• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 221 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
DET@KC
SD@BAL - Both teams have issues. Ravens at home.
ARI@CLE - Arizona overachieving, but still better, probably.
CHI@MIN - In Vikingland.
CIN@PIT - This all depends on how Big Ben plays. Cincy may lose this.
TEN@HOU - Went with home team.
NYG@NO - Both teams have issues. Saints offense better.
SF@STL - Rams at home.
NYJ@OAK - This game was tough for me. Jets have hurt players.
SEA@DAL - Dez back, but is that enough?
GB@DEN - Great matchup. Iffy weather helps defense, and Broncos at home.
IND@CAR - Colts still talented, but on road, I'll take Panthers.

Re: Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
red_flanders said:
Niners cut Hayne. Not sure why, any insight?
Coaches must not have been too impressed with production, as they replaced Hayne by signing another RB from their practice squad. He had just 25 yards on 8 carries and one muffed punt reception. No indication of injury as of yet.
http://news.yahoo.com/former-aussie-rugby-league-star-hayne-cut-nfls-212559872--nfl.html
I think a struggling team like the 49ers feel they can't afford to carry such a green player, no matter how promising. They just don't have the luxury. If they were going better then you would think they'll be more willing to take a chance.

Still unfair though, as their problems are much deeper than their replacement running back! Most of the comments on the article above aren't flattering toward the 49ers management.

Re:

red_flanders said:
Niners cut Hayne. Not sure why, any insight?

The official reason was he lacked experience re blocking and play reading. His actual stats are better than any of the other running backs but of course he has not had many carries and his punt return stats are also good. Seems because the 49ers are desperate for wins they see him as too much of a risk after two fumbles and one missed block. Trouble is most of the offense can't block either. And now they are in a hole with Hyde and Bush hurt and the rookies doing nothing. Gaskins who they brought up from the practice squad had two runs for a loss of two yards and dropped a ball he should have caught. He made a few runs in the last quarter when the game was over and but never made much ground. The 49ers were woeful today. I can't see them winning another game. Maybe they would beat the Lions but I don't think they play them.

There seemed to be no trust in Hayne even though he was one of the only bright lights in their running game with Hyde. Ellington did well today and he was the only one, with some decent punt returns. I think the 49ers coach will be gone at the end of the season and there is a lot of rumours about Kaep as well. Hayne will end up on the practice squad if no other team wants him and the way the running backs are going they might have to bring him back. Their season is gone anyway. St Louis showed how good a defensive team they are again today but they might struggle against better defensive teams because for long periods their offense was almost as bad as the 49ers. Have not seen a game with so many punts ! Will Hayne be resurrected ?

Re:

52520Andrew said:
Personally I wouldn't mind if the Ravens took a look at Hayne. On another note, SSS out with Achilles hurts. I hope this isn't the last we have seen of him

I just read that the Cowboys are interested as they are having issues with their special teams. The pre-season game that Hayne played against the Cowboys was by far his best performance and they obviously remember him. I think that performance was probably the one that convinced the 49ers to sign him. Ironically the 49ers now have major injury problems with their running backs and there is a chance they would play him again but it sounds like that bird has flown ! Bad luck for Smith, quality player.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Re:

jmdirt said:
If Denver looks like that from now on, the'll be the last team we see this season.

NO vs NYG...WTH?!

Really looking forward to that Denver defense going against the Pats offense in Denver in a few weeks

Crazy game there, feel bad for anyone going against anyone from this game in fantasy(especially Brees and Beckham)

movingtarget said:
52520Andrew said:
Personally I wouldn't mind if the Ravens took a look at Hayne. On another note, SSS out with Achilles hurts. I hope this isn't the last we have seen of him

I just read that the Cowboys are interested as they are having issues with their special teams. The pre-season game that Hayne played against the Cowboys was by far his best performance and they obviously remember him. I think that performance was probably the one that convinced the 49ers to sign him. Ironically the 49ers now have major injury problems with their running backs and there is a chance they would play him again but it sounds like that bird has flown ! Bad luck for Smith, quality player.

That would be an interesting move for them, their RB situation isn't all that great either so it could be a good opportunity

Speaking of RBs Le'Veon Bell is out for the season with a torn MCL, tough injury for the Steelers

Re: Re:

52520Andrew said:
jmdirt said:
If Denver looks like that from now on, the'll be the last team we see this season.

NO vs NYG...WTH?!

Really looking forward to that Denver defense going against the Pats offense in Denver in a few weeks

Crazy game there, feel bad for anyone going against anyone from this game in fantasy(especially Brees and Beckham)

movingtarget said:
52520Andrew said:

That would be an interesting move for them, their RB situation isn't all that great either so it could be a good opportunity

Speaking of RBs Le'Veon Bell is out for the season with a torn MCL, tough injury for the Steelers

Reggie Bush might be gone for the season as well. As injury prone as he is he can't even avoid the freakish incidents like slipping on the concrete and hitting the fence after he ran off the field of play. I am sure he won't be back at the 49ers next year. I read somewhere that he has only played a full season twice in his entire career.

Two games this weekend really stand out. The Saints-Giants, more than 100 combined points and 1000 combined yards. Brees threw for more than 500 yards—I think he and Roethlisberger are the only two QBs to do that twice—and 7 TD passes. Remember when Manning did it two years ago, it was the first time in 40-50 years it had been accomplished, then Foles did it later that same year. But even more remarkably, Eli Manning threw six, so a record thirteen combined in the game. If the Saints hadn’t won the game on a long FG on the last play, Brees would have had a shot at an eighth TD pass in OT.

And the Denver-GB game. Manning had his best game of the season, though again no TD passes, but the real story was Denver’s defense, which made the Packers' offense look even worse than that of, say, the 49ers, with just 140 yards (the anemic 49er offense has been averaging more than twice that). And Aaron Rodgers looked worse than Kaepernick, with an unbelievably low 77 yards passing, on 3.5 YPA; with three sacks, the team’s passing yards was just 50. Fifty yards passing! I can’t ever recall a team with that few aerial yards in a game, and this is the team with the best QB in the league. The Packers are now just 28th in the NFL in total offense. Before the game, I think they were 10th.

So one undefeated team lost, but almost halfway through the season there are still four left, with Carolina playing tomorrow against struggling Indy (latest word is that Luck not only has shoulder problems, but fractured ribs). Denver plays both Cincy and NE later this season, so at least one of the three undefeated teams in the AFC will lose. NE plays at Denver at the end of this month, which could very well feature two unbeaten teams facing each other in what I would presume would be the latest in the season that has ever happened (11th game). Both of these teams were also undefeated when they met in 2007, in the eighth game of the season, and the winner, NE, went on to an undefeated regular season. If both Denver and Cincy can pull off an undefeated run till they meet, in the 15th or second to last game of the season, that would be epic.

Carolina is the only undefeated team left in the NFC. Their toughest remaining opponent appears to be GB, but they play them at home. They will probably be favored in all of their other games,

Re:

jmdirt said:

NO vs NYG...WTH?!

Nah, no one can go with the Pats this season. They are Froome 2013 level. There hasn't been a single moment all season where they have been in danger of losing a game. They just have an aura of invincibility to them.

Hitch I have to agree with you. While this was a great win for Denver, if one has been watching closely the Packers haven't been consistently that good in recent games. They have been vulnerable on defense against the pass (almost losing to the Chargers) and probably overly focused on a very short passing game on offense, both of which the Broncos exploited. Don't get me wrong, this was a solid win for Denver. But the Patriots are, at least right now, considerably better than the Packers, or I think Denver for that matter. The only New England game that was remotely close was against Indy, and some key bounces went the Colts way, lest they would have likely been blown out as well.

Merckx - I believe you are referring to the 2007 Patriots-Colts match-up of two unbeatens that was in week 9 of that season (you said "these two teams". Likely thinking Brady-Manning).

Somehow, if the Panthers beat the Colts tonight, I will be 12-0 in predictions this week.

Presuming the Colts lose, they will be 3-5, and still in first place. Wow. Looking at this from another perspective, last year's worst division (NFC South) the worst team in that division this year is Tampa who is 3-4.

Is anyone ready to say Cincy is for real, and Dalton actually is very good? Or do we still need to wait for them to win a playoff game? They really gritted out a win in Pittsburgh against a motivated Steeler team with Big Ben yesterday.

For those who saw it, the Ricardo Lockette injury looked damned scary. While first reported that it was a concussion, and he did (and still does) have full use of his extremities, Pete Caroll today revealed he tore a ligament in his neck as well and is out for the season.

I'm of the opinion it's not a matter of if, but when, St. Louis is the best team in the NFC West, and maybe the NFC. I still think Arizona, and maybe Seattle are better, for now. But that won't last. I tended to agree with Foxxy that most RB's are plug-n-play, but Todd Gurley is Gronk for the Rams, a manchild making an average OL look good, which usually happens the other way around.

And as a Raiders fan, I'm starting to believe that they too will likely be the best team in the AFC West sooner than later. Derek Carr is the real deal, in the last two weeks completing 70.2 percent of his passes for 7 TD's, no picks, and a 134.0 passer rating. Oakland is currently the 5th seed in the AFC playoff picture at 4-3.

I'm calling it, Dallas is done for the year.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Hitch I have to agree with you. While this was a great win for Denver, if one has been watching closely the Packers haven't been consistently that good in recent games. They have been vulnerable on defense against the pass (almost losing to the Chargers) and probably overly focused on a very short passing game on offense, both of which the Broncos exploited. Don't get me wrong, this was a solid win for Denver. But the Patriots are, at least right now, considerably better than the Packers, or I think Denver for that matter. The only New England game that was remotely close was against Indy, and some key bounces went the Colts way, lest they would have likely been blown out as well.

Merckx - I believe you are referring to the 2007 Patriots-Colts match-up of two unbeatens that was in week 9 of that season (you said "these two teams". Likely thinking Brady-Manning).

Somehow, if the Panthers beat the Colts tonight, I will be 12-0 in predictions this week.

Presuming the Colts lose, they will be 3-5, and still in first place. Wow. Looking at this from another perspective, last year's worst division (NFC South) the worst team in that division this year is Tampa who is 3-4.

Is anyone ready to say Cincy is for real, and Dalton actually is very good? Or do we still need to wait for them to win a playoff game? They really gritted out a win in Pittsburgh against a motivated Steeler team with Big Ben yesterday.

For those who saw it, the Ricardo Lockette injury looked damned scary. While first reported that it was a concussion, and he did (and still does) have full use of his extremities, Pete Caroll today revealed he tore a ligament in his neck as well and is out for the season.

I'm of the opinion it's not a matter of if, but when, St. Louis is the best team in the NFC West, and maybe the NFC. I still think Arizona, and maybe Seattle are better, for now. But that won't last. I tended to agree with Foxxy that most RB's are plug-n-play, but Todd Gurley is Gronk for the Rams, a manchild making an average OL look good, which usually happens the other way around.

And as a Raiders fan, I'm starting to believe that they too will likely be the best team in the AFC West sooner than later. Derek Carr is the real deal, in the last two weeks completing 70.2 percent of his passes for 7 TD's, no picks, and a 134.0 passer rating. Oakland is currently the 5th seed in the AFC playoff picture at 4-3.

I'm calling it, Dallas is done for the year.

Sure hope so. Can't stand hearing the fans of Dallas cheer for a field goal any longer.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

Yeah, well you would have been 12-1 if you hadn't skipped the Falcons game. :p

I was feeling pleased with my 9-3. Agree that Cowgirls are done, and will fess up to having apparently been wrong about the Raiders. Good luck to you. Considering whom I support, I can sympathize with Raider fans.

No one was interested in Hayne. Back to the Practice Squad at the 49ers. 49ers are trialling another RB by the name of Ben Tate to cover their injuries so Hayne may stay put on the practice field.

The undefeated Denver Broncos made their case as the potential best team in the NFL on Sunday with a dominant 29-10 victory over the Green Bay Packers, and they added another weapon for Peyton Manning and the passing attack Monday in the form of tight end Vernon Davis. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Broncos acquired Davis and a 2016 seventh-round pick in a trade with the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for a sixth-round pick in 2016 and a sixth-round pick in 2017. Former Broncos quarterback and current general manager and executive vice president of football operations John Elway confirmed the trade and said Davis will be "a valuable addition to our team with his experience and leadership."

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
The funny thing is, I couldn't make up my mind on that game when making my picks! I thought TB was improving and the Falcons were over-achieving, but I wasn't ready to call the game one way or the other, and I never got around to picking!

We can pretend you picked a tie I guess

Vernon Davis traded to Denver

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
Re:

movingtarget said:
No one was interested in Hayne. Back to the Practice Squad at the 49ers. 49ers are trialling another RB by the name of Ben Tate to cover their injuries so Hayne may stay put on the practice field.

The undefeated Denver Broncos made their case as the potential best team in the NFL on Sunday with a dominant 29-10 victory over the Green Bay Packers, and they added another weapon for Peyton Manning and the passing attack Monday in the form of tight end Vernon Davis. According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Broncos acquired Davis and a 2016 seventh-round pick in a trade with the San Francisco 49ers in exchange for a sixth-round pick in 2016 and a sixth-round pick in 2017. Former Broncos quarterback and current general manager and executive vice president of football operations John Elway confirmed the trade and said Davis will be "a valuable addition to our team with his experience and leadership."

Tate really isn't that good and is injury prone to boot so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Hayne got another opportunity.

Beat me to the punch on the Denver trade lol, Davis has really not done well recently in San Francisco so it will be interesting to see the fit. A couple years ago this would be no fair but Manning is not the same player he used to be either. I don't see Davis doing all that well but you never know, especially with Kubiak there.

I was a bit early on St Louis. Last year I said they were a good outside shot at 70-1 for the superbowl and Foxxy laughed at me for it.

They lost their qb (not that Bradford is that great but he was all right in that offense and no less effective than Foles has been). Seems an extra year prep and Gurley is what they needed to take an extra step.

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
The first 3 quarters may not have been good but the ending for that Colts Panthers game was quite fun. On another note, the Colts and Texans are tied atop the AFC South at 3-5.

Re:

52520Andrew said:
The first 3 quarters may not have been good but the ending for that Colts Panthers game was quite fun. On another note, the Colts and Texans are tied atop the AFC South at 3-5.

Wow, talk about Cardiac Cats! Thought we had lost it when the Colts took it to OT but somehow the Panthers pull it out of the hat again. Credit to Gano for the winning FG, having missed the extra point earlier.

Big improvements needed for when the Packers visit this weekend, but i'll take the 7-0!

Re:

jmdirt said:

NO vs NYG...WTH?!
WTH! Now that is funny if you happen to be talking about the touchdown marathon, with the Losing QB (Eli) tossing 6 TDs (no INTs) and the winning QB (Brees) tossing 7 of them (with 2 INTs). Some media folks saying how amazing it was for so many TDs to be thrown in one game. Sure, amazing :rolleyes:. Well, you can thank Roger Goodell for that. Yup, we all got just what Roger has wanted all along, lots of scoring because NEITHER TEAM PLAYED ANY DEFENSE. I have not seen so many consistently uncovered wide open WRs and blown coverages in an NFL game in a long time. Each reception highlight was just about equally filled with blown coverage. That's not interesting viewing. Who wants to watch that???

Interesting article in USA Today makes a case for Dallas to go back to Weeden as the starting QB.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/11/cowboys-starting-qb-brandon-weeden-matt-cassel-bench-tony-romo
Check out the stats in that link. Quick summary here:
Weeden - 71 completions/98 attempts (72.4%), Rate = 92.2, QBR = 58.73.
Romo - 54/72 (75%), Rate = 98.8, QBR = 69.9.
Cassel - 30/52(57.7%), Rate = 58.5, QBR = 27.88, in 2 games vs NYG & SEA.

Maybe we give Cassel some slack because one of those games was against a SEA defense that was playing lights out and again did not allow a TD to be scored on them. Cassel's first game was also against a NYG defense that, as we saw yesterday vs NO, is not a very good defense. But then Cassel could be expected to be a bit rusty in his first kick at the cat. As the stats in the article make a case to go back to Weeden, I probably would not so soon. It's no good to be jerking QBs in and out that fast. I'd give Cassel a good chance to show what he can do, at least through the next 3 or 4 games (Iggles, Bucs, Fins, Panthas), and then see where things stand.

- Not a bit surprised SF has benched Kaepernick, and will now go with Gabbert.
- How many more weapons does Denver and Manning need? One more like Vernon Davis can't hurt, as Niners ship Davis to Denver. Just might revitalize Vernon's career.
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francis...epernick-benching-the-end-of-an-era-for-49ers

TRENDING THREADS