• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 259 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
Good points both of you on Kubiak's offenses and the salary structuring for a Colin deal.

On Wentz, I also think the Browns will take him. Granted the Browns could trade out of the position if they did not want to take Wentz and use that to add to their team through the draft, but then they would really be rolling the dice with RGIII. Mike Mayock thinks the Browns would be crazy to not take Wentz, so I'll hang my hat on that opinion.

Finally saw the movie Concussion. Then did a little Google search to find a bit more on the history of the head trauma in the NFL. Remember the days when violent collisions were applauded and revered? Seems the NFL and helmet manufacturers have recognized the obvious dangers for a long time, like since the 70's. The movie makes a great point with the woodpecker analogy. The human head is just not designed to handle those kinds of forces. The solution? They started putting one of these stickers on all helmets:

18w2ot5tva8xhjpg.jpg

True other things have been done to make the game safer, such as rule changes, there has been a lot of focus on proper tackling technique, and changing the tackling technique to one that is safer. But I do not think the way the game is played is done evolving. I think this is just the tip of the iceberg and more needs to be done. Flag football anyone? I say that kind of tongue in cheek, but that might not be far away from where the game should be.

It would be interesting to see research done also with Rugby League and Rugby Union where helmets are not worn but some wear much lighter headgear, as I have noticed lately that veterans are dying of dementia more and more or could this just be the dementia increase for the population in general ? Even in soccer aka football I have read that a career of heading the ball since the age of seven or so also causes brain issues !

Great questioning on the Kaep situation MerckxI! That is pretty close to where my level of confusion is at. If I had to take a stab at why it is that way I guess it is analogous to the stars lining up or the primordial soup of conditions that are just right, The stars or conditions would be:
1. Chip Kelly - the pressure element - many coaches might be able to smooth things over with Colin, but Chip is an egomaniac who's philosophy is his way or the highway.
2. Kaepernick - the temperature element - having held the starting position and nearly helped SF to 2 SB wins, he seems a bit hot headed over not being handed the reigns by Chip. Whether it is a matter of pride, hurt feelings or being mad about it I don't know. But it is clear he's not liking the situation.
3. Denver - is desperate enough to try about anything to improve the QB position.
So there we have it and Chip is probably the lightening bolt as well.

On CTE the list of known deceased and living players suspected of having the disease is quite long. And they might have to change the name to CTCE - the second "C" being continuous for the affects to linemen.

Anyone interested in team needs for the draft say so. I've put together a list of all teams needs.

Alpe, I posted something similar a while back about Kaep that he used to roll out to create the passing game, but he started rolling out thinking run and stopped seeing the passing game. I still think that he can still be a solid QB in the league with the correct guidance though.

I'm going to make a prediction: Sanchez is going to compete, win the starting job, and be a top 16 QB in this season.

It appears to me that a game of chicken is going on with Kaepernick, the 49ers, and Broncos. Despite meeting twice personally with Elway, Kaep has stated he refuses to take a pay cut to play for them. Denver is expecting SF to eat a portion of that pay as part of a deal. But what will the 49ers get in return? Unknown. But Denver has very little wiggle room under the cap, having mortgaged a great deal in recent years to get last year's SB win.

Goodell announced today that Thursday night football will stream over...Twitter. Twitter? How's that going to work? Well, Yahoo did it, and that worked well for me even watching it on my bit TV, but others had problems.

Goodell also announced that the playoffs will expand at some point. As I've said before, I am flatly against this. Enough teams make the playoffs already, and the season is too long already as well. But greed trumps all.

The Raiders have agreed to a deal with Aldon Smith, who will sit until at least November for being an idiot. But on the field (and apparently the locker room) he's one heck of a player. And loyal to Oakland, saying he would consider no other team. With Smith, Mack, and Irvin, the Raiders will have one of the most formidable pass rush (especially blitzing) defenses in the NFL. Not done yet, the Raiders are also talking with Bengal CB Reggie Nelson who was tied in interceptions last year with 8 and made the pro bowl. Considering the Raiders need DB help, this would be great. I like what Oakland is doing, but there are still other needs as well. Basically a run stopper on the DL, and various OL positions could be improved upon. As others have said here, the game is often won and lost in the trenches.

Finally, an increase in interest in the Titans #1 pick in the draft, as teams become more enamored with Carson Wentz and the hope he brings. I've written before about this as a blind faith type thing teams get into, even though statistically it doesn't make a lot of sense. But teams who are most likely to look to the draft to get a top QB who can play this year, if not from day one are, San Francisco who currently sits at 7. Philadelphia, who picks 8, and the Rams at 15, and Houston at 22. You could also argue the Jets, and Denver. The team most likely I think to deal there is Philadelphia, the team least likely, Los Angeles, despite being a "new" team. Houston remains a question mark what they're going to do. I still think they'll stick with Hoyer, and look deeper in the draft for a QB in the 2nd-4th rounds who might develop.

So, if some team trades up to take Wentz at #2, who do the Browns take? It can't be Goff, can it? Tunsil? I don't see that. Or do they try to trade down as well?

With 6 teams in each conference making the playoffs already (out of 16) its 37.5%

The only logical step is to 8 for 50%, and thats common in football (Soccer), but IMHO that always has seemed a little too easy to qualify for knockout stages. Somewhere 30-40% of teams is the sweet spot to my mind.

Its inevitable, but really 8 teams per conference should be supported by 4 divisions of 5 in each. That isn't happening anytime soon.

No, and as we discussed when Foxxy was around, an expansion of the playoffs to where half the teams make it, is almost insuring that a team gets hot late in the season, finishes 7-9, and wins the Superbowl.

I haven't done the research, but I'm all but certain if you go back you can find teams that finished 6-10 that would have made the playoffs in this scenario.

As I said before, it has nothing to do with fairness, and everything to do with greed. If the owners could have the players play 162 games like MLB, they'd do it.

RE: expanding the playoffs: I understand that its all about $$. BUT, IMO if you don't win 10 games, you don't make the playoffs. Without doing the math, in some years, that could mean more teams/games, and in other years less teams/games. Yah, I know that would never fly, but that's how I would do it if I were king.

The NFL could easily go full year, play every team once, and every division team twice to help the owners with their $$. :rolleyes:

For a 10-win rule to make playoffs to fly it seems there would have to be some accounting for weak divisions, to be fair to the 9-game winners of strong divisions.

If the NFL expands the playoffs, then either:
1) players should consider striking, or
2) players should demand 50% of the league revenues for the playoff games played, so something like that...
IF the players feel like they should. After all it is their health & bodies that have to recover in the offseason.

Re:

Catwhoorg said:
The only logical step is to 8 for 50%

Who said the NFL was logical?

Goodell implied it would be seven teams, not eight. So there would be only one team—the team with the best record in each conference—getting a bye in the first round. The other six would play three WC games, with the three winners joining the bye team in the usual divisional round.

One problem with this, though, is that it would be hard to cram six WC games into one weekend. That would mean three games each day, which is hard to do without overlap, and of course if there is overlap, you're not maximizing the viewers and $$$. You'd have to have one game start at say, noon EST, the next at 3:30 PM, then the last at 7 PM, though depending on the time zone, the local time could be different.

Right off the bat, it would restrict scheduling flexibility. Any games played on the east coast would have to have the earliest starting time, and if it happened there were no such teams, there would be a problem. Second, games in the evening EST would tend to conflict with other sports, namely the NBA. Under the current format, I think playoff games are generally over by about 7 PM EST. Also, playing late at night in January in a cold weather city would be rough on both players and fans; usually, a western city would go in that time slot, but it's possible there could be three east coast cities, or at least a midwestern one. And finally, even heavily addicted NFL fans might O.D. on three back-to-back-to-back games, on two consecutive days. That's most of the waking hours in the day. The divorce lawyers would love it, I guess.

There has actually been speculation of having two of the WC games on Monday, but the problem there is potentially short rest for the winners. Even under the current system, a team that wins on Sunday the first weekend may have to play Saturday the following weekend. If it were shortened from Monday to Saturday there would be a lot of complaints, that's only day more rest than teams playing Sunday during the regular season get when they play the following Thursday.

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
It appears to me that a game of chicken is going on with Kaepernick, the 49ers, and Broncos. Despite meeting twice personally with Elway, Kaep has stated he refuses to take a pay cut to play for them. Denver is expecting SF to eat a portion of that pay as part of a deal. But what will the 49ers get in return? Unknown. But Denver has very little wiggle room under the cap, having mortgaged a great deal in recent years to get last year's SB win.

Goodell announced today that Thursday night football will stream over...Twitter. Twitter? How's that going to work? Well, Yahoo did it, and that worked well for me even watching it on my bit TV, but others had problems.

Goodell also announced that the playoffs will expand at some point. As I've said before, I am flatly against this. Enough teams make the playoffs already, and the season is too long already as well. But greed trumps all.

The Raiders have agreed to a deal with Aldon Smith, who will sit until at least November for being an idiot. But on the field (and apparently the locker room) he's one heck of a player. And loyal to Oakland, saying he would consider no other team. With Smith, Mack, and Irvin, the Raiders will have one of the most formidable pass rush (especially blitzing) defenses in the NFL. Not done yet, the Raiders are also talking with Bengal CB Reggie Nelson who was tied in interceptions last year with 8 and made the pro bowl. Considering the Raiders need DB help, this would be great. I like what Oakland is doing, but there are still other needs as well. Basically a run stopper on the DL, and various OL positions could be improved upon. As others have said here, the game is often won and lost in the trenches.

Finally, an increase in interest in the Titans #1 pick in the draft, as teams become more enamored with Carson Wentz and the hope he brings. I've written before about this as a blind faith type thing teams get into, even though statistically it doesn't make a lot of sense. But teams who are most likely to look to the draft to get a top QB who can play this year, if not from day one are, San Francisco who currently sits at 7. Philadelphia, who picks 8, and the Rams at 15, and Houston at 22. You could also argue the Jets, and Denver. The team most likely I think to deal there is Philadelphia, the team least likely, Los Angeles, despite being a "new" team. Houston remains a question mark what they're going to do. I still think they'll stick with Hoyer, and look deeper in the draft for a QB in the 2nd-4th rounds who might develop.

So, if some team trades up to take Wentz at #2, who do the Browns take? It can't be Goff, can it? Tunsil? I don't see that. Or do they try to trade down as well?

Hoyer had a terrible game in the playoffs in 2015 so not surprised they are thinking of a QB. Should be interesting to see what they do. I don't want to see an expansion of the playoffs as I think it is fine the way it is. The Kaep situation dribbles along with many seemingly inaccurate media reports. Some journalist asks a Denver fan or a 49ers fan what they think of Kaep and it suddenly becomes an article of pure speculation ! I think he will go eventually. Even guys Kaep went to high school with are offering their valued opinions from what I have seen.

Re: Re:

Merckx index said:
Catwhoorg said:
The only logical step is to 8 for 50%

Who said the NFL was logical?

Goodell implied it would be seven teams, not eight. So there would be only one team—the team with the best record in each conference—getting a bye in the first round. The other six would play three WC games, with the three winners joining the bye team in the usual divisional round.

One problem with this, though, is that it would be hard to cram six WC games into one weekend. That would mean three games each day, which is hard to do without overlap, and of course if there is overlap, you're not maximizing the viewers and $$$. You'd have to have one game start at say, noon EST, the next at 3:30 PM, then the last at 7 PM, though depending on the time zone, the local time could be different.

Right off the bat, it would restrict scheduling flexibility. Any games played on the east coast would have to have the earliest starting time, and if it happened there were no such teams, there would be a problem. Second, games in the evening EST would tend to conflict with other sports, namely the NBA. Under the current format, I think playoff games are generally over by about 7 PM EST. Also, playing late at night in January in a cold weather city would be rough on both players and fans; usually, a western city would go in that time slot, but it's possible there could be three east coast cities, or at least a midwestern one. And finally, even heavily addicted NFL fans might O.D. on three back-to-back-to-back games, on two consecutive days. That's most of the waking hours in the day. The divorce lawyers would love it, I guess.

There has actually been speculation of having two of the WC games on Monday, but the problem there is potentially short rest for the winners. Even under the current system, a team that wins on Sunday the first weekend may have to play Saturday the following weekend. If it were shortened from Monday to Saturday there would be a lot of complaints, that's only day more rest than teams playing Sunday during the regular season get when they play the following Thursday.
Maybe Friday, Saturday, Sunday? But that could still end up with a Sunday team playing a Friday team with two more rest days. WC games F, S, S, M, and then a week off until the next round? As you said, the location logistics could get crazy with three games in one day.

movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

Hoyer had a terrible game in the playoffs in 2015 so not surprised they are thinking of a QB. Should be interesting to see what they do. I don't want to see an expansion of the playoffs as I think it is fine the way it is. The Kaep situation dribbles along with many seemingly inaccurate media reports. Some journalist asks a Denver fan or a 49ers fan what they think of Kaep and it suddenly becomes an article of pure speculation ! I think he will go eventually. Even guys Kaep went to high school with are offering their valued opinions from what I have seen.
Our local sports radio show has a couple of BSU/NFL alum, and a caller asked Ian Johnson: "you played against CK what do you think he will do?" IJ laughed and said: "pull it down and run with it! Listen I played against the guy 10 years ago so its not like I can read his mind." :D I like that answer sooo much better than all of his "best friends" coming out of the woodwork.

jmdirt said:
Our local sports radio show has a couple of BSU/NFL alum, and a caller asked Ian Johnson: "you played against CK what do you think he will do?" IJ laughed and said: "pull it down and run with it! Listen I played against the guy 10 years ago so its not like I can read his mind." :D I like that answer sooo much better than all of his "best friends" coming out of the woodwork.
Thanks for sharing. That is a great quote by IJ. Even if IJ never made a regular season NFL roster (made practice squads of several teams for parts of seasons). So I presumed his playing against CK was when Ian was at Boise State and CK was at Nevada.

on3m@n@rmy said:
jmdirt said:
Thanks for sharing. That is a great quote by IJ. Even if IJ never made a regular season NFL roster (made practice squads of several teams for parts of seasons). So I presumed his playing against CK was when Ian was at Boise State and CK was at Nevada.
I'm assuming that is what he meant too. I think it was 2008 when Nev and BSU had a great battle while IJ and CK were there (granted both on O for their teams). Daryn Colledge is the other BSU alum on the show, and he played in 150ish NFL games hence my /NFL. Ian either needed to be bigger or faster to make it in the NFL.

Re:

red_flanders said:
Bengals S Reggie Nelson the latest free agent to sign with the Raiders: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/717855650211094528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Best off-season I've ever seen for the Silver and Black. They have( a lot of options in the draft and few glaring needs. Could go RB, LB, DL, S, CB.

I'm hoping Elliot falls to them. Wouldn't mind Ragland or A'Shawn Robinson. It's all good.

True about good off-season. But not unexpected, considering they were in the top 2 or 3 teams in the league in terms of cap space (about $70M at start of free agency). As of March 31, they still have a nice ~$23M in cap space. http://www.silverandblackpride.com/...-available-cap-space-factoring-in-rookie-pool

Re:

red_flanders said:
Bengals S Reggie Nelson the latest free agent to sign with the Raiders...
Hey man, I broke that story a page ago! :)

It's definitely been a nice off-season haul for the Raiders, who for the first time in a decade had cap room to use. And it could be happening at the right time, with Carr and Amari Cooper still young, Michael Crabtree in his prime, and Mack looking like a future HOF player already on defense, that has added levels of talent. This also frees up the Raiders to take the best player left available in the draft, without having to feel a desperate need to fill holes and hope the player pans out.

I'm not saying the Raiders are going to win the Superbowl this year, but they are definitely on the up and have a potential to win a fair amount of games, and some big ones. The future looks quite bright.

on3m@n@rmy said:
red_flanders said:
Bengals S Reggie Nelson the latest free agent to sign with the Raiders: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/717855650211094528?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Best off-season I've ever seen for the Silver and Black. They have( a lot of options in the draft and few glaring needs. Could go RB, LB, DL, S, CB.

I'm hoping Elliot falls to them. Wouldn't mind Ragland or A'Shawn Robinson. It's all good.

True about good off-season. But not unexpected, considering they were in the top 2 or 3 teams in the league in terms of cap space (about $70M at start of free agency). As of March 31, they still have a nice ~$23M in cap space. http://www.silverandblackpride.com/...-available-cap-space-factoring-in-rookie-pool

Yes–they've had cap space for a couple of years though. Difference this year seems to be the emergence (not just potential) of Carr and Mack as legit stars. A lot of the FA's are citing that as part of the reason to go Raiders. Really helps to have a future looking bright when trying to attract other talent. And the money. :)

jmdirt said:
red_flanders said:

Best off-season I've ever seen for the Silver and Black. They have a lot of options in the draft and few glaring needs. Could go RB, LB, DL, S, CB.

Henry at RB?

I'm not a fan, he's no good in the pass game...kind of like Latavius is now. Would rather see a more compact guy with ball skills. He's a bruiser, but not sure he's got the quickness needed at this level.

It is a little bit old news now about Greg Hardy. But:
- first off, Dallas has not yet resigned him
- so, Hardy's agent and Hardy begin a redemption tour, which
- kicks off with an exclusive ESPN interview hosted by Adam Schefter, in which
- Schefter says Hardy seems like a changed man.
REALLY Adam? Hardy has never admitted having done anything wrong.

That bite by Schefter started the stone throwing:
- First by Ravens Steve Smith, who called Hardy out. The interesting part about this is the PLAYERS are now starting to reject Hardy.
- Next by ESPN's (same employer as Schefter) Michele Beadle, who called out her company for giving Hardy a platform for redemption.
- see commentary here: http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-new...-hardy-domestic-violence-victim-adam-schefter
“I feel dirty in that this guy has no job right now, and for some reason we’ve decided as a network that we’re going to give him the stage for his redemption tour as he basically goes out and tries to find some employment,” Beadle said on Tuesday on her show SportsNation via ProFootballTalk. “I don’t understand why we’re doing that. If he wants to figure out a way to get his message out there — which by the way, he hasn’t said he did anything wrong, so how a man is supposed to convince anybody he’s changed and yet not admit to actually doing anything? I have no idea. But why we’re giving him the forum to go out there and tell anybody that is where I’m a little bit confused.”
Good for Michele. I'm on her side.

Part of what's disturbing to me is what was in it for ESPN (or Adam Schefter) to give Hardy and his agent the media exposure, and for Schefter to say he's a changed man? $$$ under the table? Smells fishy.

This is another really bad decision by Adam Schefter, who was the moron who publicized Jason Pierre-Paul's PRIVATE medical records stemming from his July 4 fireworks accident and subsequent hospital visit(s).

So, Kubiak has talked win Johnny, and now Von Miller is encouraging the front office to sign Manziell. WTH?! I don't get it. He has shown to be a solid third stringer, with massive issues. Who wants that on their team? Is there something I'm missing? Do Gary and Von see something that I don't and feel that they can mentor him into being a better human?

I don't think you are not missing anything Jdirt. Denver is just desperate and they will almost do anything. It is despicable. And as I said before:
1. There is no amount of mentoring right now that anyone can do to fix Manziel's issues. He has to want help.
2. The only way for him to want help is to hit rock bottom, meaning no team signs him until he gets himself help. As long as there is some team talking to Manziel, that team is doing him a great disservice, because...
3. the team talking to him obviously does not have Manziel's best interest in mind. That team is only thinking of themselves, which i have zero respect for (Denver, Elway, Kubiak, & certain players).

The only way a team should reach out to Manziel is if he changes and proves he can maintain that for a length of time like a year. There has not been enough time since the season ended for Manziel to establish that he's in fact changed. I know some borderline alcoholics who can keep it together for one or two months, but then lose it by going on a crazy drinking binge only to end up unemployed. They have a false sense of hope for recovery, because they think they can manage during those one or two dry months, and so do not seek help. Then the cycle repeats; they get another job, appear to be doing great, then end up with a DUI, and BAM lose that new job, again. That seems to be where Manziel is at. Teams have to help Manziel break the cycle. Screw any team who does not see that.

I don't know how any team could sign Manziel and expect it to work out. I don't need to rehash why, other than to point out since not showing up for the Browns last game, or final meeting with the team doctor, he has shown zero interest in going a new direction, and there are reports of him continuing to party with friends.

As to Hardy, I wouldn't sign him either. That guy is a powder keg if you ask me, I don't care how good he is. If Ray Rice can't get any sort of deal as a backup even...

Mike Glennon is maybe being shopped, and this doesn't surprise me, he sees the field fairly well and generally makes good decisions, and played okay playing for a bad Tampa team. Foxxy had numbers on his lack of arm strength, and I don't recall him making big throws down the field or to the sidelines often either. But as a possession/west coast type QB, he could do okay in the right system. Would that system be Denver? I don't know. The upside of him isn't at the same as Kaepernick, but the downside may be lower too. But I don't really see him as a starter, or consistent starter. I'm still surprised the Broncos let Osweiller walk.

Re:

on3m@n@rmy said:
I don't think you are not missing anything Jdirt. Denver is just desperate and they will almost do anything. It is despicable. And as I said before:
1. There is no amount of mentoring right now that anyone can do to fix Manziel's issues. He has to want help.
2. The only way for him to want help is to hit rock bottom, meaning no team signs him until he gets himself help. As long as there is some team talking to Manziel, that team is doing him a great disservice, because...
3. the team talking to him obviously does not have Manziel's best interest in mind. That team is only thinking of themselves, which i have zero respect for (Denver, Elway, Kubiak, & certain players).

The only way a team should reach out to Manziel is if he changes and proves he can maintain that for a length of time like a year. There has not been enough time since the season ended for Manziel to establish that he's in fact changed. I know some borderline alcoholics who can keep it together for one or two months, but then lose it by going on a crazy drinking binge only to end up unemployed. They have a false sense of hope for recovery, because they think they can manage during those one or two dry months, and so do not seek help. Then the cycle repeats; they get another job, appear to be doing great, then end up with a DUI, and BAM lose that new job, again. That seems to be where Manziel is at. Teams have to help Manziel break the cycle. Screw any team who does not see that.
They might be frantic for a QB, but I see Mark S being a way better option than JM. I was serious that I think that MS is going to have a solid year, but even if he just has a year like his first two in NY he is a better option than JM.

TRENDING THREADS