a combination of things. Injuries is one, which is exacerbated by subs who are not as good. I also think players are not in good enough football shape at the start of the season because of the lack of hitting in camp and preseason. Another might be the lack of necessary skills of the new players coming into the league, diluting the veteran talent. Either by coming out too young or by the way the game has changed over the last decade or more. One example of how the game has evolved, look at how many plays are bubble routes or hitch routes compared to years ago. Plays designed to get the ball out of the QBs hands quickly also means the offensive line does not have to hold blocks as long, which is going on at the collegiate level as well. So O-Linemen coming out of college may not as adept at blocking the run or the pass as they used to be.

On the video-bomb by Bennett during Kam's post-game interview and public perception about paying Kam, I'd have to go back a bit to paint the picture. First though, I do not have a finger on the pulse of the Pacific Northwest by any means. But I know a number of collegiate players and have spoken to them about the Kam holdout. You may be surprised that the players were actually harsher on the holdout than the general public, mainly because they better understand what it would feel like to be abandoned by a key player for a couple of games. Since Kam's return most people, players included, seem to have gotten over the holdout if they were opposed to it. I am one of those who have gotten over it, although I still think the holdout was a sack of poo, and that actual play proves the value... which brings us to Kam's play this week and Bennett's statement. I would have to agree on paying him, and I think many would also agree. That says something if I am agreeing, because I tend to be a type who'd say you should be bound to the contract you signed. But I also believe in merit pay. Heck, who in the real world would not like merit pay? For Seattle, the problem will be they will not be able to keep everyone. Bennett included. In the next offseason I will not be surprised if Seattle does not keep Mebane or Bennett.

Oh BTW, this diversion does not belong here, but nobody is reading the NCAA College FB or NBA threads, so mods delete if you want. But I've got to keep my "Did you say dog obedience training" avatar alive here a little longer after hearing that the U of Washington Huskies beat 17th-ranked Troy (USC) last night.

And then a bit of sicko news... Grizzlies forward Matt Barnes reportedly attacks Knicks coach Derek Fisher, who was discovered dating Barnes estranged wife, who Barnes filed for divorce from. Any way you slice it, this is just messed up.
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/...rtedly-attacks-knicks-coach-derek-fisher.html

on3m@n@rmy said:
If I was picking I would have taken Indy. And no MMQB going on here, haha. Just that I would never bet against my (ex-Hawk) man Matt "Classy Hass" Hasselbeck. And he did it sicker than a dog. So, huge props to Matt. And it was great to see cheerleading Luck having so much fun on the sideline. It's pretty obvious he plays the game b/c he loves it.
I've liked Luck since his 2nd season at Stanford because he seems like a nice kid who really loves playing the game (I know he played as a RS Frosh, but I didn't really 'notice' him until year two). If my memory serves me correctly, he was projected as the #1 pick but stayed at Stanford for one more year to make a run at the title.

Hard to believe we're a quarter through the season.

CHI@KC - Chiefs way too good to go 1-4
SEA@CIN - Seattle may be better than 2-3, but Bengals better, at home, stay unbeaten.
WAS@ATL - Cousins may be long term answer for Skins, but Falcons go to 5-0.
JAX@TB - Jaguars have more tools. Barely.
NO@PHI - Tough pick, as both teams have many problems.
CLE@BAL - Both teams 1-3, but Ravens much better talent, at home.
STL@GB - This game will be tougher than people realize. Rams almost have all pieces in place.
BUF@TEN - Mariotta not bad, but Bills go to 3-2.
ARI@DET - Cards offense feasts on Lions D.
NE@DAL - Pats will score over 40, easy. Some in Dallas want Cassell to play QB, but that's no solution.
DEN@OAK - Picked with my heart. Raiders have a chance here, but PM should beat their secondary.
SF@NYG - Giants are decent in all aspects of the game, and this offense suits Eli. 49ers in trouble.
PIT@SD - Steeler defense can't stop SD offense. Though extra days to prepare helps.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Hard to believe we're a quarter through the season.

CHI@KC - Chiefs way too good to go 1-4
SEA@CIN - Seattle may be better than 2-3, but Bengals better, at home, stay unbeaten.
WAS@ATL - Cousins may be long term answer for Skins, but Falcons go to 5-0.
JAX@TB - Jaguars have more tools. Barely.
NO@PHI - Tough pick, as both teams have many problems.
CLE@BAL - Both teams 1-3, but Ravens much better talent, at home.
STL@GB - This game will be tougher than people realize. Rams almost have all pieces in place.
BUF@TEN - Mariotta not bad, but Bills go to 3-2.
ARI@DET - Cards offense feasts on Lions D.
NE@DAL - Pats will score over 40, easy. Some in Dallas want Cassell to play QB, but that's no solution.
DEN@OAK - Picked with my heart. Raiders have a chance here, but PM should beat their secondary.
SF@NYG - Giants are decent in all aspects of the game, and this offense suits Eli. 49ers in trouble.
PIT@SD - Steeler defense can't stop SD offense. Though extra days to prepare helps.
They should have him play DB. As I've said already, Weeden has done a nice job, but D's D has not.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
IND @ HOU - off to a good start, at least
CHI @ KC - poor Bears.
SEA @ CIN - Hawks have not impressed at all
WSH @ ATL - Skins to resume real sucking again
JAX @ TB - could go either way
NO @ PHI - both teams awful so far, Iggles just with home field
CLE @ BAL - Ravens to finally fire
STL @ GB - Cheeseheads must be too good at Lambeau
BUF @ TEN - could go either way, Bills to edge it
ARI @ DET - Lions aren't that bad, but Cards should make amends for last week
NE @ DAL - this should be fun to watch
DEN @ OAK - another coin toss, Denver declining, Raiders improving
SF @ NYG - two seriously disappointing teams
PIT @ SD - home edge to Sandy Eggo

Fully agree on those SEA @ CIN calls. OFC now that the game is over and know CIN won, that's easier to say. I will say last year SEA was 3-3 at one point. (Just saying). But this season SEA is now at 2-3, are one no-call away from 1-4, AND this is not the same team as last year which had OLine issues, but this year's OLine is worse... even though the SEA OL did play better in the first half today.

Then there's Kam, who had a stellar game against a so-so team last Monday. Today he had two blown coverages that led to scores. So, is he still deserving of that payday he's been pushing for? But I can't point the finger entirely at Kam for the loss vs Cincy. Today was a total team loss: bad special teams, and inconsistent offense and defense. So even if Seattle was 3-3 at one point last year, Seattle Seahawks sure do not look like a playoff team to me this year so far.

Terry Bradshaw rails on Greg Hardy and Jerry Jones today over abusive behavior directed at women. Most will agree Hardy is an abuser. But Bradshaw says Jones is partly to blame as an enabler. I agree.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...865.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=tw

Have there ever been so many unbeaten teams this late in the season? It’s only week five, but six unbeaten teams is a lot. If the odds of winning a game are roughly 50-50, you would expect only one of 32 teams to go unbeaten after five games (though NE and Carolina have played only 4 games). Yes, I know, some teams are much better than 50-50 to win, but that cuts down the pool of candidates, too. If the odds of winning are 60-40, one would expect two of 32 teams to be unbeaten, but less than half of the 32 teams would have winning odds like that.

Eat your heart out, 49ers owners. While your team is one of the worst in the NFL, the coach who wasn’t good enough for you is actually exceeding the sky-high expectations that developed at Michigan when he was hired. The Wolverines have won five in a row, the last three by shutouts. The combined score in those five games is an absurd 160-14. They just destroyed previously undefeated and 18th ranked Northwestern, 38-0. Even their opening road loss to Utah is looking good, as Utah then went to Eugene and blew out perennial power Oregon, and is now ranked 4th. Michigan is ranked 12th in the latest AP poll, and if they beat archrival Michigan State next Saturday—now looming as a huge game--they could challenge Ohio State for Big Ten, dare we say, national, supremacy.

I think the Wolverines will come to earth. Harbaugh doesn’t have the best talent yet. But what a job he’s doing with what he does have. He’s getting it done in much the same way he did in his first year with the 49ers: strong defense complementing an unspectacular offense based on running.

As for Kaepernick, if he continues to struggle, would the 49ers try to build their future with someone else? That could be good news for Kaepernick. If the 49ers tried to shop him, I think Chip Kelly would drool at the possibility of getting him cheap. Except for Mariota and maybe Cam Newton, I don’t think there’s a QB in the NFL Kelly would rather have for his system. How about a straight up swap to the 49ers, Bradford for Kaepernick?

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Hard to really point out what has happened to the Ravens this year after losing to Cleveland this week. The defense is a major issue giving up over 450 passing yards to McCown and 33 points to the Browns at home. At the same time the O-line has also been a shaky and the WR core is non existent. Probably the biggest disappointment this year in terms of what was expected of them.

Re:

Merckx index said:
Have there ever been so many unbeaten teams this late in the season? It’s only week five, but six unbeaten teams is a lot. If the odds of winning a game are roughly 50-50, you would expect only one of 32 teams to go unbeaten after five games (though NE and Carolina have played only 4 games). Yes, I know, some teams are much better than 50-50 to win, but that cuts down the pool of candidates, too. If the odds of winning are 60-40, one would expect two of 32 teams to be unbeaten, but less than half of the 32 teams would have winning odds like that.

Eat your heart out, 49ers owners. While your team is one of the worst in the NFL, the coach who wasn’t good enough for you is actually exceeding the sky-high expectations that developed at Michigan when he was hired. The Wolverines have won five in a row, the last three by shutouts. The combined score in those five games is an absurd 160-14. They just destroyed previously undefeated and 18th ranked Northwestern, 38-0. Even their opening road loss to Utah is looking good, as Utah then went to Eugene and blew out perennial power Oregon, and is now ranked 4th. Michigan is ranked 12th in the latest AP poll, and if they beat archrival Michigan State next Saturday—now looming as a huge game--they could challenge Ohio State for Big Ten, dare we say, national, supremacy.

I think the Wolverines will come to earth. Harbaugh doesn’t have the best talent yet. But what a job he’s doing with what he does have. He’s getting it done in much the same way he did in his first year with the 49ers: strong defense complementing an unspectacular offense based on running.

As for Kaepernick, if he continues to struggle, would the 49ers try to build their future with someone else? That could be good news for Kaepernick. If the 49ers tried to shop him, I think Chip Kelly would drool at the possibility of getting him cheap. Except for Mariota and maybe Cam Newton, I don’t think there’s a QB in the NFL Kelly would rather have for his system. How about a straight up swap to the 49ers, Bradford for Kaepernick?

49ers just can't seem to get their offense and defence playing well in the same game. They really should have won the game. Kaep had a much better game against the Giants and I can't see him being replaced. He was not to blame for their loss but they need some consistency from him. So far this season he has only had two good games. Bush seems to be injured again. If Hyde gets injured they will be in real trouble. They play the Ravens and Seahawks next so they won't be facing the same quality QBs that they have faced so far. But when the Giants got the ball back with 1.42 left to play I knew they would score. Manning had a good game.

Re:

Merckx index said:

Its crazy how well the Wolverines are playing. The alum and fans are worshiping Harbaugh. They will only get better over the next few years too.

The 49ers really don't have an option for this year other than Kaep. He looked as good last night as I have seen him in a while, but how will he look next week? The play calling was "off" IMO.

TRENDING THREADS