• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 288 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
How valuable is a quarterback? Consider this, if you look at TQR ratings that ESPN puts together, and the traditional passer rating for that matter, you find the list looks like this.

1. Matt Ryan
2. Tom Brady
3. Dak Prescott
4. Aaron Rodgers

Roethlesberger and Smith are 10th and 11th.

The only other QB on the NFL stats, depending on how you crunch them, that is in this elite, is Drew Brees, who throws for an insane amount of yards on a team with no defense. Brees will end up on the HOF, and no one questions if he were on a better team, he'd still likely be in the playoffs as well.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

Saints blew a few games this season but it would be interesting to compare the Saints rushing yards against the catching. But with Brees you would be foolish to have too much of a running game, he has been so consistent for so long. Replace Prescott with Brees from your list and I think you have the four best QBs in the game and there are a few others on weaker teams that are also good but these ones are the elite. Prescott will only get better. I will be interested to see what McVay can do with Goff as it was said he did great things with Cousins. It's too early to call Goff a bust in a team like the Rams even though Prescott, Lynch and Wentz adapted quicker in better teams of course.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
How valuable is a quarterback? Consider this, if you look at TQR ratings that ESPN puts together, and the traditional passer rating for that matter, you find the list looks like this.

1. Matt Ryan
2. Tom Brady
3. Dak Prescott
4. Aaron Rodgers

The only other QB on the NFL stats, depending on how you crunch them, that is in this elite, is Drew Brees, who throws for an insane amount of yards on a team with no defense. Brees will end up on the HOF, and no one questions if he were on a better team, he'd still likely be in the playoffs as well.

Saints blew a few games this season but it would be interesting to compare the Saints rushing yards against the catching. But with Brees you would be foolish to have too much of a running game, he has been so consistent for so long. Replace Prescott with Brees from your list and I think you have the four best QBs in the game and there are a few others on weaker teams that are also good but these ones are the elite. Prescott will only get better. I will be interested to see what McVay can do with Goff as it was said he did great things with Cousins. It's too early to call Goff a bust in a team like the Rams even though Prescott, Lynch and Wentz adapted quicker in better teams of course.
Lynch adapted quicker? I don't think so...he was given the opportunity to win the starting job in preseason but struggled badly. He started two regular season games for the injured Siemian, and again performed badly. Going into the Broncos' meaningless season ending game with the Raiders, Kubiak started Siemian instead of Lynch, which suggested that he's not ready. This is Elway's boy - drafted as the team's first pick in the draft (3rd QB chosen & 26th player OA). He's probably got one more shot at starting next season, unless Elway throws a curve ball and pursues another QB.

IMO, Goff might be the next big QB bust if he doesn’t show significant improvement next season. You can't be the first overall player chosen and not only expect to start from day one, but also perform adequately. Either the Ram's "draft experts" missed badly on his draft status (a la JaMarcus Russell) or he's just not putting forth the effort. Not fair, but that's the NFL, and besides these 1st round QB picks make big bucks nowadays without ever having to prove themselves first (Goff's contract is for 4 yrs at 27.9 million with a whopping 18.6 million guaranteed!).

Nomad said:
movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

1. Matt Ryan
2. Tom Brady
3. Dak Prescott
4. Aaron Rodgers

Lynch adapted quicker? I don't think so...he was given the opportunity to win the starting job in preseason but struggled badly. He started two regular season games for the injured Siemian, and again performed badly. Going into the Broncos' meaningless season ending game with the Raiders, Kubiak started Siemian instead of Lynch, which suggested that he's not ready. This is Elway's boy - drafted as the team's first pick in the draft (3rd QB chosen & 26th player OA). He's probably got one more shot at starting next season, unless Elway throws a curve ball and pursues another QB.

IMO, Goff might be the next big QB bust if he doesn’t show significant improvement next season. You can't be the first overall player chosen and not only expect to start from day one, but also perform adequately. Either the Ram's "draft experts" missed badly on his draft status (a la JaMarcus Russell) or he's just not putting forth the effort. Not fair, but that's the NFL, and besides these 1st round QB picks make big bucks nowadays without ever having to prove themselves first (Goff's contract is for 4 yrs at 27.9 million with a whopping 18.6 million guaranteed!).

I admit that I never saw Lynch play much but Goff was off the field for much longer and you are right about the NFL and the expectations for top draft picks. But new QBs have been sat in the past sometimes for more than a season but maybe not so much number one draft picks. Wentz, Prescott and Lynch are also noticeably stronger than Goff who looks frail and probably won't absorb punishment very well. I have a feeling that trainers will try and bulk Goff up a bit in the off season. Although Rodgers also absorbs a lot of punishment and he isn't very big either. A lot of people queried the Rams investing so much in Goff and whether he was worth it. Wentz has done pretty well although not as good as Prescott obviously. Browns, 49ers and a few other teams will be looking for a good draft QB next season. But as usual not many can agree on whether some of the best ones are worth a high draft pick or whether it's better to look for a free agent and try and develop their existing QBs. Rams have no choice in that regard as the back ups are not much good either. McVay should be good for Goff.

Re:

leftover pie said:
Good to see the packers finally win a close playoff game, that last kick wobbled so much.

The Cowboys should still be pleased with their season - a lot to look forward to, could probably swap Romo for a few key pieces and take an extra step next year.
I had been saying all week that the "Pack is Back," and what a show against Jerry's boys. Still hard to believe that this team was 4-6 at one point in the season and McCarthy was on the hotseat. Now they've reeled off 8 in a row. Dallas should have been more aware that you can't leave Rodgers with 40 seconds left and one TO on his own 25 when he just needs to get into FG range. And speaking of FGs...how about that Mason Crosby, (i.e., Mr. Clutch). A season long 56 yarder and the game winning 51 yarder (twice!), on the road in a hostile environment.

Got to wonder how fuming mad Jerry Jones is. A 13-3 season, #1 seed & home-field advantage, 2 weeks to prepare...all down the toilet in your opening playoff game. Opportunities don't come along this often when you win 13 games and your star QB is able to stay healthy the entire season - just go ask Oakland. Will Jason Garrett have some "explaining" to do???

I like GB's chances against Atlanta. The Pack is RED hot right now and playing with tremendous confidence...sometimes that's all you need to win in the playoffs. :)

Mike McCarthy was never on the hot seat, That was something made up by the media. Packer management have confirmed this,

Jason Garreett isn't on any hot seat either. No possible way. They have a young team, and just barely got beat by the hottest team with the best player in football.

As to next week, I'll take Green Bay over Atlanta, and New England over Pittsbirgh. A New England-Green Bay, Rodgers/Brady Super Bowl would be a real treat to see.

movingtarget said:
Nomad said:
movingtarget said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

1. Matt Ryan
2. Tom Brady
3. Dak Prescott
4. Aaron Rodgers

I admit that I never saw Lynch play much but Goff was off the field for much longer and you are right about the NFL and the expectations for top draft picks. But new QBs have been sat in the past sometimes for more than a season but maybe not so much number one draft picks. Wentz, Prescott and Lynch are also noticeably stronger than Goff who looks frail and probably won't absorb punishment very well. I have a feeling that trainers will try and bulk Goff up a bit in the off season. Although Rodgers also absorbs a lot of punishment and he isn't very big either. A lot of people queried the Rams investing so much in Goff and whether he was worth it. Wentz has done pretty well although not as good as Prescott obviously. Browns, 49ers and a few other teams will be looking for a good draft QB next season. But as usual not many can agree on whether some of the best ones are worth a high draft pick or whether it's better to look for a free agent and try and develop their existing QBs. Rams have no choice in that regard as the back ups are not much good either. McVay should be good for Goff.
I'll agree Goff could be the next QB bust. In the first place, I never understood why he was picked (Rams) so high and giving up so much in draft picks for the rights to draft him. I only watched 2 of his complete college games and he stunk those up; one vs. WSU and the other probably UW (tho I forgets). And it was not so much because of frailty. It was poor decisions and inaccuracy.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Mike McCarthy was never on the hot seat, That was something made up by the media. Packer management have confirmed this,

Jason Garreett isn't on any hot seat either. No possible way. They have a young team, and just barely got beat by the hottest team with the best player in football.

As to next week, I'll take Green Bay over Atlanta, and New England over Pittsbirgh. A New England-Green Bay, Rodgers/Brady Super Bowl would be a real treat to see.
Agree on McCarthy and Garrett never on the hot seat this season, or ever in McCarthy's case. About 3 years ago (+ or - a year) Garrett might have been on the hot seat, but he was the perfect man to weather Jerry Jones' influence. By weathering, I mean he seemed to be a pretty good 'yes' man and did not challenge the influence Jones put on him. The way the Dallas team is built (players and age), I think Dallas will be a contender for a long time, so Garrett should also be safe for quite a while. Also, Jerry Jones has shown some restraint with Jason in terms of not hitting the eject button (contrary to quite a few lower tier teams that fire/hire in rapid fire). I don't know, but I'd bet Jason and Jerry have a pretty good working relationship.

AFC Championship: I'll take NE over PIT in NE. Head to head, the two played in PIT in week 7 when a Roethlisberger-less (Landry filled in) PIT lost 27-16. [game stats link: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2016102311/2016/REG7/patriots@steelers#menu=gameinfo&tab=analyze]. Statistically over the regular season, the two teams are similar with NE edging PIT out in just about every category [http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2017012201/2016/POST20/steelers@patriots#menu=gameinfo&tab=analyze].
That said, in NE, PIT up against that HC and QB, RDE Harrison up against LT Solder means Harrison won't get as many shots on Brady like he did KC's Smith, all points to a NE win.

NFC Championship: Head to head these two teams played in week 8 in Atlanta with Atlanta winning 33-32. The stats from that game are so similar for both teams that the stats can hardly be used as an indicator of what is to come. [game stats link: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/20161...o|contentId:0ap3000000731247&analyze=boxscore]
Since then the GB downhill-rolling snowball has picked up sizable momentum. Still, this game is too close for me to call. So, I'm going with my sentimental pick and say (hope) Atlanta wins just because it is their turn and GB has had more than their fair share. Plus I like HC Dan Quinn, the former Seattle DC. So he is kind of my homme.

The two hottest teams in the NFL are still in it, the Patriots and Packers, and I don't see the Steelers and Falcons upsetting them.

When you consider where the Packers were at around Thanksgiving week, having given up a combined 89 points to the Titans and Redskins, two teams that really haven't figured into the playoff picture all season, and also a loss to the Colts IN Green Bay, it's been quite a turnaround for them. Their defense isn't lights out, but so far it almost doesn't matter, as Rodgers and the offense are really clicking. The Packers almost let the game slip away, but held up, just. I don't think the Falcons are quite as dangerous as the Cowboys, certainly not as deep, but their offense is still very potent. It's also in Atlanta, indoors, but that will help the Packers just as much as the Falcons. No real elements to worry about, apart from the home crowd giving support to the Falcons. I think it will be high scoring. Maybe over 40 points for the winning team. I say Packers 49 Falcons 35. Maybe too much, but hey...

The Patriots have been good from day one this season and they obviously have the experience, but the Steelers and Roethlisberger have been here many times before as well and have the hardware, so they will definitely not be overawed by playing against the Patriots on the road. Both of these teams have better defenses than their NFC counterparts, though this game could be high scoring as well. There is a possibility of a "QB shootout" where both Brady and Roethlisberger get in rhythm and it's a bad-and-forth game. I'd give the edge to Brady. 38-28.

Alpe d'Huez said:

Not with confidence but I will take the Falcons and New England for the SB even though the Patriots did not impress me much against the Texans who kept shooting themselves in the foot with mistakes. If both teams lost I wouldn't be surprised as these teams are pretty closely matched. Green Bay are definitely the team with momentum. I think the Cowboys will be disappointed but not that much after their past few seasons. I agree with the people that say that the Cowboys are a year or two away from the SB. Garrett is up for coach of the year so he won't be going anywhere. If the Packers had not made the play offs some people thought McCarthy's job was in jeopardy but it could have been media talk. I wouldn't trust team management commentary either in that regard. I would like to see the Falcons win the SB just for a change to the record books and they play an entertaining game but first they have to get past Rodgers and the Packers. To see the emotion of Rodgers and McCarthy after the Dallas game just shows that Green Bay really think this could be their year and also shows what sort of player Rodgers is. Middle of the season many people were saying Rodgers was in a slump and their season could be done. Should be two very interesting games.

Alpe d'Huez said:

You mean Packer mgmt has confirmed that he's "no longer" on the hot seat? Lol. Do you have a source from Packer mgmt stating hat he was never on the hot seat during the first half of season? (I can't find anything). OTOH, there's numerous mainstream media sources that had him clearly listed on a HC hot seat list at mid-season, along with likes of Ryan, McCoy, Kelly, etc:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/ct-mike-mccarthy-rex-ryan-nfl-hot-seat-coaches-20161123-story.html

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/07/ugly-home-losses-lack-of-juice-put-mike-mccarthy-firmly-on-the-hot-seat/

On Garrett: I never said he was on any "hot seat." I surmised that he might have some explaining to do on the way the last few mins of the game were managed. Recall when Prescott hit Whitten with a nice pass in GB territory near FG range with a minute or so left...and they subsequently spike the ball? Next on 2nd & 10, they throw to Beasley for 7, but he goes out of bounds again stopping the clock. Now on 3rd & 3, and firmly in FG range, they throw the ball and it's deflected at the line of scrimmage, again stopping the clock for GB. Why not just run the ball with Elliott? - if you don't get the first down you at least force GB to use it's last precious TO - the one Rodgers needed when he was sacked. If Rodgers doesn't have that TO, then regulation pretty much runs out before they could get into FG range and off they go into OT. Like I said you can't leave QBs like Rodgers, Brady, Stafford, Ryan, Big Ben, etc, with 40 secs and a TO at their 25 when they just need to get into FG range...they'll eat up a defense almost every time.

And anyway what's so great about Garrett? In 6 yrs with the Cowboys he's 1-2 in the playoffs with no NFC Championship appearances and 2 eliminations in their opening round (0-2 against the Pack). This is the high & mighty Dallas Cowboys, i.e., "America's Team," were talking about here. Jerry Jones owner...and GM. I think it was a colossal choke that they lost at home in their opening playoff game; 13-3, #1 seed. and 2 weeks to prepare, Lol. And it's not like the Cowboys haven't had any talent the last few years. Btw, coaches have been fired for choking like that. Recall the Bronces 2015 home lost to Indy in the the first round of the playoffs. The Broncos were 13-3, #1 seed, 2 weeks to prepare, and spanked by Indy. And "Foxy" was shown the door. Elway then hires Kubiak and he gets the job done by going 13-3 and winning the SB, despite losing Manning for almost half the season. Now that's execution and winning. When Elway took the GM job he promised Bowlen a SB...and he delivered. What's Garrett done with the Cowboys? In fact, none of the Cowboy coaches have done anything spectacular since 1995, the last time they went to the SB.

I fail to see what's so great about the Garrett...a 13-3 and division title season flushed down the toilet in their opening playoff game. But I guess people can drink the Kool-aid with "America's Team."

This news made me puke, and if greed is not enough, its another reason to say screw the NFL. Who really NEEDS the NFL anyway. Not wants, but needs. A real professioanal business person who's job it is to represent or sell their company's products never degrades their competition. Instead they do their best to point out how their product is better in some way. But never degrade or stoop to calling the competition a$$holes.
So what does PIT's Antonio Brown do? This S!:
http://uproxx.com/sports/antonio-brown-facebook-live-steelers-chiefs/
GO PATRIOTS!

on3m@n@rmy said:
This news made me puke, and if greed is not enough, its another reason to say screw the NFL. Who really NEEDS the NFL anyway. Not wants, but needs. A real professioanal business person who's job it is to represent or sell their company's products never degrades their competition. Instead they do their best to point out how their product is better in some way. But never degrade or stoop to calling the competition a$$holes.
So what does PIT's Antonio Brown do? This S!:
http://uproxx.com/sports/antonio-brown-facebook-live-steelers-chiefs/
GO PATRIOTS!

Some people can't help shooting themselves in the foot.

I watched the whole thing, and have concluded Brown is just naive, more than anything. For the most part he's just talking to his fans and thanking them for their support and talking with other players who are happy they won. Had the edited the damned video to show just that, it would have been a great video for fans. Instead, he's such a knucklehead he wasn't even thinking about the consequences of what may happen doing it live if someone said something. Someone like, oh, say the head coach.

It also hurts Tomlin in that he's perceived as a somewhat disciplined, thoughtful coach. I mean, the man went to VMI. This makes him look like a thug player.

CAP carryover numbers were tweeted by the NFLPA. Carryover money can be added to the CAP allowed for each team. Some teams (9ers, Jags, Browns, at $38M, $39M, $50M respectively) really could benefit IF there will be free agents available that fit their needs. Romo may get released. So that situation may get interesting. After the 9ers at $38M, there are Titans at $24M and Panthers at $13M. Then there are a handful of teams in the $6M to $8M area, followed by the bulk of teams.
See every team's CAP carryover $$$ at this NFLPA tweet:
https://t.co/uDNgOZfn6O

C2atC_PUUAErqs4.jpg:small

Kaepernick out if 9ers hire Kyle Shanahan?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...l-end-in-49ers-does-not-fit-shanahans-offense

Then what for Kap? NFL execs having mixed views signing Kap? See one reason why in this article:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/colin-kaepernick-protest-mark-offseason-article-1.2933038
Kaepernick’s national anthem protest is a lame excuse to not sign Kap, but the distractions could be good reason to not sign the guy. That all depends on how new teammates respond to Kap. Come together as one, and all could be just fine. But accuracy and read issues mentioned in the Bleacher Report video link above will be other legit reasons. In fact, those kind of playing issues are likely what would drive him out of SF, considering his teammates just voted him the "49ers’ most courageous and inspirational player", a characteristic that I would not think would lead to distraction. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...courageous-player-teammates-article-1.2929115

on3m@n@rmy said:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...l-end-in-49ers-does-not-fit-shanahans-offense

Then what for Kap? NFL execs having mixed views signing Kap? See one reason why in this article:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/colin-kaepernick-protest-mark-offseason-article-1.2933038
Kaepernick’s national anthem protest is a lame excuse to not sign Kap, but the distractions could be good reason to not sign the guy. That all depends on how new teammates respond to Kap. Come together as one, and all could be just fine. But accuracy and read issues mentioned in the Bleacher Report video link above will be other legit reasons. In fact, those kind of playing issues are likely what would drive him out of SF, considering his teammates just voted him the "49ers’ most courageous and inspirational player", a characteristic that I would not think would lead to distraction. http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...courageous-player-teammates-article-1.2929115

Most people expected Kaep to stay for one more season only if Chip survived which didn't happen so I think he's gone. Oddly there is talk about him going to the Bills which was the only place where he received a really nasty reception on their road games. Some people were hanging Kaep effigies outside the ground, it was quite bizarre. The booing was more than noticeable. This talk is around because Tyrod Taylor is a similar player to Kaep and his future is also up in the air. Also rumors doing the rounds that Rivers wants out of the Chargers and does not want to go to LA. He and his manager have since denied a possible trade to the 49ers and they have said that he does not have a trade clause or transfer clause in his contract anyway. Why the 49ers would want to base their rebuild on a 35 year old QB is anyone's guess which is why the same talk about Romo won't happen either. There is talk of Romo going to Denver or the Cardinals which is more believable. If Kaep leaves the 49ers my guess is that Thad Lewis who was Chip's man will also be gone plus either Gabbert or Ponder will also go. I don't think they will both go, one will be needed as a back up.

I think it was a mistake putting Jeff Driskel on the practice squad where he was picked up by the Bengals but I guess it was a numbers game as they had three QBs plus Lewis on IR. Driskel showed in the preseason that he was raw but also talented. The Bengals might be able to develop him. I think they should have cut Gabbert or Ponder or put them on the practice squad and kept Driskel but no doubt the 49ers will draft a QB in a year which might not turn out to be a good one for quality QBs. Chip is being interviewed for the OC at the Jaguars. Tom Coughlin who also holds a management position at the Jags now said he wanted to pick up Chip years go as the Giants OC but Chip preferred to look for a head coaching position but it seems like Coughlin is a fan of his offensive schemes anyway. Sounds like Chip will get the Jags job. I think his college days are over at least that's the way he sees it but many others don't including some of the TV so called experts like Stephen Smith. Smith reckons Chip is not NFL material full stop. Others reckon with a better roster and more time the team would have picked up. It's all conjecture now.

movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

Most people expected Kaep to stay for one more season only if Chip survived which didn't happen so I think he's gone. Oddly there is talk about him going to the Bills which was the only places where he received a really nasty reception on their road games. Some people were hanging Kaep effigies outside the ground, it was quite bizarre. The booing was more than noticeable. This talk is around because Tyrod Taylor is a similar player to Kaep and his future is also up in the air. Also rumors doing the rounds that Rivers wants out of the Chargers and does not want to go to LA. He and his manager have since denied a possible trade to the 49ers and they have said that he does not have a trade clause or transfer clause in his contract anyway. Why the 49ers would want to base their rebuild on a 35 year old QB is anyone's guess which is why the same talk about Romo won't happen either. There is talk of Romo going to Denver or the Cardinals which is more believable. If Kaep leaves the 49ers my guess is that Thad Lewis who was Chip's man will also be gone plus either Gabbert or Ponder will also go. I don't think they will both go, one will be needed as a back up.

I think it was a mistake putting Jeff Driskel on the practice squad where he was picked up by the Bengals but I guess it was a numbers game as they had three QBs plus Lewis on IR. Driskel showed in the preseason that he was raw but also talented. The Bengals might be able to develop him. I think they should have cut Gabbert or Ponder or put them on the practice squad and kept Driskel but no doubt the 49ers will draft a QB in a year which might not turn out to be a good one for quality QBs. Chip is being interviewed for the OC at the Jaguars. Tom Coughlin who also holds a management position at the Jags now said he wanted to pick up Chip years go as the Giants OC but Chip preferred to look for a head coaching position but it seems like Coughlin is a fan of his offensive schemes anyway. Sounds like Chip will get the Jags job. I think his college days are over at least that's the way he sees it but many others don't including some of the TV so called experts like Stephen Smith. Smith reckons Chip is not NFL material full stop. Others reckon with a better roster and more time the team would have picked up. It's all conjecture now.
The scuttlebutt on the sports talk shows is that Rivers does want out of SD and wants to play for the Broncos. Elway just hired Mike McCoy as OC, so that might be one factor why he would want to play here. However, I'm little skeptical of that ever happening because, as I mentioned previously, Lynch is Elway's boy, as he was drafted as the 3rd QB & 26th OA player taken in the 1st Rd. I think if either Rivers or Romo came to the MHC, it's hasta la vista Lynch. You can't have 1st RD QBs sitting the bench as backups making big bucks :(

The 49ers could you use a guy like Romo, if he can get past preseason without getting hurt. Lol. Kaep, IMO, would be a solid backup in the league. If he continues to start he'll just end up as another Fitzpatrick...and there's already enough of those type QBs in the league. Lol.

Nomad said:
movingtarget said:
on3m@n@rmy said:

Most people expected Kaep to stay for one more season only if Chip survived which didn't happen so I think he's gone. Oddly there is talk about him going to the Bills which was the only places where he received a really nasty reception on their road games. Some people were hanging Kaep effigies outside the ground, it was quite bizarre. The booing was more than noticeable. This talk is around because Tyrod Taylor is a similar player to Kaep and his future is also up in the air. Also rumors doing the rounds that Rivers wants out of the Chargers and does not want to go to LA. He and his manager have since denied a possible trade to the 49ers and they have said that he does not have a trade clause or transfer clause in his contract anyway. Why the 49ers would want to base their rebuild on a 35 year old QB is anyone's guess which is why the same talk about Romo won't happen either. There is talk of Romo going to Denver or the Cardinals which is more believable. If Kaep leaves the 49ers my guess is that Thad Lewis who was Chip's man will also be gone plus either Gabbert or Ponder will also go. I don't think they will both go, one will be needed as a back up.

The scuttlebutt on the sports talk shows is that Rivers does want out of SD and wants to play for the Broncos. Elway just hired Mike McCoy as OC, so that might be one factor why he would want to play here. However, I'm little skeptical of that ever happening because, as I mentioned previously, Lynch is Elway's boy, as he was drafted as the 3rd QB & 26th OA player taken in the 1st Rd. I think if either Rivers or Romo came to the MHC, it's hasta la vista Lynch. You can't have 1st RD QBs sitting the bench as backups making big bucks :(

The 49ers could you use a guy like Romo, if he can get past preseason without getting hurt. Lol. Kaep, IMO, would be a solid backup in the league. If he continues to start he'll just end up as another Fitzpatrick...and there's already enough of those type QBs in the league. Lol.

Well it looks like Kyle Shanahan is going to get the 49ers job if he wants it and Kaep is a bad fit for his offense anyway so he's gone. The Gabbert/ Kaep experiment needs to come to an end otherwise 49ers fans might start hurting themselves ! The only reason Kaep was so good in 2012/13 was because of the rest of the team surrounding him. Once those players retired and moved on players like Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, Lupati, Crabtreee, Gore, Borland and Vernon Davis. Staley and Bowman who were then at their best, Kaep did not look so good anymore. I think the only player remaining from 2013 is Joe Staley. Gabbert will get a back up job somewhere. They might keep Ponder for a back up. I wouldn't be taking a risk on Romo not for the money he will want. The Browns will be hoping RG3 can stay fit as well, from what I heard his few comeback games were pretty good. He just has to go to ground instead of taking hits all the time. Kaep is a better slider than a thrower but it doesn't win games !

TRENDING THREADS