• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 279 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Tank Engine said:
BullsFan22 said:
Tank Engine said:
The Gronk will be out for several weeks after surgery on a herniated disk. It's a big blow for the Patriots, but they went 3-1 without him or Brady at the beginning of the season. A big chance for Hernandez to step up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/patriots-dealt-huge-blow-as-rob-gronkowski-will-undergo-back-surgery-184532614.html

You almost gave me a heart attack.

It's maybe your big chance ;)

*Aaron Hernandez*

Sounds like the Cowboys dodged a bullet against the Vikings ! The Chiefs and Falcons and the Lions v Saints might be the pick of the remaining games. Depending on which Panthers team turns up, the game with the Seahawks might be interesting more for Hawks fans re the rest of the season if not anything else. 49ers v Bears may have repercussions re the order of the next draft as both teams are eyeing off the game as one they should win. The Bears could not catch the ball last week while the 49ers continue to shoot themselves in the foot with undisciplined play.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Sounds like the Cowboys dodged a bullet against the Vikings ! The Chiefs and Falcons and the Lions v Saints might be the pick of the remaining games. Depending on which Panthers team turns up, the game with the Seahawks might be interesting more for Hawks fans re the rest of the season if not anything else. 49ers v Bears may have repercussions re the order of the next draft as both teams are eyeing off the game as one they should win. The Bears could not catch the ball last week while the 49ers continue to shoot themselves in the foot with undisciplined play.
'Boys dodged one indeed. The Cowboys DT should have been flagged for a penalty. Here's the rule from the rulebook that applies:
ARTICLE 7. PLAYERS IN A DEFENSELESS POSTURE. It is a foul if a player initiates unnecessary contact against a player
who is in a defenseless posture
(a) Players in a defenseless posture are:
(1) A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass (passing posture).

(2) A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner. If the player is capable of
avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player.
(3) The intended receiver of a pass in the action during and immediately following an interception or potential
interception. If the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer
a defenseless player.
Note: Violations of this provision will be enforced after the interception, and the intercepting team will maintain possession.

(b) Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
(1) forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if
the initial contact is lower than the player’s neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms
to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him
Video clearly shows the defenders arm whacking the head and neck area of the Vikes QB. You can find links to video. Its all over the internet as more controversy has erupted.

Re:

movingtarget said:
Carolina fans should hope their OL depth is good. I mean, 1) their starting C and backup C are on season ending IR, 2) starting LT Oher is out. Then their RT moves to LT to cover Oher, and their pro bowl G moves to RT. This might be a worse OL situation than Seattle's. Then for Seattle, they have DE/DT Michael Bennett returning. This could be Bennett's best game of the season if he is really healthy. So it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Besides Bennett who is definitely returning this week, Seattle has a bevy of other defensive players likely returning from injury hold outs. These guys made it through the week of practice: S Earl Thomas, CB DeShawn Shead, SAM LB Mike Morgan. On offense, Seattle center Britt made it through the week and could return. Nothing definitive on those guys playing just yet tho.

BullsFan22 said:
Tank Engine said:
BullsFan22 said:
Tank Engine said:
The Gronk will be out for several weeks after surgery on a herniated disk. It's a big blow for the Patriots, but they went 3-1 without him or Brady at the beginning of the season. A big chance for Hernandez to step up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/patriots-dealt-huge-blow-as-rob-gronkowski-will-undergo-back-surgery-184532614.html

You almost gave me a heart attack.

It's maybe your big chance ;)

*Aaron Hernandez*

Yes, it is a common surname. I've got one myself and used to play TE for the Patriots :D

The Cowboys were definitely lucky with that missed call on the 2-point conversion. The call on the punt fumble was very marginal, although I only saw brief highlights this morning (matches at 2:30am aren't my thing). Apparently, there was a favourable call on a Zeke fumble, which went the Cowboys' way, but I didn't see that one.

on3m@n@rmy said:
movingtarget said:
Carolina fans should hope their OL depth is good. I mean, 1) their starting C and backup C are on season ending IR, 2) starting LT Oher is out. Then their RT moves to LT to cover Oher, and their pro bowl G moves to RT. This might be a worse OL situation than Seattle's. Then for Seattle, they have DE/DT Michael Bennett returning. This could be Bennett's best game of the season if he is really healthy. So it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Besides Bennett who is definitely returning this week, Seattle has a bevy of other defensive players likely returning from injury hold outs. These guys made it through the week of practice: S Earl Thomas, CB DeShawn Shead, SAM LB Mike Morgan. On offense, Seattle center Britt made it through the week and could return. Nothing definitive on those guys playing just yet tho.

While it's obviously great for the Hawks that they are getting all these players back, it doesn't guarantee success right off the bat. They'll be rusty and might take them a while to get going. How quickly will depend on a number of things, but anyway it's good that they are back.

The latest I heard on Gronk is that he is out for the rest of the regular season for certain, and could possibly come back for the playoffs, or maybe the Super Bowl of the Pats got there, but to not expect it.

Regarding Dallas, one of the reasons I'm not penciling them in as NFC champion, and still think Seattle could beat them (As On3@m noted, Seattle didn't have Earl Thomas or Michael Bennet against Tampa), is they have now had a couple games like this. Not that the refs or rules favored them, but games they easily could have lost. The games against Washington, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia come to mind. Granted, they didn't. But they just as easily could be 9-3 or 8-4, and viewed as a very good team, not a team that's amazingly hot and destined. Not that anyone is saying that. Dallas plays at the Giants next, and while the Giants have had close games of their own, a Dallas loss might actually help the Cowboys focus.

Two big games tomorrow to watch, if you can, are Kansas City at Atlanta, and NY Giants at Pittsburgh. All four teams have showed depth, and signs they can go deep in the playoffs, and in some games signs they may just be pretenders. Tomorrow may show a lot.

I agree with that analysis of Dallas, including how a loss by them could give them more focus. Whatever gameplan is used to beat Dallas, other teams may try to copy that plan if they have the personnel, but Dallas would fix it by making adjustments to use against those things. So it would not be so easy for the next Dallas opponent.

One plan to defeat Dallas would be 1) must be able to stop the run so, 2) make Dak win it with his arm and get some pressure on Dak. Then depending on personnel (e.g. can u play man coverage vs Dallas WRs ?), either make them throw underneath or play tight and make Dallas go deep. That's a tough day at the office. As to the first objective, stopping the run, a defense will need to be solid up front with enough depth to keep DL as fresh as possible.

I detest Seattle and their a$$wipe of a coach. If the Panthers don't win another game this year, I hope they win this one...well, and the Atlanta one. I guess I just hate bird teams? Cardinals and Ravens...I'm looking at you...though I do have a soft spot for the Ravens because it's about Poe and not the bird, though if I have a favorite bird, it's a Raven.

#H8thman

Re:

ChewbaccaDefense said:
I detest Seattle and their a$$wipe of a coach. If the Panthers don't win another game this year, I hope they win this one...well, and the Atlanta one. I guess I just hate bird teams? Cardinals and Ravens...I'm looking at you...though I do have a soft spot for the Ravens because it's about Poe and not the bird, though if I have a favorite bird, it's a Raven.

#H8thman

Hope is a wonderful thing but the birds are flogging the big cats. Scratching them to pieces. It could be worse you could be a 49ers fan let alone the Browns ! You would have to pay me to watch a 49ers/Browns game !

The KC-ATL game had a pretty wild ending.

The NFL has certainly made things interesting with the changes around the extra point, and the possibilities of a run back for a score.

What was a "dead play" certainly is not now.

Re:

ChewbaccaDefense said:

#H8thman
Then you'd love this. Guess who?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMpekpFdoWk

That's a dead link there my friend.

If I said Brady looked like he was maybe taking a step down if not in decisions, but in throws, I was proven wrong this week. He looked as MVP sharp as ever before.

That KC-Atlanta game was indeed a wild finish. Having said that, the Chiefs were almost dominating the game for three quarters. Their offense was beating the Falcons in almost every respect, and holding the Falcons high powered offense in check.

Losing Earl Thomas for likely the season, and post-season, will hurt. But Seattle can still beat any team on any given day. Sorry Chewy, but your team was pulverized in every regard last night by a superior team. I have to wonder if Thomas even should have been playing? Would one more week of rest have allowed him to heal more and be healthy the rest of the season?

Props to the Lions who now, actually do look like the best team in the NFC North. And they did it on both sides of the ball. Though at times. Aaron Rodgers and the Pack did look impressive in the snow.

Where has this Ravens/Bengals/Cardinals team been all year? All three posted impressive wins against good teams.

Nice win for the Steelers over the Giants to go 7-5. And a nice win for Tampa to do the same, and move into a tie with Atlanta.

The Raiders again show prowess late in the game, mostly on offense, but again Kalil Mack looks like DPOY with his big plays. Oakland makes me wonder if they are close against any team in the NFL in the 4th quarter, they will win. They're OL will overpower other lines, Carr can complete clutch passes, and even their defense seems to adapt.

Finally, the toilet of the league, the SF 49ers. Kaep had one good run, but couldn't throw the ball at all, like, literally. He would drop back, hesitate, and either get sacked, try to run, or throw an incomplete pass. He was 1-4, completing just one single short pass. He was then was benched for Gabbert, who played....almost as bad. The 49ers had 6 net yards passing all day. SIX! The entire 49 team is just deplorable. Worse than just bad play, they seemed to me like they've many times quit. I watch some of the Cleveland games too, and they don't have the players to even been good now, but they don't seem to give up like the Niners do.

Props to Matt Barkley, who despite playing in the same snowy conditions, and often facing pressure himself, again played well, with some nice throws down the field on target. Playing against the 49ers isn't saying much, but I again start to wonder if this is the Barkley people thought they'd one day see in the NFL?

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

ChewbaccaDefense said:

#H8thman
While I assure you that I'm not a Panthers fan...... I also share your loathing of Seattle. The coach makes me want to ,,,,go all copperhead supporter on him!!!! :lol:

What is it about this year and the Panthers? I know there are injury's but something else is causing them trouble. I don't watch their games enough to know. But when the Saints played them I was at the dome. The Panthers were off much of the game.

Regarding the Panthers woes, I'm somewhat reminded of the 2008 and 2009 Titans. In 2008 they started 10-0, finished 13-3 (could have been 14-2, but sat everyone in week 17) and were the best team in the NFL. They then lost a close, somewhat controversial playoff game to the Ravens. Even though they turned the ball over three times and won ever stat, a late non-call did them in. It was supposed to be their year, yet they somehow, lost. That SB was won by Pittsburgh, who Tennessee easily beat in week 16.

Heading into the next year, the Titans still had their core players in place. After losing a close, tough opener to the Steelers in OT, they proceeded to lose another close game the next week, to Houston. Then another, and another... somehow starting the season 0-6, after a blowout loss to NE in the snow. They played better later in the season, but missed the playoffs.

My point being this. When you were so close the year before, and your expectations are so high now, to lose some close, tough games, can play on your psyche in ways it wouldn't another team with the same record and same situation, and that potentially cascades into more losses.

Another factor, similar to that Titan team, is that other teams who may have little chance at making the playoffs look at beating the one-season removed from 15-1 Panthers as their chance at something to hang their hat on.

I also think Cam tries to take too much on his shoulders. We saw this a little in the Super Bowl, but much more this season. He's an excellent player, but not a perfect one, though maybe too often tries to be.

Also, if you did watch the game last night, I believe Cris Collinsworth pointed out more than once that the Panthers had serious OL issues, and while the plethora of DB's they have to replace Josh Norman have often been okay, none are Norman. That probably has some to do with it as well.

on3m@n@rmy said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:

#H8thman
Then you'd love this. Guess who?
[EDIT - Yeah, did that in hurry with no check. This is what I was going for:
http://makeagif.com/zzrk9B ]

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

If I said Brady looked like he was maybe taking a step down if not in decisions, but in throws, I was proven wrong this week. He looked as MVP sharp as ever before.

That KC-Atlanta game was indeed a wild finish. Having said that, the Chiefs were almost dominating the game for three quarters. Their offense was beating the Falcons in almost every respect, and holding the Falcons high powered offense in check.

Losing Earl Thomas for likely the season, and post-season, will hurt. But Seattle can still beat any team on any given day. Sorry Chewy, but your team was pulverized in every regard last night by a superior team. I have to wonder if Thomas even should have been playing? Would one more week of rest have allowed him to heal more and be healthy the rest of the season?

Props to the Lions who now, actually do look like the best team in the NFC North. And they did it on both sides of the ball. Though at times. Aaron Rodgers and the Pack did look impressive in the snow.

Where has this Ravens/Bengals/Cardinals team been all year? All three posted impressive wins against good teams.

Nice win for the Steelers over the Giants to go 7-5. And a nice win for Tampa to do the same, and move into a tie with Atlanta.

The Raiders again show prowess late in the game, mostly on offense, but again Kalil Mack looks like DPOY with his big plays. Oakland makes me wonder if they are close against any team in the NFL in the 4th quarter, they will win. They're OL will overpower other lines, Carr can complete clutch passes, and even their defense seems to adapt.

Finally, the toilet of the league, the SF 49ers. Kaep had one good run, but couldn't throw the ball at all, like, literally. He would drop back, hesitate, and either get sacked, try to run, or throw an incomplete pass. He was 1-4, completing just one single short pass. He was then was benched for Gabbert, who played....almost as bad. The 49ers had 6 net yards passing all day. SIX! The entire 49 team is just deplorable. Worse than just bad play, they seemed to me like they've many times quit. I watch some of the Cleveland games too, and they don't have the players to even been good now, but they don't seem to give up like the Niners do.

Props to Matt Barkley, who despite playing in the same snowy conditions, and often facing pressure himself, again played well, with some nice throws down the field on target. Playing against the 49ers isn't saying much, but I again start to wonder if this is the Barkley people thought they'd one day see in the NFL?
Surgery and 6 months recovery for Earl Thomas. So, yep he's done through the post-season. Did Earl return too early? Maybe. He was held out for a shoulder injury, and this new injury is to the leg. The way he plays, it would have happened with or without the shoulder. I'm sure Kam feels bad, which is who Earl collided with.

Re: KC/ATL whacky finish, Eric berry with a pic-6 AND a pick-2 in the same game. That has to be a first. If not, it has to be a first to win it being down by one, then all of a sudden up by one.

Re: Pete Carroll haters, the same was true when he was at USC. Nobody liked any of the hyped up sideline energy. But I'm glad we have him.

Couple quick points / questions on the SEA/CAR game: 1) benching Newton for one play for breaking the dress code resulted in a TD for Seattle, & 2) what was Luke Kueckly so p!ssed off about on the sideline when SEA scored the TD by Lockett on the jet sweep? Probably will never know the answer to that. He was more than mad, he was disgusted.

Re:

ChewbaccaDefense said:

#H8thman

Oh come on Chewie, tell us what you really think!

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

The 49ers are in disarray. Their home crowds are way down, they are having run ins with the local council, there are rumors going around that their GM is on the way out. Kaep has voided his contract for next year and just sold his house. Should have taken the Denver job Kaep. Many people are assuming that Chip will get another year but I'm not so sure. They dumped all of the coaches last year after a 5-11 season and they won't get close to that this year. I don't think they are tanking as there are too many players playing for jobs next season. Baalke fiddled around the edges last year when they had plenty of money to spend, they hired no free agents of note, the draft picks have been mediocre at best even though they might improve the 49ers desperately need play makers now. The QB situation has been a constant problem then the sideshow with Kaep and the fallout.

To be honest Jed York may bow to pressure and do exactly what he did last year and start all over again. What does he have to lose ? Chip's name won't save him. Tomsula was a first year head coach and had five wins.The entire roster needs a makeover also as they are carrying too many pretenders. Torrey Smith is on a 20 million contract and barely touches the ball in any game. They badly need a QB who can game manage, pass rushers, quality linebackers and wide receivers with talent. That's a big order for any team and then you have the coaches, Jim O'Neil the DC who came from the Browns which was a really strange hire and their inability to defend against the run, breaking records while doing it, and the whole topic of Chip Kelly and his offense and how effective it is. If they dump Kelly it will be four head coaches in four years. If Kelly survives it will be by the skin of his teeth. They interviewed Adam Gase last year ! It looks more and more like Kaep will be gone next year if anyone wants him and this time he probably won't be too picky about salary. Who stays out of Gabbert and Ponder is another question. One of them will be gone at least and they have to draft a QB for the future. They drafted Driskel last year but cut him. There has been talk of Romo but he would be too big a risk and they didn't want RGIII last year, and many experienced QBs won't want to come to the 49ers at the moment. Unbelievably there was even talk of Manziel a few months ago. Not serious talk I hope.

I feel so bad for Earl Thomas. He is absolutely one of the key players, if not THE key player on the D for the Hawks. He's been playing so well and been so consistent ever since he was drafted by the Hawks. He is such a good guy too. Terrible luck for him and for the team. The season is lost for him, but I hope the tweet he sent out after the game was just out of frustration and spur of the moment rather than premature retirement planning. He'll be missed, but here's hoping the surgery is successful and he makes a complete and swift recovery and is back at full tilt next season. He'll be needed!

As for the positives, what a performance all around for the Hawks! The OL was great, Wilson did his bit, Rawls looked great, the receivers were solid, the defense bullied the Panthers and this is looking much better than the 14-5 of last week.

Heading to Green Bay next. Playing Green Bay in Green Bay is never easy, no matter the Packers' record. They played a good game yesterday and Rodgers will still feel like they have a shot, albeit an outside one, of making the playoffs, so this will be a great test for the Hawks. They have to treat it as a playoff game. I think they've had their 'ugly games' behind them and will now be playing at a higher level consistently. They more or less have the division wrapped up, but a win against the Packers will see them through, I am fairly certain. The Cowboys look like they are uncatchable right now and they will get the #1 seed and home field advantage. I think the Hawks will be ok with the #2nd seed, if things stay the same until the end of the regular season. They'll get a bye and then home field in the divisional game.

TRENDING THREADS